Is Allan not "Ghetto" enough?
Author Thread
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
10/19/2004  7:15 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Houston gets a knock because he is not that good.

People get overly excited about scoring. Houston has never really been one to take over any games offensively. It just clicked reciently that this is his team.

Well it's not any more. Houston doesn't make his teamates better. Are you guys blind? He is a great jumpshooter.....in a true offensive scheme he is just a marks man. He doesn't impact the game with his rebounding, passing, defense, ball handling, speed,etc.....just his jump shot.

Forget the street cred BS. Basketball is a street game as it is. I always thought that street cred stupidness was one of the most racist things to be said about anybody famous......might as well say they have nigga tendencies.

Bottom line....Houston said it best.....he now has to fit in this offense at 33 years old regardless of what he averaged in scoring average has been the last 3 years. The Knicks are moving the ball and creating opportunities with their ball handling and transition.

If Houston could come in and get his shot off faster than when he stands in one space for 5 secs just jab stepping by himself, then he will "fit in". The way the Knicks are playing that dump it to Houston BS will not be a every possesion thing anymore.

Well, if Houston isn't that good, Steph doesn't know it. With Steph being one of (if not the number one) point guard in the league I'd say the guy has a pretty good grasp of the game to say the least. I'd say his IQ of what basketball is is pretty high. You don't come into the NBA and become a great pointguard just going on jumping and chucking. You feel that Houston isn't that good yet one of the best guards in the leadue points out his specific qualities that are a huge lift for his own team. I'd say he knows what he's talking about.

As for Dirk being a shotblocker and rebounder? Come on, the guys career rebounding and shotblocking numbers are VERY close to Kurt Thomas. Kurt is 5 inches shorter than Dirk. Calling Dirk a shotblocker and rebounder is more than a stretch. Dirk shoots and drives. He's ot a defensive force. People drive on the Mavs at will all of the time. That's why they went and got Dampier.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
AUTOADVERT
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/19/2004  7:17 PM
Also, marksmen are rarely allstars. Steve Kerr, one of the greatest marksmen I've ever seen. Never sniffed an allstar game. And he has rings!

You can't reduce Houston to marksman status. He does more than wiat for someone to kick the ball out. Hell, for a long time he was our number one post option.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
PooPooPrince
Member: #719
10/19/2004  8:12 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

Grant Hill is totally different. Him and Houston are similiar people in that they are media darlings just sweethearts.

Grant Hill when he was healthy was one of the top talents in the league. Maybe top 5 easy. He was a killer in every aspect of the game besides his jumpshot. He was a better than average rebounder for his position. He lead his teams in assists and he was all over the fast break. He was also unstoppable one on one. This made his teamates better.

Houston does nothing but shoot. When his shot is off he get's just as much of a free ride as Spree or whoever you want to blame. Houston is not a basketball player, to me he is just a jumpshooter. They are good to have on your team but they don't make your overall team better unless they could do something else.

Peja can drive, pass, and rebound.
Ray Allen can straight up run the point, he can drive and score all over. He's not just a clear out spot up jumpshooter. He is great and creating space on his shots and shooting on the run. Plus he will dunk on you with authority.
Dirk passes, runs the floor, rebounds, and blocks shots.

Houston just shoots.

Exactly Houston is only a shooter, back in detroit when they were together and Joe Dumars was still playing Hill was clearly the much more talented player while Houston was just another jump shooter and still is!

I'll give him credit for all his spectacular game winners in 99 but I'd also have to give as much credit to Spree who was the real star at that time to propell the Knicks into the finals.

However atleast Houston has been a star off the court. I'm pretty sure Houston could care less what some boyscouts have to say about him
Stevo718
Member: #559
10/19/2004  9:07 PM
I'm not sure what you mean by "ghetto enough" but every street court has a player like Houston that just makes shots and is quiet.

If you think that no one in the ghetto is quiet then I guess he ain't "ghetto enough". Houston has plenty of street credibility, it's not just white people that can appreciate his shooting form and skill, you'd be surprised how many times I've heard minorities say that Hosuton has the sweetest jumper they ever seen.

Not everyone has to wear cornrows tattoes and bling bling to get respect in the hood.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2004  9:08 PM

Allan does not make those around him.

I think when he signed that big old contract nobody ever expected he would be asked to carry the team. He is not that kind of player, and yes for that kind of money he should. Be he don't, and thats the reality.

We know what he does and he does it very very well.

The Knicks now have players that can make the others around him better.

Thus,

Allan (if healthy) is a more valuable asset. If Marbs and Craw are good at their jobs, they will make Allan a better player. And likewise, his presence opens things up for them.

Its a win-win. All three elevate, for the good of the team.

Any half wit can see that a good alan makes the team better.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/20/2004  12:58 AM
Posted by Nalod:

Allan does not make those around him.

Of course not, he's a good Christian. He's faithful to his wife. ;-)
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/20/2004  9:16 AM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:
Posted by EnySpree:

Houston gets a knock because he is not that good.

People get overly excited about scoring. Houston has never really been one to take over any games offensively. It just clicked reciently that this is his team.

Well it's not any more. Houston doesn't make his teamates better. Are you guys blind? He is a great jumpshooter.....in a true offensive scheme he is just a marks man. He doesn't impact the game with his rebounding, passing, defense, ball handling, speed,etc.....just his jump shot.

Forget the street cred BS. Basketball is a street game as it is. I always thought that street cred stupidness was one of the most racist things to be said about anybody famous......might as well say they have nigga tendencies.

Bottom line....Houston said it best.....he now has to fit in this offense at 33 years old regardless of what he averaged in scoring average has been the last 3 years. The Knicks are moving the ball and creating opportunities with their ball handling and transition.

If Houston could come in and get his shot off faster than when he stands in one space for 5 secs just jab stepping by himself, then he will "fit in". The way the Knicks are playing that dump it to Houston BS will not be a every possesion thing anymore.

Well, if Houston isn't that good, Steph doesn't know it. With Steph being one of (if not the number one) point guard in the league I'd say the guy has a pretty good grasp of the game to say the least. I'd say his IQ of what basketball is is pretty high. You don't come into the NBA and become a great pointguard just going on jumping and chucking. You feel that Houston isn't that good yet one of the best guards in the leadue points out his specific qualities that are a huge lift for his own team. I'd say he knows what he's talking about.

As for Dirk being a shotblocker and rebounder? Come on, the guys career rebounding and shotblocking numbers are VERY close to Kurt Thomas. Kurt is 5 inches shorter than Dirk. Calling Dirk a shotblocker and rebounder is more than a stretch. Dirk shoots and drives. He's ot a defensive force. People drive on the Mavs at will all of the time. That's why they went and got Dampier.

Marbury says the same thing I say....Houston scorer. If he ain't scoring what does he do? He is a waste of space on the court. That's why they aren't worried about him. Let him come back when he is "100%".

You say saying Dirk being a rebounder and shotblocker being a stretch.....I don't see how comparing KT's numbers proves your point. Dirk is not just a scorer like Houston.....he also puts up KT like numbers and drives.

What does Houston do to make his teamates better? He can shoot? A blind man knows that but if he can't "get the proper lift" like he's been saying then he is useless. Houston never drew a double team in his life because you never double team a shooter.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/20/2004  11:57 AM
Houston got booed probably by the same people who were mad that he didn't rush his comeback to play in the playoffs vs the Nets. Yea we did need him but the rest of his career is more important than a playoffs with no chance of winning a championship.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
MS
Member: #724
10/20/2004  12:27 PM
They recognize game, TD is one of the best players in the game has won two championships he has respect. Ray Allen "He got game" #1 and he is complete player and dunks on people, J-Kidd is from Oakland and is the best pg in the game. These people are not hard to respect.

Its not about street cred its about having a little flavor to your game, and Houston has none, not to mention he is overpaid. The only time he ever had it was in Miami game five at the end after he hit the shot and did a fist pump into the camera...

He is a soft player, with no emotion, doesn't rebound, defend, and hasn't dunked the ball in 3 years......

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/21/2004  5:43 PM
Clyde Frazier showed no emotion, could not dunk, not much of a rebounder. He could defend, but not nearly as good a shooter as Alan.

Some guys are there for their just for ball handle, Defense, rebound, or shooting abilty. Few do it all.

Has not dunked in three years. So its about the dunk now? you want your best shooter dunking?

MS
Member: #724
10/22/2004  10:35 AM
You would think at 6'6 he could get to the rim occasionally. And lets not be stupid and compare the 70's to now. Hip hop was really main stream then, and it was accepted that the NBA players were part of the culture. You have to be kidding, he was loved because he won, put up big numbers and embarrassed people.

Clyde was smooth, of the court as well, and had charisma, which Allan does not
Is Allan not "Ghetto" enough?

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy