[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

GameThread: Knicks host Jazz [Bullock possibly out tonight. Could it be 2K time?]
Author Thread
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
1/7/2021  8:44 AM
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:tight tight rotation,(i love it) we essentially played 7 guys, with IQ logging just 6 minutes

This is really the worst attitude. Love the win but nah the short rotations got to go

I really want to win games guys playing high 30’s minutes. Kind of like how he played RJ tonight.

Then pay attention to the injuries and who is left on the bench and let us know what GLeague talent you think should be playing over the guys who are winning games and earning their playing time

He had Quickley on the bench most the game and played Payton 42 minutes this game. So your injury excuse is not an excuse.

He could have put Knox out there more at the 4 as well, which meant he could play Randle less overall and put Randle at the 5 some more to give Mitch a bit of rest too.

You feel justified hyping these regular season wins until someone gets injured seriously eking them out. Also even when the team gets to the playoffs the playoff rotation players are so tired they underperform.

You can tell the fan base is starved for wins when they refuse to see the inherent flaw in winning like this. When guys come back I don’t want to hear excuses about the minutes either.

When players are playing well, you play them. And it’s yielded very good outcomes.

This is not a 30 year old vet team.

I get that but when these guys who are our “core” do become older they are more likely to break down because Thibs played them heavy minutes. Not to mention fatigue in the playoffs.

Plus today we saw three guys under 25 get major injuries, one of them a rookie. Injuries are not based on age.

Finally the Jazz ran a 9 man rotation too just like the Knicks did and distributed the minutes better with their stars playing 35 and 36 minutes. Thibs had 3 players over 40 minutes.

These “very good outcomes” is regular season wins too.... that means nothing. It feels important because we been bad, but load management is a thing contenders do for a reason.

we are not contenders. We are building a winning team and this coach is literally pressing all the right buttons. The guys he's riding are 26 years old and youngers.

Plus today we saw three guys under 25 get major injuries, one of them a rookie. Injuries are not based on age.
You are right. They are based on bad luck. Like the hole in the outfield I stepped in when I tore my ALC.

Knicks won 5 of 6 with tons of injuries and Thibs riding the hot hand every night. Thibs said they planned on playing 9-10 guys.

Did you watch this game? How any Knick fan watches a game like this and comes away with guys playing too many minutes tells me its time for another hobby man. Geeze

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
AUTOADVERT
knicks1248
Member: #582
1/7/2021  8:57 AM
with all the injuries we had, our last 5 coaches would have been in straight TANK MODE, throwing a bunch of silly line ups on the wall, sabotaging the rotation
ES
cooch2584
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #1187

1/7/2021  9:24 AM
knicks1248 wrote:with all the injuries we had, our last 5 coaches would have been in straight TANK MODE, throwing a bunch of silly line ups on the wall, sabotaging the rotation

Thats why Thibs was the biggest pickup.He dont quit and his players know if they quit hit the pine.
wargames
Member: #6053

1/7/2021  9:36 AM
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:tight tight rotation,(i love it) we essentially played 7 guys, with IQ logging just 6 minutes

This is really the worst attitude. Love the win but nah the short rotations got to go

I really want to win games guys playing high 30’s minutes. Kind of like how he played RJ tonight.

Then pay attention to the injuries and who is left on the bench and let us know what GLeague talent you think should be playing over the guys who are winning games and earning their playing time

He had Quickley on the bench most the game and played Payton 42 minutes this game. So your injury excuse is not an excuse.

He could have put Knox out there more at the 4 as well, which meant he could play Randle less overall and put Randle at the 5 some more to give Mitch a bit of rest too.

You feel justified hyping these regular season wins until someone gets injured seriously eking them out. Also even when the team gets to the playoffs the playoff rotation players are so tired they underperform.

You can tell the fan base is starved for wins when they refuse to see the inherent flaw in winning like this. When guys come back I don’t want to hear excuses about the minutes either.

When players are playing well, you play them. And it’s yielded very good outcomes.

I get that but when these guys who are our “core” do become older they are more likely to break down because Thibs played them heavy minutes. Not to mention fatigue in the playoffs.

Finally the Jazz ran a 9 man rotation too just like the Knicks did and distributed the minutes better with their stars playing 35 and 36 minutes. Thibs had 3 players over 40 minutes.

These “very good outcomes” is regular season wins too.... that means nothing. It feels important because we been bad, but load management is a thing contenders do for a reason.

we are not contenders. We are building a winning team and this coach is literally pressing all the right buttons. The guys he's riding are 26 years old and youngers.

You are right. They are based on bad luck. Like the hole in the outfield I stepped in when I tore my ALC.

Knicks won 5 of 6 with tons of injuries and Thibs riding the hot hand every night. Thibs said they planned on playing 9-10 guys.

Did you watch this game? How any Knick fan watches a game like this and comes away with guys playing too many minutes tells me its time for another hobby man. Geeze

A lot of slick talk in these replies but like I said you can see how people are so desperate for a win they don't want to think long term.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
wargames

1/7/2021  9:39 AM
Chandler wrote:obviously everyone is deservedly happy.

3 random observations

1) we have beaten good teams but IMO just as importantly well-coached teams. SO that's promising! neither the opposing players nor the coaches have answers
2) we have won in second half meaning we have made adjustments to them and out-executed. that's confidence inspiring. guys will be motivated to play hard the full 4 knowing they can come back
3)regarding the minutes. It's obviously a concern. There is a legitimate reason why some teams do load mgmt. But it cannot be contested that Thibs approach re minutes reinforces his dictum that each player needs to earn their minutes. No one goes into a game with some pre-allocated guaranteed amount. Anyone who doesn't think that guys like Frank, DSJ, Obi etc aren't on notice of that is not being realistic. If they weren't before, they are now locked in and focused in team meetings and film and busting ass in practice -- or riding pine. that simple. there is some benefit to that. is that benefit worth the risk? that will be a big focus. I do expect the second unit to come in like a bunch of spider monkeys (to borrow a phrase from Taledega Nights), and i also expect that if a guy (looking at you DSJ) starts launching selfish 30' bombs "because he's feeling it" there will be a cold spot at the end of the bench to think about those decisions

This is fair. Not against the culture change, but this minutes load has to be switch up.

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
1/7/2021  10:25 AM
Knicks are riding Randle usage very high and it will be good if Obi can play 25 minutes and help.
And Knox can play more than 16 min well.
He is managing the minutes of Payton and IQ well and installed Rivers who seems limited. Thats ok, this is how you get the best out of players.
Thibs has a history of riding his players too hard and burning them out. So its a fair concern to think this is unsustainable.
Reality is Burk’s should be starting and Knox should be backing him up. Reggie is a good third stringer. Knox has to out play him first. But if I’m Thibs this is what I’m shooting for eventually.
Keep an open mind and enjoy the games.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

1/7/2021  12:48 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/7/2021  12:48 PM
Missed first half. Got to catch the Austin Rivers show. The execution is so much better than we've seen in a long time. Seems to be much fewer mental mistakes made. Players know their roles.

Looking forward to Toppin returning. Hopefully he will help take some of the load off of Randle. Mitch seems to be more comfortable. More sure of his spots on the court. Barrett is getting back to his bread and butter. Bully ball to the rim.

Understand the need to rely on some players more, when quite a few are hurt. Jury is still out if thats something to be concerned about. Very pleased with the strong start. Looking like a playoff team. That would really attract quality FAs.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
1/7/2021  2:54 PM
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:

A lot of slick talk in these replies but like I said you can see how people are so desperate for a win they don't want to think long term.

my long term goal is developing the best team possible. You have no context for limiting anyone's minutes on this roster right now.

You play to win.

Randle just turned 26. RJ is 20. We are worried about 40 vs. 35 minutes when we need them to win games and there are 7-8 guys able to play?

Knick fans are funny. Play well, but not TOOO well. Play hard, but not TOOO hard. Please. Did Hayes and Fultz get hurt because they played too many minutes? Nothing slick... just a team trying to win games.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/7/2021  4:00 PM
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:

my long term goal is developing the best team possible. You have no context for limiting anyone's minutes on this roster right now.

You play to win.

Randle just turned 26. RJ is 20. We are worried about 40 vs. 35 minutes when we need them to win games and there are 7-8 guys able to play?

Knick fans are funny. Play well, but not TOOO well. Play hard, but not TOOO hard. Please. Did Hayes and Fultz get hurt because they played too many minutes? Nothing slick... just a team trying to win games.

Feel the fans that are "Worried" about some players excessive minutes are really more concerned about some of their favorite role players not getting burn. As you mentioned, the age is a major factor "IF" concerned about health. These are kids. Most of them can go out there after a game and put in another hour of play. May I also remind everyone that we are only eight games into the season. We had relatively NO training camp or pre season. In most normal years, coaches would be running grueling training camps to get these guys in shape. Additionally, we have Burks and Toppin out. Who are the only other players, I feel, deserve some minutes. Gone are the days that this roster is so bad that fans get their wish and see their hopeful 15th man in the game. Do not understand why some would pick watching their favorite and average role players over winning and watching real PROS play the game.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
cooch2584

1/7/2021  4:37 PM
GustavBahler wrote:Missed first half. Got to catch the Austin Rivers show. The execution is so much better than we've seen in a long time. Seems to be much fewer mental mistakes made. Players know their roles.

Looking forward to Toppin returning. Hopefully he will help take some of the load off of Randle. Mitch seems to be more comfortable. More sure of his spots on the court. Barrett is getting back to his bread and butter. Bully ball to the rim.

Understand the need to rely on some players more, when quite a few are hurt. Jury is still out if thats something to be concerned about. Very pleased with the strong start. Looking like a playoff team. That would really attract quality FAs.
[/

I agree,looks like the players like playing for Thibs and this coaching staff and they know their roles and their weaknesses. Im gonna say it now 5 seed in the EAST;

cooch2584

1/7/2021  4:38 PM
I agree,looks like the players like playing for Thibs and this coaching staff and they know their roles and their weaknesses. Im gonna say it now 5 seed in the EAST;
wargames

1/7/2021  7:04 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/7/2021  7:12 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:

You play to win.

Feel the fans that are "Worried" about some players excessive minutes are really more concerned about some of their favorite role players not getting burn. As you mentioned, the age is a major factor "IF" concerned about health. These are kids. Most of them can go out there after a game and put in another hour of play. May I also remind everyone that we are only eight games into the season. We had relatively NO training camp or pre season. In most normal years, coaches would be running grueling training camps to get these guys in shape. Additionally, we have Burks and Toppin out. Who are the only other players, I feel, deserve some minutes. Gone are the days that this roster is so bad that fans get their wish and see their hopeful 15th man in the game. Do not understand why some would pick watching their favorite and average role players over winning and watching real PROS play the game.

Not even..... I am operating under the belief Randle is part of the core. Randle looked tired as hell at the end of the last game. Which makes sense because the Knicks went and picked up another big not to play Randle/Mitch as many minutes a game.

Like so many people in here talking about play them 40+ minutes a game it’s nothing and the FO goes and grabs a big because it’s common sense you don’t run the core down in the regular season.

If you don’t want them to be healthy and if you don’t want them to not be completely worn out in the playoffs. You don’t play them 40+ minutes a bunch to eke out wins in the regular season.

Thibs isn’t infallible and it’s good to see the FO respond accordingly by getting Taj who we know he’ll play.

HofstraBBall
Member: #6192

1/7/2021  10:08 PM
wargames wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:
martin wrote:
wargames wrote:

You play to win.

Not even..... I am operating under the belief Randle is part of the core. Randle looked tired as hell at the end of the last game. Which makes sense because the Knicks went and picked up another big not to play Randle/Mitch as many minutes a game.

Like so many people in here talking about play them 40+ minutes a game it’s nothing and the FO goes and grabs a big because it’s common sense you don’t run the core down in the regular season.

If you don’t want them to be healthy and if you don’t want them to not be completely worn out in the playoffs. You don’t play them 40+ minutes a bunch to eke out wins in the regular season.

Thibs isn’t infallible and it’s good to see the FO respond accordingly by getting Taj who we know he’ll play.

Think we have to see how things pan out. Fact is we have a couple of players injured. Including Randle's back up. Not to mention Noel was beat up as well. Maybe wait to see how things go when those players are back at full speed. Do think that Thibs believes there is not much difference between 40 and 32 minutes. Especially when he seems to go with different guys at the end of games. Just happens that Randle has been the best and only option at 4 for the last few games.
'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
DJMUSIC
Member: #1283

1/8/2021  9:19 PM    LAST EDITED: 1/8/2021  9:21 PM
Nalod wrote:Knicks are riding Randle usage very high and it will be good if Obi can play 25 minutes and help.
And Knox can play more than 16 min well.
He is managing the minutes of Payton and IQ well and installed Rivers who seems limited. Thats ok, this is how you get the best out of players.
Thibs has a history of riding his players too hard and burning them out. So its a fair concern to think this is unsustainable.
Reality is Burk’s should be starting and Knox should be backing him up. Reggie is a good third stringer. Knox has to out play him first. But if I’m Thibs this is what I’m shooting for eventually.
Keep an open mind and enjoy the games.

Well said! Nalod

This is new.. chance for winning early in a pandemic season
Alot of knicks got things to prove!

I'm enjoying this where others ain't use to this
Simply said.

Team is learning system and teamwork of
Thibs system.

Also being good individually and moreso as
A team on both sides of hoops offensively and defensively.

A good thing! Relax all.. enjoy the ride
Ny players want respect only wins can bring as
Well as a fat $$$ contract possibilities

Thus lord we 🙏 pray in the Gospel of DJVINCE, amen!🛐

Turntable Musiclover & Mix-Master-ologist
GameThread: Knicks host Jazz [Bullock possibly out tonight. Could it be 2K time?]

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy