[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

More excite about Ariza than I am Crawford.
Author Thread
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
10/30/2004  1:54 AM
Posted by fishmike:
but gerald did not have the handles and passing ability that ariza has
I loved GWilk... really did. Him and the Xman were two of my favorites of that era.

Your right... Ariza isnt just another Gerald Wallace. He's got some bonafide skills and hes TOUGH. I am 100% convinced we should use our own MLE next season to either lock up his Bird rights or sign him long term. Imagine when his jumper is more consistant and he puts on 10-15 pounds? Anyone seen Shawn Marion play?

yea gerald wallace is just a athletic kid, he really has no real skill set, this is what I like about ariza, he already has a nice handle, and good passing abilities, his BB Iq seems to be very high, If you look at him shoot FT's he has a nice smooth stroke, even hit a nice jumper the other night, I think his jumper will come, it will just take time for him to develop and that will come with age and maturity, but i agree, we need to lock his azz up quick...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
AUTOADVERT
tkf
Member: #87
10/30/2004  1:59 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/players/365/career

people tend to forget how good players were after not seeing them for a long time. If Trevor Ariza can put up ANYTHINg close to what gerald did, I would personally be surprised. remember Wilkins had elite type athletiscm like his brother and was solidly built. Check out his FG% for his first 10 years. If this guy played 40 minutes, you'd be looking at close to superstar numbers.
briggs I somewhat dissagree, and believe me I was a huge gerald Wilkins fan from day one, but he did not have elite athleticism, he was a fantastic athlete but gerald was a better leaper off the run(1 foot leaper) and didn't have that great body control like his brother nique did. Now ariza from what I have seen can rise off either 1 foot or the two feet hop like nique did. he has nice body control in the air and runs like a greyhound, wilking was quick and could finish, but ariza from what I have seen is just a different type of athlete....
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Rich
Member: #511
USA
10/30/2004  2:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/31345.htm

STEPH AN ARIZA FAN

By MARC BERMAN

October 30, 2004 -- Isiah Thomas' claim to fame as Knick president has been bringing Stephon Marbury to the team. But even Marbury admits Thomas outdid himself in his first Knick draft, when he selected preseason sensation Trevor Ariza with the 43rd pick of the second round.

In the grandest rave yet on the former UCLA product, Marbury said Ariza should've been a high lottery pick, top five, saying he's every bit as talented as Dwight Howard and Ema Okafor.

Calling him the "biggest surprise" of the preseason that ended Thursday night, Marbury said, "I think teams now, they're picking kids from overseas, they're not picking kids who really know how to play basketball. I'm not happy for him as far as the money standpoint. But as far as us getting a guy like that, it's a steal. He's definitely a 1-to-5 pick. And I've seen Okafor and I've seen the other kid [Howard] play. And he's right up there with those guys."

The 6-8 Ariza, 19, is exactly the type of athletic swingman with whom Marbury loves to play. Ariza constantly gets out first on the fastbreak with his long strides, burns to the hoop at will, occasionally for power dunks and gets to the free-throw line often. He also gobbles up rebounds on both ends and has a knack for interceptions.

Veteran Tracy Murray, also a UCLA product and close observer of the Westwood program, said Ariza was misused by coach Ben Howland in his lone season as a Bruin. Murray, who was cut Thursday, told The Post, "I'm not knocking coach Howland, but I think his system held Trevor back. It was very structured."

Ariza gently acknowledged UCLA's system wasn't for him.

"Coach Howland did what he thought would help the team," Ariza said. "Here, we get up and down a lot. I just fit into the flow of this. The system that coach Howland played, it was a good system. It's worked. I don't think it fit certain player's games. But he won with it in his previous years."

Last season, UCLA was horrible and Ariza bolted, though he somehow slipped out of the first round, costing him major dough. A high lottery pick is slated to make close to $2M per season. Second-rounders play for the rookie minimum of $450,000.

Despite a nice summer league, Ariza was still viewed as no guarantee to make the active 12-man roster. Now he's got a firm spot on the rotation and could get 15 to 20 minutes a night. He averaged 9.8 points and 5.1 rebounds in 24 minutes, including 2.38 steals.

"Trevor is like, every day he's getting so much better," Marbury said.

"The thing that's so impressive about him, every day he works with the [coaches] to get better."

Despite attempts elsewhere to make injured list/buyout candidate Shandon Anderson into a martyr, Ariza has so badly outplayed him, it's been embarrassing.

"I was really happy," Lenny Wilkens said. "I think Trevor made his presence known in preseason. He really gave us energy."

Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/30/2004  8:02 AM
I'm glad to hear this endorsement from Trevor. Steph can play a key role in keeping Ariza here when he's an FA. Remember that Steph became close friends with Barbosa and bought him a Mercedes?
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/30/2004  11:31 AM
Steph was also a big reason Stoudemire wanted to go to the Suns & Sheed had a lot of interest coming to NY. Thats another thing that wasn't valued when some fans growled at the Marbury trade.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
More excite about Ariza than I am Crawford.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy