[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Well it definitely sounds like Ariza will be gone in 1 or 2 years, its sad.
Author Thread
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/18/2004  9:12 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

Did anyone here watch Ariza in college? HOW is it that he averaged only 11PPG against guys who won't even make it to the CBA or NBDL??? He's outperformed his college #s already against guys like Richard Jefferson, Manu Ginobili, and Bruce Bowen. Is it simply that he's improved enormously over the past 6 months? Imagine how dominant he'd be in college this year. I bet he would have been a lottery pick in next year's draft, although he may end up getting a bigger contract in 12 months as an FA than he'd have gotten as a lottery pick anyway.

I few things I picked up about him in college:
-He had bad asthma problems that cut down his PT and effectiveness - even missed a bunch of games I think - till they got his med's straightened out.
-He was definitely not a gunner, and was deferential as a freshman scoring-wise.
-He was seen as a defensive whiz and got a lot of props from that part of his game.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/18/2004  9:17 AM
Maybe he listened to the wrong people?

Now that He is making the team and doing well, its a real big time bet to think he might be a lotto pick. Stick that neck out on the obvious! Wow.

I guess big time evaluaters "know when to hold them, and when to fold them"! Isiah did good, but lets see how he actually does.

Bruce was guarding him? RJ was guarding him? You saw both games? You saw his defensive set ups? How he helped from the week side? Hit all the asssignments? HOw did he move with out the ball? how is his court vision? How did he box out? Was he effective on offensive rebounding? Have that knack for the ball? I assume you saw both games and his minutes, and reviewed the tape.

Oh, he dunked a few times, and I suppose your ready to put him on th olympic team?

How come he only avged 11 pts? I guess the whole basketball world is ignorant and you picked up somthing nobody else did!

GIve it some time man, he is progressing, but running and dunking is not all the game. Remember shooting? And he needs court sense. Everything is faster at this level.

Lets just root for his progress and enjoy it before we stress about resigning him.

Remember, its still the knicks, and he still can get traded! I hope not, but if a trade package comes about for a missing piece, he is toast dude.

Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
10/18/2004  9:49 AM
I love Ariza and his potential but you can't get carried away. I agree Nolad, fans only remember the flashy dunks and thats how they normally rate players. Remeber the extremely bad pass to the other team? Remember the dribble off the foot? Remember the wide open clanks? If it were Shandon fans would be screaming.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2004  10:29 AM
a couple of things...
Teams dont play hard on D in the preseason. Its about getting the offense straight, and getting comfortable with new teammates.

Miles got a 6 year $40mm deal from the Blazers. This coming off a year where he established himself as an excellent defender on the wing, a guy skilled enough to play PG (he did in Cle) and one of the best athletes in the NBA.

Again, Ariza can exceed Miles.. I have no doubt, but teams dont throw lucrative contracts at 20 year old wing players with no jumper. Ask Krause how Eddie Robinson is working out. Teams dont take chances on wing players like that... they are too easy to get. Teams throw money at quality bigmen.

James Posey, Josh Howard, Marquis Daniels, Tawshawn Prince, Bruce Bowen... these guys just arent that hard to get. They are good players and valuable players, but they are arent the kind of guys that teams are lining up to wreck their caps for. The amount of guys that get signed to teams with cap space are few every year.

If Ariza is going to be that good we can give him a 6 year $38mm deal. I hope he is better than Miles... I love his game. He's tough, he's poised and he's fearless. Man, do we need more of that. He looks to throw down a nasty dunk everytime he's moving towards the rim. He's also NOT Gilbert Arenas or Carlos Boozer. He very well could make TT replaceable when he's in his walk year next offseason.

I see nothing but positive scenarios regarding Ariza's future.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/18/2004  10:51 AM
Posted by Andrew:

I love Ariza and his potential but you can't get carried away. I agree Nolad, fans only remember the flashy dunks and thats how they normally rate players. Remeber the extremely bad pass to the other team? Remember the dribble off the foot? Remember the wide open clanks? If it were Shandon fans would be screaming.
I agree; all I'm saying is that if he stayed in college longer (even just one year), I think he'd have the potential to be a lottery pick (maybe around 14th).
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/18/2004  11:38 AM
Posted by Bonn1997:

I agree; all I'm saying is that if he stayed in college longer (even just one year), I think he'd have the potential to be a lottery pick (maybe around 14th).
why? I dont see that at all. He wasnt even high in the 2nd round. You can find a nice player there, it just doesnt happen very often.

Ariza is doing so well because of what's between his ears, and its very tough to scout for that. There are 20 guys that can do what Ariza can do physically that didnt get drafted. Ariza is making it because he's got more dedication and toughness.

Same reason Amare was a horse from day one, and people are still wondering if this will be Kwame's year.

Isiah was smart. He got good skilled players in Marbury and Crawford that make someone like Ariza look very good
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
10/18/2004  2:00 PM
Posted by fishmike:
Posted by Bonn1997:

why? I dont see that at all. He wasnt even high in the 2nd round. You can find a nice player there, it just doesnt happen very often.

Ariza is doing so well because of what's between his ears, and its very tough to scout for that. There are 20 guys that can do what Ariza can do physically that didnt get drafted. Ariza is making it because he's got more dedication and toughness.

Same reason Amare was a horse from day one, and people are still wondering if this will be Kwame's year.

Isiah was smart. He got good skilled players in Marbury and Crawford that make someone like Ariza look very good
Well, most experts thought he'd be a lottery pick if he stayed 2 or 3 more years. You can read almost any good draft analysis to find that. I think he's improved rapidly and would have taken less than 2 years to be a late lottery pick. He even outplayed many mid 1st rd picks in the summer league this year.
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/18/2004  2:10 PM
You have to be an idiot not see the upside in this kid, there going to have no choice but to find minutes for him. He's probably the best defender we have at the 3, and his athletisism fits so well with steph, TT, and JC.

Belive me, he will give penny and a run for PT, & god forbid if penny gets hurt. Plus he's a ball of energy.

ES
Well it definitely sounds like Ariza will be gone in 1 or 2 years, its sad.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy