Author Thread
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/27/2004  12:33 AM
I went to the game tonight and here were my conclusions
seeing this game in person and being able to get a view
of the floor:

1. The hype surrounding Sweetney is just that right now.
He is in no way ready to step into a starting role.
Kurt Thomas is by far and away the better player as yet.
Sweetney can rebound, but he cannot get a shot off, as he
can't get his fat azz off the floor. He fakes, fakes, fakes,
then flails around and either gets fouled or gets an offensive.
He had 2 offensive fouls tonight.

2. For all the articles in the paper about Penny being ready
to step it up, feeling good, and no pain, well, I'll believe it
when I see it, and I want to believe it. He still looks slow.

3. All you Houston haters better check yourselves, cause if
Houston doesn't come back this team is going nowhere. Crawford
is not ready for a starting role. After all we've heard
the last weeks about his shot selection, why is it still so bad?
It was terrible tonight. And we NEED some shooting!

4. Tim Thomas has still not shown up. What you don't see in the
box score is that he had 2 air balls from about 6-10 ft out, and
another barely hitting front rim. That said, Ariza still needs
lots of development before he'll be ready to content for the spot.

5. Moochie is not as bad a backup as some have made him out to be.
Overpaid? Yes.

6. Nazr is NOT a starting center. Defense consists of fouling
opponent. Box score is generous to him offensively. I'd like
to see more of Baker, cuz we're going nowhere with this cat.
He just doesn't have what it takes.

AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/27/2004  12:49 AM
What does "not ready for a starting role" mean?

This isn't a championship team. Young talented players improve with PT. As a result, Sweetney and Crawford are ready to start, and should start.

[Edited by - Rich on 10/27/2004 00:49:59]
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/27/2004  12:54 AM
perhaps i was watching upside down, but it appeared to me that NJ had tremendous trouble with Sweetney. is KT the far and away better player? NO.

knicks have a lot of depth and it's all reasonable quality. we have way to many inconsistent players to be a real good team, but this team is built for the east. It just doesnt have the superior talent that it takes to be a top team, but we are built strong enough to beat the crp teams and play the better teams well at home. I think philly trumps us in our division--so i really believe its a fight 6-8 for us and i feel pretty good that we will be one of them but we will lose 1st round.

we are going to battle wash orl Boston toronto and milwaukee for those positions

i feel
detroit
indiana
Miami
Philly
Clev
trump us i think we are right at the top of the next tier.

RIP Crushalot😞
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
10/27/2004  1:06 AM
Panos if I read your post not knowing the score, I would swear the knicks got blown out instead of winning the game..

But I dissagree with you on sweetney, especially about him either getting fouled or commiting an offensive, it seems like he gets fouled more than he commits offensive fouls, he had 12 FT attempts in 20 min, I think that is damn good...
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
Panos
10/27/2004  8:37 AM
Posted by tkf:

Panos if I read your post not knowing the score, I would swear the knicks got blown out instead of winning the game..

But I dissagree with you on sweetney, especially about him either getting fouled or commiting an offensive, it seems like he gets fouled more than he commits offensive fouls, he had 12 FT attempts in 20 min, I think that is damn good...

He tried to take about ten shots, and got off only 2 clean.

And yes, they won. But we're talking about a NJ team that has
only Jefferson and otherwise decimated. Their defense made
Ron Mercer look great.

Briggs, fair enough about the 6-8 finish, and first round loss,
but that is if Allan comes back. Otherwise, I fear worse.
This team needs him badly.

[Edited by - panos on 10/27/2004 08:43:26]
Panos
10/27/2004  8:51 AM
Posted by Panos:
Posted by Rich:

What does "not ready for a starting role" mean?

This isn't a championship team. Young talented players improve with PT. As a result, Sweetney and Crawford are ready to start, and should start.

[Edited by - Rich on 10/27/2004 00:49:59]

It means they don't yet have the skills or mentality to carry this
team with 40 mins a night. At this point the veterans at their
positions are still superior players. I'm not saying the kids shouldn't play, just that with them logging 40 mins a night,
you can look forward to a record like Chicago had last year.

Coach has got to keep the reins on Crawford like last night.
If he tosses up junky shots, he's got to sit.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/27/2004  9:48 AM
He tried to take about ten shots, and got off only 2 clean.
was that because he was fouled and went to the line 12 times? Cmon... they had no answer for Sweetney except to whack him. Now in time some of those shots will go down more, and you will see more "and one" but in 19 minutes Sweetney was fouled 6 times and also had 2 blocks. Your probably right that KT should start, if for no other reason then to keep the pressure off him, because the fouls are obviously still an issue.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bizzy211
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #601
USA
10/27/2004  10:19 AM
Panos, What row and section were you sitting in during the game? (It couldn't have been far because noone was hardly at the game) You should've seen Sweetney get hacked and doubled everytime he got the ball. The Refs missed serveral Illegal Defense as well because at one point they had 2 people guarding Sweetney on an Isolation and Sweetney didn't have the ball yet.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/27/2004  10:36 AM
Posted by Bizzy211:

Panos, What row and section were you sitting in during the game? (It couldn't have been far because noone was hardly at the game) You should've seen Sweetney get hacked and doubled everytime he got the ball. The Refs missed serveral Illegal Defense as well because at one point they had 2 people guarding Sweetney on an Isolation and Sweetney didn't have the ball yet.

I peeped that.....i saw that in summer league too....what do teams see in Sweetney that they don't want him touching the ball or even starting a move. It seems like either Sweetney makes a good pass out or he is fouled. Dude is making his free throws. All the teams I've seen have all over played Sweets. What the heck is that about? I guess the fact he is the only post presence makes him a prime target. In that case Sweets and KT need to start together.....cuz Sweets will get and ones and KT will kill them with his jumper. Pick your poison.

Still not a great option for a team trying to win big.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bizzy211
Member: #601
USA
10/27/2004  11:00 AM
I've never screamed at the T.V so loud like I did during yesterday's game. Especially when they didn't call the illegal defense. I think K.T looked foolish yesterday because when he wasn't hitting his shots, he wasn't doing much. He did try to run the court, but he just isn't fast enough. All in all, he showed effort and nothing more. T.T needs to be a slasher more because he's gonna get fouled ever time he does it. I say force the refs to make a call. I say there were 2 offensive fouls against the Knicks that were bull***t (I think they were both on Sweetney) and it was obvious they were flops. These refs weren't the best, but it's preseason.
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/27/2004  12:12 PM
If no one on the team is consistant, how do you juge them. One day it's sweetny, the next it's TT, or JC, Kt and so forth and so forth.
As long as some one steps up and picks up the slack ( if were so deep) we should be OK.

The concern should hardly be on the offensive end, but more so on defense. Other then Houston, every single player we have is streaky, lets just hope they never get cold at the same time, or for long stretches.

We have 2 very good playmakers in JC and SM, so creating for others who are hot will benfit us enormously.
ES
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/27/2004  12:14 PM
Sweetney looks like a Bear when he runs the floor.....

There was a play where Marbs, Ariza, and Sweets were on the break.

Marbs didn't give Sweets the ball but geez that was the fastest I ever seen a man that size run. He truly looked like a Bear.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
fishmike
USA
10/27/2004  12:24 PM
dude.. I'm pretty sure there is no more illegal defense. Thats why you can now play zone in the NBA. You dont have to guard a man anymore, and you can double a guy without the ball.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/27/2004  1:02 PM
do they still have a defensive 3 second rule or can you just camp out in the lane even when you're not guarding anybody?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bippity10
Member: #574
10/27/2004  1:20 PM
Yeah I'm not sure about the analysis on Sweetney. I know he wasn't be guarded by Kenyon last night but how was that performance anything but impressive. The Nets could do nothing with him. They HAD TO FOUL HIM TO KEEP HIM FROM SCORING. When did that become a negative thing? The Nets eventually switched to a zone to prevent him from getting the ball and I thought Sweetney had two or three passes out of the double team.

Why are Knick fans so negative in their analysis?
I just hope that people will like me
fishmike
USA
10/27/2004  1:43 PM
those moves were LJ like. When he moves with that quickness your going to be out of position when he shoots. That means you foul or let him get his shot off. He really showed speed on that baseline up and under that didnt drop, but he still drew the contact on. That was on a double team. The play where Jacque Vaughn got tossed to the ground (even Ian Eagle said "like a ragedy ann doll") was just funny, because Sweet STILL got the shot up. In a couple years when he reaches the ripe old age of 24 he's going to be a bonafide force.
Bippity10
Member: #574
10/27/2004  1:50 PM
I'm with you. I was drooling watching that performance last night. Sign of good things to come. He tried the turnaround jumper twice and both times he looked smooth and very comfortable. I think that will become a pet move of his very soon. The only thing I saw was that he seems to get ahead of himself sometimes and tends to stumble when searching for body contact. That's a footwork thing and will take him time to learn. In the meantime unfortunately we will have to watch some dominant stretches followed by traveling calls and offensive fouls. Regardless I'm excited.

Oh yeah, and the passes out of the double team. Very good.
I just hope that people will like me
Panos
10/27/2004  1:53 PM
Well, time will tell about Sweetney. And I hope I'm wrong.

What about the 5 points?
fishmike
USA
10/27/2004  2:05 PM
Posted by Panos:

What about the 5 points?

???? huh ????
Panos
10/27/2004  2:10 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Panos:

What about the 5 points?

???? huh ????

Sorry. What about my other 5 points in this thread's original post.
Observations from the game live

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy