[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Playoff Game #4 Thread: Knicks at Atlanta, 1pm ABC
Author Thread
jskinny35
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #928
USA
5/30/2021  3:34 PM
Enjoying the last two minutes as the kids run the floor and while they don't possess the talent needed to beat a quality team - at least we get a break from the forced ISO Randle run offense. I do think we bounce back and take Game 6. I think we likely lose 4-2 and really hope that we reconsider the Randle focused offense despite a 4-2 series loss. Worst thing would be to overestimate that we took our lumps/growing pains and are close. If the Hawks (not a defensive focused team) can shut us down - our offense needs more than some tweaking. We should be proud of our toughness, improved defensive effort and good team comradery with the vets and young guys seeming to mix well together.
AUTOADVERT
WP76
Member: #4508

5/30/2021  3:35 PM
TPercy wrote:
WP76 wrote:My goodness, this series has been an absolute kick to the stomach.

It really has but in some ways it could be a blessing in disguise. Much has been said of how we are just 1 piece away but I'm seeing 2-3 spots in need of big upgrades.

We need serious upgrades at the point and in the paint or we'll be stuck in this purgatory forever. I'd keep Julius if we could get him at less than the max. I'd like to believe he has the motivation to prove to our fanbase he's not the epic choke artist he's shown in this series.

On an unrelated note, I watched a ton of Trae Young's collegiate games and I never thought his skill set would translate as well as it has at the NBA level.

Clean
Member: #743
5/30/2021  3:36 PM
Please no extension for Randle. I could understand a bad series but I can't defend the worst ever. I am not sure how the 4th game factors in yet but the 1st 3 was the worst ever since the shot clock.
TPercy
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #5748

5/30/2021  3:37 PM
WP76 wrote:
TPercy wrote:
WP76 wrote:My goodness, this series has been an absolute kick to the stomach.

It really has but in some ways it could be a blessing in disguise. Much has been said of how we are just 1 piece away but I'm seeing 2-3 spots in need of big upgrades.

We need serious upgrades at the point and in the paint or we'll be stuck in this purgatory forever. I'd keep Julius if we could get him at less than the max. I'd like to believe he has the motivation to prove to our fanbase he's not the epic choke artist he's shown in this series.

On an unrelated note, I watched a ton of Trae Young's collegiate games and I never thought his skill set would translate as well as it has at the NBA level.

Me neither. I thought his lack of size and ability to create against length would be his downfall but he's now comfortably a top ten PG in the league.
The Future is Bright!
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/30/2021  3:43 PM
Geez guys stop being a bunch of chicken littles. What’s with all of this end of the season stuff. Toughen up

Atlanta is and has been hitting on all cylinders and we’re not. We have to take A punch once in a while

We get it together a bit and they decline a bit and we go from there

How we respond next game will say a lot. About the character of the team

I hope thibs gives IQ some more time. He seems super patient w burks and bullock even when they’re not delivering but very quick hooks w IQ. We can use the offense

Biggest surprise to zme has been Atlanta’s D. Bogdon in particular he’s been guarding rose and randle being an irritant to both

I’m not giving up until the fat lady sings!!!

(5)(5)
jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
5/30/2021  3:54 PM
Chandler wrote:Geez guys stop being a bunch of chicken littles. What’s with all of this end of the season stuff. Toughen up

Atlanta is and has been hitting on all cylinders and we’re not. We have to take A punch once in a while

I hope thibs gives IQ some more time. He seems super patient w burks and bullock even when they’re not delivering but very quick hooks w IQ. We can use the offense

Biggest surprise to zme has been Atlanta’s D. Bogdon in particular he’s been guarding rose and randle being an irritant to both

Except we took a punch in Game 3 and now are still knocked around in Games 4 and worse in 5. Hawks are better and they are hitting on all cylinders as they have a lot of weapons. The fact that we supposed to be a better defensive team and they are shutting us down is a concern. If this were the Bucks or Lakers and Giannis or Lebron was leading a defensive effort to stop Julius we would all understand. But Bogs, Gallinari and Collins are shutting down the entire inside of the 3 pt line... not including Capella who protects the rim. They are a better unit, offensively and (for this series) defensively.

We play a one man attack offense and they use Trae as focus but it's not comparable as we can't even stay near him most of the time. When Rose initiates we look much better and kick outs don't seem forced. I'd rather Randle sit at the 3 pt line and wait for kicks outs from Rose and others vs watching him slowly initiate the offense, pick up his dribble and desperately throw to whoever is available (while he's in the air) for a rushed three attempt. Maybe even try Randle at the 5 to start so he could pull Capella away from the rim? RJ is not a consistent spot up shooter so maybe this gives him some breathing room. Rose seems like the only guy for us that can play his game and pretty much get to wherever he needs to get to on the floor.

WP76
Member: #4508

5/30/2021  3:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2021  3:59 PM
Chandler wrote:Geez guys stop being a bunch of chicken littles. What’s with all of this end of the season stuff. Toughen up

While I'm hopeful, it's hard to be legitimately optimistic based on what we've seen so far.

Rightly or wrongly, Thibs doesn't trust his bench which grinds down his frontline players. He's done it his entire coaching career so it should come as absolutely no surprise that he's doing it now. With no Robinson, a hobbling Noel, a worthless Payton, and Randle/RJ coming up small, it's hard to see any path to three wins in three games against Atlanta. We've played one decent half against the Hawks and, obviously, that's why we're being annihilated.

As long as there's time on the clock, we have a chance. Not much of one but a chance, nonetheless.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

5/30/2021  4:00 PM

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

5/30/2021  4:06 PM
Clean wrote:Please no extension for Randle. I could understand a bad series but I can't defend the worst ever. I am not sure how the 4th game factors in yet but the 1st 3 was the worst ever since the shot clock.

Did we ever see Patrick Ewing have a playoff series like this in the 90’s?

The guy was effective until the very end when he was 40 years old and barely able to run full court in the 2000 series vs The Heat

Vmart
Member: #247
USA
5/30/2021  4:42 PM
Clean wrote:Besides starting Rose and Taj has Thibs made any other adjustments?

He has failed miserably in the playoffs. He needs to do better he needs to get Frank real minutes. I know Frank screwed his big opportunity but no reason not to give him another chance. Tibs has a foot out of the playoffs nothing to lose as of now.

Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
5/30/2021  4:50 PM
Nah, this is over.

This isn’t about winning extra fan cookies. The Knicks haven’t arrived this series, which is all you need to know that their defense and sharp-shooting was mostly a gimmick than a playoff-sustainable strategy. And before you talk about the opponent, this would’ve happened with every other playoff opponent save the Wizards, who may have still beaten us in a series.

For all the “success” this season, I don’t feel this core nor this coach will get us where we want to. Save for RJ, Obi and Quickley, the rest is expendable.

Knicks_Fan
fitzfarm
Member: #3285

5/30/2021  5:28 PM
Did anyone else like obi and Randle together? I just think it gives us another weapon on O and at this point why not ?
BMart
Member: #8928

5/30/2021  5:39 PM
Knicksfan wrote:Nah, this is over.

This isn’t about winning extra fan cookies. The Knicks haven’t arrived this series, which is all you need to know that their defense and sharp-shooting was mostly a gimmick than a playoff-sustainable strategy. And before you talk about the opponent, this would’ve happened with every other playoff opponent save the Wizards, who may have still beaten us in a series.

For all the “success” this season, I don’t feel this core nor this coach will get us where we want to. Save for RJ, Obi and Quickley, the rest is expendable.

I give thibs credit because he restored pride and credibility to the Knicks, something to build on. But I agree that he can’t get us to the next level, you need to run an offense to win.

BMart
Member: #8928

5/30/2021  6:03 PM
I know there a lot of Obi haters, but I love this kid. He will work his ass of in the summer and show position diversity that every one claims he doesn't have. He is a classic late bloomer, has been that way since high school. The NBA will be no different.

Trae Young breaks down the defense and distributes very well. We need that player badly. Burks missed Toppin on a breakaway and IG missed him on a pick and roll. Those plays would have no made no difference to the outcome of the game but we do everything the hard away. Fall away 22 ft jumpers, no ball movement on offense whatever, slow tempo. Our style of play was exposed and you can say our shots weren't dropping like in the regular season, but we are not getting a lot of clean looks. Atlanta gets them all day.

TPercy
Member: #5748

5/30/2021  6:58 PM
fitzfarm wrote:Did anyone else like obi and Randle together? I just think it gives us another weapon on O and at this point why not ?

Nah defensively it wasn’t great though it was nice to see Thibs trying it

The Future is Bright!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
5/30/2021  7:05 PM    LAST EDITED: 5/30/2021  7:07 PM
Randle is not Ewing. No ****.
Perhaps few of you had inflated expectations?
Chandler
Member: #6197

5/30/2021  8:05 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

well played. i got a good chuckle out of that one.

but c'mon man. Lets show some guts. Our team was supposed to suck this year -- Big Suck. we wanted Randle run out of town

they have delivered. right now they are in a rut for sure. if atlanta plays the next game like they've been playing, and we play like we've been playing then we lose

but it doesn't have to be that way. this is time to believe they're flip the script

(5)(5)
knicks1248
Member: #582
5/30/2021  9:33 PM
MS wrote:This is where you put Frank and Knox in see if they can give you anything going forward.

Noel and Randle just looked unplayable out there.

Gallo can’t defend anyone, not sure why we haven’t been attacking him. Young never gets attacked. The Hawks have switched Randle onto Young a dozen times. Nate definitely winning this war. They have more talent, but Thibs needs to do something.

If an opposing coach sees your resorting to the end of the bench for help, you mind as well waive the white flag.

I hate payton, but benching him was stupid

ES
smackeddog
Member: #883
5/31/2021  4:46 AM

Nice

Clean
Member: #743
5/31/2021  5:12 AM    LAST EDITED: 5/31/2021  5:13 AM
On a good note, I love how much Obi has stepped up in the playoffs. I hope we get a pass first PNR PG for him next season. He has untapped potential due to our bad PG rotation. If our next game is a blowout I hope Luca can get some burn. I want to see him even if it is for 5 minutes on a team where he knows no one.
Playoff Game #4 Thread: Knicks at Atlanta, 1pm ABC

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy