[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Countdown to NY Knicks Tipoff vs. Boston Celtics (October 20th @ 7:30).
Author Thread
EwingsGlass
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #893
USA
9/19/2021  7:23 PM
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:More Knick highlights of Rokas in Spain, with special guest appearance from former Knick Nigel Hayes.

I had no expectations from Rokas when he was drafted but he has looked real good overall. I doubt he will be a star but I can see a real good player in the future that makes the right plays. Getting that type of player from a second round pick we got for free is an A+ job by the front office.

I'd pump the brakes on Rokas. To me, he's looked like 'real good player' is his absolute ceiling in the NBA. From what he showed in summer league, he is a high IQ player who can shoot and has some ability to run the offense with the ball in his hands but he's limited athletically and is a liability on defense. He has a along way to go before he can contribute regular minutes in the NBA. The Knicks should def. stash him and let him develop.

McBride was the guy who separated himself in summer league to me as someone who could contribute right away- if only because of his defense and shot making ability. If Rose or Walker get hurt its going to be hard to keep McBride from getting minutes.

I can see McBride chasing Quickley’s minutes also. I don’t want to get to crazy over Summer League, but McBride has a ton of fundamental skills that I love. Would love to see how that battle shakes out over the year.

This is the Randle.
AUTOADVERT
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
9/20/2021  12:21 PM
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:More Knick highlights of Rokas in Spain, with special guest appearance from former Knick Nigel Hayes.

I had no expectations from Rokas when he was drafted but he has looked real good overall. I doubt he will be a star but I can see a real good player in the future that makes the right plays. Getting that type of player from a second round pick we got for free is an A+ job by the front office.

I'd pump the brakes on Rokas. To me, he's looked like 'real good player' is his absolute ceiling in the NBA. From what he showed in summer league, he is a high IQ player who can shoot and has some ability to run the offense with the ball in his hands but he's limited athletically and is a liability on defense. He has a along way to go before he can contribute regular minutes in the NBA. The Knicks should def. stash him and let him develop.

McBride was the guy who separated himself in summer league to me as someone who could contribute right away- if only because of his defense and shot making ability. If Rose or Walker get hurt its going to be hard to keep McBride from getting minutes.

I don't know why you said to pump the breaks because from what you replied with it seems like we both agree. I mean, I did say he wont be a star and I never called him a starter. To me a player whose potential is a real good player is someone who will contribute to winning basketball and will make the right plays. I also said in the future so we both agree that like you said "he has a long way to go before he can contribute regular minutes in the NBA." I also been on that McBride train since before we drafted him. So we are 100% in agreement with everything.

Clean
Member: #743
9/20/2021  12:28 PM
EwingsGlass wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:

I can see McBride chasing Quickley’s minutes also. I don’t want to get to crazy over Summer League, but McBride has a ton of fundamental skills that I love. Would love to see how that battle shakes out over the year.

I totally agree here. I love Quickley but he is either flaming hot or ice cold. Sooner or later McBride will be given an opportunity with 2 PGs with health issues and an inconsistent Quick. I think he will take advantage of those opportunities.

Don't sleep on Grimes also. He will start slow like it seems he does everywhere he plays but with all the open shots he will get I think he will contribute also. Grimes also excels at rebounding at the guard position and rebounding was one of our biggest weaknesses. We would play amazing defense only to give up the rebound for an easy score.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/20/2021  12:30 PM
Rokus is in the perfect situation, for himself as well as with the current roster context of the Knicks. Dude is playing on a top level Euro team with a hard nose coach ala Thibs. He can marinate for 2-3 years and be better for it than being in the GLeague; more minutes, more money.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Kemet
Member: #6148

9/23/2021  8:59 PM
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:

I totally agree here. I love Quickley but he is either flaming hot or ice cold. Sooner or later McBride will be given an opportunity with 2 PGs with health issues and an inconsistent Quick. I think he will take advantage of those opportunities.

Don't sleep on Grimes also. He will start slow like it seems he does everywhere he plays but with all the open shots he will get I think he will contribute also. Grimes also excels at rebounding at the guard position and rebounding was one of our biggest weaknesses. We would play amazing defense only to give up the rebound for an easy score.

I see a consistent trio lineup of D.Rose, Quickley, and Grimes holding us down this season.
Our Knicks opponents backcourt traps will keep McBride on the bench his rookie season.

The Knicks management not going all-out to get Ben Simmons in a Knicks uniform before the season is turning my stomach on Perry & Leon Rose.
The thought of watching Kemba's knees, and PF-Randle running the point for the Knicks 30 plus minute per game in the upcoming season does not excite me.

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
9/24/2021  7:52 AM
Kemet wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:

I see a consistent trio lineup of D.Rose, Quickley, and Grimes holding us down this season.
Our Knicks opponents backcourt traps will keep McBride on the bench his rookie season.

The Knicks management not going all-out to get Ben Simmons in a Knicks uniform before the season is turning my stomach on Perry & Leon Rose.
The thought of watching Kemba's knees, and PF-Randle running the point for the Knicks 30 plus minute per game in the upcoming season does not excite me.

really? that's a LOT of money on a guy with a LOT of issues

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
9/24/2021  8:31 AM
Knicks were 10th in rebounding last season.
Fornier won’t matter?

NOT? Going after Simmons turns your stomach? This what you meant? I don’t see logical trade bewtween the two. RJ is not ready to be the 2nd or 3rd option on a contending team. Philly was that last season and expectation with Simmons was still high.

Grimes and McBride have to outplay others. Its possible. Odds are one gets in the rotation. Thibs does reward those that earn it but vets with contracts get the benefit of the doubt. How OBI gets used will be of interest. Does Knox even factor?

jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
9/24/2021  11:32 AM
Kemet wrote:
Clean wrote:
EwingsGlass wrote:
Pepper wrote:
Clean wrote:

Watching 170 million play run away from the ball during the fourth quarter to avoid being sent to the foul line does excite you?

Do you get excited thinking about Thibs dealing with this knucklehead on a daily basis? His affect on the numerous quality yoots we now have excites you?

Put aside the fact Morey's not going to trade him inside the division, how excited will you be to watch the team get raped by Philly for a one dimensional offensive liability?

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
9/24/2021  11:51 AM
Knicks really can't go after Simmons cause they just signed or re-signed most of their players making them untraceable until like Dec or later.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

10/2/2021  1:56 PM
Rokas puts on his big boy pants and shows out for the varsity Barca club
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

10/3/2021  11:29 PM
Missed this tidbit, no big secrets and the game plans were simple enough. I'll say, it was encouraging to see Knox go hard to his left in summer scrimmages.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/5/2021  8:00 PM
Man we are so much better Offensivly
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
ToddTT
Alba Posts: 52
Member: #105
10/5/2021  8:16 PM
Jmpasq wrote:Man we are so much better Offensivly

Did we already score against Boston?!?

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

10/5/2021  8:38 PM
ToddTT wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:Man we are so much better Offensivly

Did we already score against Boston?!?

LOL wrong thread
Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
gradyandrew
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #8959

10/5/2021  11:21 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Rokas puts on his big boy pants and shows out for the varsity Barca club

Let's lower the expectations here. My Team Lithuania practice squad friend couldn't believe this guy was drafted. More Darko than Donicic was his comment.

gradyandrew

10/6/2021  12:46 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2021  12:58 AM
Season opener is probably the most important game of the regular season. Last season it was the second quarter come back for the Knicks that set the tone for the whole season. The Knicks lost the game but showed they could and would compete with the mid tier of the Eastern Conference. You can probably chart the demise of the Pacers back to that game. Here we are a year later and, at least going by the preseason, the Knicks are clearly the better team.

The first KD season in Golden State started with a blowout loss to the Kawhi led Spurs. That team was probably the best basketball team ever. Nevertheless,to make it so required Zaza Pachulia's Cobra Kai "go for the knee" play in game 1 of their playoff series. GSW was getting blown out and Kawhi was playing at a level of two way dominance we will most likely never see again. While he finally got his revenge against a dilapidated Warriors squad,all the load management and missed seasons as well as the current state of the once dominant Spurs goes back to that play. And the nececesity of that play to cement KDs place in NBA history was determined on opening night.

This season the Eastern Conference will be represented by either the Bucks or the Nets. The talent and chemistry are too high to overcome unless by a catastrophic or fortunate (depending on whose team you root for) set of circumstances. That is,barring a season ending injury to Giannis or KD, the nature of the playoffs ensures that usually all you need is the best player who can draw those critical free throws in a series determining game.

The Knicks, Boston,Hawks,and everyone else are playing for 3rd place. Losing in 6 games to the Nets or Bucks in round one is vastly different than the same in Round 2. As the "Ringz" culture's dark power takes stronger hold among the Fellowship of the NBA,even a first round series loss can be cause for firing coach,thanks for the memories Scott Brooks,while a second round loss is more of a just not our year phenomenon,looking at you Denver.

The Celtics starting back court now starts for the Knicks. Their replacements are a reconstituted version of the Celtics of futures past. Marcus Smart,Jaylen Brown,and Jayson Tatum are all grown up and enjoying the multi generational wealth that big extensions entail. Al Horford,who was deemed to old and rickety to pay 30 million a year at the backend of his career is now being paid 30 million a year at the backend of his career. That former coach,current GM,and forever the Golden One of the NBA Brad Stevens had to pay a first round pick for the privilege is never mentioned or panned. I went to Church for 35 years before hearing the story about Jesus berating a woman for not being Jewish. The proof,as they say,is in the pudding. Let's just say that team performance aside,a big opening night by Kemba accompanied by a quiet one by Al Horford might be Bard's arrow finding it's way to the soft spot in the Celtics armoured underbelly. The optics at least will be hard to ignore.

Let's not forget Tom Thibodeau's personal history with the Celtics Green. Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge have raked in the millions over the past decade with nary a mention of TT's role. The Celtics didn't beat the Lakers because of their offense,despite having four future Hall of Famers on the squad. Thibs seems to task focused to lose time listening to his bile but a repeat of last seasons crushing of the Pacers upper tier dreams would undoubtedly touch his heart in ways not visible to the non clairvoyant.

All the ingredients seem to be ready. New coach? Check. 3rd best player unhappy with his contract status? Check. Viral fan expectations? Of course. Bad blood? Remember the insistence by the top Celtics that last seasons near loss by the reserves that sealed the Knicks spot as the 4th seed was actually a victory? Surely RJ hasn't.

So while you may question the heavy minutes played by the starters during the preseason as a risky move by a win at all costs coach,be aware that there is a method to his madness. Like Operation Barbosa,a successful strike requires a ruthless attack against an unprepared enemy. If the Knicks want the validation of a trip to the second round,the best way to accomplish it is to secure the overwrought discord that only an opening night blow out win can bring upon their rival.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/6/2021  9:08 AM    LAST EDITED: 10/6/2021  9:18 AM
gradyandrew wrote:Season opener is probably the most important game of the regular season. Last season it was the second quarter come back for the Knicks that set the tone for the whole season. The Knicks lost the game but showed they could and would compete with the mid tier of the Eastern Conference. You can probably chart the demise of the Pacers back to that game. Here we are a year later and, at least going by the preseason, the Knicks are clearly the better team.

The first KD season in Golden State started with a blowout loss to the Kawhi led Spurs. That team was probably the best basketball team ever. Nevertheless,to make it so required Zaza Pachulia's Cobra Kai "go for the knee" play in game 1 of their playoff series. GSW was getting blown out and Kawhi was playing at a level of two way dominance we will most likely never see again. While he finally got his revenge against a dilapidated Warriors squad,all the load management and missed seasons as well as the current state of the once dominant Spurs goes back to that play. And the nececesity of that play to cement KDs place in NBA history was determined on opening night.

This season the Eastern Conference will be represented by either the Bucks or the Nets. The talent and chemistry are too high to overcome unless by a catastrophic or fortunate (depending on whose team you root for) set of circumstances. That is,barring a season ending injury to Giannis or KD, the nature of the playoffs ensures that usually all you need is the best player who can draw those critical free throws in a series determining game.

The Knicks, Boston,Hawks,and everyone else are playing for 3rd place. Losing in 6 games to the Nets or Bucks in round one is vastly different than the same in Round 2. As the "Ringz" culture's dark power takes stronger hold among the Fellowship of the NBA,even a first round series loss can be cause for firing coach,thanks for the memories Scott Brooks,while a second round loss is more of a just not our year phenomenon,looking at you Denver.

The Celtics starting back court now starts for the Knicks. Their replacements are a reconstituted version of the Celtics of futures past. Marcus Smart,Jaylen Brown,and Jayson Tatum are all grown up and enjoying the multi generational wealth that big extensions entail. Al Horford,who was deemed to old and rickety to pay 30 million a year at the backend of his career is now being paid 30 million a year at the backend of his career. That former coach,current GM,and forever the Golden One of the NBA Brad Stevens had to pay a first round pick for the privilege is never mentioned or panned. I went to Church for 35 years before hearing the story about Jesus berating a woman for not being Jewish. The proof,as they say,is in the pudding. Let's just say that team performance aside,a big opening night by Kemba accompanied by a quiet one by Al Horford might be Bard's arrow finding it's way to the soft spot in the Celtics armoured underbelly. The optics at least will be hard to ignore.

Let's not forget Tom Thibodeau's personal history with the Celtics Green. Doc Rivers and Danny Ainge have raked in the millions over the past decade with nary a mention of TT's role. The Celtics didn't beat the Lakers because of their offense,despite having four future Hall of Famers on the squad. Thibs seems to task focused to lose time listening to his bile but a repeat of last seasons crushing of the Pacers upper tier dreams would undoubtedly touch his heart in ways not visible to the non clairvoyant.

All the ingredients seem to be ready. New coach? Check. 3rd best player unhappy with his contract status? Check. Viral fan expectations? Of course. Bad blood? Remember the insistence by the top Celtics that last seasons near loss by the reserves that sealed the Knicks spot as the 4th seed was actually a victory? Surely RJ hasn't.

So while you may question the heavy minutes played by the starters during the preseason as a risky move by a win at all costs coach,be aware that there is a method to his madness. Like Operation Barbosa,a successful strike requires a ruthless attack against an unprepared enemy. If the Knicks want the validation of a trip to the second round,the best way to accomplish it is to secure the overwrought discord that only an opening night blow out win can bring upon their rival.

Ambitious take still a few weeks from game one. The Ainge era is a tale of two rebuilds and he mostly did a great job. His Kyrie/Haywood/Horford/Brown/Tatum dream just never came to maturity due to bad luck and his misread of Kyrie future. On paper it was a solid plan. Kyries injury and the rookies subsequent playoff run did tilt the hierarchy of its trajectory of its axis. Then Haywood ankle in his first 5 minutes was another huge blow. He had acquired Kyrie at a discount and Haywood for free. The masterstroke of Trading DOWN for tatum and the maturation of Brown all fortuitous in a short window. Few teams can accomplish this in a decade and yet Auerbach from the heavens smiled upon Ainge with this gift. That team was poised to achieve. Shyt happens. Its hard to win a chip. Ainge won on all fronts but it takes a convergence of health, personality, coaching and good old fashioned luck to win a chip. It did not materialize.
Stevens first big move to dump Kemba is curious. This really has ownerships stamp all over it. I often remind the faithful that many owners are quite involved in the team and its them often driving decisions. The team presidents and GM’s don’t set team policy but serve the owners directive. Yes, its “TO WIN”, but how you get there is ulitmatley the owners choice. Rebuilding requires resources and bad teams lose money. Good teams need big salary. Its a business and at the end of the day thats forgotten by fans. Wyck Grousback is the lead owner and involved. It would seem Kemba was a mistake and they wanted to move on based on off season moves. How much this factored into Ainge leaving remains to be disclosed.

gradyandrew

10/6/2021  10:27 AM
I think Ainge left because last season he was trying to trade Kemba without fully disclosing the nature of his injury. Enough teams got upset that they refused to do business with Ainge any more. I read this somewhere but I can't be sure. In Danny's defense,Kemba's knee looked fine.

Off topic but fun- anyone else remember that ferocious MJ dunk on Ainge during the Suns/ Bulls Finals? Hard to imagine playing golf and socializing with a guy after that.

BigDaddyG

10/6/2021  2:53 PM
gradyandrew wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Rokas puts on his big boy pants and shows out for the varsity Barca club

Let's lower the expectations here. My Team Lithuania practice squad friend couldn't believe this guy was drafted. More Darko than Donicic was his comment.

There are no real expectations. He was simply the only Knick playing games until last night. That said, you have to be impressed with what he's doing for Barca. These are tough physical games and he's proven that he's up to the challenge. More Darko than Doncic applies to 99% of the NBA. That said, I see more shades of an in shape Beno Udrih, which is a solid player. Let's just hope he continues to make progress.

NYKMentality
Member: #4385

10/7/2021  6:43 PM
13 days away!
Countdown to NY Knicks Tipoff vs. Boston Celtics (October 20th @ 7:30).

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy