SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
10/29/2004  5:52 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/32938.htm

ISIAH'S CODE TAILOR MADE

By MARC BERMAN

PHOTO THE TIE THAT BINDS:Isiah Thomes, who instituted a new dress code, wants the knicks to have a closer bond with the city. NY POST: Charles Wenzelberg

October 29, 2004 -- Isiah Thomas has installed stricter dress codes for players, practice uniforms for coaches and has even changed the way the players stand during the national anthem.

"Two things taught to me: You play as you live, and [if] you dress sloppy, you play sloppy" Thomas told The Post before last night's 89-83 preseason finale win over the Jazz at the Garden. "The little things make the difference between success and failure."

In the latest behind-the-scenes move, the Knicks president has decreed all morning shootarounds on game days be staged at the Garden instead of the club's Westchester campus.

The break from tradition is more than just Thomas' desire to achieve a stronger homecourt advantage. He also wants the players to know the city better. Only three live in Manhattan: Penny Hardaway, Kurt Thomas and Tim Thomas. The Westchester residents are afforded hotel rooms during the day with a chance to explore Manhattan.

Thomas said he has encouraged them to ride the subway, walk around and try out restaurants to get a feel for the hustle and bustle of the world's greatest city.

"We got to make a connection to the city," Thomas said. "We've got to give the team back to the city."

Thomas, hired on Dec. 23, didn't understand New York until summer when he rode the subway.

"What makes this city so special, no matter who you are, when you're on the train, the guy next to you could be making $5 million or $15,000 or be homeless. But everyone's on the same train. . . . That's finally when I really got what this city is really about. Money doesn't matter. . . . Our players need to feel and see that."

Thomas also was concerned about the Knicks' unspectacular 23-18 home record last season and has the full support of coach Lenny Wilkens for Garden shootarounds. The Knicks will still practice in Westchester.

"We have to reestablish homecourt advantage," Thomas said. "We lost a lot of games at home last year. I thought with so many new players, they weren't familiar with the building."

Last season, Thomas mandated jackets and ties be worn to games. This season, Thomas went further, requiring jackets and ties on all charter flights, even if leaving from the practice facility.

"Everytime we get off a plane or bus, we represent New York," Thomas added. "Even if you're checking into a hotel late at night, the people at the front desk, they see the Knicks walk in. We can't walk in looking like a bunch of guys wearing sweatclothes. When you're on Knick time, you're working."

It's a far cry from the old regime. Former GM Scott Layden attended practice in shorts and slippers. Thomas watched Tuesday's Nets-Knicks match on TV and the clip of Moochie Norris and Penny Hardaway leaving the bus in suits and ties made the team president feel good.

"If a 10-year-old is watching Hardaway and Marbury dressed in a suit and tie, it's a powerful message to them," Thomas said.

As for his recent lecture on not chewing gum or slouching during the National Anthem, Thomas said: "You've got people fighting for the freedom of our country because of some of the things that happened in our city. I want the players to understand how important it is to play in New York."
AUTOADVERT
SKY
Member: #687
USA
10/29/2004  6:03 AM
I liked the bit about Isiah suggesting players to get to know NYC and the people. I dig the anthem & dress code issue as well. (I hate it when athletes don't pay any attention to the anthem... they make millions playing ball, while millions of soldiers and cops on pathetic pay are serving the counrty... RESPECT!)

These things don't necesarily translate into more wins, but I think it's cool that Isiah is trying to make the Knicks more of a class organization ala the Yankees.

What do you think?
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/29/2004  8:00 AM
Isiah is a winner and he is using the right philosophy. Dress code should be standard around the league, and Knicks are doing what is right. Little things like moving game day shoot-around to the Garden are recipe to championship.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/29/2004  9:05 AM
I have long said that NBA players need to act professional off the court. Its about preparation and self esteem. When you put forth the effort in all aspects of you life, you hold yourself to a higher standard.

good for Isiah in what he is doing.

The connection with the city is important. These guys are isolating themselves in westchester, which is not the "CITY".

Isiah is creating substance behind his words. He is also installing an environment that establish's values of team, and the unique thing we call NYC. Checketts and co. had to have Westchester to attract (baseball players especially don't like the city" a suburban retreat for families. Isiah is "taken it to the streets" and makin the team blend witht he city. People will buzz how they rode the triain with Miss Gazy! Dudes can brag how they chased Shandon from the train!

My mom told me a story how she walked down 2nd ave for 5 blocks with Clyde and talked with him. He had his car parked and drove off when he got to it. Now these guys are limoed out and very private. I know the times have changed. I remember Jerry Grote of the mets was a neighbor of mine when he was younger. I was like 5, but we rang his doorbell once and he came out, signed some cards and gave us some mets stuff. this was in an apartment in whitestone! we thought he was the greatest! we also knew he was also a regular dude with a wife and baby!

Isiah is on the right track, some of these guys will realize that they are playing for the city also!
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/29/2004  10:26 AM
It's all about respecting the game. I'm all for it.

Basketball is the worlds greatest team sport. You gotta respect the game.

Show pride and dedication. Wearing a suit, though I hate them especially the fact that you ususally have to wear a tie, would make them come into the game focused. If you are just coming in your regular gear you will look at coming to games as just a regular thing.

Good idea, IMHO.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/29/2004  11:28 AM
yes GREAT idea! the part about you play as well as you dress is so true. If you're dressing like you don't care then you problably don't care about the aspects of playing winning basketball. And I like that he wants them to get to know the city and the people. It's a welcomed changed. Celebrities and athletes are too self-fish now and days. it's time they give back to the people who put money in their wallets.
reggiej
Member: #218
10/29/2004  1:03 PM
I think that is excellent idea. There should definitely be more of a connection between the city and the team. Having a practice facility out in Westchester may be selling point for some free agents but there should be some connection to "regular folks" on some level. Who knows maybe they all need to ride the subway at least once. I only regret is that they didn't do this during the Ewing era. Perhaps it would have allowed him to open up a little more.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/29/2004  1:05 PM
He should also think about picking out some suits for some of these guys, most of them can't come close to the way IT presents himself, and some of the suits he wear's.

Spree, oakly, walt and allan are the worst dress knickokbockers when it comes to wearing suites, the god awful colors, and patterns. WOW! It might be better to keep guys like them in Bill cosby Sweaters or find them New tailors.
ES
From NY Post on Knicks' new dress code

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy