Author Thread
Philc1
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #8897

12/12/2020  2:54 PM
HofstraBBall wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:^ Frank looked good last night. His on ball and help defense is elite. If someone can't see this then they are blind or Frank did something personal to them.

I totally agree with your assessment from last night.

Thibs is the 4th coach that does not see Frank as a starting PG? Why? Even worse, if the first game is any indication, he does not think he is even a PG. Why?

And he's the third coach in a row who thinks Randle should start at PF - even ahead of Obi this time.

Give it time, he will eventually realize Frank is the best +/- player on the roster besides Mitch

Randle was our best player last year. So yeah makes sense to start him. As much as I hate him handling the ball still feel that is the right move. Obi may be, but one game vs Detroit does not erase Randle's proven production. As for Frank, I hope so. Just getting to the point the whole "Just wat and see" rant is getting old. Frank and Dennis have to step up and become above average PG's that have more impact or else its time to try someone else at PG. Frank can always be a solid bench role player.

The problem with making Randle your featured player on offense is he's a losing player. He can't shoot 3's, dribbles way too much and you even saw last night the spin move turnover stuff everyone keeps complaining about.

That doesn't mean Randle can't have a role on a competitive team but more likely that role should be coming off the bench as an energy guy. I don't hate Randle like a lot of knicks fans do. He fills a stat box, is a good low post scorer and is a decent mid-range shooter but Obi needs to start I think we have something special in him and if he gets starter minutes this year he could be in competition for ROY

AUTOADVERT
Welpee
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6239

12/12/2020  2:54 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2020  2:56 PM
Nalod wrote:Dennis still looks like he is thinking too much. I had said this before, he had his ACL torn his senior year in high school and really did not play. He has has that extra tendon so the 9th month miracle recovery bought him back. Rusty as hell he did not find his stride until the last 10 college games. My Son is an NC State grad and this our adapted team. Then on to Dallas were he was inconsistent but thats OK for a rook with few games under his belt at a high level. Then they mindphuck of Luka and the trade. He does not have the physical dominance or has not demonstrated it yet. I compare him to Baron Davis as they are both built strong. Baron was a rock star having a good time. Dennis does not have the joy of playing. IN high school he was projected to have that Steve Francis freaky ability. A bit of Derek rose, Baron Davis type bulldog. Rose has the length. Dennis simply just might not have “it” despite early flashes. He no doubt gets opportunity because of this potential but at 23 we have to see it. GM’s will have to see it if they are to assign a value on a contract. I’m not even sure he is an NBA player. HE needs to string 20 or so games together that defines who and what he is.
I don't know what to make of DSJ. He doesn't have PG skills. He's only playing the position because of his lack of size. He can't shoot, so playing off the ball is problematic. He doesn't play with much interest on defense. The only time he seems to give max effort is when it leads to a spectacular dunk, steal or block. He has a laundry list of excuses why he isn't a top flight player yet. Even his rookie year when he put up decent numbers, if you watched him play you saw that the stats were hollow.

I'm not sure if playing with joy is the issue. I've always said, he plays like he expected to be anointed greatness by just showing up and putting in the standard amount of work at this level. I think he values "oohhs & aahhs" from his peers and the crowd more than he values wins. It may be unfair but that's how it looks from the outside looking in to me.

Philc1

12/12/2020  2:57 PM
Welpee wrote:
Nalod wrote:Dennis still looks like he is thinking too much. I had said this before, he had his ACL torn his senior year in high school and really did not play. He has has that extra tendon so the 9th month miracle recovery bought him back. Rusty as hell he did not find his stride until the last 10 college games. My Son is an NC State grad and this our adapted team. Then on to Dallas were he was inconsistent but thats OK for a rook with few games under his belt at a high level. Then they mindphuck of Luka and the trade. He does not have the physical dominance or has not demonstrated it yet. I compare him to Baron Davis as they are both built strong. Baron was a rock star having a good time. Dennis does not have the joy of playing. IN high school he was projected to have that Steve Francis freaky ability. A bit of Derek rose, Baron Davis type bulldog. Rose has the length. Dennis simply just might not have “it” despite early flashes. He no doubt gets opportunity because of this potential but at 23 we have to see it. GM’s will have to see it if they are to assign a value on a contract. I’m not even sure he is an NBA player. HE needs to string 20 or so games together that defines who and what he is.
I don't know what to make of DSJ. He doesn't have PG skills. He's only playing the position because of his lack of size. He can't shoot, so playing off the ball is problematic. He doesn't play with much interest on defense. The only time he seems to give max effort is when it leads to a spectacular dunk, steal or block. He has a laundry list of excuses why he isn't a top flight player yet. Even his rookie year when he put up decent numbers, if you watched him play you saw that the stats were hollow.

I'm not sure if playing with joy is the issue. I've always said, he plays like he expected to be anointed greatness by just showing up and putting in the standard amount of work at this level. I think he values "ohhs and ahhhs" from his peers and the crowd more than he values wins. It may be unfair but that's how it looks from the outside looking in to me.

DSJ looked ok last night but he has no role on a winning team. Can't shoot, doesn't play D and turns the ball over alot. I think he really believed the hype he got his first year in the NBA when he was considered the next Baron Davis and the media was laughing at the knicks for not drafting him

Philc1

12/12/2020  2:58 PM    LAST EDITED: 12/12/2020  3:01 PM
newyorknewyork wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:^ Frank looked good last night. His on ball and help defense is elite. If someone can't see this then they are blind or Frank did something personal to them.

Thought he looked good as well given his role. Looked faster and more comfortable than we have seen him. Missed the 3 he made but the pull up jumper off the dribble was picture perfect form with full confidence of a ton of reps behind it. The defense doesn’t need to be talked about. But on offense there were times when he was calling the ball carrier to swing the ball to Knox as he was gonna set a pick for him to break free. Dude is a pure team player to the core. Had 7 pts on 2 attempts with 3 ft attempts before missing 3 put backs to push him to 2-5. He even tried to organize a play at the top of the key calling his own number but ended up tripping and falling down. He also split the defense between 3 defenders and almost had a beautiful ally oop to Mitch but miss timed the pass. But how he split the defense is something we’ve never seen Frank do to get inside he teeth of a defense. Still has work to do but this is a game worth him building on. He did fall on the ground like 2 times though along with miss timed passes. Gotta clean that up.

The knicks pulled away with the game yesterday when Frank was in at PG. Bottom line. The guy is a good +/- player even if he's just average offensively. His defense and ability to disrupt passing lanes and change shots will never show up in a stat box.

I don't understand the fascination with Elfrid Payton and this hysteria that the knicks desperately need a PG. Payton can't put the ball in the ocean and is a mediocre at best defender.

NYKBocker
Alba Posts: 474
Member: #377
USA
12/12/2020  3:21 PM
Obi is going to win ROY
Welpee
Member: #6239

12/12/2020  3:41 PM
Philc1 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I'm not sure if playing with joy is the issue. I've always said, he plays like he expected to be anointed greatness by just showing up and putting in the standard amount of work at this level. I think he values "ohhs and ahhhs" from his peers and the crowd more than he values wins. It may be unfair but that's how it looks from the outside looking in to me.

DSJ looked ok last night but he has no role on a winning team. Can't shoot, doesn't play D and turns the ball over alot. I think he really believed the hype he got his first year in the NBA when he was considered the next Baron Davis and the media was laughing at the knicks for not drafting him

I think it started before the NBA, like when people were telling him he'd be the first pick in the draft pre-ACL injury if he could enter the league straight from H.S.
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/12/2020  3:42 PM
NYKBocker wrote:Obi is going to win ROY

I think national writers like screwing withe Knicks. He'll probably get voted to All Rookie second team and lose out to some dude who put up really good efficiency stats while playing 8 minutes a game.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
12/12/2020  3:48 PM
I drove 45 min last night to watch this pre season game

I’ve been staying in my vacation house during Covid and I don’t get Msg here— had to drive to another home I have in Ct to see game. I’ve used hehe streams here( thanks to crushalot) but it was having troubles getting games. I jumped in car drove 45 min across state to watch it.

RIP Crushalot😞
houston20
Member: #8797

12/12/2020  4:04 PM
I think almost everybody play solid for the knicks last night the young guys had there moments frank,knox,dsj,obi and rj played well.I thought randle,payton,burks, and noel played solid for the most part. Mitch is still fouling like crazy person and didn't score field goal was very disappointing overall not good first game.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
12/12/2020  4:16 PM
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
12/12/2020  5:14 PM

Freaked me out the first time I saw Amare live. He jumped then seemed to accelerate in mid air. Hard to describe.
When Amare ran, even half speed after a basket his feet barely touched the ground. He seemed to just glide about. God gives you that. Few players had that.
As for who is the PG? Who cares. If you play good defense the advantage is to move back on offense in transition. You got the ball, you go!!!! Missed basket and defensive rebound go!!! Half court offense, your best player not a 5 is point. Frank can guard three positions. He need not be the PG on offense all the time. GOt a Trae young, Steph, morant, yes, you give him the ball.
HofstraBBall
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #6192

12/12/2020  7:38 PM
Philc1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:
Philc1 wrote:
HofstraBBall wrote:

Thibs is the 4th coach that does not see Frank as a starting PG? Why? Even worse, if the first game is any indication, he does not think he is even a PG. Why?

And he's the third coach in a row who thinks Randle should start at PF - even ahead of Obi this time.

Give it time, he will eventually realize Frank is the best +/- player on the roster besides Mitch

Randle was our best player last year. So yeah makes sense to start him. As much as I hate him handling the ball still feel that is the right move. Obi may be, but one game vs Detroit does not erase Randle's proven production. As for Frank, I hope so. Just getting to the point the whole "Just wat and see" rant is getting old. Frank and Dennis have to step up and become above average PG's that have more impact or else its time to try someone else at PG. Frank can always be a solid bench role player.

The problem with making Randle your featured player on offense is he's a losing player. He can't shoot 3's, dribbles way too much and you even saw last night the spin move turnover stuff everyone keeps complaining about.

That doesn't mean Randle can't have a role on a competitive team but more likely that role should be coming off the bench as an energy guy. I don't hate Randle like a lot of knicks fans do. He fills a stat box, is a good low post scorer and is a decent mid-range shooter but Obi needs to start I think we have something special in him and if he gets starter minutes this year he could be in competition for ROY

Do not think Randle is good enough to be a featured player on most teams. He is a good guy to plug down on the block. Does not change that he is our best player. Right now. More indicative of where the Knicks need to ascend to than how good Randle is. I like Obi. Wanted him as our pick. Hoping he becomes a star.

'Knicks focus should be on players that have grown up playing soccer or cricket' - Triplethreat 8/28/2020
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

12/13/2020  8:35 AM
I have league pass, MSG, NBATV. And I still couldnt watch the freaking game. They're replaying the next one on NBATV around 3am pst. Going to TIVO it.

One thing I read was that RJ had an awful first half, but a good second half. RJ showed this ability last season. To not let a bad start get to him. Some players have trouble getting out of a rough patch. Good quality to have, especially in the playoffs.

ccch
Member: #3876

12/13/2020  9:42 AM
Was hoping to see Immanuel Quickley... for close to 50 % 3 pt. shooter and a 1st round pick I thought he would get some time.
knicks1248
Member: #582
12/13/2020  10:56 AM
GustavBahler wrote:I have league pass, MSG, NBATV. And I still couldnt watch the freaking game. They're replaying the next one on NBATV around 3am pst. Going to TIVO it.

One thing I read was that RJ had an awful first half, but a good second half. RJ showed this ability last season. To not let a bad start get to him. Some players have trouble getting out of a rough patch. Good quality to have, especially in the playoffs.

Strikeout.nu

Never miss or pay for another live sporting event. Just know that you will be redirected the first few times you click,

ES
martin
USA
12/13/2020  12:52 PM
Keep your mask on!! But this tickled me just a little bit

Preseason and he is getting after it

martin
USA
12/13/2020  12:54 PM
Also, Obi is going to be the Point Forward Randle only wishes he could be?
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
12/13/2020  1:26 PM
Jmpasq wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Yeah. I like it. Frank, DSjr, Knox, Obi, Mitch lineup was good. RJ settled down. Noel is a good center.

Randle and Payton needs to go.

Watching Noel is giving me perspective on what we have with Mitch. He might just be middle of the road center.
the difference is on the perimeter. Small fast guards will blow by Noel or beat him 1-1. Mitch can hang with small players on switches. He's a much quicker and more explosive athlete than Noel, but their games are very similar. Also consider NN has been around the NBA awhile and Mitch has two years under the tutelage of Fizdale and Mike Miller.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

12/13/2020  1:53 PM
fishmike wrote:
Jmpasq wrote:
NYKBocker wrote:Yeah. I like it. Frank, DSjr, Knox, Obi, Mitch lineup was good. RJ settled down. Noel is a good center.

Randle and Payton needs to go.

Watching Noel is giving me perspective on what we have with Mitch. He might just be middle of the road center.
the difference is on the perimeter. Small fast guards will blow by Noel or beat him 1-1. Mitch can hang with small players on switches. He's a much quicker and more explosive athlete than Noel, but their games are very similar. Also consider NN has been around the NBA awhile and Mitch has two years under the tutelage of Fizdale and Mike Miller.

I hope watching Noel empowers Mitch to shoot the short range J and to be able to take two dribbles. Those skills alone will propel Mitch to the next level.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Finally! We got hoops!!!! Friday night vs. the Pistons 7pm/MSG

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy