[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Put Sweetney at starting Pf and leave him there for 38 minutes
Author Thread
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/22/2004  11:28 AM
whatever the rest of the junk does i dont care--but set the foundation of sweetney in place.
RIP Crushalot😞
AUTOADVERT
Vmart
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #247
USA
10/22/2004  11:30 AM
Posted by BRIGGS:

whatever the rest of the junk does i dont care--but set the foundation of sweetney in place.

I agree with you. Sweetney is the only decent front court player the Knicks have. The rest is pretty much garbage.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/22/2004  11:43 AM
i would like to see more than Sweetney play 30 plus minutes....

it's time to get ready for the season....experimenting with the roster is over
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/22/2004  11:43 AM
the rest are all has beens you are right. I was so excited when I heard that Lenny was starting kurt and sweetney instead we get kurt and baker. Baker's defense is worse than Nazr's!!!!!!!
simrud
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #474
USA
10/22/2004  12:43 PM
Starting Kurt and Baker makes no sense. If you are not going to start KT at PF, then Sweetney should start there by default. Baker is garbage, new heart or no new heart, people don't just come back to form after years of sucking.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
timmyTtop
Member: #680
10/22/2004  4:15 PM
you guys dont get it. the main reason he doesnt get over 30 mins is because his foul trouble.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/22/2004  4:36 PM
Posted by timmyTtop:

you guys dont get it. the main reason he doesnt get over 30 mins is because his foul trouble.
Regardless of fouls, he's not gonna get 30 mpg coming off the bench. Very few bench players do. He hasn't been in foul trouble anyway, though. He's averaged 3 fouls a game in the preseason.
timmyTtop
10/22/2004  5:23 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by timmyTtop:

Regardless of fouls, he's not gonna get 30 mpg coming off the bench. Very few bench players do. He hasn't been in foul trouble anyway, though. He's averaged 3 fouls a game in the preseason.

in like 22 measly mins of playing time. that means if he did play 40 mins, he'd be at 5-6 fouls.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/22/2004  5:49 PM
Posted by timmyTtop:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by timmyTtop:

in like 22 measly mins of playing time. that means if he did play 40 mins, he'd be at 5-6 fouls.

Wait, so your arguement is Sweetney is not getting 30 mpg because if he got 40 mpg, he'd get 5 or 6 fouls?

No one on here wants him to get 40 mpg. We don't even want Steph to get quite that much.
KNICKSdom
Alba Posts: 8
Member: #545
USA
10/22/2004  7:09 PM
Totally agree there. I want Sweetney to get his 30 mins starting or off the bench. His rebounding prowess should offset some defensive mistakes. I want to see him block some shots too, didn't he used to block a lot of shots in college?
Knicks are happening and have a Unicorn.
gunsnewing
USA
10/22/2004  7:58 PM
yes he did but that was college where players are smaller. but that alone should make him the best shot blocker on the knicks
teslawlo
Member: #699
USA
10/22/2004  10:04 PM
Screw the stuff about the fouls - just play him as long as you can regardless in the preseason. If he fouls out big deal, its not like it's the end of the world. Keeping him in longer will only get him less foul-prone faster.
http://allknicks.com
timmyTtop
10/22/2004  10:19 PM
Posted by MaTT4281:
Posted by timmyTtop:
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by timmyTtop:

Wait, so your arguement is Sweetney is not getting 30 mpg because if he got 40 mpg, he'd get 5 or 6 fouls?

No one on here wants him to get 40 mpg. We don't even want Steph to get quite that much.

well some dude made a whole thread about him specifically getting the number "38" mins. were talking about nearly getting fouled out, wouldnt look too good at all. theres too much hype around this sweetny guy, he's not all that. he's too slow and crappy on D
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
11/1/2004  4:41 AM
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/248269p-212645c.html

Knicks' Sweet spot

Isiah grooms young forward

By FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Michael Sweetney somehow survived the great purge of 2002-03, that hectic eight-month period in Knicks history last season when Isiah Thomas traded, released or fired just about anyone and anything with Scott Layden's finger-prints on it.

"I didn't know what was going to happen next," Sweetney said. "I was on the injured list and all I did was sit on the bench."

Sweetney avoided banishment because Thomas, the Knicks' president, believes he knows talent when he sees it and he wasn't about to ship out a young player only because he was linked to a former regime. In fact, the consensus among the coaching staff and the organization's top officials is that Sweetney, who turned 22 last week, can be a starting power forward in the league for 10 years.

"He's going to be a better player than I was," says Knicks assistant coach Mark Aguirre, himself a three-time All-Star. "I had a pretty good career, but Sweet is going to be better."

Sweetney has become a pet project for Aguirre, who doubles as his coach and drill sergeant. Sweetney spends a lot of time working with assistants George Glymph, Herb Williams and Michael Malone but when Sweetney is on the floor, whether it's a game or practice, the one voice that is constantly shouting "Sweet, Sweet" belongs to Aguirre.

"Oh man, I can hear him," Sweetney says, laughing. "It just makes me work harder. Every possession he's yelling. I don't hear his voice in my sleep. It's not that bad yet. Maybe by the middle of the season I'll be hearing it. I know it's nothing personal. He just wants me to get better."

Aguirre always seems to be coaching Sweetney, helping him to develop a stronger back-to-the-basket game and improve his mid-ranger jumper. Sweetney is a beefy 6-8, 270-pound forward who is deceptively quick, particularly around the basket.

Sweetney is an ideal pupil: coachable, willing to learn, reserved — almost to a fault — with a terrific work ethic. Georgetown, where Sweetney played for three seasons, has a long history of sending similar type players to New York, starting with Patrick Ewing, then David Wingate, Othella Harrington, Dikembe Mutombo and now Jerome Williams and Sweetney.

Lenny Wilkens compared Sweetney to one of his former teammates, Paul Silas. Although Wilkens said Silas "couldn't jump higher than me," his positioning allowed him to be a prolific rebounder. Sweetney's long arms and active feet make him the team's best offensive rebounder.

The Knicks have big plans for Sweetney, who will be used primarily as Kurt Thomas' backup. Wilkens also likes to play Sweetney and Thomas together, especially since Nazr Mohammed and Vin Baker have struggled in the preseason. It's a smaller lineup but Sweetney and Thomas allow the Knicks to run and their games — Sweetney plays inside while Thomas is a great pick-and-roll player — complement one another.

"He's still a young player," Wilkens said. "I've only known him from the end of January and I think he's made a lot of progress. I think this guy can be a real integral part of this team." Sweetney was the ninth pick of the 2003 draft who found himself buried behind Thomas, Harrington, Antonio McDyess and Clarence Weatherspoon. When Isiah Thomas replaced Layden in late December he quickly traded McDyess and Weatherspoon and threw Sweetney into the action. Over 42 games, Sweetney averaged 4.3 points, 3.7 rebounds over 11.3 minutes per game and shot 49%.

"This year I have a lot more confidence," Sweetney said. "The coaching staff is also showing more confidence in me. I've found a niche where I could fit in on the team. In college, I was the go-to guy that could score every possession. Here, I'm not that person, obviously. I just have to go out and rebound, play hard, make things happens and score when I get the chance."

Sweetney had a good preseason but wasn't as consistent as the coaches would have liked. He averaged 8.9 points, 5.6 rebounds and 20.9 minutes and shot 42%. The Knicks are convinced Sweetney's numbers will improve. Thomas, in fact, is counting on it. Or else he would have traded Sweetney long ago.

"It's a blessing to be here," Sweetney said. "Isiah is all about winning. He's serious about it. I'm glad he wants me to be part of the tradition here."

Should the Knicks offer their head coaching job to Phil Jackson? If not, then who?

What's your opinion? Let us know in twenty-five words or fewer. Include your name and hometown. Select responses will be displayed on Sunday, Nov. 7

Send your responses to: sportsforum@edit.nydailynews.com.

Originally published on November 1, 2004
Bonn1997
USA
11/1/2004  7:16 AM
I had a nightmare two nights ago that Isiah traded Sweetney and a 1st rd pick for Erick Dampier. I was so happy when I woke up
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
11/1/2004  8:22 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I had a nightmare two nights ago that Isiah traded Sweetney and a 1st rd pick for Erick Dampier. I was so happy when I woke up

What did you eat before you went to bed? Kool Aid and Popcorn?
Bonn1997
USA
11/1/2004  8:52 AM
Posted by Nalod:
Posted by Bonn1997:

What did you eat before you went to bed? Kool Aid and Popcorn?
LOL! I don't remember what I ate, but it wasn't that. BTW, I'm not just joking; I really DID have that nightmare. I think TT or some other player was involved to make the salaries match. My memory is a little fuzzy of the dream.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
11/1/2004  2:03 PM
I've had dreams of actually playing ball with Knick players before.

Back onto the topic. I wouldn't mind if Sweetney plays 25 - 30 minutes off the bench or starting, but I am not sure if he's mentally prepared to start either. I think foul trouble could be an issue for him, if he did start. I think you just gotto continue giving him a lot ofplaying time off the bench, and eventually, starting for him should be no problem. This is something that can easily start over the course of the season.
“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
11/1/2004  2:15 PM
In all actuality, it is a blessing from above to have Sweetney coming from the bench right now. We need to showcase Kurt Thomas as much as possible. If he has a brilliant start, at least by mid-season we may able to trade him to a team with assets that we may need.
The true Knickabocker..........
gunsnewing
USA
11/1/2004  2:29 PM
im fine with Sweetney off the bench to start the season. He's better suited as a bench player right now. When he starts he gets into instant foul trouble. I just hope he gets 25-30min a night.
Put Sweetney at starting Pf and leave him there for 38 minutes

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy