[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The State of the Knicks so far under the Leon Rose Era
Author Thread
Jimbo5
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8854

2/10/2021  10:56 PM
Right after the Knicks traded Porzingis I thought they are destined to be bad for the next decade. The moves that Steve Mills did was frustrating to watch, its like his tenure was always in the neutral gear. The only good thing he did was maintaining Cap flexibility. I cant even credit him totally for Randle's emergance. Well maybe drafting RJ, atleast when the knicks missed out on Zion and Ja he didn't get cute and draft someone unexpected.

Surprisingly, Rose has been smart, calculated and patient. The personnel he put in place from the people he surrounded himself in the front office to the coaching staff is very good. In just one offseason atleast we can see a positive direction. The team is now starting to establish an identity and the rest of the NBA is starting to notice it. Now the Knicks have a young core of players that can compete with other young teams like the Hawks, Memphis and the Bulls.

It seems like Rose might be ready make that big move to cash in on the young talent and draft capital they have accumulated. If Rose can make that move and still able to leave the young team of Mitch, Randle, Obi, Rj and Quickley intact and still have enough draft picks to fortify the bench i will give Rose a grade of A if that happens but as of now im happy with the direction this team is heading.

AUTOADVERT
arkrud
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #995
USA
2/10/2021  11:36 PM    LAST EDITED: 2/10/2021  11:37 PM
So far normal bbal business. No nonsense.
WE just get used to clown show with Knicks going on for so long that normality looks like something outstanding.
The result is still unknown so its wait and see...
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." Hamlet
shinmen
Member: #6029
France
2/11/2021  4:32 AM
Honestly I'm not that convinced by Rose so far. I didn't really like the Toppin pick, according to some rumors he was interested in signing players I'm wary about (G Hayward, Bertrans), the trade for Rose doesn't make sense.
He did manage to hire good basketball minds but I'm afraid he will go all in sooner than we should.
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
2/11/2021  9:54 AM
Yeah, I'd hate to have a starting small forward like Hayward shooting 42% from 3. Alot to be wary about there.

And watching DSJ's Gleague highlights would have made much more sense than having a proven scoring PG come off the bench in real games. And it made no sense to give up a 2nd rounder in the 40's.

Don't cry over tanking dreams. It will ruin your health.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
2/11/2021  10:31 AM
IMO We have to make the Playoffs, Once we do that I feel the missing pieces will come.

Not surprised by the decent start, I felt the coaching staff and FO were all on the same page so i knew we would get the draft right, I knew thibs would have these dudes defending and hustling and playing scrappy.

The biggest surprise for me was not being able to land at least one significant piece in FA, either CP, FVV, Haywood, Woods

ES
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

2/11/2021  10:38 AM
knicks1248 wrote:IMO We have to make the Playoffs, Once we do that I feel the missing pieces will come.

Not surprised by the decent start, I felt the coaching staff and FO were all on the same page so i knew we would get the draft right, I knew thibs would have these dudes defending and hustling and playing scrappy.

The biggest surprise for me was not being able to land at least one significant piece in FA, either CP, FVV, Haywood, Woods

Shouldn't have come as a surprise. CP, Wood and FVV either went to or stayed at situations that looked far better at the time. Hayward got the surprise bag, but the Knicks were still fighting till the end. I'm sure free agents will look at the team more favorably now. But any meaningful moves will probably have to come through trade, because this free agency class is looking suspect.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Jimbo5
Member: #8854

2/11/2021  11:33 AM
BigDaddyG wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:IMO We have to make the Playoffs, Once we do that I feel the missing pieces will come.

Shouldn't have come as a surprise. CP, Wood and FVV either went to or stayed at situations that looked far better at the time. Hayward got the surprise bag, but the Knicks were still fighting till the end. I'm sure free agents will look at the team more favorably now. But any meaningful moves will probably have to come through trade, because this free agency class is looking suspect.

With all the bad things that happened to the knicks year in and year out, I understand the hesitation of the top free agents last off season. New management has come to the knicks each year and the results were all the same... dysfunctionaly bad. Free agents first would need to see that the front office is better, the coaching staff is better and see an actual plan materializing. The previous FO's are all sweet talk with not much good results to back up what they said. Even if the knicks fall short of the playoffs I would be surprised if the top free agents wont look at the knicks as an option.

With that said, I would have to give Rose credit on how he handled the free agency. Of coarse teams want Hayward, the knicks included. The previous Front office for sure would top Charlotte's offer in a heartbeat. Rose and Perrin knows their limits.But they still need to take a swing at it. Thankfully they know what it means to operate "within limits". So far i have seen a noticable improvement on this team with less than a year under rose, i cant wait to see what the finish product will be.

I dont mind shifting gears and going win now mode as long as they identify their young core, develop them and build around them. So far they are practicing that. That is why im not a fan of going all in with Beal, i dont want to part with any of the team's young core.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/11/2021  12:01 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:

Its terrible. Look at the players available and who do you want to throw money at?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30403388/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2021-2022

If we are not sorted at PG next year offering Conley/Lowry 2 years $50mm is the only thing that makes sense and if someone emerges we can always trade one of those guys as they would have good value. There isnt a single guy there I would throw a 4 year deal at

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG

2/11/2021  12:08 PM
Jimbo5 wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

With all the bad things that happened to the knicks year in and year out, I understand the hesitation of the top free agents last off season. New management has come to the knicks each year and the results were all the same... dysfunctionaly bad. Free agents first would need to see that the front office is better, the coaching staff is better and see an actual plan materializing. The previous FO's are all sweet talk with not much good results to back up what they said. Even if the knicks fall short of the playoffs I would be surprised if the top free agents wont look at the knicks as an option.

With that said, I would have to give Rose credit on how he handled the free agency. Of coarse teams want Hayward, the knicks included. The previous Front office for sure would top Charlotte's offer in a heartbeat. Rose and Perrin knows their limits.But they still need to take a swing at it. Thankfully they know what it means to operate "within limits". So far i have seen a noticable improvement on this team with less than a year under rose, i cant wait to see what the finish product will be.

I dont mind shifting gears and going win now mode as long as they identify their young core, develop them and build around them. So far they are practicing that. That is why im not a fan of going all in with Beal, i dont want to part with any of the team's young core

I wonder if Beal will crack and request a trade. He's a top tier and a class guy. But have to be worried that he hasn't been able to impose will and make the Wizards halfway decent. I'm a little gun-shy and would stay away. Don't see RJ being enough of sweetener. They're going to demand it all.
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BigDaddyG

2/11/2021  12:11 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Its terrible. Look at the players available and who do you want to throw money at?

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/30403388/nba-free-agents-team-team-lists-2021-2022

If we are not sorted at PG next year offering Conley/Lowry 2 years $50mm is the only thing that makes sense and if someone emerges we can always trade one of those guys as they would have good value. There isnt a single guy there I would throw a 4 year deal at

Seeing Jeff Teague's name has me nervous. I mean Thibs wouldn't, would he
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
2/11/2021  12:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

Seeing Jeff Teague's name has me nervous. I mean Thibs wouldn't, would he

FO would be like, you got your one PG in Rose

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
martin
USA
2/11/2021  12:37 PM
Jimbo5 wrote:Right after the Knicks traded Porzingis I thought they are destined to be bad for the next decade. The moves that Steve Mills did was frustrating to watch, its like his tenure was always in the neutral gear. The only good thing he did was maintaining Cap flexibility. I cant even credit him totally for Randle's emergance. Well maybe drafting RJ, atleast when the knicks missed out on Zion and Ja he didn't get cute and draft someone unexpected.

Surprisingly, Rose has been smart, calculated and patient. The personnel he put in place from the people he surrounded himself in the front office to the coaching staff is very good. In just one offseason atleast we can see a positive direction. The team is now starting to establish an identity and the rest of the NBA is starting to notice it. Now the Knicks have a young core of players that can compete with other young teams like the Hawks, Memphis and the Bulls.

It seems like Rose might be ready make that big move to cash in on the young talent and draft capital they have accumulated. If Rose can make that move and still able to leave the young team of Mitch, Randle, Obi, Rj and Quickley intact and still have enough draft picks to fortify the bench i will give Rose a grade of A if that happens but as of now im happy with the direction this team is heading.

I'm giving the FO an A as well so far. I think the only thing you may be able to ding them on is the Obi selection but that has plenty of time to pan out. Feel like the FO is super solid and so is the coaching staff and what we are seeing from game to game has proven that out.

Next year's free agent class is THIN and it's too bad the timing of when high end players come available is not until FA class of 2022. It'll be interesting to me how Leon and team handle the 2021 draft picks and any possible trade for any player that comes to market.

jskinny35
Member: #928
USA
2/11/2021  12:54 PM
Agree - they've certainly done better so far and time will tell on Obi.
BigDaddyG

2/11/2021  1:18 PM
Hollinger and Nate Duncan just did a "Futures" podcast and ranked the Knicks in the bottom 6. Even still, they acknowledged the Knicks had a reasonable argument for being in the next tier up. They just couldn't let go off the lol Knicks rep developed from the past two decades.
martin
USA
2/11/2021  1:24 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:Hollinger and Nate Duncan just did a "Futures" podcast and ranked the Knicks in the bottom 6. Even still, they acknowledged the Knicks had a reasonable argument for being in the next tier up. They just couldn't let go off the lol Knicks rep developed from the past two decades.

It's cool, Knicks currently rank them in the bottom 2 of being able to assess teams

TPercy
Member: #5748

2/11/2021  1:58 PM
fishmike wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:

If we are not sorted at PG next year offering Conley/Lowry 2 years $50mm is the only thing that makes senseand if someone emerges we can always trade one of those guys as they would have good value. There isnt a single guy there I would throw a 4 year deal at

This is where I’m at as well. I’ve seen reports that Raptors will be moving on from Lowry so I think we just got to give him a bloated short term deal.

The Future is Bright!
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
2/11/2021  2:01 PM
Haywood was cool, but not at that price. Leon shows restraint.
Why get woods when Randle is a better player? Reliable, Predicatable. Not a head case.
Thibs is coaching Randle excellently.
Obi after 26 games is not a bust. Maybe three more years make a determination?
This season is going very well in my opinion.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
2/11/2021  2:15 PM
martin wrote:
BigDaddyG wrote:Hollinger and Nate Duncan just did a "Futures" podcast and ranked the Knicks in the bottom 6. Even still, they acknowledged the Knicks had a reasonable argument for being in the next tier up. They just couldn't let go off the lol Knicks rep developed from the past two decades.

It's cool, Knicks currently rank them in the bottom 2 of being able to assess teams

Hollinger will ALWAYS be the guy who changed his mock drafts to look better after the fact. That being said its not THAT unfair. I mean who are the Knick future stars? IQ/RJ/Mitch look like promising players but we are basically below average talent wise (with rest of league) and we have some additional draft capital but nothing that says wow look out for the Knicks.

We are still waiting to draft a star, trade for one or sign one.

Hindsight is always 20/20 but man we should have maxed out Hayward last offseason. That would have been a good start but I certainly understand why they didnt at the time.

How much longer until Booker demands a trade here?

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
Member: #724
2/11/2021  2:27 PM
I think right now it’s more encouraging than anything we have witnessed in 20 years.

Thibs, Woodson, Payne and development coaches was the right move.

They maneuvered up to get Quickly which was a huge win.

The signed tradeable veterans in Burks, Noel and Rivers who fit needs. Let’s see what they turn them into.

I don’t love Derek Rose, but we gave up a late second rounder and a guy whose out of the league shortly.

The only real mistake is passing on Halliburton for a guy that can’t be effective without a real pg.

The team has been respectable and competitive which is a big win. Chritian Wood at 13MM would have been a big win, they could have traded Mitch to the Suns for their pick and added Halliburton perhaps.

But all and all a good start.

I would prefer to miss the playoffs this year so we have two lottery picks and more ping pong balls for a star.

I’m sure Conley or Lowry would take a one year deal at $35MM in the offseason. The team appears to be in very good shape.

wargames
Member: #6053

2/11/2021  2:30 PM
I think Rose will be the equivalent of Jared Jeffries after he came back the second time. An appreciate member of the team who does more than we expected
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
The State of the Knicks so far under the Leon Rose Era

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy