[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

The difference between Van Gundy and Chaney
Author Thread
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #192
1/24/2002  9:09 AM
I watched last nite's game vs toronto. I guess I was more impressed with their defenses than the win itself. They also moved the ball around and hit high percentage shots. And the most important thing was: they played with focus.

The difference between Van Gundy and Chaney is that Jeff can get this team to play like this for 60% of the games while Don can probably get 20%. Even they play like this everyday, I think this team can win a lot of games, but they will still fail (for most of the times) to elite teams. I'm against rushing into trades, but I think we should make changes to get prepared for the next season and after.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/24/2002  12:11 PM
I think a lot of folks had gotten tired of Van Gundy's offensive style (or maybe the lack of offensive creativity) and were probably tired of his constant pessimism. But the guy could coach defense and motivate his players more often than not; his record speaks for itself.

And remember, of the first 19 games that he coached this year, 14 were without Camby.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Caseloads
Member: #41
1/24/2002  9:58 PM
Posted by martin:

I think a lot of folks had gotten tired of Van Gundy's offensive style (or maybe the lack of offensive creativity) and were probably tired of his constant pessimism. But the guy could coach defense and motivate his players more often than not; his record speaks for itself.

And remember, of the first 19 games that he coached this year, 14 were without Camby.
Van Gundy was a realist.

He said a healthy Marcus Camby is our best player - this is true.
He said NYK couldn't win without tough D, this is true.

See - the man told the truth.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
1/25/2002  6:07 AM
Let's not make a martyr out of the guy. There is no denying his coaching ability, but I'll take a bad coach over a quitter six days a week-- and twice on Sunday. Considering the way many Knicks fans, myself included, felt about VanGundy, you would have thought he would have done us the honor of finishing out the season instead of behaving in the same unprofessional manner for which he villified his stars... I may be reopening old wounds, but Chaney seems to believe in this team in ways that Van obviously did not-- sometimes he seems to be the only person who has anything promising to say about the team's potential.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
Knickerbocker
Member: #195
USA
1/25/2002  9:55 AM
Posted by TRU:

Let's not make a martyr out of the guy. There is no denying his coaching ability, but I'll take a bad coach over a quitter six days a week-- and twice on Sunday. Considering the way many Knicks fans, myself included, felt about VanGundy, you would have thought he would have done us the honor of finishing out the season instead of behaving in the same unprofessional manner for which he villified his stars... I may be reopening old wounds, but Chaney seems to believe in this team in ways that Van obviously did not-- sometimes he seems to be the only person who has anything promising to say about the team's potential.

I agree with you, Van Gundy abandoned ship when he should have at least finished off the season.
Caseloads
Member: #41
1/25/2002  11:18 AM
Posted by Knickerbocker:
Posted by TRU:

I agree with you, Van Gundy abandoned ship when he should have at least finished off the season.
It was just him being a realist. Why stay if the players wont play?
martin
USA
1/25/2002  12:41 PM
Posted by TRU:

I guess there is something to say about quitting on your team, but look at the other side: by leaving VG gives his assistants a shot at coaching in the NBA. He also gives the team plenty of time to find a replacement. I think that is better than staying a whole year knowing that you don't want to be there and not performing your best.
TRU
Member: #196
USA
1/25/2002  3:08 PM
Since when did we give a damn about assitant coaches? Van Gundy, as an adult, as a man made rich by the franchise by which he was employed, as a New Yorker had a responsibility to finish the job for which he was contracted-- end of discussion. He tendered his resignation less than one quarter of the way into the season-- betraying the fact that he must have considered not returning to coach the 2001-2002 at all. The team's situation was obvious to any observer during the off season, and yet he took up the challenge well aware that the lottery loomed. Indeed, he should have played out the 82, or never have began the season in the first place. How often do we see mid season coaching resignations in ANY major sport? It is a seldom occurance because most respect their commitments more than Van did.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
martin
USA
1/25/2002  3:20 PM
Posted by TRU:

Since when did we give a damn about assitant coaches? Van Gundy, as an adult, as a man made rich by the franchise by which he was employed, as a New Yorker had a responsibility to finish the job for which he was contracted-- end of discussion. He tendered his resignation less than one quarter of the way into the season-- betraying the fact that he must have considered not returning to coach the 2001-2002 at all. The team's situation was obvious to any observer during the off season, and yet he took up the challenge well aware that the lottery loomed. Indeed, he should have played out the 82, or never have began the season in the first place. How often do we see mid season coaching resignations in ANY major sport? It is a seldom occurance because most respect their commitments more than Van did.

I think it was well documented that VG approached management about quiting during the summer. They convinced him to stay.
The difference between Van Gundy and Chaney

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy