[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Anderson likely to be bought out (Disclaimer: Marc Berman article)
Author Thread
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/27/2004  3:51 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/32806.htm

ANDERSON'S LIKELY TO BE BOUGHT OUT

By MARC BERMAN

October 27, 2004 -- Preliminary buyout talks have begun between the Knicks and Shandon Anderson's reps, according to a source.

Anderson received his fourth DNP in seven preseason games last night in the Knicks' 86-79 victory over the Nets.

"To get away from this situation, that's what I want," Anderson said. "Make a move. They're telling me whatever what I do, I'm not going to play."

Anderson, however, said he is unaware if anything is close to being done.

If the Knicks waive Anderson to bring the roster down to a maximum 15, the Knicks could keep the rest of the roster, including outside-shooting veteran Tracy Murray, a longshot when invited to camp.

However, Murray is shooting just 19 percent. The Knicks also are scouring the waiver wire for other shooters potentially being cut. Deadline to reduce rosters to 15 is Monday, so Anderson's buyout would have to be completed by then.

Isiah Thomas had said earlier in camp an Anderson buyout "was not an option," but it's clear he wouldn't have made the active roster. In the fourth quarter, fans behind the Knick bench were yelling for Lenny Wilkens to put in Anderson. In the final seconds, those fans chanted "Shan-don."

Anderson cracked afterward, "Better get some old tape to see my butt play."

If the buyout occurs, the Rockets and Miami could be interested in signing Anderson for the minimum.

"I know I struggled preseason, but it happens sometimes," Murray said. "But hopefully I have more to offer than just playing around here."

Anderson has been an irrelevant piece here since last season ended. He shot 7 of 27 in the Nets' first-round playoff sweep. Anderson didn't help his cause when he didn't show up for the exit meeting the day after. Anderson also missed the exit meeting with Don Chaney the year before.

The turnover-prone Anderson came to camp buried on the roster and had virtually no chance of making the rotation once rookie swingman Trevor Ariza emerged as an athletic force.

Anderson has three years and $24 million left on his contract and has become untradeable, although for the longest time it looked as if he'd be part of the Jamal Crawford package last summer. But the Bulls agreed upon a smaller deal that rid Anderson and Eddie Robinson from the trade.

In his book, "Lost Season", Phil Jackson's journal of last season's implosion of the Lakers' dynasty, he reveals Shaquille O'Neal did not want to be traded to the Knicks.

"I asked about the Knicks," Jackson writes. "No interest. 'Tough place for kids to grow up,' he said."

Nazr Mohammed has all but locked up starting job at center.
AUTOADVERT
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/27/2004  8:05 AM
I'd rather use his expiring contract as part of a trade package in 2 years than buy him out now

[Edited by - Bonn1997 on 10/27/2004 10:55:53]
Rich
USA
10/28/2004  12:32 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/28/sports/basketball/28knicks.html?oref=login

REBOUNDS

There is a possibility the Knicks will buy out SHANDON ANDERSON's contract, but that day does not appear to be imminent. The two sides have loosely discussed a settlement, but are so far apart that the discussion is virtually meaningless. His agent wants a payout that is close to the $24 million Anderson is due over the next three years, according to a person with knowledge of the discussion. The Knicks have offered about $3 million. "There won't be any huge cuts,'' Anderson said. He is resigned to opening the season glued to the Knicks bench. "For what purpose, I don't know,'' he said. ...
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/28/2004  12:55 AM
Posted by Rich:

REBOUNDS

There is a possibility the Knicks will buy out SHANDON ANDERSON's contract, but that day does not appear to be imminent. The two sides have loosely discussed a settlement, but are so far apart that the discussion is virtually meaningless. His agent wants a payout that is close to the $24 million Anderson is due over the next three years, according to a person with knowledge of the discussion. The Knicks have offered about $3 million. "There won't be any huge cuts,'' Anderson said. He is resigned to opening the season glued to the Knicks bench. "For what purpose, I don't know,'' he said. ...
Does that mean the Knicks have offered $3 mil less than the $24 mil he's owed or just $3 mil total (i.e., $21 mil less than he's owed)? If the latter, than that's the most riduculous offer I've heard in a long time!
Rich
USA
10/28/2004  1:22 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

REBOUNDS

Does that mean the Knicks have offered $3 mil less than the $24 mil he's owed or just $3 mil total (i.e., $21 mil less than he's owed)? If the latter, than that's the most riduculous offer I've heard in a long time!

The way I read it, $3 million in total. It's a high stakes game of chicken. Isiah's message is: "Take our offer, or watch your basketball skills disintegrate."

My guess is that Isiah would probably go to about $10 to $12 million.
Rich
USA
10/28/2004  4:14 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/246899p-211499c.html

Notebook

MONEY MATTERS: With six days left until the season begins, the Knicks are still debating whether to buy out Anderson's contract, which calls for him to make $24 million over the next three years. Since the Knicks have no intentions of playing Anderson, it would make sense to sever ties. However, it's unlikely Anderson would accept anything less than $20 million.

Isiah Thomas turned down a chance over the summer to trade Anderson to Toronto for Alvin Williams. One other deal Thomas may regret not making is signing Rodney White. With Anderson in limbo, White could have stepped in as the backup small forward. White re-signed with Denver.

Veteran forward Tracy Murray was released, leaving the roster at 15.

Frank Isola

Originally published on October 28, 2004
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/28/2004  7:24 AM
If that boy is smart, he should accept that offer. 10 to 12 milion plus an opportunity to go out and play for another team this season could prove very worthy in the long run. I would much rather go elsewhere to prove that the Knicks are wrong than rotten on IR.

Posted by Rich:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by Rich:

REBOUNDS

The way I read it, $3 million in total. It's a high stakes game of chicken. Isiah's message is: "Take our offer, or watch your basketball skills disintegrate."

My guess is that Isiah would probably go to about $10 to $12 million.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/28/2004  9:50 AM
he's not getting anything but the minimum.. so if he takes $10mm he said said goodbye to $14mm. There is no way he does that. Why would anyone? $14mm is $14mm
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/28/2004  10:24 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I would much rather go elsewhere to prove that the Knicks are wrong than rotten on IR.

I dont think Shandon can be put on the IR unless he agrees to under league rules and he wouldnt with the migrane he had last last year.
CTKnicksfan
Member: #572
10/28/2004  11:13 AM
This should work exactly like the NJ's buyout of Mutombo last year. Deke was owed 37 mil for 3 years, but took a buyout offer of 27 mil because he knew he could make up the 10 mil difference by getting someone's MLE for two years, which he did with the Knicks.

Now, Shandon has to know he won't get more than the vet's min at this point in his career, and even if he plays well, it's not like he could get anywhere near the money he'd be giving up (in his next contract). So, if shandon can make about 4 mil over 3 years at the vet's min, he probably won't take a buyout of less than 20 mil. If he wants out that badly, maybe he'd sacrifice a couple mil and take a buyout for say 17-19 mil. But to think he'd take 3 mil or even 10 mil is absurd. I hope the 3 mil offer isn't true, it can't be good for Isiah's reputation around the league if he's really putting forth a BS offer like that.
fishmike
USA
10/28/2004  11:28 AM
maybe they could take some of the cost of out what they still owe Layden. call it gross ineptitude penalty.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/28/2004  11:41 AM
Anderson is refusing to go on the IR if there is no buyout...at this point, i'm so fed up w/this guy that i almost hope the Knicks don't buy him out & let him waste away on the bench for the next 3 years rather than paying him most of the money they owe him anyway & letting him go to another team where he'll be able to get playing time & increase his own value down the road.

to hell w/Shandon Anderson...this guy is making demands for playing time & refusing to go on the IR? who the hell does he think he is? i say ostracize him from the rest of the team & let him pout all he wants.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
10/28/2004  12:15 PM
he's the 12th man. He can sit there and the closest he's getting to floor time is during warmups. I dont really think it affects the roster. Your active roster when Houston comes back looks like this:

Marbury/Crawford
Houston/Penny/Shandon
TThomas/Ariza/JYD
KT/Sweetney
Nazr/Baker
IR: Brewer/Moochie/Sundov

Shandon can sit for the next 3 years, makes his small fortune and thank god for the day Layden became the GM of the Knicks.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/28/2004  1:11 PM
It is definitely not in our advantage to have him on the bench whatsoever. He can become a serious distraction specially for our youngsters. Besides, the spot that he will occupy can definitely be used to retain a much needed player, I.E. a shooter or a big man.

Posted by fishmike:

he's the 12th man. He can sit there and the closest he's getting to floor time is during warmups. I dont really think it affects the roster. Your active roster when Houston comes back looks like this:

Marbury/Crawford
Houston/Penny/Shandon
TThomas/Ariza/JYD
KT/Sweetney
Nazr/Baker
IR: Brewer/Moochie/Sundov

Shandon can sit for the next 3 years, makes his small fortune and thank god for the day Layden became the GM of the Knicks.
The true Knickabocker..........
Rich
USA
11/10/2004  4:16 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/251397p-215262c.html

Shandon closes
in on door

The Knicks appear to be moving closer to severing ties with veteran small forward Shandon Anderson, who has fallen out of favor with Isiah Thomas.

A buyout agreement could be reached sometime within the next few days that would make Anderson a free agent and clear a roster spot for 6-9 forward Eddie Robinson, who Thomas is considering signing.

Anderson is scheduled to earn $24 million over the next three years. The Knicks would likely have to give him between $20 million and $22 million. Utah, Houston, Miami, Detroit and Toronto are among the teams that would be interested in signing him.

Frank Isola

Originally published on November 10, 2004
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/10/2004  8:55 AM
Shandon has never been a problem and I just don't understand the hate toward him. He had a bad series shooting 7-27 and he is blamed for the nets sweep. The guy never was a great shooter and it was a tough series.

He was humiliated by Isiah in his home town, and it was not communicated to him that his streak would end.

His contract is just awful, but the the guy could be an asset. Isiah should be a little thick skinned and not have allowed this stupid thing to get out of hand. You got a guy you owe 24 million, you can devalue him, or make him an asset somehow.

Im going to lay some of this on Isiah. No big deal, either way its not impacting our team.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
11/10/2004  11:07 AM
as i understood it, Lenny had asked Shandon if he wanted into the game to continue his streak, but he refused the charity.

who the hell cares? get this guy out of here...he's done absolutely ZERO for this franchise & he's collected millions of dollars while doing it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Andrew
Member: #1
USA
11/10/2004  11:11 AM
You are right TMS...looking back to the archives...

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/158077p-138786c.html

But Lenny Wilkens, who nearly put a stop to Anderson's streak last week before playing him for the final two minutes against Chicago, kept the swingman glued to the bench in a game played before Anderson's family and friends in his hometown of Atlanta.

Anderson is disappointed his streak is over but is more upset with his diminishing role under Wilkens. In the first five games under Wilkens, Anderson played 12, 2, 8 and 3minutes, respectively, before Friday's DNP.

Following last Saturday's win at Chicago, Anderson approached Wilkens and told him he shouldn't feel obligated to play him just to keep Anderson's streak alive. After Friday's game, Anderson refused to comment about his DNP and Wilkens admitted being surprised by Anderson's reaction, saying, "I didn't think there was a need to talk to him. He told me not to worry about it."
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
USA
11/10/2004  11:13 AM
the hate is because he is the living embodiment of what Layden did to this team. The $24mm owed to him what we have left of the Ewing era. How does that sit with you? He's a walking example of how to ruin a great franchise.

Its not personal, just what he stands for.
Anderson likely to be bought out (Disclaimer: Marc Berman article)

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy