Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/30/2004  7:59 PM
http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/247722p-212085c.html

Allan could miss month

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Allan Houston ended last season on the bench and he could be spending the first 20 games of the 2004-05 season in the role of a well-paid spectator.
According to a person close to the Knicks' shooting guard, Houston could miss the first month of the regular season. Houston, who is currently sidelined with a sore left knee, has not practiced or played since last March and likely will be placed on the injured list prior to Wednesday's opener in Minnesota.

A source with knowledge of Houston's condition said he is "weeks away" from playing and added that Houston is hoping to return by December. Houston has refused to place a timetable on his comeback, saying repeatedly that he will return once he feels confident that his knee is strong.

Houston, the coaching staff and front office all agree that Houston should not rush back and risk a setback. Last season, Houston played with pain in both knees that forced him to miss 30 games. He also missed the Knicks' first-round playoff series against New Jersey.

Houston is taking a cautious approach in his rehabilitation and he has the full support of Knicks president Isiah Thomas.

"Personally, I have a lot of faith and trust in his judgment," Thomas said. "He knows his body better than anybody."

The Knicks went into the offseason preparing for the possibility that Houston would not be available. Thomas' biggest move was to acquire guard Jamal Crawford from the Bulls in a sign-and-trade. Crawford will open the season as the starting shooting guard and likely will stay there for a few games when Houston does return.

On Thursday, Thomas hinted that the Knicks aren't expecting to see Houston play again until sometime in December.

"We've been patient this long," he said. "So if we have to wait another week or two or three weeks or however long we have to wait until he's absolutely 100%, my opinion is we should wait."

It became clear in mid-October that Houston would not be ready by opening night. Now, it appears that his former teammate, Latrell Sprewell, may also miss Wednesday's opener in Minnesota against the Knicks. Sprewell told the St. Paul Pioneer Press yesterday that his sore left ankle could prevent him from playing.

"I don't know, that's a good question," Sprewell said. "It feels better, but running-wise, I'm still limping. I'm not trying to get out there and rush it and have something else happen. Or have this linger on."

It's hard to imagine Sprewell wasting an opportunity to torment his former team. But then, Sprewell is in a bitter contract renegotiation with the Timberwolves and may not have the motivation to play hurt.

Last week, Sprewell expressed disappointment with management over the talks, and then two days ago he missed a mandatory team function. When asked if he skipped the event as a sign of protest, Sprewell said, "Yeah, you can say that.

"I think it's pretty obvious," he added. "You don't have to say what it is."

AUTOADVERT
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
10/30/2004  9:08 PM
Houston is never coming back. He just doesn't want to get the fans mad. Why do you think Isiah got Jamal Crawford? And even if Houston does come back, he will score 8-10 points a game. I'm sorry, but his career is done. He has been pushing it back and back. It's sad really. He's done. Finsihed. Cooked. Sorry guys, I love Allan, but he's not the Allan Houston of old. It's over for him. I don't mean to be so negative, but you can tell by how he keeps pushing it back that he's more and more f---ed. lol
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/30/2004  9:14 PM
thats what i expected after hearing that he may not be ready for the start of the season. I expect him to play by late november-early december.
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
10/30/2004  9:29 PM
Posted by LongIslandKnicksFan:

Houston is never coming back. He just doesn't want to get the fans mad. Why do you think Isiah got Jamal Crawford? And even if Houston does come back, he will score 8-10 points a game. I'm sorry, but his career is done. He has been pushing it back and back. It's sad really. He's done. Finsihed. Cooked. Sorry guys, I love Allan, but he's not the Allan Houston of old. It's over for him. I don't mean to be so negative, but you can tell by how he keeps pushing it back that he's more and more f---ed. lol
I completely disagree... being cautious is the right thing to do. You are talking about a guy of high class and character... he wouldn't just be the type of guy who pushes his career to a point where he's useless... he's the type that knows when to hang up the laces. 8-10 ppg? If he gets 15 minutes of playing time per game maybe.
He just doesn't want to get the fans mad.
If he didn't want to get the fans mad he would either have come back really early or asked for a trade out of the spotlight or something a few years ago when he just signed that $100 million deal.
http://allknicks.com
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/30/2004  9:30 PM
I can easily tolerate 20 games. Hell, I'll give him 30 if he can come back with his jump shot. We need him, and bringing him back too soon will only hurt us in the long run.
LongIslandKnicksFan
USA
10/30/2004  9:53 PM
Houston is a one dimensional player. The sweetest jumper in the league, and that's about it. He barely ever drives to the hoop and is getting more injuries as he is getting older. He does not deserve the 100 million dollar contract, I'm sorry, but this guy is killing the Knicks.

Allan will never be like he was in 1999. Never. He will be as good as 2002. I don't think he will ever be able to score 50 ever again. He did in 2003 I believe? Or was it 2002? Against the Lakers and Bucks? I don't remember who. Those days are over. He is just a jump shooter with no defensive skills.
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/30/2004  10:27 PM
Houston doesn't have to be the player he once was in order to help the team. If he can be a consistent scoring threat off the bench, he'd be very helpful. He should take as much time as he needs. This team can make the playoffs, probably even win the division, without him.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/30/2004  11:28 PM
Posted by LongIslandKnicksFan:

Houston is a one dimensional player. The sweetest jumper in the league, and that's about it. He barely ever drives to the hoop and is getting more injuries as he is getting older. He does not deserve the 100 million dollar contract, I'm sorry, but this guy is killing the Knicks.

Allan will never be like he was in 1999. Never. He will be as good as 2002. I don't think he will ever be able to score 50 ever again. He did in 2003 I believe? Or was it 2002? Against the Lakers and Bucks? I don't remember who. Those days are over. He is just a jump shooter with no defensive skills.

band wagon banter.

Check out miss cleo over hear with the jimmy the greek like prediction. You must have "ESPN" or some kinda way of knowing things before they happen!

[Edited by - nalod on 10/31/2004 00:30:24]
LongIslandKnicksFan
USA
10/31/2004  12:00 AM
Call me what you want, but I'm a Knicks fan. I'm not going to sit here believing he is going to come back. I, as a fan, and in my own opinion, do not believe Allan Houston is a great player. The media keeps on asking when he's coming back and for months he has been saying "Maybe by the beginning of the season." etc.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/31/2004  6:32 AM
where's Silver when...he would love this thread lol
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
10/31/2004  7:22 AM
Alan Houston is a great shooter. He's not a top 5 SGs in the league, and he never was due to his shortcomings in the area of defense & athleticism. But he's one hell of a shooter, and a critical ingredient to the success of this team in the next 3 yrs. He carried the team on his back on many nights after Ewing left, and I have atmost respect for his game and his character. Expecting him to play tough defense or slash to the basket, etc, is wrong. That's not his game. And it was not his fault that an idiot offered him to pay 100 million and he took it.

I understand why people criticize Alan. But, in my view, the best thing for him and the team is that he takes his time and comes back on the court being 100% whether that's in November, February, or next season. If players like Hill, McDyess, Penny can come back playing well after having gone thru many knee surgeries, there's some chance that Allan could join that group in the future.

Look, he's got 3 yrs left on his contract at $57 million. We need to look long term. I wouldn't mind if he didn't come back this season if that means that he could come back next season in great condition.

Even if he comes back this season, that doesn't mean the Knicks winning the Eastern conference championship (let alone league championship) anyways.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/31/2004  11:43 AM
i think we all knew he wasn't going to be back till december anyway. the good thing is that his game is not relient on his knee. he's not a slasher, he's a jumpshooter so he should be able to make an impact sooner rather than later. 20 mins a game from him last year and we win 2 games vs. the nets. 20 mins a game from him now is all we need till the playoffs. that's EXACTLY why isiah got crawford.
Article: Houston could miss November

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy