[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

A true leader is emerging in N.Y......
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/19/2004  11:19 AM
The world couldn't wait for that day, but folks, it is finally here. Marburry is beginning to prove that he is the man. His comments about Houston, his embracement of his team-mates, and his desire to win the big game is now surfacing.

Can you smell what may be happening with Knicks??? I smell championship.
The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/19/2004  11:29 AM
you crack me up. How old are you?
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
USA
10/19/2004  11:38 AM
Why??? I am not entitled to believe on my home team?

quote]
Posted by fishmike:

[/quote]
fishmike
USA
10/19/2004  11:57 AM
nope... your not allowed. I forbid it
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/19/2004  12:16 PM
Posted by diderotn:

The world couldn't wait for that day, but folks, it is finally here. Marburry is beginning to prove that he is the man. His comments about Houston, his embracement of his team-mates, and his desire to win the big game is now surfacing.

He's proving HE's the man by saying Houston is the man? Huh? What are you talking about? There is no way this team wins a championship without a shotblocking, athletic big. Marbury has all the good intention in the world, but let's see how he reacts if his precious averages of 20 ppg and 8apg are endangered by Crawford's need for the ball.
¿ △ ?
PooPooPrince
Member: #719
10/19/2004  12:33 PM
What hes trying to say is Stephon has got the right attitude. Despite being the best player on the team he still defers to Houston which shows what Stephon is all about : winning

blah blah blah athletic big..how old r u..stuff

it doesn't take a 4 year old to figure that out
Posted by crzymdups:
Posted by diderotn:

He's proving HE's the man by saying Houston is the man? Huh? What are you talking about? There is no way this team wins a championship without a shotblocking, athletic big. Marbury has all the good intention in the world, but let's see how he reacts if his precious averages of 20 ppg and 8apg are endangered by Crawford's need for the ball.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2004  12:36 PM
Marbs showed a lot by backing houstan.

Whether it was orchestrated by THE Father or not, at least he did it, or is learning that true leaders don't just scowl and yell when things don't go wrong, but take ownership for the bad, and compliment when it goes right. Leaders on the court must learn to be trusted in the lockerroom and on the floor.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/19/2004  12:38 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Why??? I am not entitled to believe on my home team?

quote]
Posted by fishmike:

[/quote]

Didrotn got the blinders on, bleeds orange and blue, and drinks the sweetstuff by the gallon every day. And no body gonna ruin it for him!

Dyed in the wool to the bone wearing it on your sleave you are a fan!

And thats cool!
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/19/2004  12:39 PM
Marbury seems to have the right attitude off the court, but I still question his play on in the court.

I still saw several times in the 2 preseason games where he took the ball up the court and shot his own jumper early in the 24 second clock. Totally uncalled for. As a PG he has got to look for TT, Kurt and Craw early and often, and then look for his own shot.

Marbury's own shots will come, and they should come a little more often now that Craw is in there and is also willing to pass the ball, but he has to find a way to involve all of the other players. I just didn't see that from him in the 2 first games.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
fishmike
USA
10/19/2004  12:55 PM
nobody wants Marbs, Craw and everyone else on this roster to suceed more than myself. I have no problem with Marbury looking for his own shot early either. I have seen him open up the game on a tear, and thats made it ultra easy to get teammates involved because the defense starts to key on Marbury.

I would love to see Marbury play tougher on D. He can be suffocating for stretches.. but then clearly takes plays off. This is where getting his minutes down to the 35-38 range can really help him and help the team.

I hope Marbury does lead us to something great. 2 preseason games is a bit premature for me to sit here say "ok... now he's arrived."

Our opening schedule is very tough.. lets see him LEAD us to a 12-6 start. I like the direction of our team VERY much, but Steph has a LOT to prove.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/19/2004  12:56 PM
Yeah steph still has a lot to learn, he is awesome but he seems to be at his best when he is controlling the game and he is doing the scoring - he needs to learn that having TT, Craw, H20 and KT around him is a plus and they should be heavily involved in the shot taking. This team has the right ingredients to win games, but to get to the next level it will take steph learning a lot about distributing and being slefless.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/19/2004  1:01 PM
Posted by martin:

Marbury seems to have the right attitude off the court, but I still question his play on in the court.

I still saw several times in the 2 preseason games where he took the ball up the court and shot his own jumper early in the 24 second clock. Totally uncalled for. As a PG he has got to look for TT, Kurt and Craw early and often, and then look for his own shot.

Marbury's own shots will come, and they should come a little more often now that Craw is in there and is also willing to pass the ball, but he has to find a way to involve all of the other players. I just didn't see that from him in the 2 first games.

I agree but Damn! . . . look at the mixed messages this man has heard his entire life and continues to hear - pass first, but bail us the F out with the shot when we need you to. Look at what he's most known for as his greatest NBA achievement - the 4th quarter 3-fest with AI in the All-Star game that brought the East back. Look at this summer when everyones's favorite so-called genius Larry Brown beat the s**t ouit of him to "pass 1st - pass 1st" until the genius realized none of those clowns could hit anything so he implored Steph to bail him out with the shot and the drive in the medal rounds. I'm sure he's being coached on point guard leadership by "the Father" but I think Dad wants him going after those points plenty, as does the "Holy Ghost" - Lenny.
diderotn
USA
10/19/2004  1:10 PM
Some may think that Diderotn is crazy, but I am here to tell you that as an ex-soldier whom has taken part in two wars, and led soldiers to combat, I know a thing or two about leadership. To be a leader, you have to be able to pursuade and motivate your subordinates. The little comments that he made about Houston could prove to be very valuable when and if Houston ever recovers from his injuries. Earning the respect of subordinates is easy. You have to show them that you believe in them. that is exactly what Marburry has been instructed to do, and he is doing so. isiah and Lenny will both teach Marburry a few things about leadership.

Agree with me or not, I still believe that Marburry has finally reached his stardom. You take a sit and watch. Kidd was the same way when he turned 28.
fishmike
USA
10/19/2004  1:22 PM
Posted by diderotn:

Some may think that Diderotn is crazy, but I am here to tell you that as an ex-soldier whom has taken part in two wars, and led soldiers to combat, I know a thing or two about leadership. To be a leader, you have to be able to pursuade and motivate your subordinates. The little comments that he made about Houston could prove to be very valuable when and if Houston ever recovers from his injuries. Earning the respect of subordinates is easy. You have to show them that you believe in them. that is exactly what Marburry has been instructed to do, and he is doing so. isiah and Lenny will both teach Marburry a few things about leadership.

Agree with me or not, I still believe that Marburry has finally reached his stardom. You take a sit and watch. Kidd was the same way when he turned 28.
thats all good and nice, but Marbury isnt surrounded by subordinates, he's surrounded by peers. And the way you lead your peers is to excell individualy AND make your team better in doing so. Marbury has already proven the individual greatness, but he hasnt taken a group of his peers and made them better (yet). I do think this is a good system and situation for him to suceed in doing so. But it hasnt happened yet. Are we seeing the start of it? Hell... I hope we are.
PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/19/2004  1:30 PM
Starbury can lead all he wants, but without a decent big man we're not making it out of the second round.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
diderotn
USA
10/19/2004  1:32 PM
Fish! I should be asking you how old you are What is wrong with you? No team wins in this league if all the players are equal. Simple question for you, are all your fingers the same length? If they are, than I can understand your theory. However, IMO Marburry's subordinates are as follow: Crawff, TT, Sweetney, Vinny, Ariza, etc. The co-captains are partially equal by virtue of their title. Learn a little something about leadership. Even in a bee society, there is a leader. Why do you think that they have a queen and a bunch of workers in that society?

thats all good and nice, but Marbury isnt surrounded by subordinates, he's surrounded by peers. And the way you lead your peers is to excell individualy AND make your team better in doing so. Marbury has already proven the individual greatness, but he hasnt taken a group of his peers and made them better (yet). I do think this is a good system and situation for him to suceed in doing so. But it hasnt happened yet. Are we seeing the start of it? Hell... I hope we are.
[/quote]
bernard
Member: #475
10/19/2004  1:49 PM
I agree with Diderotn that Marbury's praise of H20 is very encouraging. At the very least, it shows he takes being a leader seriously and is thoughtful enough to say the right thing when it needs to be said.

When he got traded to the Knicks last year, I was a bit disappointed that it took him a few days to try to clear the air with KVH in the press. KVH is a flawed player, I'm not defending him, but when you're traded to a team that has a player on it who you've trashed in the press, you need to publicly mend fences. Marbury eventually did say KVH's game had gotten much better and he couldn't wait to play w/ him, blah, blah, blah. But in that case it felt like Marbs was instructed to say the right thing, because it took 2 or 3 days. Here, I'm reading it like he took it on itself to defend Marbs after he got booed.

None of this means Marbury will all of a sudden be a great leader on the court, but it's promising.
fishmike
USA
10/19/2004  2:15 PM
try telling Houston, TT, Kurt or Nazr that they are subordinates of Marbury. The pecking order is GM, coach, assistant coach and player. If Marbury wants to lead and wants players to follow him he has to prove to them that doing so is worth it, because the onle thing Marbury has over the rest of his peers right now is a bigger paycheck.
Learn a little something about leadership.
I know plenty.. and I know when someone assumes the mantle of leadership without proving they are worthy of it that person usually winds up in a bad situation that hurts their team.

When Marbury proves he can lead (by winning) the players will follow. They will lean on him. What has Marbury proved so far? He's rich and can compile great stats? Does that inpire confidence? Does that inspire "subordinates" to put the team first and sacrifice?

Learn a little about reality

[Edited by - fishmike on 10/19/2004 14:20:13]
tkf
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #87
10/19/2004  2:23 PM
didetron(sorry for the spelling) I see and understand your enthusiam but fishmike has a point, lets see what steph does on the court, while I do praise him for backing houston, that is just the first of many steps that marbs has to take in his new leadership role... I am excited about these knicks, but we are still a work in progress and championship is a pretty strong word right now..
Anyone who sits around and waits for the lottery to better themselves, either in real life or in sports, Is a Loser............... TKF
fishmike
USA
10/19/2004  2:28 PM
by the way I do think Marbs is saying all the right things, and what I like even more is I think he means them.

Its going to be VERY hard to beat anyone in round 2 with our current frontcourt. A team like Indy or Det would beat us in a 7 game series... no ifs or buts.
A true leader is emerging in N.Y......

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy