[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Did anyone see Ratliff on Sportscenter
Author Thread
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
11/6/2004  10:34 AM
He had 5 blocks in the first quarter and 9 for the game. And all of them were basically guys going for like layups & dunks. Thats 18pts stopped.

He would have definatly fit nicley here to start fast break opportunities. And improve our team defense drastically.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
AUTOADVERT
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/6/2004  12:11 PM
they just signed him+ he's very one-dimensional for all that money. to bad we couldnt somehow get alonzo here.
RIP Crushalot😞
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
11/6/2004  12:36 PM
Ratliff is still better than Alonzo. Briggs, I don't think Ratlliff is one dimensiona: he blocks, rebounds and plays excellent help defense. He's one of the best front court defenders in the game. His offense is better than Ben Wallace. I'm not saying he's the superstar that Big Ben is (Ben is a much better passer, rebounder, blocker, quicker, etc), but Ratliff is one of the few front line players who can change a game with his D.
¿ △ ?
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/6/2004  12:52 PM
he'd be the perfect fit. We don't need him to ever score a basket, we just need athletism defense and blocks! I doubt he'll be a Knick but Haislip might
BRIGGS
11/6/2004  12:57 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Ratliff is still better than Alonzo. Briggs, I don't think Ratlliff is one dimensiona: he blocks, rebounds and plays excellent help defense. He's one of the best front court defenders in the game. His offense is better than Ben Wallace. I'm not saying he's the superstar that Big Ben is (Ben is a much better passer, rebounder, blocker, quicker, etc), but Ratliff is one of the few front line players who can change a game with his D.

In your dreams. Ratliff is nothing compared to zo. If zo can play 27 minutes--hes going to get you what he gave last night pts rebounds blocks. on top of that portalnd JUST signed ratliff, its ludicrous to even mention his name? sign him for 30mm and then trade him without a replacement? why????
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
USA
11/6/2004  1:07 PM
if Zo plays 27min... Zo passes out after only 13 games and is in a hospital with doctors advising him to sit out the year or retire if he wants to live longer.

I'd take him for a year over Nazr though since at this point I'll trade Nazr for peanuts
Vmart
Member: #247
USA
11/6/2004  1:12 PM
I saw it but Zeke thinks shot blocks are overrated. I also saw Mutombo and the Knicks sure could use his slow azz. He turned the game around with his defense last night.
gunsnewing
USA
11/6/2004  1:35 PM
he did it for us last year.. remember the 10 blocks he had against the Nets last year. He can be very effective as long as he plays once every 2-3 games and never on back to back nights.
BRIGGS
11/6/2004  2:51 PM
by the way, Ratliff matched up with chris Wilcox Elton brand and Mike moore last night--here is how they fared.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2004110522
RIP Crushalot😞
BRIGGS
11/6/2004  2:55 PM
by the way thanks layden, you bypassed amare wilcox and boozer all in one draft. think about any of those guys on our team now. THEN we would be considered an elite team.
RIP Crushalot😞
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
11/6/2004  3:04 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

by the way, Ratliff matched up with chris Wilcox Elton brand and Mike moore last night--here is how they fared.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/boxscore?gid=2004110522
Well that is a bit unfair - If ratliff played 26 minutes then that's 26 minutes - 9 blocks is pretty good in my book. Ratliff is undoubtably a defensive stopper these days, especially due to the lack of good big men nowadays. Indeed, it was only one game, ratliff played 26 minutes, he got 9 blocks, and portland got the win.
http://allknicks.com
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/7/2004  1:24 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:

by the way thanks layden, you bypassed amare wilcox and boozer all in one draft. think about any of those guys on our team now. THEN we would be considered an elite team.

wrong about Wilcox...he was taken by the Clippers at #6 before we ever had a chance to pick him that year...Amare was a major oversight obviously, as was Boozer...imagine if Layden had asked DEN to draft Boozer instead of Frank Williams? the guy's averaging 24 & 12 so far this year...ya think we might have been able to use that type of production in our frontcourt?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/7/2004  1:29 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by BRIGGS:

wrong about Wilcox...he was taken by the Clippers at #6 before we ever had a chance to pick him that year...Amare was a major oversight obviously, as was Boozer...imagine if Layden had asked DEN to draft Boozer instead of Frank Williams? the guy's averaging 24 & 12 so far this year...ya think we might have been able to use that type of production in our frontcourt?

Dont make me cry...

[Edited by - KnicksFan on 11/07/2004 13:30:35]
Knicks_Fan
BRIGGS
11/7/2004  4:28 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by BRIGGS:

No, i know this by heart. wilcox was picked after us with 8 then amare was picked by pheonix and boozer was 1 pick before we selected milos at 36

basically we couldve fd up on pick 7 and still came away shining at pick 27 but it never happens for us. when we pick big its fred weiss or eric cehnisowrth
RIP Crushalot😞
s3231
Member: #544
USA
11/7/2004  4:43 PM
Posted by BRIGGS:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by BRIGGS:

No, i know this by heart. wilcox was picked after us with 8 then amare was picked by pheonix and boozer was 1 pick before we selected milos at 36

basically we couldve fd up on pick 7 and still came away shining at pick 27 but it never happens for us. when we pick big its fred weiss or eric cehnisowrth

Briggs is right, I also remember Wilcox being picked by the Clippers right after we picked Nene for Denver. I believe Dajuan Wagner was picked before us by Cleveland.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
11/7/2004  4:48 PM
CAREER TRANSACTIONS
Selected in the first round (8th overall) of the 2002 NBA Draft by the Los Angeles Clippers.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/chris_wilcox/index.html
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/7/2004  5:03 PM
have a little backbone guys.

Might as well add that denver passed amare twice! Blah blah blah.

Whouda could shoulda..............

Booze would not have developed on the bench anyway. Can't say history would be in favor with all the variable that come into play!

The question should be asking is this a new expensive mess? Or we jut panicking at the moment?
SKY
Member: #687
USA
11/7/2004  9:37 PM
It all comes down to this...

Lack of long-term strategy in building this team's future, plus having keen eyes for evaluating talent in drafts.

I've said this on other boards for the past few yrs, but team management and team building is no different from business. If you are just looking short-term, you most likely will be forced to make short-sighted, ill-advised move = patch work.

It's just like what many of the CEOs did in the 80s only looking to make profits while they're in charge so that they get big, fat bonuses at the end of their term. What happened as the result of that? They mortgaged the future of American corporate competitiveness, and it took years to straighten things out and become competitive again. The key lesson they learned was "the importance of R&D and Long term planning".

Now, think about what happened in Layden era and what's going on under Isiah. Trading away Ewing for junk, trading for McDyess, Marbury, TT & Nazr, and Crawford. These all seem panic moves (to a degree) to me, giving away too much (picks, players) for mediocrity. Things would have been better had the Knicks drafted good players with its picks, but they struck out on that front as well (except this yr out of sheer luck).

Some say that it's what comes with the territory. Lack of patience on the part of New Yorkers forces owners & management to look only short-term. But I for one would welcome the Knicks rebuilbig with open arms. Re-tooling under Layden made things worse, and if this current team continues to play awful, why not try something new and think long-term for once? Otherwise, we're stuck at where we are; $100 million mediocre team.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/7/2004  10:52 PM
Posted by SKY:

It all comes down to this...

Lack of long-term strategy in building this team's future, plus having keen eyes for evaluating talent in drafts.

I've said this on other boards for the past few yrs, but team management and team building is no different from business. If you are just looking short-term, you most likely will be forced to make short-sighted, ill-advised move = patch work.

It's just like what many of the CEOs did in the 80s only looking to make profits while they're in charge so that they get big, fat bonuses at the end of their term. What happened as the result of that? They mortgaged the future of American corporate competitiveness, and it took years to straighten things out and become competitive again. The key lesson they learned was "the importance of R&D and Long term planning".

Now, think about what happened in Layden era and what's going on under Isiah. Trading away Ewing for junk, trading for McDyess, Marbury, TT & Nazr, and Crawford. These all seem panic moves (to a degree) to me, giving away too much (picks, players) for mediocrity. Things would have been better had the Knicks drafted good players with its picks, but they struck out on that front as well (except this yr out of sheer luck).

Some say that it's what comes with the territory. Lack of patience on the part of New Yorkers forces owners & management to look only short-term. But I for one would welcome the Knicks rebuilbig with open arms. Re-tooling under Layden made things worse, and if this current team continues to play awful, why not try something new and think long-term for once? Otherwise, we're stuck at where we are; $100 million mediocre team.

So your saying same team, new faces"?
SKY
Member: #687
USA
11/8/2004  1:08 AM
Posted by Nalod:

So your saying same team, new faces"?

Yeah, pretty much. We may have more talented players than a yr ago, but these guys aren't gonna get it done and we're committed to them financially for a long time.

Like BRIGGS said, we need to build a team around a skilled big guys. That I think is the conerstone of a contending team. Now that's easier said than done, since skilled big men are a rare breed nowadays. So, the way to go is thru draft. But this team has not taken that road, and chose instead to obtain proven vets who are either going downhill or flashy yet inconsistent players with no track-record of winning.

How many ending contracts did we have since last yr? McDyess, Ward, Mutombo, Harrington, Trybanski. They've turned into Marbury, Penny, Crawford, Williams = total of over $200 million added to future payroll = less future flexibility. In the process, we gave away picks and young talents. Did we get a big man in return? NO. We could've done better there. Spree was traded for VH who was traded for TT. Spree was a pain in the ass, but on the court he's 10 times the player that TT is, and he's coming off the books at the end of this season.

What I'm saying is, this team has made too many questionable moves, and as long as they keep looking short-term, it's gonna continue. In business, you assess the what's so, create a new vision, analyze the gap, priortize, restructure, get rid of non-peforming assets, etc. What they're doing is like borrowing more money to repay bad debts. It won't work. If you do it right (ala Cavs, Nuggets) it'll take less time to reach the contender's status. This team need to trade a few players for picks. I don't mind either Marbury or Craford + others being traded for big man. The only untouchables are Sweetney and Ariza. Oh, and get a defensive minded coach who kows how to win, plus build a top notch scouting team.
Did anyone see Ratliff on Sportscenter

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy