[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

How over-rated is shaq
Author Thread
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/29/2004  2:26 PM
Yeah is the biggest guy in the league, and the most dominate.

But when you look at the likes of what Ewing, Robbinson, Hakim, ZO, Parish, Mchale, and a lot of other great Centers had to deal with. The one thing they all have in common, they all played against equal talant.

Now in the shaq ERA he has NOT ONE player at his postion who's even half as good as him, which contributes to his dominance.
Every single postion in the league ( other then the Center positon) can be be a very comptetive match up. But what match up does Shaq have, he's dealing with ( what would be consider a few years ago) second string players, as starters. Yoa ming is basically his only challange as far as one-on-one match ups, and he out played shaq 3 out of 4 games last season.

Shag came into this league when most of the best centers, were either in there prime, or on the decline, and he really didn't domiante as much, if at all.

Now he's been traded to the East and everybobdy is penciling in the heat as a sure thing, despite being ridiculosly thin at every postion.

To me this as got to be a factor when you speak about how great shaq really is.

Jordan is a great great player, but just imagine if, Shandon anderson was his best compition.
ES
AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/29/2004  2:29 PM
I get your point, but it's not Shaq's fault that he plays in an era with few quality centers. That's why it's difficult to compare players who played in different decades. I think Shaq has to be considered a great player.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/29/2004  2:46 PM
I'm hoping he lives up to all the hype...he's on my fantasy team .
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/29/2004  2:52 PM
Right now he is a little over-rated. Still no one can guard him or make him work enough on offense to make him sweat. Right now that is......

Shaq played with Ewing and Hakeem in his first few season....

Shaq and Ewing used to destroy each other. Remember the who's the man debate? They used to go at it when Ewing was healthy.

Hakeem Owned Shaq. Shaq was young and Hakeem was at the top of his game. Hakeem used to do what he wanted against Shaq and wasn't intimidated by his power.

Zo and Shaq always had good battles.

The only elite center Shaq truly used to dominate was David Robinson.

Against those guys when Shaq was in Orlando Shaq wasn't as punishing. He still was dominant it's just there were guys out there that were just as punnishing as he was.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
crzymdups
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #671
USA
10/29/2004  2:56 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

Yeah is the biggest guy in the league, and the most dominate.

But when you look at the likes of what Ewing, Robbinson, Hakim, ZO, Parish, Mchale, and a lot of other great Centers had to deal with. The one thing they all have in common, they all played against equal talant.

Now in the shaq ERA he has NOT ONE player at his postion who's even half as good as him, which contributes to his dominance.
Every single postion in the league ( other then the Center positon) can be be a very comptetive match up. But what match up does Shaq have, he's dealing with ( what would be consider a few years ago) second string players, as starters. Yoa ming is basically his only challange as far as one-on-one match ups, and he out played shaq 3 out of 4 games last season.

Shag came into this league when most of the best centers, were either in there prime, or on the decline, and he really didn't domiante as much, if at all.

Now he's been traded to the East and everybobdy is penciling in the heat as a sure thing, despite being ridiculosly thin at every postion.

To me this as got to be a factor when you speak about how great shaq really is.

Jordan is a great great player, but just imagine if, Shandon anderson was his best compition.

sooooo....the fact that Shaq is better than everyone makes him not as good as players who aren't as good because those players have to play against comparable players and Shaq doesn't? Huh?

Look, Shaq is the most dominant big man ever. Why do you think KG and Duncan run from the center and pretend to be power forwards? All sorts of people who have seen Shaq and Wilt play say Shaq is bigger, quicker and better. Give Shaq some credit. He doesn't have to play again anyone as good as him, because he's the best big. He does have to put up with lesser players hacking the crap out of him all night.
¿ △ ?
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/29/2004  2:58 PM
I miss Ewing.....

He used to rely too much on the jumpshot but dude was awesome. I felt his pain though. That finger roll, Chares Smith, the fact he was hurt both times his teams went to the NBA Finals.....what can you do? I guess it wasn't meant to be.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
turtle33
Member: #537
Canada
10/29/2004  4:17 PM
Look, Shaq is the most dominant big man ever

OMG..........i cant believe i'm reading this.

when shaq can average 50 and 25 for a season, i will call him the most dominant big man ever.

please.............have a read

http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamberlain_stats.html
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
10/29/2004  4:22 PM
Posted by turtle33:
Look, Shaq is the most dominant big man ever

OMG..........i cant believe i'm reading this.

when shaq can average 50 and 25 for a season, i will call him the most dominant big man ever.

please.............have a read

http://www.nba.com/history/players/chamberlain_stats.html

i understand your argument, and I respect those veterans, but IMHO I think Shaq could've averaged those numbers if not more during those days as well. The league is bigger, faster, and stronger now. Just maybe not smarter.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
MS
Member: #724
10/29/2004  4:28 PM
5 NBA Finals thats not overatted
MS
Member: #724
10/29/2004  4:30 PM
And you are comparing talent levels wilt is not putting up those numbers in todays nba. period. Shaq could have put up those numbers if he had too, back then.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/29/2004  4:56 PM
it's never fair to compare players of yesterday to players of today & project how they would have played in each respective era...Wilt dominated his era alot more definitively than Shaq has dominated his...period...that means you can't say Shaq has been the most dominant bigman ever...he hasn't been.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/29/2004  5:06 PM
yea... and when Shaq came into the league Ewing WAS in his prime.. and a funy thing happened. The Knicks stopped owning the Atlantic every year. I remember Shaq used to kill Pat.

The closest thing to the physical mismatch that Shaq creates was probably Wilt.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/29/2004  5:14 PM
Posted by crzymdups:

Look, Shaq is the most dominant big man ever. Why do you think KG and Duncan run from the center and pretend to be power forwards? All sorts of people who have seen Shaq and Wilt play say Shaq is bigger, quicker and better. Give Shaq some credit. He doesn't have to play again anyone as good as him, because he's the best big. He does have to put up with lesser players hacking the crap out of him all night.

I can weigh in here. I saw Wilt lots of times. IMO Shaq is bigger, but not quicker or better. I rate the top 3 centers to have ever played the game in this order: #1: Bill Russell; #2: Wilt Chamberlain; #3: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. Shaq is a great great center,. I have him in the 2nd tier of great centers behind the Big 3, in the company of Nate Thurmond, Moses Malone, Wes Unseld, Dave Cowens, Hakeem, Ewing, Robinson, Mikan, Sikma and a few others.

Now I admit to this: I think everybody gets swayed by who their heros were in their youth - it's hard to be objective about the impact that people make on you when you're young. I grew up outside Boston, and in the 60's I used to go to Boston Garden regularly . On weedkends they had NBA doubleheaders there. For dirt cheap too. I used to see Wilt, Russell, Baylor, Chamberlain, Havlicek, West, Robertson, Barry, Sam Jones, Billy Cunningham, etc. ALl the "old-time greats." And I totally revered them. As you guys all know, for those of us who got the basketball jones young, it cut deep into our souls and never went away. And you gotta understand at that time the NBA was considered a minor level sports in America, WAY below baseball, pro and college football, college basketball, even hockey! They wouldn't even show the NBA finals live! Anyway, I'm going into this to admit that I'm prejudiced becaused of what struck me in my youth. But I'd be interested in hearing from a few other of the older cats to see if they feel the same. As great as Shaq is, he's not as great as the 3 I mentioned.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/29/2004  5:21 PM
The reason I say Shaq is more dominant than Wilt or Russell is precisely because some people say Wilt was more dominant because of his numbers and some people say Russell was more dominant because of his defense, his ability to beat Wilt and his titles. The very argument over Wilt or Russell being better means that neither was dominant over the other. With Shaq, there is no argument. He is the most dominant player in the entire leage. No one owns him, the most talented players of our generation do everything to NO have to face him, whether its running to a different conference or running to the power forward when they are clearly centers (Hi, KG! Hi, Duncan!).

Shaq is the most dominant ever. I never said he was the greatest ever. There's a difference.

[Edited by - crzymdups on 10/29/2004 17:22:02]

[Edited by - crzymdups on 10/29/2004 17:22:40]
¿ △ ?
purple012870
Member: #432
10/29/2004  5:28 PM
Shaq gets almost disrespected because of his size (you often hear "oh, he's just bigger than anybody else, that's why...".

Well, for one, that's like saying "Carl Lewis, oh, he was just faster than everybody else, that's why he won all those gold medals".

Also, outside of Hakeem, Shaq has the best footwork of any Center I've ever seen. He is as quick off the floor as anybody, often dunking before the (inevitable) triple team can react.

I think he would have owned Wilt because Wilt was as weak as Patrick Ewing when it came to pressure or response to being challenged. He cowered in '69 when the Captain came out of the tunnel, he backed down from 6'10" 230 lb Bill Russell consistently.

As far as Russell was concerned, can you imagine him giving 100 lbs to Shaq. I can't. He'd need held just like every team in the league needs to collapse their D on Shaq. Russell was a great winner. Russell today would have a fraction of the success he had then. He had zero offensive game. His skills compare to a slightly thicker Marcus Camby.
Bobby
Member: #408
USA
10/30/2004  5:03 PM
i agree with purple on shaq and his footwork. but shaq could not contest the "dream shake"...period. I have never seen a center that can move like the dream. getting back to shaq, in all fairness, phil jackson/tex winter refined diesel's game to what you have witnessed. when you talk of dominance, no other sport celebrity can claim the fame on world wide recognition like the diesel can
"Like they always say, New York is the Mecca of basketball,"I read that in Michael Jordan books my whole life and I played here in the Big East tournament, so it's always fun to play in the Mecca of basketball."---Rip Hamilton
knicks1248
Member: #582
11/1/2004  2:54 PM
KG and Duncun are not Centers, they don't even play like centers, the games are way to fineses to be lagiitmate Centers. Ewing and Hakim Never played the 4 yet there games had just as much finese ( maybe not as much as KG) as any PF.

Most PFs are a lot quicker then Centers, and most centers are a lot stronger the PFs, so when your thinking KG and duncun are pretending to be PFs remember that. Thats not saying they won't be able to play the Center position for stretches at a time, but lets be realistic. They can do that only because of the quality of centers in the league.

If this was the early 90s or prior, duncun and KG would hardly ever play the center.

Shaq is very fortunate to play in such an era were his closes competitor ( outside of ming and brad miller) is averaging 11pts and 8rbs, while he averages 25 and 12.

Just think, when kareem got traded to the west, nobody said the west was in trouble, and the lakers would simple dominate. Yet kareem was probably the most skillfull center to ever play the game, and mastered a shot that only one person blocked in his entie career.
ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2004  3:28 PM
Shaq has outplayed lots of guys the last 10 years. Ewing, Mourning, Hakim, Flying Dutchman, Mutumbo, were all in their prime. These are top 50 players.

I'd only put him with Wilt and Kareem on offense, on D bill russell had no peer. Funny, the only player like bill was actually Rodman in terms of rebounding and running the floor. Rodman did not block shots as he was shorter, and the players are much bigger in his day than in russells. Just from an athletic stand point.

THis year we get to see how good he can really pass. Bill Walton was the best at that.

Today, we have seven foot PFs like Timmy, KG, and a guy like Karl Malone whom would have played center in a different era. Hakim if he had more polish likely would have been a Power forward if he came up today. Jack Sikma at 6'10 would have also been a forward.

Shaq is so much above the current generation (and for the last 10 years) I would not put him as too over rated.

If Shaq played back then in the 1970's, he would have dominated even more.
jazz74
Member: #371
11/1/2004  10:57 PM
actually, i thought for the first three years it was back and forth with patrick and shaq. shaq destroyed ewing in the paint but ewing was smart enough to draw shaq out of the paint with his jumpshots. with the number game, they were about even for awhile. usually it was'nt shaq who was a pain in our ass. it was penny. i agree that shaq's footwork is unbelievable and he is really quick. but he can be complacent and not give his all. work ethic is questionable and it seems like he is just taking advantage of the weak centers in the league. he is a physical specimen. remember that he was stronger than hakeem but hakeem always outmanuevered or outsmart him. i think the center in the past would have done the same think, especially russell. he had an unbelievable basketball i.q. and would have found ways to deal with shaq. dominate ever? probably not. but if he continues to post good numbers for three years you may have to make an argument for it.
How over-rated is shaq

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy