[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Analyzing the Knicks 3rd Qtr Collapse
Author Thread
LinToFields
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8993

11/13/2021  10:48 AM
Hey all, this is my first post here hoping it will generate some discussion about the Knicks faulty defensive scheme.

Knicks up 55-47 to begin the 3rd.

Heyward catches Barrett by surprise and sprints to basket for a 3 point play 55-49

Knick "run a play" for Fournier to cut to the middle but Mitch not knowing the play runs to the basket bringing his help defender over which surprises Fournier and he jumps in the air turning it over to Hayward. Knicks have 4 defenders back but for some reason Kemba is the one who takes Heyward who stops and hits an easy 2 over his head

55-51

This is when Thibs should have taken a timeout

Kemba walks the ball down court, makes a lazy pass to Randle who instead of moving his feet to get the ball reaches with his hand like an old fat guy playing pickup allowing the defender to slap it off Randle's hand which goes out of bounds through Randle's legs. This kind of play always gets me incensed about Randle because it's pure laziness. He had a similar turnover like this earlier. Constantly getting outhustled by hungrier players.

Ball drives past Fournier (who never stays in front of his man) Barrett comes to help (he is constantly leaving his man open in the corner) even though Randle is right there to defend Ball. Ball passes out to Heyward who missed open 3. This is a constant criticism I have for Thibs' defensive scheme because it happens on both the 1st and 2nd team. He constantly has corner defenders collapse to the paint even though they have no chance of defending the play, they end up in no man's land. Can someone explain the benefits of this scheme to me? Has anyone asked thibs?

Randle brings the ball up court and Plumlee comes to double Randle, Robinson instead of sprinting to the hoop a la Toppin, jogs down the lane allowing Plumlee to recover and block Mitch's layup easily. Robinson gets the foul call. Robinson hits one of two 56-51

Plumlee gets the ball up top and the Hornets run the same play to Hayward where he sprints by Barrett for an easy 2. This is Barrett’s problem, he's supposed to keep his eyes on his man and the ball. Instead of angling his body to see both he has his head totally turned to look at Plumlee. Hayward sees this and takes off 56-53

Walker brings the ball up court, no passes, no fake just takes a long 3 for an airball

Ball brings the ball down, goes around Barrett and kicks to the corner for an open Rozier. Again, Barrett can't stay in front of Ball and Kemba inexplicably comes to the paint as Ball drives to the paint.

56-56

AUTOADVERT
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/13/2021  1:55 PM
You’ve definitely hit the nail on the head with some of the problems this team has faced.

We had the Old Improved Randle for a few games, now we have the Old lame version from 2 years ago.

I think he can turn it around.

Mitch is probably hurt, should not be playing.

Agree that some of this is on Thibs.

Walker washed up, should move to the bench.

Great first post- welcome to UK!

Analyzing the Knicks 3rd Qtr Collapse

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy