[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Question for all of the active trade-thinking minds out there...
Author Thread
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
10/20/2004  10:00 PM
What would it take to aquire Theo Ratliff at the trading deadline?
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
AUTOADVERT
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/20/2004  10:03 PM
portland won't do it. they just re-signed him and they love him. he's probably untouchable this season. a more realistic target could be haywood or gadzuric during the season.
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/20/2004  10:05 PM
Damn, you're right. I totally forgot about the resigning. Well who else is out there for us at the deadline?
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
timmyTtop
Member: #680
10/20/2004  11:27 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

Damn, you're right. I totally forgot about the resigning. Well who else is out there for us at the deadline?

possibly eddy curry. i watched his stats preseason. nothing special.
simrud
Member: #474
USA
10/21/2004  7:15 AM
I would give up anything short of Marbury for a decent center at this point. Give em TT, KT, Mohammed, whatever they want. We need a presence in the paint in the worst possible way. With all the PF and SF we have on the team, any of them are expandable. With a backcourt of Craw and Marbs we don't need an outside scorer at the 3, a defender like Penny or Ariza would be a better fit.

Sweetney, JYD will do at PF as long as there is a shotblocking center next to them. Baker can do OK as a backup C.

If I could somehow trade away TT, KT and Mohammed for a good C I would start that center, Sweetney, Penny, Marbs and Craw/Houston dependng if Houston is healthy. Penny/Ariza at SF would give us a nice defensive outlook at the 3.

I only wish this could happen, but there are really no centers out there that can be had for what we can offer.
A glimmer of hope maybe?!?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/21/2004  7:30 AM
Posted by simrud:

I would give up anything short of Marbury for a decent center at this point. Give em TT, KT, Mohammed, whatever they want. We need a presence in the paint in the worst possible way. With all the PF and SF we have on the team, any of them are expandable. With a backcourt of Craw and Marbs we don't need an outside scorer at the 3, a defender like Penny or Ariza would be a better fit.

Sweetney, JYD will do at PF as long as there is a shotblocking center next to them. Baker can do OK as a backup C.

If I could somehow trade away TT, KT and Mohammed for a good C I would start that center, Sweetney, Penny, Marbs and Craw/Houston dependng if Houston is healthy. Penny/Ariza at SF would give us a nice defensive outlook at the 3.

I only wish this could happen, but there are really no centers out there that can be had for what we can offer.

Teams are probably going to ask for Sweetney and may be Ariza for anything of value.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/21/2004  7:48 AM
I look around the league and the Knicks are not that much better than alot of teams in the back court.....

For instance if Washington is healthy they have a better front court and back court combination the Knicks. They can throw alot of size and athletisism at you in Washington. They also can wear you down with all the depth at guard they have.

I can't wait till teams start playing their players at their regular minutes.....get into their rotations. Then we'll see something.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/21/2004  8:30 AM
i'm willing to move ariza if we get someone like gadzuric or dalembert. dalembert will probably cost us ariza and a #1 but i think it's worth it. ariza for gadzuric works well also. i love ariza and his potential and heart but this is addressing a bigtime need.

as for who's available? i can't think of anyone right now but we could try to sign gadzuric in the offseason (he's a free agent). there aren't any really out there so we're probably just going to have to find one in the draft and get lucky.
franco12
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #599
USA
10/21/2004  10:16 AM
Folks- wake up- there aren't many good centers out there, and none are available.

After Shaq and Yao, who's out there?

Yea- Dalemberts good, but he was a project and kinda came out of now where and is now an excellent role player who happens to be 7ft.

There are a bunch of underacheiving, untalented 7 footers in the league and I don't want one just so we can have one.

Keep a roster spot oper so that after training camp ends and teams cut projects, there might be someone available who is good fit and might become the next dalambert-

otherwise, wait for the NBDL to get up and running and see if there is someone out there that would be a fit.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/21/2004  10:36 AM
There will be centers available, none right now, but in February there will be.

Jamaal Magloire is miserable in New Orleans.

Zydrunas may become available.

Olowokandi may pop free.

Ratliff may become available when Portland realizes their season is over in December.
¿ △ ?
TheSage
Member: #386
10/21/2004  10:45 AM
The knicks do not need Yao or Shaq (yes it would be nirvana if we had either). They have have arguably the best backcourt in the league if Houston is 90% and depth and athleticism in the front court with huge upside in Sweets and Ariza. We need servicable defenders in the middle (preferably a good passer) We are not getting a Dalembert (last I heard Philly is still planning to play this eason). Give me a solid defender, (a shotblocker would be nice) and 12-18 fouls to give. The bulls won with Cartwright who could shoot and was a decent defender but not a great shotblocker, Tom Boerwinkle who just stood there. I will bet that IT, by mid season will see someone in the CBA or NBDL who will fill the role. Baker is going to be an ok backup in the middle and will be better than that at times, Nazr will have to have it knocked into his head but he will become serviceable.

It going to be a fun season with more ups than downs and at least second round barring impact roster changes. So relax and let the games begin.

[Edited by - TheSage on 10/21/2004 10:46:06]

[Edited by - TheSage on 10/21/2004 10:47:01]
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/21/2004  11:35 AM
Posted by TheSage:

The knicks do not need Yao or Shaq (yes it would be nirvana if we had either). They have have arguably the best backcourt in the league if Houston is 90% and depth and athleticism in the front court with huge upside in Sweets and Ariza. We need servicable defenders in the middle (preferably a good passer) We are not getting a Dalembert (last I heard Philly is still planning to play this eason). Give me a solid defender, (a shotblocker would be nice) and 12-18 fouls to give. The bulls won with Cartwright who could shoot and was a decent defender but not a great shotblocker, Tom Boerwinkle who just stood there. I will bet that IT, by mid season will see someone in the CBA or NBDL who will fill the role. Baker is going to be an ok backup in the middle and will be better than that at times, Nazr will have to have it knocked into his head but he will become serviceable.

It going to be a fun season with more ups than downs and at least second round barring impact roster changes. So relax and let the games begin.

[Edited by - TheSage on 10/21/2004 10:46:06]

[Edited by - TheSage on 10/21/2004 10:47:01]

Bowerwinkle? Your good man, real good.

I was thinking of Dave Cowens back up in boston, Henry Finkel!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/21/2004  12:40 PM
Posted by djsunyc:

portland won't do it. they just re-signed him and they love him. he's probably untouchable this season. a more realistic target could be haywood or gadzuric during the season.

Haywood would be my choice...he's 25 w/upside, he's big, & he's from NYC...he's also a restricted FA after this season...WAS has to decide whether or not they want to re-sign Kwame Brown, who's also a restricted FA after this season...that might make them more willing to trade Haywood if they could get a solid PF/C & a draft pick in the offseason.

i would offer up Nazr & a 2nd round pick for Haywood (sign & trade) & sign him to a full MLE deal...he would be a perfect solution for the C position going forward...that would free up the dollars for WAS to sign Kwame & Larry Hughes to longterm extensions if they so choose.

C - Haywood / Baker
PF - Sweetney / KT / JYD
SF - TT / Ariza
SG - Houston / Crawford
PG - Marbury / Penny / Brewer
IR - Shandon / Moochie / Sundov?
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/21/2004  1:09 PM
Haywood played high school ball in Greensboro, NC.

Michael JOrdan is from Brooklyn, NY. Mike moved when he was 3.

Haywood is not worth anything near full MLE.

I don't think we can solve this problem at preseason. If a solution presents itself, Isiah will jump on it. Maybe that what deeping KT around is for. Trade fodder.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/21/2004  1:38 PM
i didn't say anything about him playing HS ball in NYC...i said he was from NYC

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3532

Born: November 11, 1979, New York, NY

[Edited by - TMS on 10/21/2004 13:38:39]
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/21/2004  3:10 PM
I'd just assume wait a while, then Penny's, TT's, and even Moochie's and Nazr's contracts will all be much more valueable. We will get that center we all want, but we gotta be patient first.
Question for all of the active trade-thinking minds out there...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy