[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

2022 free agency
Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/8/2021  12:45 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2021  12:46 AM
Never too early. I was looking at our cap situation. NBA salary cap is currently at $112 million. We are currently set at approximately $114 million next year; however, that figure includes Knox’s qualifying offer of $7.9 million which isn’t happening. Also includes a non-guaranteed $5.1 million salary for Taj. So the real figure is approximately $101 million not counting signing draft picks (oh, Noah’s contract finally coming off the books yay!)

Kyrie, Harden and Westbrook all have player options. I wonder if Kyrie’s anti-vaxx nonsense causes him to opt out of playing in Ny.

UFAs I’m interested in: Zach Lavine, Schroeder and, look who it is he just auditioned tonight, Ricky Rubio. I’m not sure how we sign any of those 3 unless we can maybe do stretch provision on another contract or find a way to dump a contract or sign and trade

AUTOADVERT
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

11/8/2021  1:51 PM
Frankly I don't think FA is where we make any noise. From now on if we want to make serious upgrades it has to be through trades. We have a surplus of draft picks now and some attractive role players on moveable contracts.

Donovan Mitchell, its time to come home

The Future is Bright!
Philc1

11/8/2021  2:20 PM
TPercy wrote:Frankly I don't think FA is where we make any noise. From now on if we want to make serious upgrades it has to be through trades. We have a surplus of draft picks now and some attractive role players on moveable contracts.

Offer Fournier, Burks, two firsts, IQ and Obi

TPercy

11/8/2021  2:21 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2021  2:25 PM
Philc1 wrote:
TPercy wrote:Frankly I don't think FA is where we make any noise. From now on if we want to make serious upgrades it has to be through trades. We have a surplus of draft picks now and some attractive role players on moveable contracts.

Attach 3 more 1sts and they pick up the phone hopefully
EDIT: Also Id think Utah would want to remain competitive so we'd need to involve a 3rd team to use some of our package to get them a solid player. It will be complicated and this will likely take place a season or two from now but definitely something to start thinking about.
The Future is Bright!
Philc1

11/8/2021  2:34 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/8/2021  2:34 PM
TPercy wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

EDIT: Also Id think Utah would want to remain competitive so we'd need to involve a 3rd team to use some of our package to get them a solid player. It will be complicated and this will likely take place a season or two from now but definitely something to start thinking about.

Or maybe we sign Kyrie to a max deal after promising to never require him to be vaccinated and acknowledging that flat earth is true

wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

11/8/2021  8:06 PM
Throw the full MLE at Robert Convington. Honestly if the Blazers decide to blow it up the Knicks should be on the phone and offer them a draft pick.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
TPercy

11/8/2021  8:20 PM
Philc1 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
Philc1 wrote:

Or maybe we sign Kyrie to a max deal after promising to never require him to be vaccinated and acknowledging that flat earth is true

The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/8/2021  10:05 PM
wargames wrote:Throw the full MLE at Robert Convington. Honestly if the Blazers decide to blow it up the Knicks should be on the phone and offer them a draft pick.

I agree he would be a big piece. And although he’s not a FA until 2023, I still see us making a move for Myles Turner.

Philc1

11/9/2021  3:57 PM
Knixkik wrote:
wargames wrote:Throw the full MLE at Robert Convington. Honestly if the Blazers decide to blow it up the Knicks should be on the phone and offer them a draft pick.

I agree he would be a big piece. And although he’s not a FA until 2023, I still see us making a move for Myles Turner.

The pacers are a well run organization. They aren’t letting us have Turner unless we offer one hell of a package and they will ask for RJ

Knixkik
USA
11/9/2021  8:08 PM
Philc1 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

The pacers are a well run organization. They aren’t letting us have Turner unless we offer one hell of a package and they will ask for RJ

But their ownership is cheap. They aren’t paying Turner after his contract if they still don’t believe he’s a clean fit next to Sabonis and plus they have drafted centers the last couple of drafts. I feel like they are anticipating a future separation with Turner.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/10/2021  9:20 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

But their ownership is cheap. They aren’t paying Turner after his contract if they still don’t believe he’s a clean fit next to Sabonis and plus they have drafted centers the last couple of drafts. I feel like they are anticipating a future separation with Turner.

Pacers are “Thrifty” but more times than not they have been right to not pay or over pay.
They traded Olidipo than pay him.
They were paying Paul George, then he was coming up unrestricted. PG13 did the “winning thing” but lets be real, if you are worth a ton and have a choice would California be preferred Over Indy? Damn straight.
He got traded to OKC with a likley hand shake they’d move him on if unhappy. Seem all parties were professional and straight up. PG had to compromise in OKC for a bit.

Indy also believes coaches are good for 4 years then time to move on. They made a big mistake with the last guy and quickly rectified it and payed him to go away. Not sure this is a formula for a chip but they rarely drop to the depths either. “Cheap” as they are, they did pony up for Carlisle.

They did have some nice runs in the Walsh/Bird era and was very successful at it. The year of the “Malice at the palace” (again, find that documentary and view it) they were very much contenders!

Herb Simon might not be the “best owner” but he is long time owner who has the money and likely does not owe a big note on the team and can go up on salary if justified. Its another example of ownership setting the stage and not the GM as many come to blame.

Myles Turner makes about 18mm and is unrestricted AFTER next season when he will be 27. We know Thibs likes his centers as they are. We have two of them. Thats not to say he can’t change his mind. He does. Turner career 6.7 TRB per game. Thats up to 8.5 this year in short sample. going to guess his offensive rebs are low as sabonis trolls the paint and Turner is on the parimeter a bit. For all we know Thibs might not want that. Thibs is full of surprises and we can’t just speak for him. Turner leads the league in blocks thus far. His Durability is not an issue. His 3pt avg about mid 30%. His game vs us might have inflated that this early in the season!

It begs the question of what is Mitch worth? He is out of shape and offensively yet to show much off the rim.
Do we even want him past this season? Can we sign him at 12mm per and project good health perhaps as a trade chip down the line.
If Sabonis can show more range maybe they can pullhim out a bit. I don’t see him a good fit with Mitch.

Turner is not a free agent in 2022.

Knixkik
USA
11/10/2021  11:48 AM
Nalod wrote:
Knixkik wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Pacers are “Thrifty” but more times than not they have been right to not pay or over pay.
They traded Olidipo than pay him.
They were paying Paul George, then he was coming up unrestricted. PG13 did the “winning thing” but lets be real, if you are worth a ton and have a choice would California be preferred Over Indy? Damn straight.
He got traded to OKC with a likley hand shake they’d move him on if unhappy. Seem all parties were professional and straight up. PG had to compromise in OKC for a bit.

Indy also believes coaches are good for 4 years then time to move on. They made a big mistake with the last guy and quickly rectified it and payed him to go away. Not sure this is a formula for a chip but they rarely drop to the depths either. “Cheap” as they are, they did pony up for Carlisle.

They did have some nice runs in the Walsh/Bird era and was very successful at it. The year of the “Malice at the palace” (again, find that documentary and view it) they were very much contenders!

Herb Simon might not be the “best owner” but he is long time owner who has the money and likely does not owe a big note on the team and can go up on salary if justified. Its another example of ownership setting the stage and not the GM as many come to blame.

Myles Turner makes about 18mm and is unrestricted AFTER next season when he will be 27. We know Thibs likes his centers as they are. We have two of them. Thats not to say he can’t change his mind. He does. Turner career 6.7 TRB per game. Thats up to 8.5 this year in short sample. going to guess his offensive rebs are low as sabonis trolls the paint and Turner is on the parimeter a bit. For all we know Thibs might not want that. Thibs is full of surprises and we can’t just speak for him. Turner leads the league in blocks thus far. His Durability is not an issue. His 3pt avg about mid 30%. His game vs us might have inflated that this early in the season!

It begs the question of what is Mitch worth? He is out of shape and offensively yet to show much off the rim.
Do we even want him past this season? Can we sign him at 12mm per and project good health perhaps as a trade chip down the line.
If Sabonis can show more range maybe they can pullhim out a bit. I don’t see him a good fit with Mitch.

Turner is not a free agent in 2022.

Good assessment. Turner is not a free agent next summer but he’s likely the caliber of player whereas in this era his status will be decided before that. He will either be extended or traded and extended or whatever the outcome may be. He’s a defensive impact player if Mitch and Noels level but offers more as an offensive player and is more durable.

xavier
Member: #8938
Croatia
11/11/2021  5:32 AM
You often start from completely wrong assumptions for potential trades. If we want to write about something that is at least somewhat realistic, we should always look at trade from both sides and try to find realistic reasons why the other side would agree to something like that.

Sometimes I get the impression that half of the hypothetical trades start with the assumption that “they won’t want to pay that player when he asks for a new contract so now is their chance to get rid of him in time and get something for him” which is mostly never true because most teams will very gladly pay a good player.

Also, sometimes a player is available at some point because the team is not sure how to move on, but this is usually a shorter period of time, and people even half a year after that assume that the player is still "available". The best example is Turner because at one time there was a rumor that the Pacers might trade him, but if they wanted to, that train passed a long time ago.

Do we have the assets to bring a solid player? Yes, we have, but you have to know that most of these players cost a lot more than most think when proposing potential trades.

I personally think our FO will go in that direction and try to capitalize on the depth of the roster and the picks we have by stacking packages for a player that will take us to a higher level.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/11/2021  3:19 PM
xavier wrote:You often start from completely wrong assumptions for potential trades. If we want to write about something that is at least somewhat realistic, we should always look at trade from both sides and try to find realistic reasons why the other side would agree to something like that.

Sometimes I get the impression that half of the hypothetical trades start with the assumption that “they won’t want to pay that player when he asks for a new contract so now is their chance to get rid of him in time and get something for him” which is mostly never true because most teams will very gladly pay a good player.

Also, sometimes a player is available at some point because the team is not sure how to move on, but this is usually a shorter period of time, and people even half a year after that assume that the player is still "available". The best example is Turner because at one time there was a rumor that the Pacers might trade him, but if they wanted to, that train passed a long time ago.

Do we have the assets to bring a solid player? Yes, we have, but you have to know that most of these players cost a lot more than most think when proposing potential trades.

I personally think our FO will go in that direction and try to capitalize on the depth of the roster and the picks we have by stacking packages for a player that will take us to a higher level.

We are very prime for what you speak of. Obi is my primary player for this. As to project for whom? I can only guess.

Philc1

11/12/2021  12:05 AM    LAST EDITED: 11/12/2021  12:06 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

And they will get a nice package in return for Turner, probably from a western conference team

The only way we get Turner is if we offer RJ. F that

gradyandrew
Member: #8959

12/30/2021  5:13 AM
Geez what a train wreck that 2021 free agency is turning out. I'm so glad we didn't max out Randle. Burks looks like a good deal but man- did we miss the boat on DeRozan. Signing him would have been a franchise altering one,instead we got Fournier and Nerlens Noel.
Philc1

12/30/2021  1:27 PM
Rubio tore his ACL. Wonder if we could get him on the cheap similar to how we got Kemba
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/30/2021  1:31 PM
Philc1 wrote:Rubio tore his ACL. Wonder if we could get him on the cheap similar to how we got Kemba

Do you also wonder on a nightly basis if the sky will be blue the next morn?

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Philc1

12/30/2021  1:34 PM
martin wrote:
Philc1 wrote:Rubio tore his ACL. Wonder if we could get him on the cheap similar to how we got Kemba

Do you also wonder on a nightly basis if the sky will be blue the next morn?

I guess we can always go back to the Alec Burks full time pg experiment again

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

12/30/2021  1:35 PM

He's turning 32 years old and coming off an ACL injury.

11 years and 0 ALL-STAR appearances.

What is your obsession with "Rubio".

2022 free agency

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy