Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
11/2/2004  3:52 AM
dunno if already posted.

Last-minute extensions, trades, cuts

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider

The NBA season starts on election day, but NBA teams are getting out to the polls early.

This weekend saw a flurry of activity as NBA teams cast their votes for player extensions and options, trade offers, roster cuts and starting jobs.

Insider takes you around the league to get the latest on Zach Randolph and Tony Parker's extension situation, the shunning of the 2002 draft class, some starting surprises in Dallas and Philly and a quick look at who lost their jobs.

Randolph gets extension; Parker's on the verge
The NBA pushed the extension deadline back a day meaning that NBA teams have until 6 p.m. on November 1 to lock up players who began their rookie season in 2001.

So far Pau Gasol (6 years, $86 million), Andrei Kirilenko (6 years, $86 million), Jamaal Tinsley (6 years, $40 million), Shane Battier (6 years, $37 million), Jason Collins (4 years, $24 million) and Primoz Brezec (3 years, $8.5 million) have gotten deals done. Who's next?

One day after Halloween, the Trail Blazers signed Zach Randolph to a six-year, $83 million contract extension.

Paying Randolph the $83 million was a big concession for Blazers, who were only offering $72 million on Oct. 29. But don't be deceived by the big upfront number. The Blazers are deferring a full 30 percent of his contract (a whopping $25 million) for another six years after the first six years is up.

Pau Gasol and Andrei Kirilenko also had deferred money in their max contracts this fall -- but that was to the tune of $6 million each, not $25 million.

So why the huge last-minute concessions for Randolph, a player who continues to get his name in the paper for all the wrong reasons?

Randolph's agent, Raymond Brothers, took one of the hardest lines we've heard in his negotiating with the Blazers. He told GM John Nash that if his player didn't get what he was asking for he would take the Blazers' one-year tender next summer and become an unrestricted free agent in 2006. When he did so, he would leave the team.

Did the Blazers bite on the bluff? Apparently so. While many free agents threaten such a thing (Darius Miles did it to the Blazers this summer before signing a six-year deal) only two have actually gone through with it before. The Clippers' Michael Olowokandi and the Grizzlies' Stromile Swift are the only two restricted free agents who have taken a team's one-year tender to become unrestricted free agents the next summer.

It was a huge gamble … one very few free agents are willing to make when we start talking about contract offers in the seventy-million-plus range.

Signing Randolph essentially strips the Blazers of all that cap room they were holding out for next summer. Next year, their cap number should be roughly $40 million -- not enough to make a significant splash in the free-agent market.

Tony Parker and the Spurs are just $2-4 million apart in their negotiations, but still haven't worked something out. Over the weekend, head coach Gregg Popovich took the highly unusual step of publicly protesting Spurs owner Robert Holt's decision not to offer Parker more money.

"At this particular point, we've been told by ownership that they are not going to go beyond the number that's been offered to Tony, and I'm disappointed in that decision," Popovich told the San Antonio Express News.

"I understand the reasons why and the concerns on the part of ownership, but at the same time, over the years we've operated in the (fiscal) arena very successfully. I think Tony Parker has been very fair in understanding the situation and appreciating the situation he's in, while at the same time looking for a contract that shows him the respect that he deserves."

Popovich is absolutely right. The Spurs are offering $64 million. Parker is reportedly willing to settle for a $66 million contract. Given his age, ability and the free-agent market next summer, he should be able to earn up to $20 million more in a place like Atlanta, Charlotte or L.A.

This should be a slam dunk for the Spurs. But Holt is concerned that signing Parker to more money will hurl the Spurs into luxury tax land, something he's unwilling to do.

"Now, I understand it may cost me more next summer," Holt said. "And I might be kicking myself for the next five or six years because I had to pay a lot more to keep him. But right now, with everything so uncertain, I think it's the right thing to do. … I can't pay $50 million in luxury tax. I can't pay the kind of tax (Dallas owner) Mark Cuban and (Portland owner) Paul Allen have paid. I can't do that for a couple of reasons: I don't have that kind of money, and I don't think it's the right way to run a business."

There don't appear to be any other significant extension talks still underway. A few players including Jason Richardson, Troy Murphy, Samuel Dalembert and Gerald Wallace had ongoing negotiations … but no deals have been reached. Richardson and Murphy's agent, Dan Fegan, is threatening to move his players to another team next summer if a deal doesn't go down, but as of late Halloween, the two sides were still too far apart.

Other top players like Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry, Tyson Chandler, Joe Johnson and Vladimir Radmanovic ended extension discussion well before the deadline and will become restricted free agents next summer.

Trade talk starting to heat up
A number of teams began picking up the phones this weekend to start trade talks in an attempt to fill holes or move problems on a team.

Latrell Sprewell has taken his demands of a contract extension to a new level, telling the Wolves that he wants a trade if they won't give him the three-year, $40 million contract extension he believes he deserves.

The Wolves offered him a three-year deal believed to be worth $27 million. He called the offer "insulting," even though he knows there's no way he could earn that type of money on the open market next year.

"I pretty much told them I don't want what they're talking about," he told the Pioneer Press. "So if we can't work it out, work something out with somebody else."

"I'm not trying to stay the year here, I will say that," he said. "If they don't want to sign me, I want to go somewhere else. Why would I want to help them win a title? They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed. Anything can happen; it's a long season. You never know."

The Wolves are offering $9 million a year, and Spree is pulling out the "I've got a family to feed" defense?

Is he trying to feed Shawn Kemp's family? He could feed Iraq for $27 million.

Jason Kidd was cleared to begin practicing with the team this weekend, meaning the Kidd rumors are already out in full force. The Blazers are interested in a Kidd for Shareef Abdur Rahim swap, but Kidd claims he doesn't want to play for the Blazers. He would approve a trade to the Nuggets, Mavs, Timberwolves or Lakers.

Given the turmoil in Minnesota right now, perhaps a deal with the Wolves makes the most sense. If the Nets sent Kidd and Alonzo Mourning to Minnesota for Spree, Cassell and Ndubi Ebi, the Nets could clear a boat load of cap room for the summer, and the Wolves could get a point guard who, if nothing else, won't be complaining about his pay every night.

Watch the Bulls the next couple of weeks. The word out of Chicago is that GM John Paxson has had it with Eddy Curry and is once again pursuing trades for the talented, but inconsistent big man.

Curry came into camp in the best shape of his career, but his inability to rebound, remember plays or give a consistent effort on the court have brought the Bulls to the opinion that he's not going to reach his potential in Chicago.

The Grizzlies made a pretty strong play for him over the summer, offering Bonzi Wells and Stromile Swift for Curry and Robinson. Swift can't be traded this season, however, so the terms of the deal would have to change.

Some sort of Curry for Jason Richardson swap might also make sense for both teams. The Bulls need a two guard, and the Warriors need a long-term answer at center. Neither team has been able to work out an extension with their player.

Class of 2002 takes a big hit
There's been a lot of criticism heaped on the draft class of 2000 and 2001, but the class of 2002 took some huge lumps over the weekend. Teams have until 6 p.m. on November 1 to pick up the fourth-year options of players drafted in the first round of the 2002 draft. If they don't, the players become unrestricted free agents next summer and teams lose their Bird rights to re-sign them.

Twenty players in the Class of 2000 and 2001 had their options picked up. However, only 14 players from the Class of 2002 received the honor.

Yao Ming, Mike Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Nene, Chris Wilcox, Amare Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Jared Jeffries, Melvin Ely, Fred Jones, Jiri Welsch, Curtis Borchardt, Tayshaun Prince and John Salmons all will be under contract with their respective teams next season.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Dajuan Wagner, Marcus Haislip, Bostjan Nachbar, Juan Dixon, Ryan Humphrey, Kareem Rush, Qyntel Woods, Casey Jacobsen, Frank Williams and Dan Dickau will all become unrestricted free agents after the season. Two other players from the class, Jay Williams and Chris Jefferies, have already been waived.

The decision not to pick up Skita (the No. 5 pick in the draft), Rush and Jacobsen were the most surprising. The Nuggets have maintained for the past two years that Skita was a diamond in the rough and just needed polishing. However, the team has a very deep frontcourt and wants to clear enough cap room to make a run at a starting shooting guard next summer.

Rush was a big surprise for the Lakers. He's played well when he's healthy, but he's mostly been buried behind Kobe Bryant on the depth chart. Rush was actually happy to hear he'd be free this summer. "This gives me a chance to go out there and explore my options," said Rush. "I've been playing behind Kobe for three years now, and this gives me a chance to get out there. I'm actually kind of excited about it."

There was really no room left for Jacobsen after the team decided to sign Quentin Richardson this summer. Their guard rotation will be Steve Nash, Joe Johnson, Richardson and Leandro Barbosa. The minutes for Jacbosen were going to sparse, no matter what.

Starting over

Mavs head coach Don Nelson stunned just about everyone over the weekend when he announced that rookie Devin Harris will get the starting nod at point guard over Jason Terry, who hasn't come off the bench since his rookie season and struggled to run the offense the way Nelson wanted.

Harris has more playmaking skills and is a better defender than Terry, but observers were stunned that Nelson -- usually not fond of rookies -- made the call so quickly. Nelson hasn't started a rookie on opening night since Tim Hardaway joined the league in 1989.

Right now, Terry is taking the demotion well. "Anybody who looks at the history of me, that's where I made my name," Terry said. "With my energy and leadership coming off the bench with that second group, that's going to be exactly what we need."

Still, watch the situation closely. There are plenty of teams out there that need a point guard, and the Mavs have essentially put Terry on the block by making the move this early.

Another situation to watch is in Philly where Jim O'Brien has handed the starting small forward job over to rookie Andre Iguodala. Veteran Glenn Robinson was slated to start there. When O'Brien made the move, the speculation immediately began that the Sixers will try to trade Robinson (who's in the last year of his contract) or possibly even waive him if he acts up about the benching.

The Sixers are now flirting with putting Robinson on the IL. That's not a good sign.

Shareef Abdur Rahim has earned the starting nod over Darius Miles, but don't expect it to last too long. A source inside the Blazers claims that they're doing it primarily to boost Rahim's trade value. The team would like to make a move there before the holidays. Rahim is in the last year of his contract, and depending on how he plays, should have a number of suitors.

Cut me, Mick

Teams have until opening night to cut their rosters down to 15. All eyes are on the Grizzlies, who still have 17 good players on their roster. It looks like Ryan Humphrey will be one of the casualties. The other one? The team is deciding between second-year point guard Troy Bell and rookie point guard Antonio Burks. The Grizzlies used a mid-first-round pick on Bell last season and used a second-round pick on Burks this summer. But with two other point guards firmly entrenched in the rotation -- Jason Williams and Earl Watson -- the Grizzlies don't need four point guards. Look for the Grizzlies to dump Bell; despite the high predictions from Jerry West when he drafted him, Bell hasn't really fit into the style of play Hubie Brown prefers. A number of teams -- including the Hawks, Bobcats, and Jazz -- will likely try to pounce on Bell if he's set free.

The Suns bought out the last two years of Howard Eisley's contract over the weekend, clearing the way for him to join another team once he clears waivers. The heavy favorites are the Jazz. Eisley excelled in Utah under coach Jerry Sloan, and the Jazz need his help. Both Carlos Arroyo and Raul Lopez are doubtful for the opener, leaving the Jazz with just untested rookie Keith McLeod at the point.

The Bulls are working on a buyout with Eddie Robinson. The team has been trying to trade him all summer, but no one is interested in an injury-prone slacker who has $14 million remaining on his contract. Robinson has been holding out for all $14 million, but once Eisley settled for $10 million of the $14 million he was due, the market may have been set a little lower. Then again, Eisley actually wanted to play. Robinson? That's a big question mark.

The Blazers are still investigating the whole Qyntel Woods dog incident, but once the investigation is over, expect the Blazers to dump him.

Other top free agents out there after having cleared the waiver wire? Lonny Baxter, Donnell Harvey, Gary Trent, Darius Rice and Rick Rickert could all land jobs on 10-day contracts in the next week or so.

Chad Ford covers the NBA for ESPN Insider.
AUTOADVERT
raven
Canada
11/2/2004  3:53 AM
Deal: Randolph agrees to extension with Blazers

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Zach Randolph
Trail Blazers
Six more years Nov. 1 - The Trailblazers have signed Zach Randolph to a six year, $83 million contract extension league sources told ESPN Insider Chad Ford Nov. 1. The Blazers have called a 4:30 p.m. ET press conference to announce the signing.
Paying Randolph the $83 million was a big concession Blazers, who on Oct. 29 were only offering $72 million. However, don't be deceived by the big upfront number. The Blazers are deferring a full 30 percent of his contract (a whopping $25 million) for another six years after the first six years is up.

Randolph, 23, averaged 20.1 points and 10.5 rebounds to earn the NBA's most improved player award. So far Pau Gasol (6 years, $86 million), Andrei Kirilenko (6 years, $86 million), Jamaal Tinsley (6 years, $40 million), Shane Battier (6 years, $37 million), Jason Collins (4 years, $24 million) and Primoz Brezec (3 years, $8.5 million) have gotten deals done.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Latrell Sprewell
Timberwolves
? Nov. 1 - Latrell Sprewell was "insulted" by the latest three-year, $27 million contract extension offer from the Timberwolves and wants to be dealt, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Nov. 1. Sprewell wants the matter settled by Wednesday's season opener against the Knicks. And if not?
"I'm not trying to stay the year here, I will say that," he said in the newspaper. "If they don't want to sign me, I want to go somewhere else." Sprewell's $14.6 million salary this season ranks among the top 10 in the NBA.

Sprewell averaged 16.8 points per game and feels the $9 million per year offer isn't enough for how valuable he is to the team. And if he's forced to become a free agent at season's end, Sprewell won't re-sign. "Why would I want to help them win a title?" he said. "They're not doing anything for me. I've got a lot at risk here. I've got my family to feed."

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Eddy Curry
Bulls
? Nov. 1 - If the Bulls follow the Pistons' model for success, they won't be paying Eddy Curry the $10 million or so per year he'll be looking for after the season. Yes, Chicago will be well under the salary cap but the team also needs to keep F Tyson Chandler. Both had hoped for six-year extensions for big money but that doesn't appear likely.
Curry averaged nearly 15 points and more than six rebounds per game in 2003-04. But the money saved could be put towards a couple of hard-working, mid-range free agents who play smart basketball.

With shooting guard Jason Richardson and power forward Troy Murphy unhappy at Golden State, how about moving Curry to the Warriors, who could use a proven center, suggests the Chicago Tribune.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Allan Houston
Knicks
Injury Oct. 30 - Allan Houston's rehab of his sore left knee might stretch into December, the N.Y. Daily News reports. In September, he had hoped to be ready by the season opener Nov. 2.
But citing a "person close" to the $100 million man, the News reports Houston is expected to miss the first 20 games of the regular season. He has not practiced since last March. Houston played last season with pain in both knees, pain that eventually cost him 30 games.

Houston hopes to return in December, the News reports, even though the shooting guard will not say he has a timetable. President Isiah Thomas trusts Houston's judgement; said Thomas: "He knows his body better than anybody."

WHO INTERESTED THE SKINNY

DeShawn Stevenson
Magic
? Oct. 30 - Stevenson, traded to the Magic in February after 3½ seasons in Utah, apparently will be on the move again come December, the Orlando Sentinel reports.
Keith Bogans has won the job as understudy to newly-acquired shooting guard Cuttino Mobley. That means Stevenson, who in August re-signed with the Magic for a deal he claims is worth $8.5 million over three years, is expendable.

According to the Sentinel, the Magic want to trade Stevenson – who made 24 starts for them after arriving from Utah. Because he was re-signed during the offseason, he cannot be traded until Dec. 15 or three months after the agreement, whichever is longer.

Nikoloz Tskitishvili
Nuggets
? Oct. 29 - Earlier this month, "Skita" demanded that the Nuggets trade him. About a day later, he changed his mind.
Now he has to wonder if the team wants him beyond this season, the last one guaranteed under the little-used 2002 lottery pick's contract. GM Kiki Vandeweghe said the Nuggets would not pick up the $3.7 million, fourth-year option on Skita's contract, making the 7-foot project a free agent next summer.

"I would like to have a fourth option, but it's not really a big deal," Tskitishvili told the Denver Post. "I'm going to start all over from the beginning and try to go forward to be as long as I can on this team. Don't matter if it's a fourth option or (as a) free agent."

Kerry Kittles
Clippers
Clippers Oct. 28 - Kerry Kittles, who has been relatively healthy after missing the entire 2000-01 season because of injury, is not expected to make his official debut with the Clippers before Thanksgiving, the Los Angeles Times reports.
The former Net, who had missed just 17 regular-season games in the past three seasons, has told teammates he expects to be out of the lineup until late November. Since he arrived in a summer trade with the Nets, Kerry has struggled to rehab his right knee. He had surgery in June.

Neither Kittles nor the Clippers have announced a timetable for his return, the Times reports. Rookie Shaun Livingston, the high-school draftee who was supposed to learn in Kittles' shadow, might earn more playing time as a result. But coach Mike Dunleavy is likely to move swingman Corey Maggette to the backcourt to replace Kittles, and start Bobby Simmons at small forward.

Ruben Patterson
Trail Blazers
? Oct. 28 - Forward Ruben Patterson long has been unhappy about his role as a sub. On Oct. 25, he criticized management and said it – and not coach Maurice Cheeks – was responsible for limiting his playing time.
Two days later, GM John Nash was not denying he had told Cheeks to limit Patterson's time while the team tries to figure out what to do with the logjam at small forward, where Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Darius Miles reign. And he's not averse to trading the pouty Patterson.

"If you look at the situation, Shareef is shooting over 60 percent in the preseason, and we have made a substantial commitment to Darius Miles," Nash told the Oregonian.

"We remain committed to Ruben, but in a role that involves coming off the bench to energize the team. I don't think it is any different than it has been. Whether Maurice chooses to play Darius or Shareef ahead of Ruben . . . it's what we expected. And Ruben and I have talked about it. And so far I think he has been a professional, played hard and given his best effort. And if a trade were to materialize, then we would seriously consider it, but right now, that doesn't appear to be the case."

Shandon Anderson
Knicks
Trail Blazers? Mavs? Raptors? Oct. 27 - Shandon Anderson's days as a Knick are over, it seems. The Knicks and reps for the forward are trying to negotiate a buyout of the remaining three years, $24 million on his contract, the New York Post reported.
Anderson has been bound to the bench in four of the Knicks' seven preseason games and he's had enough of his feud with coach Lenny Wilkens and team president Isiah Thomas. "To get away from this situation, that's what I want," Anderson said. "Make a move. They're telling me whatever what I do, I'm not going to play."

But Anderson claims he does not know whether he's close to buyout, the Post reported.

Anderson reportedly is upset about the way coach Lenny Wilkens has used him – or not used him. Anderson's streak of 543 consecutive games ended in last season in Atlanta, when Wilkens refused to play him even though the Georgia native had purchased several tickets for friends. Before the All-Star break, Thomas reportedly was pitching Anderson to the Blazers, Mavs and Raptors.

WHO WHAT THE SKINNY

Michael Finley
Mavs
Injured
Oct. 26 - Finley, who once owned a streak of 490 consecutive NBA regular-season games played, might be on the bench come the Mavs' season opener.
The Dallas Morning News reports Finley's bothersome left hamstring might sideline him the remainder of the preseason. Even though the former iron man is aiming to be in the lineup for the Nov. 2 season opener, the Mavs might be cautious enough to keep him sidelined until they are satisfied he is healed.

With rising star Marquis Daniels bothered by a left ankle injury, two-fifths of the Mavs' projected starting lineup is sidelined. Josh Howard could replace Daniels, and Jerry Stackhouse might replace Finley in starting lineup come the season opener, the Morning News reports.

Samuel Dalembert
76ers
76ers Oct. 25 - The Sixers probably won't offer Samuel Dalembert a contract extension until next summer, the Philadelphia Daily News reports. Instead of picking up Dalembert's fourth-year option before the Oct. 31 deadline, the team will likely give the 23-year-old center a $2,360,935 qualifying offer, which would keep him a restricted free agent. "This isn't a major disagreement, just two sides that haven't been able to come to an agreement," president/general manager Billy King told the newspaper. "So it's better to wait."

Jayson Williams
Retired
Cavs?
Mavs? Oct. 23 - Former Nets' star forward Williams, who was acquitted of aggravated manslaughter in the shooting death of a limousine driver, is attempting an NBA comeback.
Nearly three weeks after a Newsday report surfaced that Williams was attempting a comeback with the Mavericks comes news that he actually had a tryout Oct. 21 with the Cavaliers. Williams, 36, reportedly has been working out with such NBA stars as the Clippers' Elton Brand during the summer and reportedly is in great shape.

"He wants to play," coach Paul Silas told the Cleveland Plain Dealer. "We worked him out a little bit, and he can still play. He can certainly help somebody."

Silas, who coached Williams as a Nets' assistant in the 1990s, said he did not know if the Cavs are interested.

A jury found Williams not guilty of aggravated manslaughter and nine other charges in the shooting and killing of limousine driver Costas "Gus" Christofi on the night of Feb. 14, 2002. Williams was convicted of hindering apprehension, tampering with witnesses, tampering with evidence and fabricating physical evidence.

Last year, Williams and Christofi's family settled a wrongful death civil lawsuit out of court. Williams was forced into retirement after he broke his leg on April 1, 1999. According to the Oct. 3 Newsday report, Williams has told friends that the insurance on the $86 million contract he signed with the Nets in the 1990s expires soon.

In January, Williams faces a retrial on a reckless manslaughter charge. The jury deadlocked on that in his criminal trial. Williams hopes prosecutors will not pursue that charge, Newsday reported.

Wally Szczerbiak
Wolves
Knicks?
Oct. 23 - Wally Szczerbiak, who earlier in training camp said unhappy with the prospect of being a sixth man for the Timberwolves, makes no secret of his interest in becoming a Knick.
The New York Daily News reports Long Island native Szczerbiak welcomes the chance to join the Knicks, even though a deal to make that a reality was nixed this past summer.

"They've always been an exciting team that I would love to play for. That's home for me," said Szczerbiak, who scored 20 points in the Timberwolves' 20-point preseason rout of the Knicks on Oct. 22.

According to the Daily News, the Timberwolves turned down an offer of Kurt Thomas -- the frontline force they covet -- and Moochie Norris for Szczerbiak because of Norris' contract.

Sam Cassell
Timberwolves
Timberwolves Oct. 22 - On Nov. 2, Sam Cassell will be 16 days shy of his 35th birthday. He'll be entering his 12th NBA season, but this one will begin on an surgically-repaired left hip.
Has Cassell returned to quickly from June surgery on the hip, the same joint he played on in considerable pain during the Timberwolves' playoff run? If you look at his shooting percentage in the preseason (13-for-35, 37.1-percent), you'd think Cassell is a little rusty, at the very least.

But Cassell points to the regular-season opener Election Night as the time his touch will return. "I don't want to show 'em everything right now," Cassell told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. "For anyone who thinks I can't shoot the basketball, we'll see Nov. 2."

The Timberwolves have a lot of concerns besides Cassell. Forward Latrell Sprewell has set the next day, Nov. 3, as the deadline for the team to submit to his demands for what he considers a reasonable contract extension. If the team does not satisfy him, Sprewell says would ask for a sign-and-trade deal or wait to become a free agent at the end of the season, the St. Paul Pioneer Press reported Oct. 22.

Jason Kidd
Nets
Mavs? Timberwolves? Oct. 22 - Rod Thorn has a job with the Nets for at least the next five years. How long will Jason Kidd be on the Swamplands' payroll?
The embattled Nets' GM was rewarded for taking the heat for the team's dramatic budget-cutting by agreeing to a five-year contract extension as president. But Thorn, the frontman for new team owner Bruce Ratner's slash-and-burn, does not rule out trading the unhappy Kidd.

Kidd "made it known to you guys (the media) that he would like to be with a team that he considers to be a championship-type contender team," Thorn said in the Oct. 22 Bergen Record.

"But I think he realizes that in order to enhance his value he needs to play and show people he can still be Jason Kidd. I think that's where all of his effort is going now."

Kidd is rehabbing a surgically-repaired left knee and could return to running the floor by Nov. 1. But there is no timetable for his return to the lineup. Kidd has indicated he'd like to be traded to the Mavs or Timberwolves, the Record reports. The $90 million remaining on his contract and his uncertain physical condition make it unlikely Kidd would be traded soon. The trade deadline is Feb. 24.
raven
Canada
11/2/2004  3:55 AM
Parker confident contract will get done

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

SAN ANTONIO -- Five observations from San Antonio Spurs training camp, based on an Oct. 18-20 visit:

Contract corner: Less than 10 days remain for the Spurs to sign Tony Parker to a contract extension. If it doesn't happen by Oct. 31, Parker will be a restricted free agent next summer, which means San Antonio would still be the overwhelming favorite to re-sign the Frenchman … but also that Parker could be somewhat unsettled this season by an uncertain future.

Of course, it's worth remembering that Manu Ginobili endured the same wait last season and played through it just fine before signing a six-year deal worth $52 million that many consider yet another Spurs bargain. Parker, meanwhile, insists that his focus won't be affected if talks are put off until July, and the 22-year-old has earned the right to be trusted after three ahead-of-the-curve seasons already.

“ I think we're getting close (on the contract), but if we're not doing it now, we'll do it next
(summer). ”
— Tony Parker,
Spurs PG

"We've got bigger stuff going on here," Parker said. "We're trying to win a championship. I think we're getting close (on the contract), but if we're not doing it now, we'll do it next (summer). I'm very confident with the Spurs. Everyone knows I love San Antonio and that I want to stay here. Who wouldn't want to play with Tim Duncan? If I stay here the next six years, we've got me, Manu and Timmy. It's, like, perfect."

Don't I know you from somewhere? The Spurs are famed for their second-half surges in the Popovich Era, but starting fast is a distinct possibility this term. Why? The Spurs are also known for making wholesale roster changes in the offseason, even after championships, but Pop has eight returning regulars: Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Rasho Nesterovic, Robert Horry, Malik Rose and Devin Brown. Brent Barry and rookie point guard Beno Udrih are the only newcomers earmarked for rotation spots.

"Which is astounding for us," Popovich said. "In the past it's always been six or more than we've changed."

The term being thrown around a lot down here is "corporate knowledge." Because these Spurs have a lot of it, Pop doesn't have to start from Page 1 of his defensive playbook, like he did after the 2003 team won the title.

Ghostbusters: Tuesday was San Antonio's first game at the SBC Center since Derek Fisher's buzzer-beater won that unforgettable Game 5 of the Western Conference semifinals last spring. Sitting mere feet from the Spurs' premature celebration, after Duncan preceded Fisher's miracle shot with one of his own, it's difficult not to think about how wild that end was ... and wonder whether the Spurs are really past it. The answers vary, not too surprisingly.

"It still hurts," Parker said. "We were playing so great. It looked like we can't lose. ... We're still thinking (about) our mistakes, what went wrong. I think we just have to learn from it and take that as a lesson. I think it's going to help us with this year because now we're very motivated, we're very hungry."

Countered Ginobili: "I forgot about that, especially after what the Olympics gave me. So I got over it. It's a different (season). Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. The same shot, they missed it the year before with Robert. They made it with Fisher. Things happen."

How they look: Don't get caught up in exhibition scores, because the Spurs aren't. They're 0-for-3 so far, but Pop cares more about how, say, Duncan responds to his short post-Olympic break or how Udrih handles the offense in short spells replacing Parker. The coach is encouraged on both counts – Duncan, especially, looks ready to start this season right now – and is likewise hopeful that he and general manager R.C. Buford "might have stumbled onto something" with the signing of swingman Linton Johnson, who didn't stick in Chicago even after the Bulls chose Johnson over Trenton Hassell.

"We look pretty good (for the) beginning stages," Duncan said. "I think we have the pieces to put it together."

Barry has struggled from the field in the games, but Duncan insists that he had been "shooting the ball incredibly" in camp.

OK, let's be honest: When you see Duncan during fourth quarters in the preseason, with ice on both knees as he gives instructions to the free-agent dreamers like James Thomas, you can't help but imagine the worst-case scenario. If anything serious health-wise happens to their franchise player, whose 13 games missed last season were Duncan's most ever during the regular season, San Antonio suddenly struggles to make the playoffs. Because, as even Duncan acknowledges, the Shaq-less West is still "as tough as it's ever been."

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here. Also, click here to send a question for possible use on ESPNEWS.
raven
Canada
Pistons, Spurs, Wolves should rise to the top

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider

There's an old Japanese proverb that says that there are "many paths up Mount Fuji." In other words, there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Is there a formula to winning an NBA championship? You'd be hard-pressed to find it if you examined this year's top four contenders for the NBA prize.

The world champion Pistons bring stifling defense, superior teamwork and a gritty, blue-collar work ethic to the table.

The former champion Spurs will hop on the back of an MVP big man, Tim Duncan, and ask him to carry them to the promised land.

The Timberwolves do it with shock and awe on the offensive end of the ball. Kevin Garnett, Latrell Sprewell, Sam Cassell and Wally Szczerbiak are all capable of dropping 30 on you on any given night.

The Pacers are a combination of the first three. They've got an MVP-caliber big man, great depth and defensive toughness, and enough offensive firepower to knock just about anyone out.

Put all four in a steel cage, and who walks out at the end?

The Pacers are this year's dark horse to bring home a title, writes NBA Insider Chad Ford. Here's Insider's season preview of the three other teams that have the best shot at winning it all this year.

DETROIT PISTONS
Starting Five: Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton, Tayshaun Prince, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace.
Key Subs: Antonio McDyess, Carlos Delfino, Elden Campbell, Lindsey Hunter.
Outlook: How about this for no respect? The Lakers beat the Spurs in six games in the second round of the playoffs. The Pistons destroyed the Lakers in the Finals.
The Pistons return every starter, add a candidate for Sixth Man of the Year in Antonio McDyess and a candidate for Rookie of the Year in Carlos Delfino. The Spurs lose a starter and add one significant free agent, Brent Barry.

The verdict? NBA GMs picked the Spurs to win it all this year. The Pistons got just 33 percent of the vote.

Huh?

"This is a team that has never been anointed," Pistons president Joe Dumars said this preseason. "Even after winning a championship, we have not been anointed. We still feel as though we have to prove it."

• Mag capsule
• Team page
• Schedule
• Roster
Predictions
Marc Stein: 1st in East
Chad Ford: 1st in East
Obviously others feel the same way. But what's really left for the Pistons to prove?

After the mid-February addition of Rasheed Wallace, the Pistons went on a 20-5 tear.

Defensively, there isn't a more intimidating team in the NBA. The have great size at every position. They are as long, athletic and gritty as any other team in the league. They have enough interchangeable parts to answer almost any defensive problem that they would face.

The truth is in the stats. Since adding 'Sheed, only two teams scored more than 90 points against the Pistons in the regular season. None broke 100.

For a team that had a rep that it couldn't score, the Pistons did just fine, tallying 90 points or more in 15 of their 25 games after 'Sheed joined the team – and won all 15 games.

This year the team features three players on their starting roster – Chauncey Billups, Richard Hamilton and Rasheed Wallace – capable of scoring 20 points per night. Players like McDyess, Delfino and Tayshaun Prince are also threats to bust out on a given night.

The team also has depth in the frontcourt, a Hall of Fame coach and the one of the top two or three front offices in the league, led by Joe Dumars and John Hammond.

Why aren't we anointing them? Is it because they don't produce enough SportsCenter highlights? Is it because we're still hung over from two decades worth of NBA indoctrination exalting the individual over the team? Maybe we're just averse to change.

Whatever the reason, the Pistons don't seem fazed.

"Say what you will about us," Dumars said, "but know that we're not trying to follow the pack. We're trying to lead it."

Chances are Dumars and the Pistons will do it again this year.

SAN ANTONIO SPURS
Starting Five: Tony Parker, Manu Ginobili, Bruce Bowen, Tim Duncan, Rasho Nesterovic.
Key Subs: Brent Barry, Malik Rose, Robert Horry, Beno Udrih.
Outlook: Tim Duncan is the superstar. Tony Parker is the rising star. Manu Ginobili is the coming star. But for all of the star power in San Antonio, it's been one regular guy, Brent Barry, that's getting all of the love this fall.
Barry, who signed a four-year deal for the mid-level exception this summer, has been cast in an unlikely and unfamiliar role for him – the missing piece to a championship team.

Considering that he's a 32-year-old combo guard who has played in a total of just 13 playoff games in his nine year career – aren't expectations getting out of control?

The Spurs point to Barry's exceptional 41 percent career shooting percentage from beyond the three-point arc and say no. Barry shot 45 percent from three last season (2nd in the league) without a dominant big man in the middle to draw a double team.

• Mag capsule
• Team page
• Schedule
• Roster
Predictions
Marc Stein: 1st in West
Chad Ford: 1st in West
With Duncan in the middle, it should be like shooting fish in a barrel for Barry.

Two seasons ago, the Spurs won the NBA title with Stephen Jackson shooting 31 percent from three. With Barry in the fold, the Spurs believe that they not only have their sharpshooter but also a backup point guard for the talented but erratic Parker.

So far the Barry experience hasn't quite worked the way the Spurs drew it up. In the preseason, he shot a miserable 28 percent from the field and missed 18 of 24 three pointers.

No one expects that trend to continue, but Barry's struggles highlight the real truths in San Antonio.

The expectations are Texas-sized for Barry, but if the Spurs are going to return to the throne, it will be on the backs of Duncan, Parker and Ginobili – not a middle-aged sniper.

Tim Duncan's numbers slipped a little bit across the board last season without David Robinson backing him up in the middle. After a grueling, disappointing Olympic summer, can Duncan rebound?

Parker, who is just 22 years old, improves every year, but he can still disappear in big games. After dominating the Grizzlies in the first round of the playoffs and the Lakers for the first two games, Parker fell apart in the Spurs' subsequent four straight losses to the Lakers.

Ginobili has the chance to be the third star in the Spurs' universe, but he has to become more consistent with his long-range jumper.

With Shaq out of the West, there isn't team in the conference that can really match up with the size of Spurs' front line, the speed of their backcourt or their championship experience.

Now it's on Duncan, Parker and Ginobili's shoulders to carry the load. Barry's just along for the ride.

MINNESOTA TIMBERWOLVES
Starting Five: Sam Cassell, Trenton Hassell, Latrell Sprewell, Kevin Garnett, Michael Olowokandi.
Key Subs: Wally Szczerbiak, Fred Hoiberg, Ervin Johnson, Mark Madsen.
Outlook: Well, someone had to replace the Lakers as the most dysfunctional championship contender.
Last year, we predicted that the Timberwolves, despite their clear upgrade in talent, would implode under the weight of all the egos that GM Kevin McHale brought in.

Looks like we were one year off on that one.

Kevin Garnett's self-confidence is big enough to encircle the Earth. Add in Sam Cassell, Latrell Sprewell, Michael Olowokandi and Wally Szczerbiak, and you're talking about a black hole that could engulf the universe.

However, last year everyone got along beautifully, the Wolves posted the best record in the West and they made it to the Western Conference Finals – giving the Lakers as tough a fight as the Spurs did.

• Mag capsule
• Team page
• Schedule
• Roster
Predictions
Marc Stein: 2nd in West
Chad Ford: 2nd in West
So why aren't the Wolves sitting atop this list with everyone returning to the fold?

Remember that ego thing? Sometimes success brings out the worst of it.

It started in training camp when Cassell was a no-show, demanding that his contract be extended in appreciation for all that he gave to the team last season.

Then Sprewell followed suit, claiming he was outraged -- outraged! -- that the Wolves weren't willing to give him a three-year, $40 million extension. Now he's demanding a trade.

Factor in that the Wolves were unable to pull off a trade for Szczerbiak to ease tensions in the locker room, and it looks like the soap opera is just beginning in Minnesota.

Don't believe it? Listen to Cassell talking about how he'll react if he doesn't get his money.

"I'm going to play, but you know, show me the respect that I'm showing you," Cassell said. "If you're not going to respect me, I can't do it."

Spree has been equally stubborn. "I'm not trying to stay the year here, I will say that," he said on Sunday. "If they don't want to sign me, I want to go somewhere else."

So much for that all-for-one, one-for-all mentality that reigned last year.

The problem for the Timberwolves is that they know it's franchise suicide to give those players the money that they want. Neither player deserves a penny more than what they have left on the books.

Cassell turns 35 in November and is looking for an extension that goes three years beyond his current contract, which ends after the 2005-06 season.

Spree, who just turned 34 and is showing signs of advanced age, wants a deal that will pay him more than $10 million a season when he's 38 years old. He's not worth that now.

However, if Kevin McHale balks at their demands, he can pretty much guarantee that Cassell and Sprewell will take matters into their own hands on the court and sulk all season off it.

That type of tension causes problems on even the best of teams, but on this potential powder keg, the whole thing might blow.

The good news is that Kevin Garnett continues to get better every year. Szczerbiak is finally healthy and playing great in the preseason. Everyone is cautiously optimistic that Olowokandi is good to go, barring a season-ending paper cut. And the team gets back Troy Hudson, who missed most of last season with an ankle injury.

Will that be enough to overcome Cassell's and Spree's temper tantrums? History suggests we'll be heading for another messy divorce this summer if the Wolves don't find a way to win it all now.

raven
Canada
Spendthrift Knicks buy spiffy resumes, spotty results

By Terry Brown
NBA Insider

The worst part about the New York Knicks' loss to the Utah Jazz last Tuesday night at the Delta Center isn't that they lost by a whopping 24 points or that they gave 39 points in the first quarter or even that they were down by as much as 32 points in the game.

The worst part is that they probably expected to lose the game the whole time.

With 8:50 left in the opening quarter, the game was still competitive with the Jazz holding a slight 12-10 lead.

But after a few free throws by Utah, Tim Thomas had his shot blocked by Andrei Kirilenko. On the ensuing possession, Kirilenko worked his way inside of Thomas for a tip-in bucket. Thomas missed his next jump hook shot, Carlos Boozer made a lay up and then Thomas missed another hook shot.

After two more buckets by Kirilenko, the last a three-point play after another foul by Thomas, the Jazz were up 23-10 and the game was all but over.

This time, Thomas can take the blame. But what about the 43 losses that the Knicks took last year as the highest paid team in the league? Or the 45 the year before? Or the 52 the year before that?

In an attempt to reverse this trend, the Knicks hired and fired a general manager and head coach and bloated their team salary with players who make a lot of money and put up their fair share of stats but have shown no indication that they know how to win.

Last year, the Knicks had the highest salary in the NBA at $84.5 million dollars with at one time or another five different players making max money under the league's Collective Bargaining Agreement.
Marbury and his fellow Knicks' millionaires write the ticket to mediocrity.

After a few more deals and free agents moves, this is how their starting line up has turned out for this year's preseason:

Stephon Marbury: An All Star guard with career averages of 20.4 points and 8.3 assists per game. Last year, was voted to the All NBA Third Team.

Jamal Crawford: Lottery pick who can play both point guard and shooting guard and averaged 17.3 points per game last year for the Bulls, 50 in a single game, and the prized free-agent pick up of the offseason.

Tim Thomas : Multi-faceted forward who has defended all five positions in the past with a myriad of offensive skills. Made the All- Rookie team and nearly named Sixth Man of the Year on several occasions.

Kurt Thomas: Hard-nosed power forward who also made the All Rookie team after leading the entire NCAA in both scoring and rebounding (only three players in history have done this) and three-year starter for the team.

Nazr Mohammed: Former Kentucky Wildcat and NCAA champion, an agile big man who can block shots and run the floor endlessly.
This is what the Knicks want potential season-ticket holders to read in the media guide. Of course, there are other players on the team, but these are the ones currently starting in the preseason.

And here is what they don't want you to read.

Marbury: This highly-touted point guard has been traded by three different teams and is currently playing for his fourth. After being traded away by New Jersey, the Nets went to three consecutive NBA Finals. In his eight seasons, he has led his team to 249 wins and 287 losses.
Crawford: Often benched by the talent-starved Bulls for failing to play team ball. He won only 89 games with the Bulls, lost 239.

Tim Thomas: Playing for his third team in seven years and the only player in this group to have a winning record. But just barely. Despite playing for traditionally strong franchises in Milwaukee and Philadelphia, Thomas has a record of 318-305.

Kurt Thomas: The veteran of the group has won 324 games during his nine-year career spanning three teams to go along with 382 losses. After being traded by Miami in 1997, the Heat went on to the Eastern Conference Finals with a franchise best 61 wins.

Mohammed: Was supposed to be the starting center for four different franchises but after only six years is getting a final shot. Has a record of 213-244. After being traded away by the Sixers in 2001, Philadelphia reached the NBA Finals without him.
Every player has his ups and downs. No one can completely control who drafts them or who trades them or how often they get injured.

But that doesn't change the fact that the current Knick starting line up has a career record of 1193-1457. Its won only 45 percent of its games. That's a long time with a lot of teams compiling a lot of losses.

On paper, these players possibly can justify their careers and maybe even their salaries.

But as a team, with any team, they just don't win despite being paid a lot of money. Instead of acquiring team winners, the Knicks have assembled individual stars.

Where have we heard that before?

So it shouldn't surprise anyone that in the very next game after the Utah thumping, the Knicks took the floor against the Dallas Mavericks and gave up 33 points in the first quarter, were down by 22 by halftime and as much as 37 in the second half. They ended up losing by 38 points making it an unbelievable 62 points over their last two games.

But that's okay.

They won their first two preseason games so their record stands at 2-2. And by their standards, that means they're ahead of the game.

raven
Canada
11/2/2004  3:56 AM
Will Kirilenko, Parker and Spree get paid?

By Chad Ford
NBA Insider

Training camp is supposed to be a time for optimism for all 30 teams. So, why has there been so much distress and controversy in camp this year?

It's tied primarily to a growing nervousness among players that the rules of the collective bargaining agreement are nearing expiration. So far, only four players out of a possible 50 or so eligible players have gotten their contract extensions done.

Everyone from Andrei Kirilenko to Latrell Sprewell has been pouting about their owner's unwillingness to offer a big fat extension before the deadline.

What gives? Owners know that the collective bargaining agreement will likely change in their favor. The owners are hoping that the next round of contracts will have fewer guaranteed years and smaller raises – something the players obviously want to avoid.

With the deadline for the draft class of 2001 just a little over a week away, here's a quick look around the league on where the extension talks stands.

THE DRAFT CLASS OF 2001
Members of the draft class of 2001 are eligible for six-year extensions up to a maximum of $86 million this fall. So far, just four players in the class have signed deals. The Grizzlies' Pau Gasol signed for the full six years ($86 million). The Nets' Richard Jefferson got six years, $76 million. The Grizzlies' Shane Battier signed a six-year, $37 million extension. And the Bobcats' Primoz Brezec inked a three-year, $8.25 million deal.

If players don't get an extension done by Oct. 31, they become restricted free agents next summer.

Andrei Kirilenko, F, Utah Jazz

The skinny: The negotiations between the Jazz and Kirilenko have been rockier than most people expected. However, sources told Insider late Thursday that the two sides had agreed in principle to a deal that would make Kirilenko the second player in this class to earn a full six-year, $86 million extension. That's more than the Jazz really wanted to pay, but once Gasol inked his extension, the Jazz were stuck. Most people in the league believe Kirilenko is a better player. The stats and the fact that he's already made an All-Star team back him up. The Jazz were looking to get some sort of discount for signing Kirilenko now, and they still will likely get it. The Jazz want him to defer some of the money he makes in his contract beyond the first six years of the deal (Gasol did the same thing with his contract in Memphis). That allows the Jazz to enjoy a significant savings over the life of the contract. The two sides are still working out the details of how the money is deferred but are confident that things will work out before the deadline.

Zach Randolph, PF, Blazers

Randolph
The skinny: The Blazers recently upped their offer to six years, $72 million, sources told Insider. That's a lot of money for a player who has skirted on the wrong side of the law throughout his playing career. Amazingly, Randolph still wants more money. On talent, he believes he's in the same category as Gasol and and wants max type money. Should the Blazers give it to him? If talent were the only issue, it would be hard to argue with Randolph. The team has grave reservations, however, about Randolph's maturity. While they believe he's a good kid at heart, his judgement and his choice of friends remains questionable. With all of the scandals the Blazers have had to endure, how much more can they take? If I'm Randolph's agent, I take the money and run. It's hard to believe this kid can keep his nose clean for an entire season. If he doesn't, his value starts to plummet.

Tony Parker, PG, Spurs

Parker
The skinny: The Spurs' offer started a little low, but over the past two weeks the two sides have come much closer to an agreement. Still, Parker and the Spurs are far enough apart that it's questionable whether they'll strike a deal before the deadline. Parker knows he's the best point guard prospect in free agency next summer. He's just 22 years old, has a championship ring and the ability to do just about whatever he wants on the court. Given what Steve Nash pulled down with the Suns, it's not out of the question that Parker could get a max deal next season.. The Clippers, Hawks, and Bobcats all will have the cash to throw a max deal his way and need a point guard. Point guard is one of the hardest positions in the league to fill, and Parker's got the chance to be great. The Spurs, more financially conservative than most, will be reluctant to pay him that. He could be one of the hottest free agents on the market next summer.

Samuel Dalembert, C, Sixers

Dalembert
The skinny: Sources on both sides claim that talks are dead at the moment. Dalembert played so well toward the end of the season, he knows he's one more good season away from earning huge dollars. His contract demands, in the $70 million range, might seem excessive now, but they could be a lot higher next season if he continues to rebound and block shots at the pace he did in March and April. The Sixers aren't ready to gamble yet. If Dalembert has a breakout season, they'll pay him. But with all the bad deals on the Sixers' books at the moment, they aren't ready to gamble just yet.

Eddy Curry, C, Bulls

Curry
The skinny: Curry got in the best shape of his career this fall in anticipation of a big contract, but the Bulls laughed out loud when Curry's agent demanded near max dollars. There's no way that's going to happen. While the team is happy with his conditioning, it still hasn't made him a good rebounder nor has it helped him remember simple inbounds plays. GM John Paxson is between a rock and a hard place on Curry. He knows that for Curry to reach his maximum potential, he probably needs to be shipped out of Chicago. On the other hand, his trade value is so low right now that any deal will likely look like a bad one for the Bulls. Unless the Bulls really light it up early, don't expect him to be in a Bulls' uniform past the February trade deadline.

Tyson Chandler, F/C, Bulls

Chandler
The skinny: Chandler is finally healthy and has looked impressive so far in the preseason, but don't look for either side to cut a deal before the deadline. Sources claim that, contrary to a published report, there isn't a deal in the works for Chandler. The Bulls would be open to doing something for a discount, but Chandler wants a chance to prove himself and earn more cash next summer. If he keeps playing the way he's played the past two weeks, it will be a good move on Chandler's part.

Kwame Brown, F/C, Wizards

Brown
The skinny: The former No. 1 pick had his moments last year. However, an injury has derailed his preseason and any chance of him earning a big extension now. Brown is an enigma. He has the body and talent to be a superstar. Does he have the head and the heart? The Wizards still aren't sure. If he blows up this year, they might be forced to offer him a huge contract. If he stinks again this year, his value will begin to plummet. The word out of Washington right now is that no one is too concerned with him having a huge year, not with Antawn Jamison hogging the ball in the paint.

Joe Johnson, G/F, Suns

Johnson
The skinny: Some sort of deal may happen between the Suns and Johnson. The team loves him and wants him back, and Johnson wants to stay in Phoenix. The issue here is that the new owners forked out over $100 million in new contracts this summer and are reluctant to swallow another long-term deal until they see how the team jells. That may put off a contract for now, but the chances of Johnson staying in Phoenix for the long haul look high.

Jason Richardson, SG, Warriors

Richardson
The skinny: Richardson improved in almost every aspect of his game last season. He improved his scoring, mid-range shot and willingness to put the ball on the floor and get to the line. For much of the season, he was the team's most consistent scoring option. He's an excellent rebounder for a guard. New GM Chris Mullin promised Richardson he'd get a new deal this fall, but that was before his agent, Dan Fegan, asked for more than $70 million. Given the overblown market, it's not an unreasonable request (Is Jefferson really that much better than Richardson?), but Mullin has a dilemma. He spent so much money this summer overpaying Adonal Foyle and Derek Fisher that the high dollars are becoming tough for owner Chris Cohan to swallow. And don't forget, Fegan has another guy in Golden State who's asking for big bucks too this fall.

Troy Murphy, PF, Warriors

Murphy
The skinny: Murphy, too, is looking for huge dollars from the Warriors. While his demands aren't quite as high as Richardson, they're close enough that the Warriors are really sweating this. If both Richardson and Murphy get their money, the team is out of cap room next summer, hurting its ability to make the additions necessary to compete in the West. And they will be looking at another big extension for Mike Dunleavy Jr. next fall that could put them into luxury-tax territory. How much money is Cohan willing to fork out for a team that doesn't look like its anywhere close to competing for a playoff berth in the West? As of right now, both sides claim that they're pretty far apart on both players. If Mullin doesn't get something done now, expect Fegan to try to get both of them out of Golden State next summer. Say what you will about his negotiating style, but he almost always finds a great deal for his players.

Vladimir Radmanovic, F, Sonics

Radmanovic
The skinny: Radmanovic wants out. That was clear when his agent proposed a $70 million extension for a guy that will be a backup this season in Seattle. The truth is that Radmanovic has been trying to be traded for over a year to no avail. The idea of asking for a huge extension was just another signal to the team that he doesn't want to come back. So far, the Sonics are just standing pat. Nothing will get done before the deadline unless a trade happens.

Jason Collins, C, Nets

Collins
The skinny: He's been solid for the Nets the past couple of seasons, but with all of the flux that the team is in right now, chances of an extension are slim. Management wants to see how he responds to be the team's only real low-post scoring option. In the past, Collins was asked just to do the little things. Now the Nets need much more. If he has a big season, he could get a big payday.

Jamaal Tinsley, PG, Pacers

Tinsley
The skinny: The Pacers want to keep him and have been in serious dialogue with the point guard about an extension. However, at this point nothing is close. With comps out there like Rafer Alston (five years, $21 million) and Troy Hudson (six years, $38 million), Tinsley should be able to command nice figures.

2005 Free-Agent Class
A handful of soon-to-be unrestricted free agents are also trying to work out deals now. So far, only the Blazers Theo Ratliff has been able to secure a significant extension.

Tracy McGrady, G, Rockets
The skinny: McGrady and the Rockets will get something done soon. They didn't trade away three starters just to watch him opt out of his contract and become an unrestricted free agent next summer. He'll get whatever he asks for.

Latrell Sprewell G, Timberwolves
The skinny: Spree is threatening to cause problems if the Wolves don't work out a contract extension. He's asking for a three-year, $40 million extension. The Wolves might be willing to get something done for Spree for much less money (try three years, $30 million) but don't want to spend more. Spree is 34 years old and his game is starting to erode. He claims he'll ask for a sign-and-trade if something doesn't get done soon. His contract might be appealing to a team trying to get under the cap, but it's hard to see a team that will be anxious to give him a huge extension.

Ray Allen, G, Sonics
The skinny: Allen and the Sonics have been negotiating all summer. While the Sonics are willing to offer Allen a significant contract, they aren't willing to meet his demands of a max deal. Folks around the league are watching this negotiation closely. If the Sonics don't cut a deal now, he'll bolt the team this summer and become one of the few free agents on the market that people actually are interested in. The Sonics might be better off letting that happen. Without Allen on the books, the team would be significantly under the cap next season. What they have right now isn't working. Why pay huge dollars to keep the status quo?

The Draft Class of 2002
Teams have a fourth-year player option on all players drafted in the first round of the Class of 2002. If they don't pick it up, the players become unrestricted free agents next summer.

Many of the players are slam dunks. Yao Ming, Dunleavy, Drew Gooden, Nene, Chris Wilcox, Amare Stoudemire, Caron Butler, Melvin Ely, Fred Jones, Jiri Welsch, Kareem Rush, Tayshaun Prince and John Salmons all have had or will have their options picked up for next season.

A number of players are still on the wait-and-see list. Nikoloz Tskitishvili, Dajuan Wagner, Jared Jeffries, Marcus Haislip, Bostjan Nachbar, Juan Dixon, Curtis Borchardt, Raul Lopez, Casey Jacobsen and Frank Williams have yet to hear what their respective teams will do.

It's likely that Skita, Wagner, Jeffries and Jacobsen will have their options picked up. Haislip, Nachbar, Borchardt, Lopez and Williams could be out of luck.

Several other players from the class including Ryan Humphrey, Qyntel Woods and Dan Dickau likely won't see their options picked up. In fact, all three could be waived before the season starts.

raven
Canada
11/2/2004  3:56 AM
Is trading -- or keeping -- Kidd worth the risks?

By Terry Brown
NBA Insider

Jason Kidd might be the best point guard in the NBA today.

He might have been the best point guard in the league the past three seasons.

After being named to the All-NBA first team in five of the last six seasons, he might be the best point guard of his generation, right there in between John Stockton and LeBron James in terms of chronology and somewhere between Magic Johnson and Mark Jackson in terms of legend.

But where will he be next?

That is the question to be debated now after more signs from both Kidd and the Nets seem to indicate that there is yet another move in his future.

Will the Kidd family be celebrating his signing with a new team soon?
Currently, he is sidelined while rehabbing his surgically-repaired knee. He was just given clearance to begin running on it. Some reports indicate that he will not return to the lineup until as late as December.

He'll tell you different. Kidd will say that he's coming back sooner and that he's coming back stronger. He'll also tell you that the six-year, $103.6 million deal (averaging $17.2 million a season) that he signed last year is still a viable contract and any team that wants to start the best point guard in the league should be more than happy to pay it.

He was worth the $17.2 million last year. He might be worth the $17.2 million this year even at 60 games in his eleventh season. And he might be worth the $17.2 million next year. But will he be worth $17.2 million in the three following seasons, when he will have played 15 pro seasons?

We decided to consult the greatest point guards in NBA history, in chronological order, and see what their statistics had to say. (N/A signifies recognized NBA statistics were not kept for categories in that era)

Bob Cousy

11th Season: (76 games) 18.1 ppg, 4.4 rpg, 7.7 apg, N/A spg, N/A bpg, 37.1 FG% in 32.4 mpg

Career: (13+ seasons) 18.4 ppg, 5.2 rpg, 7.5 apg, N/A spg, N/A bpg, 37.5 FG% in 32.6 mpg

Oscar Robertson

11th Season: (81 games) 19.4 ppg, 5.7 rpg, 8.2 apg, N/A spg, N/A bpg, 49.6 FG% in 39.4 mpg

Career: (14 seasons) 25.7 ppg, 7.5 rpg, 9.5 apg, N/A spg, N/A bpg, 48.5 FG% in 42.1 mpg

Magic Johnson

11th Season: (79 games) 22.3 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 11.5 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.4 bpg, 48% FG% in 37.2 mpg

Career: (12+ seasons) 19.5 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 11.2 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.4 bpg, 53 FG% in 36.6 mpg

Isiah Thomas

11th Season: (78 games) 18.5 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.2 apg, 1.5 spg, 0.2 bpg, 44.6 FG% in 37.4 mpg

Career: (13 seasons) 19.2 ppg, 3.6 rpg, 9.3 apg, 1.9 spg, 0.2 bpg, 45 FG% in 36.2 mpg

John Stockton

11th Season: (82 games) 14.7 ppg, 3.1 rpg, 12.3 apg, 2.3 spg, 0.2 spg, 54.2 FG% in 34.9 mpg

Career: (19 seasons) 13.1 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 10.5 apg, 2.1 spg, 0.2 bpg, 51.5 FG% in 31.7 mpg

Mark Jackson

11th Season: (82 games) 8.3 ppg, 3.9 rpg, 8.7 apg, 1 spg, 0.02 bpg, 41.6 FG% in 29.4 mpg

Career: (17 seasons) 9.6 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 8 apg, 1.2 spg, 0.09 bpg, 44.7 FG% in 28.8 mpg

Here are six of the greatest NBA point guards playing an average of 80 games each in their 11th season and logging 35.1 minutes per game while doing so. Stockton was still averaging 12.3 assists per game, Oscar was at 19.4 points per game on almost 50 percent shooting and Magic was pulling down 6.6 rebounds per game.

They were still near the top of their games and well worth max deals whatever they might have been back at that time. But what about the 12th and 13th and 14th season, since Kidd's current deal puts him into a 15th season?

The Nets, or any team Kidd plays for this season, would love it if he could recreate Robertson's (playing defense) stats in the Big O's 11th NBA season.
Well, these six players were able to continue their NBA careers for an average of 3.6 more years after the 11th which would put them with an average retirement midway through the 15th season. And throwing away 41 games in the final year of a long contract is certainly worth having the best point guard on your team for the next two or three seasons, especially if it means a legitimate shot at an NBA title or two.

But here's the problem.

Those numbers are inflated by the careers of Stockton and Jackson.

Stockton played a whopping 19 seasons in the NBA while missing only 22 games. His stamina is legendary and he worked diligently every off season to keep himself in top form.

Kidd is also an energy type guy and no one is doubting his offseason regimen. But the fact remains that in only 10 seasons, Kidd already has missed 68 games, including 15 last season. In terms of physical constitution, he is no Stockton.

And in terms of physical ability, he wouldn't want to be Jackson who bounced between five different teams in his final six seasons.

So the answer may very well lie between these two players.

John Stockton

19th season: (82 games) 10.8 ppg, 2.5 rpg, 7.7 apg, 1.6 spg, 0.2 bpg, 48.3 FG% in 27.7 mpg

Mark Jackson

15th season: (82 games) 8.4 ppg, 3.8 rpg, 7.4 apg, 1 spg, 0.08 bpg, 44 FG% in 28.9 mpg

Does any team want to pay Kidd in excess of $20 million for the above stat lines in four seasons in order to have a shot at winning an NBA title in the next two or three years?

Who knows?

With a better supporting cast, maybe Kidd can last longer. Or maybe he never fully recovers from knee surgery.

Or maybe someone remembers that even when fully healthy and running his teams deep into the playoffs, he's never lasted more than 4 ½ seasons with any one team.

In 10 seasons, he's already played for three teams and is dreaming of a fourth. He was in Dallas for three seasons before being traded. He was in Phoenix for a little over four seasons before being traded. And he's been with the Nets for the last three seasons.

Maybe we're being a bit presumptuous and will just have to re-run this story in 2008, when Kidd is looking for a fifth team.
various insider articles

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy