BigSm00th
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #178
USA
10/16/2004  7:46 PM
Just post your random thoughts here:

From RealGM:
"Preseason Thoughts So Far

After two wins, the Knicks are looking real good. The defensive intensity is up, the younger players are outplaying the veterans, and the team is fastbreaking as well as I've ever seen a Knicks team fastbreak. Here are some other random thoughts:

-It's so nice to see Trevor Ariza, Jamal Crawford, and Mike Sweetney as some of the premiere players in these games. All young and ready to break out and become household names.
-Crawford's worth the money.
-The Knicks might've been better off signing Chris Andersen than Vin Baker. They need a shotblocker and an athletic big to run the floor (Keon Clark would've fit well, but he's been MIA), and Andersen fits that mold perfectly.
-I love having Jamison Brewer at the point, bothering the other team's PG and playing real intense D. Several times he's been in with Crawford and Ariza on the wings, and they've been playing the passing lanes like Deion Sanders. This leads to fast break dunks, something that was prohibited in the Scott Layden era.
-Brewer looks like he could be a Lindsey Hunter-type backup PG (Hunter being Chauncey Billup's backup last year for the NBA Champion Pistons). When he and Crawford play in the backcourt, it's nice because Crawford gets to play the point. Offensively, Brewer is below average, but his defensive intensity and athleticism put him above Moochie Norris and Andre Barret on the depth chart.
-I'd imagine if/when Allan Houston gets back Wilkens could be two teams with vastly different styles. Stephon Marbury, Houston, the Thomas Brothers and either Nazr Mohammed or Baker gives you a nice veteran team, easy scoring options with the pick and roll (with KT) and drive and dishes (to Houston and TT). A 2nd squad of Brewer, Crawford, Ariza, Sweetney, and Nazr/Baker allows a really good fast break team like I mentioned before, with Brewer causing trouble and Crawford and Ariza throwing it down. Sweetney is the most athletic of the big men, in my opinion, and could keep up with these guys. You could obviously mix and match but two units like that would be interesting.
-It'll be interesting to see where Penny Hardaway fits in if Ariza keeps playing as well as he has.
-Really the one pressing need personel-wise is a center who can run and block shots. Mohammed and Baker are both mediocre and bring different strengths to the table, none of them are shot-blocking.
-I wouldn't be surprised if the Knicks start Sweetney and Kurt Thomas and just have Tim Thomas take the jump ball.
-Crawford has an awesome crossover.

I'll bring more thoughts after the Knicks practice tomorrow."
#Knickstaps
AUTOADVERT
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
10/16/2004  8:01 PM
we are so much more athletics, and we dunked!! And to think the only person that actually dunked b4 was shandon, uck.
teslawlo
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #699
USA
10/16/2004  8:14 PM
Wow I'm going to be so surprised to see actual Knicks players dunking until I watch a couple dozen games this year.
I gotta get used to this
http://allknicks.com
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/16/2004  8:29 PM
The Knicks might've been better off signing Chris Andersen than Vin Baker.
The Knicks could have (and probably should have) gotten both. CA was signed to an LLE contract. The Knicks could have at least matched that offer and then CA would have to decide whether he would want to play in against centers in the west in N.O. as Magloire's backup or play against centers in the east in NY and fight with Nazy and Baker for the *starting* spot. Unless he would have a personal reason against NY, the choice would be pretty clear.
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/16/2004  9:20 PM
I wish we couldve signed Chris Mihm w the MLE and taken Vin Baker for the LLE. We'll just have to wait and see what becomes avaialble in terms of big guys OR we'll just use our draft pick + the mLE next year to find something better than NAZR. Its not that Nazr is bad, its just that he really is a back up C/PF.

The one thing that goes unnoticed because we shot so good from the outside[and that doesnt happen all the time] is that Duncan and Nestero were shooting over us at an 80% clip.

I think I can honestly say once Houston comes back--we likely have the best backcourt in the nBA--we just need 1 shot blocker with athletsicm who can also post up and score some.

To bad we have all of these contracts that dont end until 2006. we could use 1 this year. we really have nothing to trade-we cant even trade the pick.
RIP Crushalot😞
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/16/2004  9:22 PM
Relax kids. Our front-court will be just fine. Isiah is still trying to find the right fit for our squad. Give him a little time, you will all be oww, ahhhh, ihhhhh, like you are all with Ariza, Sweetney, and Crawf right now. Isiah has great eyes for talents.
The true Knickabocker..........
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/16/2004  9:55 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
The Knicks might've been better off signing Chris Andersen than Vin Baker.
The Knicks could have (and probably should have) gotten both. CA was signed to an LLE contract. The Knicks could have at least matched that offer and then CA would have to decide whether he would want to play in against centers in the west in N.O. as Magloire's backup or play against centers in the east in NY and fight with Nazy and Baker for the *starting* spot. Unless he would have a personal reason against NY, the choice would be pretty clear.

Andersen grew up in New Orleans and really wanted to sign there. Though, if the Knicks had offered the rest of their MLE ($1.75 million) for 3 years, he might have taken it. Oh well. Hope we can find a guy like that, if we do, this team will be FANTASTIC.
¿ △ ?
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/16/2004  10:10 PM
BRIGGS, you said:
"The one thing that goes unnoticed because we shot so good from the outside[and that doesnt happen all the time] is that Duncan and Nestero were shooting over us at an 80% clip."

First of all, Rasho wasn't shooting OVER anyone. If you were watching, we constantly left him alone at the top of the key for wide open jumpers. He knocked them down. As for Duncan shooting over us, name me one player at the 4 that Tim Duncan doesn't shoot over....and consistantly at that. If he's playing against Detroit, he's shooting (off glass) over Big Ben (as always), Rasheed, McDyess, DC or Campbell. All at the same time if he needs to lol. Run down the entire NBA team rosters and you'll find no one can stop Tim Duncan when he's shooting the ball. When he faces up, you're at his mercy...triple threat. you don't know whether he's going to pass. dribble or shoot.

But come come now, Rasho shooting OVER us all game? I dn't care how tall he is, Rasho rarely shoots over top of anyone. Leave him by himself and you're in trouble.

'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
NineMike2Whiskey
Member: #732
10/16/2004  10:46 PM
Some of my thoughts

I agree with BSmooth IMO Brewer looks more likely to crack the rotation ahead of Norris and Barrett, I like his athleticism and intensity, leave the point to Marbs and Crawford, Brewer can be our pitbull harrassing the opposition's PG.

Ariza has some mad hops, if he cracks the rotation this season, we can seriously consider trading Penny for a valuable commodity.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/17/2004  1:15 AM
I thought Rasho showed some good moves from 12-15 feet away. If he's going to jump hooks and fade away jumpers from the top of the key there's nothing we can do to stop them. Duncan is Duncan. The point is we outplayed their starters and our wing players gave them fits. We worked the glass nicely and forced the action in transition.

Our jumpers were good jumpers and we created a lot of space.

1000% agree we still need an athletic big. I think we are just going to have to wait and package a couple guys with our pick (after we draft a player) to get one.

So it takes a year... my guess is we will still watch some exciting ball along the way :)
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Elite
Alba Posts: 23
Member: #510

10/17/2004  2:26 AM
Everyone looks real good... like seriously everyone.. EXCEPT Nazr... damn he is garbage... Baker loks aiight on offense but his D sucks... we lack D at the center position.. if only we had gotten Dampier.. wow... Nazr is wack.. everyone esle lookin good

STOP SLEEPIN ON KURT without him we have like no inside D

JYD is the man

go knicks
Stevo718
Member: #559
10/17/2004  2:59 AM
Well after these 2 games I must say even though it was exhibition you have to admit Ariza was looking real nice. He was doing a little of everything... dunking, scoring, passing, defending and he's only 19. That dunk was nasty btw. I don't know but I think I'm jumping on the Ariza bandwagon.

Crawford looked real nice too. We got 1, 2, and 3 on lockdown.
Thoughts After Two Games

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy