[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

#1 offseason target - kwame brown
Author Thread
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
11/2/2004  10:34 AM
the wizards just signed haywood to a five year 25mil extension giving them a frontcourt of jamison, etan, and haywood signed for at least 5 years for big money.

odd man out - kwame brown.

he's been slow to develop, but he's exactly what we're looking for and need and may be the most attainable. will a combo of kurt/nazr and a #1 or an expiring deal (tim/penny) get it done? that's the question.
AUTOADVERT
bernard
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #475
11/2/2004  10:49 AM
Interesting question: do we have enough trade assets to go for an established big or do we go for a guy w/ upside but a lot of question marks? Other side of the coin: do we want an established guy who's already reached his potential or a guy with a higher ceiling but who's a high risk? Would you prefer a Kwame or a Dampier type?

I'd like to see how good we are this year. If we're good enough, maybe we don't need to take the risk and can go for established, competent big who plays tough D and rebounds instead of rolling the dice on a Kwame type.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
11/2/2004  10:50 AM
probably not... would you include Ariza in such a deal?

But I'm with you... getting him or Dalembert (also out of the starting line up) would be paramount to the rebuilding effort.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
11/2/2004  10:59 AM
it would be tough to part with ariza. i was thinking that kwame would be next year's jamal crawford. i think i'm willing to give him 8 mil a year. washington would probably not match so they may take expiring deals like chicago did. i may even push up to 10mil/per for 5 years. it's alot but man, getting someone like this can really solidfy our roster.

holding on to the young'ns give us jc, ariza, sweets, and kwame as 4/5ths of our starting lineup through 2010 and beyond.

i would trade tim and a #1 for kwame and filler in a heartbeat.

it's all in grunfeld's hands. paxson was willing to work with us so maybe ernie will too. he's clearly in wait and see mode with kwame.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11/02/2004 11:02:30]
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
11/2/2004  11:09 AM
you need two things; assets the other teams want and can use and an agent involved to push it all through.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
SKY
Member: #687
USA
11/2/2004  11:28 AM
I like Dalembert better than Kwame. He's a better shot blocker and his FG% is way better than that of Kwame's. Most of all, he's a better defender with more heart and toughness.

I'm not sold on Kwame. He's a hell of an athlete and he has great upside, but his problem is about his mentality --- lack of competitive toughness, drive, fearlessness, killer instinct, etc. I doubt these things can be taught. Look at Tim Thomas. He's the same. Then, look at Ariza. He's got it and he's only 18. If you have it, you have it. If you don't, you most likely won't.

I want an Oakley-type mean bastrad manning our paint. Not a taller TT.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
11/2/2004  11:43 AM
there are some candidates out there. we have to wait and see the make-up off the new CBA where *potentially* more player movement is very plausible, where erasing the ability to spend certain$ amounts over the cap is plausible[i.e the ability to go over the MLE]

I believe in the 2 FA 2 draft pick route. Target two FA and 1 or hopefully 2 draft picks[possibly 1 who can come in and play right away and one who would be a develoment type player[who also shows that he will be able to play within a rather quick period of time}

we dont know what we can or cannot do, what we can or cannot spend until we have a new CBA. But I believe that full frontocurt turnover starts ASAP with Sweetney as the only survivor.

there are some nice names out there, young players who have huge huge potential that would fit in well here, but were going to have to wait.
Im just glad we cant trade any picks. I think Sweetney and Ariza show everyone, including the top boss, that develoing exciting YOUNG CHEAP players should be a BIg part in any team.
RIP Crushalot😞
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
11/2/2004  11:45 AM
i like Eddy Curry better than Kwame
Knicksfan
Alba Posts: 27
Member: #691
USA
11/2/2004  11:45 AM
I have thought about bringing Dalembert to NY too if we could. What we really need to get this puzzle closer to title contention status, I think we need a center like him. Kwame may have a lot of upside and could become a great player but I don't see him as what NY needs as a center.

Next offseason will be big for NY in terms of centers. Next season will be out best chance to get that young center we need to finally be title contenders because many big men will be avaliable. The draft will also include a lot of future starting centers so we have to strike somewhere. I hope Isiah makes a great job finding that future Knicks center.

[Edited by - KnicksFan on 11/02/2004 11:47:57]
Knicks_Fan
DaNixFan
Member: #374
USA
11/2/2004  1:03 PM
Sorry but Kwame is SORRY... I wouldn't waste the time in trying to acquire him....
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/2/2004  1:38 PM
Dalembert won't be attainable because he'll command way more than the MLE...

Kwame is intriguing however...it all depends on how much WAS is looking to get in return for him by season's end...by that time, they may be sick of him altogether & you might be able to snatch him away on the cheap.

Curry is another interesting possibility...he might want to play alongside his old teammate JC again, you never know...but the Bulls won't give him up unless the Knicks are offering alot of good young talent back in return...i would guess an offer of Sweetney, Ariza & an expiring contract, like Nazr, would be the minimum they'd be looking for.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
djsunyc
11/2/2004  2:43 PM
Posted by fishmike:

you need two things; assets the other teams want and can use and an agent involved to push it all through.

would jamal crawford and a #1 get it done? (are they sold on hughes? and is arenas every going to play a season without getting hurt?)

b/c i would do that also despite jamal just getting here, his spot can be filled easier than kwame.

[Edited by - djsunyc on 11/02/2004 14:44:13]
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/2/2004  3:52 PM
For a guy like Dalembert, I think I would give up Jamal, but we would still have to find ourselves another SG, either through the draft or free agency. Ron Rurray would be a good fit, as would kareem rush. I totally doubt Isiah trades Crawford though, after all the work he put into him last Summer. Craw would have to totally plummet, making him untradable, in order for Zeke to want to trade him.

With that being said, I think we should find other trade options to explore, in order to get Dalembert.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
s3231
Member: #544
USA
11/2/2004  5:37 PM
Dalembert would be a great fit here. He is really the epitome of the type of Center we need on this team. With that said, we don't really have a good shot at him at all.

Kwame is someone I wouldn't mind bringing in. I'm not too crazy about the idea because I don't really know if Kwame can develop into a good 5. I'm more for the idea of bringing in a natural center that has had some success at the position. Nevertheless, I'd still try to get Kwame if we had a shot.
"This is a very cautious situation that we're in. You have to be conservative in terms of using your assets and using them wisely. We're building for the future." - Zeke (I guess not protecting a first round pick is being conservative)
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
11/2/2004  6:33 PM
Yeah I mean it's always good to bring in talented big men but I believe Kwame is suited for the PF spot much more than he is for the C spot.
http://allknicks.com
#1 offseason target - kwame brown

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy