[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks sign Fournier
Author Thread
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

11/20/2021  4:22 AM
smackeddog wrote:
SergioNYK wrote:I was not a fan of signing Fournier. I would have preferred to bring back Bulloch or find a better version of what he does like Norman Powell. But I'm not giving up on Fournier. He's not a bum like the other frenchie we had. We've seen how Fournier can help those first few games. He's never going to be much of a defender but he can play a role in team defense. He just needs to start making those open shots.

Now look up Bullocks stats for this year- looks like we were doomed either way!

Yeah, his field goal percentages are trash. I remember they were trash at the start of last season and everyone wanted to run him out of town. But he picked it up. I'm sure Evan will do the same.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
AUTOADVERT
Chandler
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6197

11/20/2021  7:31 AM
Post has a story with some of his shooting stats when he plays more minutes and they’re quite good. Clearly he’s not getting the mind now because (a) TT doesn’t like his D as much as Burks late in the game and (b) his shooting is generally off at the moment. That said the numbers are encouraging because it reflects he won’t choke

I don’t think it’s being mentioned much but Fournier’s issues seem tied to Julius’s too, to some extent. Last year Julius and Bullock eventually developed a quite synergistic two man game where Reggie helped space for Julius and Julius was a willing passer when doubled. We saw a glimpse of that with Fournier early in the season but not now. Now Julius is launching those 3s not Evan

I predict when they figure out how to get cooking together they will both see significant jumps in their effectiveness

(5)(5)
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/20/2021  12:40 PM
15 games in is not a season.

If you pine for Reggie and the magic of last year and want to bottle it, you have to bring back Elf.
Moved forward to moderize the offense with Kemba and evan. So you try.
Imagine if we were the same record and had Reggie fans be like: Front office was stagnate and did little to improve, might as well play Grimes……………same ****.

Clean
Member: #743
11/20/2021  2:10 PM
I don't get the Bullock love. He showed exactly why he is not the right person for us in the playoffs. People put too much stock in our regular season last year. The east and the NBA in general has way more good teams this year. Basing anything off how we did last year is flawed. If we are being honest we are probably a lottery team last year if we don't trade for Rose.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/20/2021  2:26 PM
Chandler wrote:Post has a story with some of his shooting stats when he plays more minutes and they’re quite good. Clearly he’s not getting the mind now because (a) TT doesn’t like his D as much as Burks late in the game and (b) his shooting is generally off at the moment. That said the numbers are encouraging because it reflects he won’t choke

I don’t think it’s being mentioned much but Fournier’s issues seem tied to Julius’s too, to some extent. Last year Julius and Bullock eventually developed a quite synergistic two man game where Reggie helped space for Julius and Julius was a willing passer when doubled. We saw a glimpse of that with Fournier early in the season but not now. Now Julius is launching those 3s not Evan

I predict when they figure out how to get cooking together they will both see significant jumps in their effectiveness

the post story is opposite the numbers I read in the link I shared when I bumped this:

https://theknickswall.com/evan-fournier-knicks-nothing-short-disappointing-so-far/

According to NBA.com, Fournier’s most productive scoring comes in the first quarter, where he averages 4.9 points on 45.2% shooting. His scoring trends downward with every period.

he third quarter has been a disaster for the Knicks; their defense suffers and they’re only scoring only 23.4 points, shooting 41.5%. This disappearance in scoring is counterintuitive to the Knicks, especially since the team sacrificed their defensive prowess from last season for balanced scoring this year. Coincidentally, the third period is also Fournier’s worst-performing quarter. He’s shooting his lowest percentage from the field in that particular quarter: a ghastly 28%. His Defensive Rating also suffers in the second half compared to the first, jumping from 108.9 to 118.9.

My hypothesis is Fournier is maybe not the same player he was, either covid or age has taken it's toll.

Maybe he has never played in a high pressure setting in the NBA - Orlando not exactly a franchise that is ever expected to win much ever.

Hope he turns it around.

Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

11/20/2021  2:31 PM
Clean wrote:I don't get the Bullock love. He showed exactly why he is not the right person for us in the playoffs. People put too much stock in our regular season last year. The east and the NBA in general has way more good teams this year. Basing anything off how we did last year is flawed. If we are being honest we are probably a lottery team last year if we don't trade for Rose.

Bullock was a decent perimeter defender. Fournier isn’t.

Unlike Bullock Fournier can create his own shot and he’s overall a significantly better shooter but him being on the floor we just sacrifice so much defensively

The Elf love is comical. That guy couldn’t put the ball in the ocean and was a mediocre at best defender who then sulked when we traded for Rose

ramtour420
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #1388
Russian Federation
11/20/2021  9:59 PM    LAST EDITED: 11/20/2021  10:02 PM
Clean wrote:I don't get the Bullock love. He showed exactly why he is not the right person for us in the playoffs. People put too much stock in our regular season last year. The east and the NBA in general has way more good teams this year. Basing anything off how we did last year is flawed. If we are being honest we are probably a lottery team last year if we don't trade for Rose.

He was a consistent two way player, with certain limitations, of course
Everything you have ever wanted is on the other side of fear- George Adair
blkexec
Member: #748
11/21/2021  5:20 AM

True, but the regular season was insight on how his position should be filled, if we are planning to replace him. And he was perfect on offense, because he doesn't need to drible to score, unlike EF. He's a catch and shoot player only. That allows RJ and Randle and Kemba to dribble. All 3 can take over a game. Plus he guarded the best wing player all game.

Was he clutch in the playoffs? no. Did you show the FO what type of player works in his replacement? Yes. And EF doesn't completely fill how well Bullock works with this offense and defense. With that said, Bullock is in the past and EF had a great game yesterday. Lets hope this continues. And yes, Bullocks stats are terrible in Dallas, but his impact is more about chemistry and fit.

I have faith in EF. Dropped him in my fantasy league. One more good game tonight, and I might pick him back up.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Clean
Member: #743
11/21/2021  6:17 AM
blkexec wrote:

True, but the regular season was insight on how his position should be filled, if we are planning to replace him. And he was perfect on offense, because he doesn't need to drible to score, unlike EF. He's a catch and shoot player only. That allows RJ and Randle and Kemba to dribble. All 3 can take over a game. Plus he guarded the best wing player all game.

Was he clutch in the playoffs? no. Did you show the FO what type of player works in his replacement? Yes. And EF doesn't completely fill how well Bullock works with this offense and defense. With that said, Bullock is in the past and EF had a great game yesterday. Lets hope this continues. And yes, Bullocks stats are terrible in Dallas, but his impact is more about chemistry and fit.

I have faith in EF. Dropped him in my fantasy league. One more good game tonight, and I might pick him back up.

I also still have faith in EF. I think he will play better if he is in a role that fits him more. Like RJ I think he would play better instantly with the bench. I did like the 2 man game EF and Randle had at the beginning of the season I don't know why they went away from it. It did make a return this last game for a few possessions.

Philc1

11/21/2021  8:49 AM
If Fournier shoots lights out tonight I take it all back
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
11/21/2021  10:32 AM
blkexec wrote:

To be fair, Evan Fournier IS a catch and shoot player and had similar stats in that area as Bullock last year, with the addition of being able to put ball on floor and dish.

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/catch-shoot/

Reggie is pretty much an exclusive 3pt shooter and during playoffs you could see that exposed. Better individual defender.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=bullore01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=fournev01&p2yrfrom=2021

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

11/21/2021  11:15 AM
blkexec wrote:

I guess it depends on how you define perfect. If by perfect you mean, perfect for an offense of a team that will probably max-out as a play-in team, then, yeah, Bullock was perfect. But if the team had aspirations of improving, then the team needed an upgrade on the wing. Bullock is where he belongs, coming off the bench. Fournier is better than Bullock on the offensive end, but I still don't think Frounier was the right move but that's for another thread.

BTW, this version of Kemba can't consistently take over the game like he did pre-knee injury and RJ hasn't proven he can do that on a consistent basis either.

blkexec
11/21/2021  11:55 AM
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

To be fair, Evan Fournier IS a catch and shoot player and had similar stats in that area as Bullock last year, with the addition of being able to put ball on floor and dish.

Reggie is pretty much an exclusive 3pt shooter and during playoffs you could see that exposed. Better individual defender.

https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=bullore01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=fournev01&p2yrfrom=2021

Yes, I didn’t make myself clear. Both are catch and shoot players. But when both players are off, Bullock will simply shoot more to find his rhythm. EF has more tools in the bag, so he likes to dribble more and create off the dribble. Something we didn’t have in Bullock during the playoffs. So I agree.

The difference is EF will not get as much dribbling time when trying to find his rhythm like he had in Orlando because he’s surrounded by 3 players that also need to dribble their way back into rhythm. This is why he will go in long stretches of bad shooting. Add in his defensive liabilities and you have a player who’s not in rhythm and in thibs defensive dog house in the 4th quarter.

Personally I thought he was a better defender and a true catch and shoot player. But he’s smaller and weaker than bullock so that hurts when they switch on defense or rebounding. Mix in his need to create and dribble more because naturally he’s not a volume shooter but a smart shooter. That’s great but not good when there are 3 other players all doing the same thing. If his catch and shoot game improves, it could mask his defensive liabilities. Kemba and EF needs to improve their catch n shoot efficiency….because RJ and Randle who get the most playing time will also look to pass out of those double teams.

Either way, we have 4 wildly inconsistent offensive players all in the starting lineup. And 2 of them don’t get any playing time in the 4th. Not a good recipe for players that need to improve their offensive consistency. Yesterday RJ sat and Fournier played in crunch time. Need to find a way to improve the chemistry between those 4….or break them up and add Burks to that 4, and remove either RJ or EF or Kemba to the bench. But who am I. I’m just an inexperienced fan trying to coach from my living room. Let’s see how that playing for 3 quarters works for Kemba and EF or now Kemba and RJ

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
blkexec
11/22/2021  7:10 AM
blkexec wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

Yes, I didn’t make myself clear. Both are catch and shoot players. But when both players are off, Bullock will simply shoot more to find his rhythm. EF has more tools in the bag, so he likes to dribble more and create off the dribble. Something we didn’t have in Bullock during the playoffs. So I agree.

The difference is EF will not get as much dribbling time when trying to find his rhythm like he had in Orlando because he’s surrounded by 3 players that also need to dribble their way back into rhythm. This is why he will go in long stretches of bad shooting. Add in his defensive liabilities and you have a player who’s not in rhythm and in thibs defensive dog house in the 4th quarter.

Personally I thought he was a better defender and a true catch and shoot player. But he’s smaller and weaker than bullock so that hurts when they switch on defense or rebounding. Mix in his need to create and dribble more because naturally he’s not a volume shooter but a smart shooter. That’s great but not good when there are 3 other players all doing the same thing. If his catch and shoot game improves, it could mask his defensive liabilities. Kemba and EF needs to improve their catch n shoot efficiency….because RJ and Randle who get the most playing time will also look to pass out of those double teams.

Either way, we have 4 wildly inconsistent offensive players all in the starting lineup. And 2 of them don’t get any playing time in the 4th. Not a good recipe for players that need to improve their offensive consistency. Yesterday RJ sat and Fournier played in crunch time. Need to find a way to improve the chemistry between those 4….or break them up and add Burks to that 4, and remove either RJ or EF or Kemba to the bench. But who am I. I’m just an inexperienced fan trying to coach from my living room. Let’s see how that playing for 3 quarters works for Kemba and EF or now Kemba and RJ

4 inconsistent players in the starting unit, known for their offensive game. But when u have 4 players all looking to impact the game offensively, u get games like this. 1 of 4 players had a solid game. Kemba, RJ and EF was shooting bricks. This can’t happen when those 3 players also get out scored. We can’t win games like this.

RJ was ready to pop this season, but the roster additions set him back. We missed the boat on derozon. Sounds like the FO was thinking about adding him. And by the looks of it, that all this team needed on the starting lineup. But adding 2 new players next to RJ, who can’t be relied on offensively or defensively or to close out games, is a problem.

franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
11/22/2021  8:17 AM
blkexec wrote:
blkexec wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

4 inconsistent players in the starting unit, known for their offensive game. But when u have 4 players all looking to impact the game offensively, u get games like this. 1 of 4 players had a solid game. Kemba, RJ and EF was shooting bricks. This can’t happen when those 3 players also get out scored. We can’t win games like this.

RJ was ready to pop this season, but the roster additions set him back. We missed the boat on derozon. Sounds like the FO was thinking about adding him. And by the looks of it, that all this team needed on the starting lineup. But adding 2 new players next to RJ, who can’t be relied on offensively or defensively or to close out games, is a problem.

so are you blaming RJ's problems on the other players? Seems like RJ is RJ's problem right now. And Thibs.

RJ had 12 shots last night, made 2. Simply horrific.

What I find truly pathetic is Fournier saying, well in the past, I had 32 mins a night to get my game going, now I don't have.

“The way I look at it is this — I can’t just play anymore like I did with other teams knowing I’d play 32 minutes at least,” Fournier said. “Like I knew where my shots are coming from, I knew how things are going to go for me.

“So I can’t get into the game knowing that. …Historically I’ve been really good in fourth quarters actually. And now that I’m not playing fourth quarters, I have to bring something early on.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-evan-fournier-benching-20211119-ldw6vps45vhzfeawqukzqh2g7u-story.html

Here is the thing - if Evan were playing well, Thibs would play him 38 minutes a night. He's already shown he'll do that with others.

And he is still averaging 28 minutes a game.

martin
USA
11/22/2021  8:34 AM
franco12 wrote:What I find truly pathetic is Fournier saying, well in the past, I had 32 mins a night to get my game going, now I don't have.

“The way I look at it is this — I can’t just play anymore like I did with other teams knowing I’d play 32 minutes at least,” Fournier said. “Like I knew where my shots are coming from, I knew how things are going to go for me.

“So I can’t get into the game knowing that. …Historically I’ve been really good in fourth quarters actually. And now that I’m not playing fourth quarters, I have to bring something early on.”

https://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/ny-evan-fournier-benching-20211119-ldw6vps45vhzfeawqukzqh2g7u-story.html

Here is the thing - if Evan were playing well, Thibs would play him 38 minutes a night. He's already shown he'll do that with others.

I took Fournier's statements as him just acknowledging the reality of the situation more than a complaint or expectation. And with RJ, Burks, IQ, he knows he will not get a ton of minutes.

I haven't watched much of Fournier in the past and the few glimpses of him as a Knicks player have not been good, seems too lackadaisical and doesn't come with the energy all the time.

He had a great Olympics and I'd love to hear how the team used him and how he played.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/22/2021  9:24 AM
franco12 wrote:
blkexec wrote:
blkexec wrote:
martin wrote:
blkexec wrote:

so are you blaming RJ's problems on the other players? Seems like RJ is RJ's problem right now. And Thibs.

RJ had 12 shots last night, made 2. Simply horrific.

What I find truly pathetic is Fournier saying, well in the past, I had 32 mins a night to get my game going, now I don't have.

And he had 15 rebs.
As for Evan? Perhaps his training with olympics is out of kilter, new team, new mates, new coach. Blah blah, ………after 16 games is it over for him?
Is it so simple to think Reggie gone is the issue?

Philc, if you think there is Elf love your not reading the comments right. All anyone is saying he was here and we succeeded. It speaks to the fact he contributed.
Its not bad you keep is simple. But at the same time it comes off as limited.

Philc1

11/22/2021  10:20 AM
RJ’s shot has been off so far this year but his defense and rebounding last night was excellent and a big reason why this was even a game
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
11/22/2021  10:52 AM
Philc1 wrote:RJ’s shot has been off so far this year but his defense and rebounding last night was excellent and a big reason why this was even a game

Yeah barrett will be fine. His offense may never be consistent star level but he’s a well balanced player who can lock in on both ends when it matters. My expectation for him is to eventually become a Khris Middleton level player.

martin
USA
11/22/2021  11:10 AM
Knixkik wrote:
Philc1 wrote:RJ’s shot has been off so far this year but his defense and rebounding last night was excellent and a big reason why this was even a game

Yeah barrett will be fine. His offense may never be consistent star level but he’s a well balanced player who can lock in on both ends when it matters. My expectation for him is to eventually become a Khris Middleton level player.

Khris Middleton but without the offensive ability? I just don't see how people can project RJ out to be a top line offensive guy with Middleton as his projection.

RJ is hard working. And I hope he finds the magic that he was flowing with last year.

Knicks sign Fournier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy