[ IMAGES: Images OFF turn on | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks sign Fournier
Author Thread
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

8/3/2021  10:56 AM
My issue with him is that this contract reeks of Timmy, even if is just a year shorter.
The Future is Bright!
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/3/2021  11:26 AM
VDesai wrote:Fournier is a way better player than Bullock. He can put the ball on the floor and distribute as a secondary playmaker. And he can shoot on the move. Bullock was mainly a stationary shooter on kick outs. Fournier can shoot off screens, shoot off dribble, etc. and has at least a bit of a floater game to augment his shooting. The offensive upgrade is unquestionable and makes our team better. But Bullock, while not being a lock down guy, was our no.1 perimeter defender so we have to see who takes his place there. The rookies Grimes and McBride will help. Hopefully Fournier can show more on that end.

For me Bullock was the no.1 perimeter defender cause who else was going to be? IMHO he was barely average and before this year really didn't have the defensive chops or accolades, he just put in effort.

Fournier is a huge step up as an offensive player from Bullock.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
newyorknewyork
Member: #541
8/3/2021  12:19 PM
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:Fournier is a way better player than Bullock. He can put the ball on the floor and distribute as a secondary playmaker. And he can shoot on the move. Bullock was mainly a stationary shooter on kick outs. Fournier can shoot off screens, shoot off dribble, etc. and has at least a bit of a floater game to augment his shooting. The offensive upgrade is unquestionable and makes our team better. But Bullock, while not being a lock down guy, was our no.1 perimeter defender so we have to see who takes his place there. The rookies Grimes and McBride will help. Hopefully Fournier can show more on that end.

For me Bullock was the no.1 perimeter defender cause who else was going to be? IMHO he was barely average and before this year really didn't have the defensive chops or accolades, he just put in effort.

Young was able to guard him in the playoffs without consequence. Wouldn’t have been able to do that with Fournier.

https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
VDesai
Alba Posts: 44
Member: #477
USA
8/3/2021  12:24 PM
martin wrote:

I agree, hopefully Fournier with Thibs coaching gives a similar effort and we don't lose that much ground. Usually the French guys in the NBA come in with a good defensive effort, but Fournier never really had the rep. I think situationally it still would make sense to add someone like a Tony Snell here for a cheaper deal.

VDesai
USA
8/3/2021  12:26 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:

Young was able to guard him in the playoffs without consequence. Wouldn’t have been able to do that with Fournier.

That's a big deal and a huge reason why we needed a more multi-dimensional starter on the wing. Imagine of Young had to guard Rose instead of Bullock. Fournier could've easily posted Young or taken him to the basket, or ran him off screens. Any one of those things would've given him more of a challenge. Bullock was strictly a stationary type shooter and while he knocked the 3's down at a nice clip, he wasn't challenging you defensively.

blkexec
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #748
8/3/2021  12:41 PM
Had to watch a few clips of EF to remember his game. And it's very obvious why we paid him such a large amount. He's a player who's not afraid of the big moments and steps up when competition is high. He also has a rare combination of being a spot up shooter, off the dribble shooter and playmaker...plus he has good vision and makes the right play, without forcing it.

Outside of his defense, he looks like a great player to have that shouldn't impact the growth of the young players we added last year and thus year. I'm warming up to this signing and hopefully playing in and for NY will apply enough pressure for him to step up consistently. Frank and Randle will tell him what NY media and fans demand from their players. But im excited that the rooks who play PG and SG are not stuck behind an all star player like obi is. Next year, his contract will be tradable for a Bradley Beal type if needed. I give us a B for our FA pickups.

Born in Brooklyn, Raised in Queens, Lives in Maryland. The future is bright, I'm a Knicks fan for life!
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
8/3/2021  12:45 PM
TPercy wrote:My issue with him is that this contract reeks of Timmy, even if is just a year shorter.

But he's much better than Timmy.

joec32033
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #583
USA
8/3/2021  1:00 PM
Knixkik wrote:
TPercy wrote:My issue with him is that this contract reeks of Timmy, even if is just a year shorter.

TP, Tim has gotten almost the same contract twice in a row (4 year/71 mil with the Knicks, 4 year/74 mil with the Mavs). While the contract may not be worth it to you, maybe that is actually the going rate for a Hardaway caliber player in the league.

Hardaway is an average SG in this league and his salary (even back when the Knicks signed him he was the #15 paid SG or so) reflects that.

If they got Fournier who is a more multidimensional player, and may be considered an above average wing, I would consider that a decent contract.

~You can't run from who you are.~
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/3/2021  1:03 PM    LAST EDITED: 8/3/2021  1:06 PM
Knixkik wrote:

I'd say he's better than Timmy, but not by that much. They're in the same tier. Any tier higher and you're probably talking about a borderline All-Star.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Chandler
Member: #6197

8/3/2021  1:05 PM
VDesai wrote:
newyorknewyork wrote:
martin wrote:

That's a big deal and a huge reason why we needed a more multi-dimensional starter on the wing. Imagine of Young had to guard Rose instead of Bullock. Fournier could've easily posted Young or taken him to the basket, or ran him off screens. Any one of those things would've given him more of a challenge. Bullock was strictly a stationary type shooter and while he knocked the 3's down at a nice clip, he wasn't challenging you defensively.

all of this is true and what i was ranting about last night when the haters were howling. EF was not my first choice but he's a very good choice. Also consider how it can open up RJ and Julius (in particular) we will have guys on the floor who can create their own shot, or one for others off the dribble, or for cuts etc. Offense is really going to open up

(5)(5)
martin
USA
8/3/2021  1:17 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

I'd say he's better than Timmy, but not by that much. They're in the same tier. Any tier higher and you're probably talking about a borderline All-Star.

For me, I take the perspective that playing next to Doncic has elevated the game of guys like THJr while Fournier has player with some crap PGs and teammates for a long while now

Chandler
Member: #6197

8/3/2021  1:22 PM

martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

For me, I take the perspective that playing next to Doncic has elevated the game of guys like THJr while Fournier has player with some crap PGs and teammates for a long while now

this is a great point. synergies

(5)(5)
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/3/2021  1:23 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:
Knixkik wrote:

Could be the case. I'll take the other side of the spectrum and say he's 28 and he is what he is. Solid NBA player and starter/6th man type. Heck, Timmy went through a stretch in Atlanta where we thought he could be a future All-Star. They're both capable of hot stretches, but there's a reason teams have slotted them in the same salary range.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
martin
USA
8/3/2021  1:29 PM

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/3/2021  1:44 PM
I like him- not ecstatic or anything, but he'll do
VDesai
USA
8/3/2021  2:00 PM
I think we should compare the 3 wing guys who signed in the same range- Fournier, Hardaway Jr, Duncan Robinson. Hardaway/Fournier probably similar scoring the ball, but Fournier more versatile at creating offense (Timmy mostly likes to shoot) and has a bit more length. Robinson a true knockdown shooter and the best of the bunch on shooting, but probably behind the other two on offensive versatility and IMO gonna be behind the two on D. All 3 in the 27-29 range and making 18-19.5mm (19.5 assume the value of the team option is exercised for Fournier, or it could be marginally less). Honestly I think we came out with the best player here.
martin
USA
8/3/2021  2:12 PM
VDesai wrote:I think we should compare the 3 wing guys who signed in the same range- Fournier, Hardaway Jr, Duncan Robinson. Hardaway/Fournier probably similar scoring the ball, but Fournier more versatile at creating offense (Timmy mostly likes to shoot) and has a bit more length. Robinson a true knockdown shooter and the best of the bunch on shooting, but probably behind the other two on offensive versatility and IMO gonna be behind the two on D. All 3 in the 27-29 range and making 18-19.5mm (19.5 assume the value of the team option is exercised for Fournier, or it could be marginally less). Honestly I think we came out with the best player here.

+1

And the shortest contract length

Knixkik
USA
8/3/2021  2:38 PM
martin wrote:
VDesai wrote:I think we should compare the 3 wing guys who signed in the same range- Fournier, Hardaway Jr, Duncan Robinson. Hardaway/Fournier probably similar scoring the ball, but Fournier more versatile at creating offense (Timmy mostly likes to shoot) and has a bit more length. Robinson a true knockdown shooter and the best of the bunch on shooting, but probably behind the other two on offensive versatility and IMO gonna be behind the two on D. All 3 in the 27-29 range and making 18-19.5mm (19.5 assume the value of the team option is exercised for Fournier, or it could be marginally less). Honestly I think we came out with the best player here.

+1

And the shortest contract length

Yes he's the best of that group no question. Likely the best defender too (which isn't saying much.) He was the best player to change teams besides Lowry and possibly Ball. While Ball has more upside, Fournier has a more defined role as a 3rd option on a good team, which Ball hasn't reached.
TPercy
Member: #5748

8/3/2021  3:12 PM
Lots of good points were mentioned on this page. Ok I don't feel too bad about it. We had to spend the money anyway and perhaps a guy like Barnes or something was available via trade so we went with this. Would have been much happier if this was a 3 year deal but out of all the bad contracts handed out we didn't do too bad. I just hope he buys in and brings it every night. With his added firepower hopefully we can run staggered lineups more often to maximize Randle/Barrett/Fournier/Rose
The Future is Bright!
Knixkik
USA
8/3/2021  3:16 PM
TPercy wrote:Lots of good points were mentioned on this page. Ok I don't feel too bad about it. We had to spend the money anyway and perhaps a guy like Barnes or something was available via trade so we went with this. Would have been much happier if this was a 3 year deal but out of all the bad contracts handed out we didn't do too bad. I just hope he buys in and brings it every night. With his added firepower hopefully we can run staggered lineups more often to maximize Randle/Barrett/Fournier/Rose

It is a 3 year deal. 4th year is non-guaranteed.

Knicks sign Fournier

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy