[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

After Watching Jerome Williams get a tech for hangin on the rim...........
Author Thread
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/18/2004  1:48 AM
I was thinking.... That is the stupidest rule in the NBA and the way the league discourages the players from celebrating and taunting after big plays really takes away from the game... does anyone else agree?

I mean sure, if someone gets totally gross about it and over does it, give em a tech... but ****... you got to let them have some fun, get emotional, get the fans into it.. i dont understand how u can discourage celebration

if we had players talkin more trash, celebrating, and getting their emotions into the games more, you would have more rivalries like back in the day, which makes the game worth watching.... you need emotions for the game to be entertaining so why the hell do they penelize it???

lets write the nba a letter, i want to see more knicks/heat type rivalries!!!!! and more JYD rim hangin yellin in faces DUNKS!!!!!!
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/18/2004  9:17 AM
you have to draw a line somewhere...he can get emotional & get the crowd into it w/o hanging on the rim...they don't issue tech's for yelling after a dunk & posturing to the crowd really...as long as you're not taunting the opposing players...the hanging on the rim thing can go either way, depending on the way he does it, but it's not really necessary, so why do it? you can't selectively enforce a rule like that...if you're going to have the rule, you have to universally enforce it.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/18/2004  9:50 AM
I dont want the league to go any further to becoming an extension of "And 1".

What the NBA needs to do is let players practice for more than 3 hours a day in camp,get players more interested in improving their shooting pct than their "and 1" moves and becoming better passers as well and running less Isos.

I watched a preseason game the other night,it easily could have been a regular season game.It was nothing but a brickfest with most of the points coming on putbacks.Thats what is putting fans to sleep,not because there isnt enough hanging on the rim or trash talking.
Bizzy211
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #601
USA
10/18/2004  10:05 AM
Posted by TMS:

you have to draw a line somewhere...he can get emotional & get the crowd into it w/o hanging on the rim...they don't issue tech's for yelling after a dunk & posturing to the crowd really...as long as you're not taunting the opposing players...the hanging on the rim thing can go either way, depending on the way he does it, but it's not really necessary, so why do it? you can't selectively enforce a rule like that...if you're going to have the rule, you have to universally enforce it.

I think they should just do away wit' the rule, or atleast let them hang for no more than 3 seconds.

[Edited by - Bizzy211 on 10/18/2004 10:06:35]
Bizzy Shadyville, NY **soundcloud.com/Bizzy211**
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/18/2004  10:09 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

I dont want the league to go any further to becoming an extension of "And 1".
This is a good point. I still think hanging on the rim is not a big deal but it would lead to further antics.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Bizzy211
USA
10/18/2004  10:18 AM
People wasn't shouting about the league becoming "And 1" when the likes of Shaq (who was breaking the rim way back when), Barkley, Kemp, and Robinson were doing it. That's because most of yall didn't know about And 1 then, or yet alone, the Rucker games. Now that people have something to compare it to, they use it to death.
Kwazimodal
10/18/2004  10:37 AM
Posted by Bizzy211:

People wasn't shouting about the league becoming "And 1" when the likes of Shaq (who was breaking the rim way back when), Barkley, Kemp, and Robinson were doing it. That's because most of yall didn't know about And 1 then, or yet alone, the Rucker games. Now that people have something to compare it to, they use it to death.

I hope you werent refering to me.Growing up in NYC in the 70s,I knew about Rucker probably before you were born.As for And1,who didnt know about it?Their mix tapes have been around for years Way back when Shaq was breaking the rim? It wasnt that long ago.

Players have been dunking going back decades but guys like Barkley and Robinson could actually shoot the ball,so could ,Jordan,Malone and too many other players to mention.Today in the highlights on the networks all you see is dunks because they cant show all the bricks that are being put up by guys who are more concerned about dunks then hitting a jumper,maybe you are too young to remember a time when a guy like Houston wasnt a rarity.

The league knows kids are buying up those mix tapes by the millions and want to show that the league has their own ballers.The only thing beaten to death in this league is dunking.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2004  10:55 AM
I love this league but its bush as it is... the game of basketball is a thing of beauty when played well. You dont need to hang on the rim to make it better.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I subscribe to the notion of acting like you have been there before. Its one thing when you hit a monster shot... Houston's floater in the lane against Mia, Ewing's jumper over Zo, the Starks dunk, LJs 4 point play... of course your going to raise your hands, pump your fists and run down the court. Our standards have so painfully plummeted in recent years. I just want to get back to winning.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2004  10:59 AM
That is the stupidest rule in the NBA and the way the league discourages the players from celebrating and taunting after big plays really takes away from the game

It preseason... its not a big play. Isnt winning enough? Its about the game and its about winning. The only thing I dont like about those kinds of rules is that you need them in the first place. NFL is even worse... its pathetic
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/18/2004  1:44 PM
Dick and K-Mart was hanging on the rim and over celebrating for 3 years.....the NBA treats that rule with as much consistancy as a foul.

Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Bizzy211
USA
10/18/2004  2:28 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

[quote]Posted by Bizzy211:

I hope you werent refering to me.Growing up in NYC in the 70s,I knew about Rucker probably before you were born.As for And1,who didnt know about it?Their mix tapes have been around for years Way back when Shaq was breaking the rim? It wasnt that long ago.

Players have been dunking going back decades but guys like Barkley and Robinson could actually shoot the ball,so could ,Jordan,Malone and too many other players to mention.Today in the highlights on the networks all you see is dunks because they cant show all the bricks that are being put up by guys who are more concerned about dunks then hitting a jumper,maybe you are too young to remember a time when a guy like Houston wasnt a rarity.

The league knows kids are buying up those mix tapes by the millions and want to show that the league has their own ballers.The only thing beaten to death in this league is dunking.

So are you gonna stand proud, tall, mighty and say that because you know of it everyone else knows about it? Come on man. This isn't a praise Kwazi for his age thread. I merely stated a general/open statement. There are alot of people refering to the NBA as rucker/street type ball.

But if you really think about it, alot of those same people didn't become familiar with it until the last 3-4 years. And what does shooting have to do with hanging on the rim. You didn't stay on topic here. I mentioned Shaq (as well as the other guys) because they used to hang on the rim alot. I remember when Shaq broke the whole hoop (not just the glass) by hanging on the rim. I don't care (in this thread) if anyone can shoot or not. It's about hanging on the rim. Get on topic.
Kwazimodal
10/18/2004  3:43 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by Bizzy211:

[quote]I hope you werent refering to me.Growing up in NYC in the 70s,I knew about Rucker probably before you were born.As for And1,who didnt know about it?Their mix tapes have been around for years Way back when Shaq was breaking the rim? It wasnt that long ago.

So are you gonna stand proud, tall, mighty and say that because you know of it everyone else knows about it? Come on man. This isn't a praise Kwazi for his age thread. I merely stated a general/open statement. There are alot of people refering to the NBA as rucker/street type ball.

But if you really think about it, alot of those same people didn't become familiar with it until the last 3-4 years. And what does shooting have to do with hanging on the rim. You didn't stay on topic here. I mentioned Shaq (as well as the other guys) because they used to hang on the rim alot. I remember when Shaq broke the whole hoop (not just the glass) by hanging on the rim. I don't care (in this thread) if anyone can shoot or not. It's about hanging on the rim. Get on topic.

Sorry,but you arent making any sense.I disagree with the original post and write about how dunks are being overblown as it is and I dont want the league to get any closer to and1 type of play that emphasizes style over substance,that ignores the fundamentals like actually making a jump shot and you come back implying that people that talk about and1 and rucker just heard about it recently:

"People wasn't shouting about the league becoming "And 1" when the likes of Shaq (who was breaking the rim way back when), Barkley, Kemp, and Robinson were doing it. That's because most of yall didn't know about And 1 then, or yet alone, the Rucker games. Now that people have something to compare it to, they use it to death."

Since Im the only one here who mentioned And1 in this thread,it isnt unreasonable to believe that you are talking about me.I responded the way I did because I dont believe you are old enough to be telling me about Rucker.Thats your fault for implying that I just heard of streeball.

My post was on topic because I explained why I dont want to see any more of an emphasis on dunking.Many players years back,not necessarily great ones could dunk but they could also do other things,thats why people didnt complain back then because they had different facets to their game.Even Shaq,who cant shoot very well can play D,find the open man and even had a good handle for a big man.

Alot of players coming into the league today can do nothing but dunk.Thats why giving one dimensional players even more time to
show off a minor part of the game is a bad idea.If they spent more time emphasizing shooting skills over who can make the most outrageous dunk like with And1,the game would be alot better.Alot of NBA players today are frustrated And1 ballers.

They used to have And1 as early as the 1920s,It was called the Harlem Globetrotters.Kids knew it was just entertainment back then but today they are buying into the And1 hype like its the way the game should be played.Emphasizing style over substance wont change that.
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/18/2004  3:49 PM
i like and 1...

like i said, i wouldent want it to be too much... but wat jerome did was not too much at all, **** like that should be tolerated
Bizzy211
USA
10/18/2004  4:14 PM
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by Bizzy211:
Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by Bizzy211:

[quote]I hope you werent refering to me.Growing up in NYC in the 70s,I knew about Rucker probably before you were born.As for And1,who didnt know about it?Their mix tapes have been around for years Way back when Shaq was breaking the rim? It wasnt that long ago.

Sorry,but you arent making any sense.I disagree with the original post and write about how dunks are being overblown as it is and I dont want the league to get any closer to and1 type of play that emphasizes style over substance,that ignores the fundamentals like actually making a jump shot and you come back implying that people that talk about and1 and rucker just heard about it recently:

"People wasn't shouting about the league becoming "And 1" when the likes of Shaq (who was breaking the rim way back when), Barkley, Kemp, and Robinson were doing it. That's because most of yall didn't know about And 1 then, or yet alone, the Rucker games. Now that people have something to compare it to, they use it to death."

Since Im the only one here who mentioned And1 in this thread,it isnt unreasonable to believe that you are talking about me.I responded the way I did because I dont believe you are old enough to be telling me about Rucker.Thats your fault for implying that I just heard of streeball.

My post was on topic because I explained why I dont want to see any more of an emphasis on dunking.Many players years back,not necessarily great ones could dunk but they could also do other things,thats why people didnt complain back then because they had different facets to their game.Even Shaq,who cant shoot very well can play D,find the open man and even had a good handle for a big man.

Alot of players coming into the league today can do nothing but dunk.Thats why giving one dimensional players even more time to
show off a minor part of the game is a bad idea.If they spent more time emphasizing shooting skills over who can make the most outrageous dunk like with And1,the game would be alot better.Alot of NBA players today are frustrated And1 ballers.

They used to have And1 as early as the 1920s,It was called the Harlem Globetrotters.Kids knew it was just entertainment back then but today they are buying into the And1 hype like its the way the game should be played.Emphasizing style over substance wont change that.

"They used to have And1 as early as the 1920s,It was called the Harlem Globetrotters." I find this hilarious. This is a prime example of how much you don't know. The "And 1" and "Harlem Globetrotters" are different teams. The And 1 team and tournament is commisioned by the sporting goods company And 1. No they didn't have And 1 back then. If the name converted like you said, then why do we still have a Globetrotters team?

And so what if you were the only person who mention that in this thread. You don't count for majority. Once again, I had mentioned an open/general statement because I have heard it more times than alot. To clarify some more; I am not talking about on this thread only. There is a world out there away from this thread. Look outside your window.

And only to prove you don't know what you are talking about, here is a link about the History of the And 1. http://www.hoopsworld.com/article_7796.shtml I suggest all other readers pay attention to how some people speak as if they know what they are talking about and think that because they are older... they are correct. Obviously you need to read up son.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/18/2004  4:27 PM
"They used to have And1 as early as the 1920s,It was called the Harlem Globetrotters." I find this hilarious. This is a prime example of how much you don't know.
My guess is that whoever said that was just joking because there are some similarities
Bizzy211
USA
10/18/2004  4:34 PM
If he was only joking then I apologize, but if you read his whole post, there was any room for joking. Let's put it this way... I seriously hope he was joking. I could not believe that comment was made.
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/18/2004  4:35 PM
Ok, this may be off topic but let's get something straight here. There is a reason why a lot of young kids in the NBA don't shoot as well. There are actually a number of reasons.

One, players now-a-days that are 6-9 through 7 feet play facing up to the basket. It seems like the back to the basket players are fading away. So, for some reason, every other team wants to get a KG type of player. One that can face up and go off the dribble.

Two, anyone here who grew up playing streetball in the NYC (or any other place) know that mostof the backboards are iron and the rims have no nets. Ok, now I think there are a lot of BBall fans here. So we should all know that it is twice as hard to learn to shoot through the hoop when there is no rim. Well, maybe not twice as hard. But when you go to a gym with a nice glass backboard and a rim with a net that;'s when you can shoot 3's all day long. Even the plexigass backboard and iron backboard make a difference with your touch. A netless rim is hard to aim at consistantly.

So, SOME of these young guys played mostly on the streetcourts. That's why most young players have developed moves that can get them all the way to the netless basket. And/or develop moves that will put them in a position where they could dunk the ball. This is my theory as to why a lot of our young players don't develop a consistant shot until they actually reach college and for the most part, the NBA/

This is just MY theory.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I decided to post it while I was thinking about it.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
Bizzy211
USA
10/18/2004  4:41 PM
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

Ok, this may be off topic but let's get something straight here. There is a reason why a lot of young kids in the NBA don't shoot as well. There are actually a number of reasons.

One, players now-a-days that are 6-9 through 7 feet play facing up to the basket. It seems like the back to the basket players are fading away. So, for some reason, every other team wants to get a KG type of player. One that can face up and go off the dribble.

Two, anyone here who grew up playing streetball in the NYC (or any other place) know that mostof the backboards are iron and the rims have no nets. Ok, now I think there are a lot of BBall fans here. So we should all know that it is twice as hard to learn to shoot through the hoop when there is no rim. Well, maybe not twice as hard. But when you go to a gym with a nice glass backboard and a rim with a net that;'s when you can shoot 3's all day long. Even the plexigass backboard and iron backboard make a difference with your touch. A netless rim is hard to aim at consistantly.

So, SOME of these young guys played mostly on the streetcourts. That's why most young players have developed moves that can get them all the way to the netless basket. And/or develop moves that will put them in a position where they could dunk the ball. This is my theory as to why a lot of our young players don't develop a consistant shot until they actually reach college and for the most part, the NBA/

This is just MY theory.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I decided to post it while I was thinking about it.

Well it's off topic for the creater of this thread, but check it out. I used to play alot of streetball before joining the military. I was a very good shooter and, like you said, I did play daily on those rims with no nets (I was surprised you mentioned this. Good reference). But that doesn't degrade you skills as a shooter. It makes you better. Every person coming in the NBA isn't from New York. These guys can't shoot because they haven't trained to shoot. When you are a shooter, you don't worry about anything else but shooting. There are many, many guys who can shoot but sadly as we know, most of them suffer from poor education and alot are into drugs. This is reality. Rims with no nets are just a poor excuse. Most guys who play streetball can't dunk anyway so the have to shoot.

[Edited by - Bizzy211 on 10/18/2004 16:43:56]
Kwazimodal
10/18/2004  4:58 PM
Ive tried to be civil,but I dont need some toddler who wasnt even a thought when I was playing streetball in NYC lecturing me about NY hoops history.Of course the Harlem Globetrotters are a different team.I was writing that they had flashy basketball back then that was pioneered by the Harlem Globetrotters.Be serious junior.

I went to Globetrotter games as a kid and saw Curly,Marcus,and Meadowlark play at the Garden in the early 70s so Im in more in a postion to know about the team's history than you are.The Globetrotters are still around but And1 are the "new Globetrotters".Do I need to be any clearer than that for you?

As far as denying your implication about my not knowing about Rucker or And1,thats just weak.If you werent including me in a response to my comment about And1 which was the only one on the thread then you should of flat out said it instead of writing "most of "y'all."

I cant believe you actually put that link up OMFG.Thats pretty fing hilarious.Thanks I needed a good laugh but then again most of your posts have the same effect.

TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/18/2004  5:31 PM
Posted by Bizzy211:
Posted by TheloniusMonk:

This is just MY theory.

Well it's off topic for the creater of this thread, but check it out. I used to play alot of streetball before joining the military. I was a very good shooter and, like you said, I did play daily on those rims with no nets (I was surprised you mentioned this. Good reference). But that doesn't degrade you skills as a shooter. It makes you better. Every person coming in the NBA isn't from New York. These guys can't shoot because they haven't trained to shoot. When you are a shooter, you don't worry about anything else but shooting. There are many, many guys who can shoot but sadly as we know, most of them suffer from poor education and alot are into drugs. This is reality. Rims with no nets are just a poor excuse. Most guys who play streetball can't dunk anyway so the have to shoot.

[Edited by - Bizzy211 on 10/18/2004 16:43:56]

I hear you. But I still say that a lot of kids play off the dribble so that they can get a closer look at the basket because of street ball. New York isn't the only areas with no nets. Try California, Baltimore, Atlanta, DC, Va., New Orleans, St. Louis etc. I DO agree that if you can shoot on a rim with no net from long distances it would make you a better shooter. But, I would still have to maintain that it has SOMETHING to do with it.

Plus what you said about NOT getting the training. I agree with that 100%. Most of them don't have YMCA memberships as kids or teachers to show them. So they go based off of what they see NBA and college players do on TV. BUt for the most part, they get their skills from watching the older guys in the neighborhood play and also playing against them. If good enough, you could get into a good highschool program with a nice coach who can educate you about the fundimentals of the game.

But note, in those YMCA's and highschool gyms there are nets lol. Hey, I'm not saying it's a science. I'm just saying that's how I feel.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
After Watching Jerome Williams get a tech for hangin on the rim...........

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy