Trade Talks Heating Up!
Author Thread
Knixkik
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #11
USA
1/20/2002  10:30 AM
From NYPost.

January 20, 2002 -- PHILADELPHIA - Knicks GM Scott Layden may have been at Jim Dolan's wedding in Florida yesterday, but his cell phone certainly was on. Yesterday, Golden State center Marc Jackson became available to be traded - an important event that executives believe might lead to a blockbuster deal that will open the trade floodgates.
But Layden has made inquiries all over the place and not just for big men. The GM has spoken to the Nuggets about unhappy point guard Nick Van Exel. Denver wants want back one of the Knicks' Big 3 - either Marcus Camby, Allan Houston or Latrell Sprewell - but Layden is not quite ready to get that desperate.

Layden has spoken to the Warriors not just about Jackson but also power forward Danny Fortson and Adonal Foyle. The Knicks could have stolen Fortson from Boston for Chris Childs and $3 million back in the summer of 2000.

"They've been as aggressive as any team in the league in talking," one league executive said. "They're at the top of the list. . . . But they got a team that's hard to make a deal with because of the contracts."

Layden has targeted Portland's Rasheed Wallace and may be willing to part with two of his Big 3 plus Houston if he can get back someone such as Bonzi Wells.

The Knicks like Denver center Raef LaFrentz, but the Nuggets are looking for a standout big man in return and the Knicks have yet to offer Camby.

The Knicks also have talked to the Bucks about giving up Camby and Charlie Ward - two of Milwaukee GM Ernie Grunfeld's favorites - for Tim Thomas and second-year center Joel Pryzbilla.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I like the idea of Nick Van Exel and probably would be willing to part with Sprewell and someone like Jackson if we could get Lenard or Posey in return as well as Van Exel.

Marc Jackson, Adonal Foyle, and Danny Fortson would all be great pick-ups, but if we were to have to get rid of one of the big three i probably wouldn't do it. I would consider trading Sprewell if they offered Hughes or Richardson in addition to one of those three big men.

I don't want to trade Camby and either Houston or Sprewell for Wallace and Wells because once again we are left without a good center. I would trade Sprewell and Thomas or Harrington for Wallace, but i would go much further than that.

Also i would not trade Camby and Ward for Thomas and Pryzbilla because we don't need Thomas and once again we are left without a good center at least until Pryzbilla develops. I like Camby to much to trade him in a deal like this.

I have also heard from different boards the Knicks are talking with Memphis about a deal that would involve Pau Gasol or Shane Battie and extras for Sprewell and Thomas or something like that. Also, Sprewell in a deal to chicago for their top draft picks wouldn't be a bad idea either.

[Edited by - Knixkik on 01/20/2002 10:31:15]
AUTOADVERT
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
1/20/2002  12:41 PM
We don't need a huge trade, after watching yesterday's game, Spree and Houston both showed up and scored a combined 50+ points and the team can't win. Their supporting cast is awful and they need somebody who starts with them to average @ least 15 points, which is why I say start Harrington, because Thomas and Weatherspoon off the bench isn't half bad, Thomas provides D and Spoon with a little of both, but this teams bench is awful.
#Knickstaps
falcindor
Member: #42
USA
1/21/2002  8:40 AM
Thats the problem how can u have the the starting backcourt score 58 point and LOSE. Our front court stinks. We can get a good front court player unless we give one our big backcourt players.
Fritz Alcindor Jr. *FUTURE KNICK GM* falcindor@hotmail.com
Trade Talks Heating Up!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy