[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Salary Cap Woes
Author Thread
BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
1/28/2002  11:48 PM
Isn't there any way we can cut Eisley or Knight or in the offseason say they didn't make the team because collectively they average about 5 minutes a game and they do absolutely nothing. Isn't there anyway the Knicks can just get rid of them, like releasing them or sending them to the NBDL or just offering them a buyout in the offseason. Christ, I get so angered because I know these two are the biggest reasons for the salary cap struggles. If you get rid of Eisley you can draft a point guard and getting rid of Knight opens up cap space. Does anyone know any ways we can get rid of them?
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
1/29/2002  4:44 AM
Knight? Keep him, he has serviceable height and showed some hustle.

Eisley and Knight arent our reason for the salary cap troubles, not even close. Eisley earns 4.5 something and Knight 3.6 mil. If you waive them they still count against the cap for at least two years. Our salary cap hit however is is somewhere around 85 mil.. Should be max 54 shouldn't it? That's the Luxury tax limit while the actual cap is 41 million.

What counts against our cap besides the players on the team?

Frederic Weiss, Vernon Maxwell, Luc Longley and Larry "Grandma" Johnson. That's somewhere around 20 million right there.

Ward 5.5
Jax 3.6
Eisley 4.5
Postell .5
Houston 12.5
Spree 11
Anderson 5.5
Robinson .5
KT 4.5
Spoon 4.5
Camby 6.5
Spencer .5
Othella 2.5
Knight 3.6

That's a cap hit of somewhere around 61 million. So even if you would waive the two you'd still have them count against the cap like Maxwell did or like LL and LJ.
knickgeek
Member: #46
USA
1/29/2002  3:03 PM
If cutting someone would free up a significant amount of cap space then these guys are good candidates. Otherwise, I think we should make use of them. If Knight works hard he can be an adequate player. He was improving on D and grabing a few rebounds. If he could do those things and not make any dumb mistakes he can contribute, sorta like Dr. Crash did. Besides (I hope you guys don't find this controversial) he's the only white boy on the team, so the Knicks will keep him just for token purposes.

I don't think Eisley has really had much of a chance - sure he played badly, but everyone was playing badly. I also think it can take some of these guys a while to fit in on a new team. Even Jax (I know - Howard Eisley is no Mark Jackson) is playing great now, but late last year (when he first came over for Childs) he was not.
knicksbabyyeah
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #100
Netherlands
1/29/2002  3:47 PM
Cutting or waiving someone with a guranteed contract, and all the players have guaranteed contracts, would only result in opening up a roster spot but you still have to pay them and they count against the cap.

If we were dedicated to clearing our salary cap woes we would have to trade for a large contract that expires in a year or two. Juwan Howard and Scottie Pippen for instance.
Caseloads
Member: #41
1/30/2002  8:08 AM
Posted by knicksbabyyeah:

Cutting or waiving someone with a guranteed contract, and all the players have guaranteed contracts, would only result in opening up a roster spot but you still have to pay them and they count against the cap.

If we were dedicated to clearing our salary cap woes we would have to trade for a large contract that expires in a year or two. Juwan Howard and Scottie Pippen for instance.
I say trade Allan Houston and fodder (Eisley/Anderson) for Pippen and some Portland Height/Picks...
Salary Cap Woes

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy