[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

serious question about the makeup of our team
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/7/2004  12:15 AM
now, no reason to panic, but i think its fair to say that the top type teams have a stud frontcourt player of some kind--obviously we dont

now we have spent a LOt of money acquiring what i would consider two PG's which are our best assets.

the question, to me crawford is very small in terms of 2G he must weigh only 175-180 tops. i know there are other skinny 2G but like rip they tend to be taller and have that wiry strength.

if somehow this team stinks or looks extremely medicore

would we be interested in a Rahim Telfair Patterson+ a number 1 pick for Starbury and KT--moving jamal back to 1 with telfair backing him up and using our number 1 picks on two big athletic strong players?
or do we sit on what we have and wait until 1-2 years from now?
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
vdfebduderocks
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #752
11/7/2004  12:25 AM
crawford's a young Sprewell in body, not look! he'll be fine. The SGs are fine. He just needs to get quicker and play better D. We do need frontcourt players with a new SF who rebounds, plays D, and shoots from inside and outside. needs to be 6-8 or taller with a muscular frame who can also run, but not a big guy. (a la Marion, Odom, Artest, etc.) get rid of TT and get a Jim Jackson, Najera, Bender, Bruce Bowen, or someone like that. they need to be an all-round force who scores, rebounds, blocks, and passes. we don't need someone playing out of position. A real SF The PF needs a guy like Sweetney with the body, just a few inches taller at probably a 6-10 or higher. Needs to weigh at least 260, but needs to be quick, agile, good reflexes, an interior player on offensive and defensive side (ala McDyess before injury, Duncan, Brand, J O'Neal, Webber) who also has a mid range shot, but depends more on the low post dunk or hook, shot blocker, and great offensive and defensive rebounder who is a good passer. our Center needs to be a real center, at least 7 feet and higher, about 270 and higher, quick feet, not injury prone, BEST REBOUNDER ON TEAM, BEST SHOTBLOCKER and OVERALL DEFENDER on team, and low post threat. doesn't need a mid range jumper, but must be a good reflex guy and a passer. We have a PG,SG, but we need a SF, and C. Our PFs are adequate now

[Edited by - vdfebduderocks on 11/07/2004 00:26:48]
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/7/2004  12:38 AM
Isiah would only trade Marbury for a 4 or a 5 that is perennial All-Star who is still in his prime. Rahim doesn't qualify.

Sweetney is the only player on this roster who has a shot to be a stud front court player.

Briggs, you have suggested playing him 35 min. a night. I think that should, and probably will, happen soon.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/7/2004  12:53 AM
Crawford is not a young Sprewell in body. While sprewell looks skinny, he has always weighed close to 200 pounds. Sprewell was all-NBA defensive 1st team@ at 23 years old. Crawford is going to be 25 in a few months--two WAY different players. People forget how good Sprewell is, maybe because he played on the west coast or are not old enough to remember. Sprewell is/was a 2 WAy player Crawford is a pssy on the D.
RIP Crushalot😞
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/7/2004  1:22 AM
I agree. Spree was better at going to the hoop when he was Craw's age. Craw is better from the outside. Spree was a shut down defender at one time.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
11/7/2004  1:48 AM
now if you look back, having an experience floor captain such as h20 playing probably has more value for win win situation. where is the veteren leadership on the hardwood ?
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/7/2004  9:06 AM
Crawford has been quoted as saying that his weight is up to 196
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
11/7/2004  9:16 AM
Unfortunately, I think IT seriously needs to think about unloading either Marbury or Crawford for a big man. The reason is quite simple, if the goal is to win NOW, we need a big man. However, if IT is willing to wait it out and slowly but surely retool, then we'll have to make do with what is going to be a record that doesn't meet expectations.
s3231
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #544
USA
11/7/2004  9:29 AM
As much as we need a big man, I don't think the right thing to do is unload either Crawford or Marbury. We should be able to get one in the offseason or by next season with the expiring contracts that we will have in Baker, Nazr, Penny, Tim, etc. We have to be a little patient.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
simrud
Member: #474
USA
11/7/2004  9:45 AM
We have no makeup. We just grab the best available players we can get with our assets. Not suprising when doesnt work isnt it.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
11/7/2004  10:06 AM
Posted by simrud:

We have no makeup. We just grab the best available players we can get with our assets. Not suprising when doesnt work isnt it.

But Isiah said "This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future."

I guess conservative and wisely to Isiah means using up all your assets for whoever is available without rhyme or reason other than making it look like you're doing something with complete disregard for how the pieces fit.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
vdfebduderocks
11/7/2004  10:36 AM
then we would have got a center in the offseason. by the way, to prove my point about Craw and Spree, Craw is 6-5 190, Spree s 6-5 190. spree looks bigger because of the way he plays and of his hair. maybe someone should tell crawford that shooting mid range jumpers are as good as shooting perimeter shots
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/7/2004  11:26 AM
i thought that we needed to get out of the blocks quick to make a statement and really challenge for that 47-50 season. and more importantly was to win at home and establish the homecourt.

well both of those didn't happen yet and we all have to prepare for the very real possibility of the knicks starting off the season 1-7 or 2-6 like others have said.

that's a chaney team like start and a tough hole to climb out of.

but panic mode has set it too early and we all know our team is structurally flawed. BUT those that are panicking and going nuts are those that have put too high an expectation on this team. now the counter argument would be that the payroll is 100+mil which is valid.

it's tough b/c i have mixed emotions. but last night was a terrible loss, there's no way around it. boston coming off a tough game vs. indiana and we had 3 days rest. to get blown out like that was embarrassing, especially at home.

i think we all need to wait and see and figure out where we stand 20-25 games from now. and i think WE ALL hope for the best.

it's painfully obvious that we need h20 healthy just to prevent blowouts. and i also think it's obvious that we need to go to the post more and our only real player to do that everynight is sweetney. tim can based on the matchups, but we all know that tim's jersey # should be 33 1/3 for the percentage of games he shows up.

my milestones for this season has always been:

1. the most important thing to me was to find out if sweetney is our PF of the future. start him and give him 35 mins/night. no questions asked.

2. win 45-47 games and get to the 2nd round. that was the team goal.

let's start with #1 please.

brace yourselves everybody and get ready to shell out $200 on a webber jersey...
RonRon
Member: #246
11/7/2004  11:28 AM
i believe when acquring jamal crawford with marbary, IT had an image in his mind already. Our "big 3" marbary, crawford, t.thomas ... would be pusing the ball and going out on fast breaks. fugazy, extremley has sucked big time so far. My message to tim...."quit kickboxing and learn to use ur size and athleticsim to play ball"

Trevor Ariza should be part of this "big 3" on our future. He has great all round skills, athleticism, plays hard defense and GRABS RBs especially for his position. <<another lesson thomas needs a session on

Problem is that our frontcourt isnt enabling this to happen. Not only do we have problems in defending but we virtually cant grab a freakin rb to start a fast break.

We need a change in the frontcourt and it has to happen. This is why i pleaded hard for dampier because i believe his game will enable us for those fast breaks b4 the defense can set up on the other end.

u raise a great question briggs, we didnt have an identity last season after the trade, and we still dont. We did have one with van horn though. We were a jump shooting + rebounding team with spacing because we had decent shooters....eisley, houston, van horn, thomas
if we were to trade marbary, i would atleast try to package him with anderson, moochie, jyd. 2/3 is fine with me. those are probably 3/4 of the worse contracts on our roster. Houston wont be able to be traded with marbarys contract. Im also not interested in the portland deal neither.

RonRon
11/7/2004  11:39 AM
great post dj. We really need to know if sweetney is part of our future or not. I really like sweetney but I just dont think hes enuff in the frontcourt for us because we are extremly weak. I think Atlanta is the only team our frontcourt is stronger than in the league. With the development of wilcox, will the clippers be willing to make one more stupid move to benefit us? lol 2 first rd picks, tim thomas for brand? unfortanatly the only way we can possibly get this first round pick is if we traded sweetney for it. i was thinking of a team we can trade to that can ensure a high lottery and could use a PF and the only team i can come up with is Nets and atlanta. Almost every team in the league has a decent PF or a project on their hand already.
RonRon
11/7/2004  11:42 AM
the question, to me crawford is very small in terms of 2G he must weigh only 175-180 tops. i know there are other skinny 2G but like rip they tend to be taller and have that wiry strength.

Rip uses his quickness to always stay in front of his opponent and wisley uses ben wallace if he gets beat and for that extra help. Most importantly rip chooses to play d.

vdfebduderocks
11/7/2004  12:03 PM
time to play some team D like in Detroit.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
11/7/2004  3:24 PM
Posted by NYKDUNK:

Unfortunately, I think IT seriously needs to think about unloading either Marbury or Crawford for a big man. The reason is quite simple, if the goal is to win NOW
That's never been Isiah's only goal. He wouldn't have gone after young, talented players with their best days ahead of them if it was his goal.
serious question about the makeup of our team

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy