[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kristaps Porzingis Tore Up His Knee Again.
Author Thread
GT2AM
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #8847

8/29/2020  2:31 PM
KP suffered a torn meniscus in his right knee. Out and will probably need surgery again. https://thesportsrush.com/nba-news-what-happened-to-kristaps-porzingis-why-mavericks-star-is-out-of-series-vs-clippers/
AUTOADVERT
TheGame
Member: #1154
USA
8/30/2020  5:46 PM
I don't wish bad on anyone, but now that his knee is torn, hopefully, he will miss most of next season and Dallas misses the playoffs. It is would be crazy if we ended up with two high lottery picks next season.
Trust the Process
Welpee
Member: #6239

8/30/2020  5:52 PM
TheGame wrote:I don't wish bad on anyone, but now that his knee is torn, hopefully, he will miss most of next season and Dallas misses the playoffs. It is would be crazy if we ended up with two high lottery picks next season.
Doubt he'll be out that long with a torn meniscus.
Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
8/30/2020  6:15 PM
Welpee wrote:
TheGame wrote:I don't wish bad on anyone, but now that his knee is torn, hopefully, he will miss most of next season and Dallas misses the playoffs. It is would be crazy if we ended up with two high lottery picks next season.

Depends on the injury. Believe it or not, my friend tore AND flipped his meniscus. He was never the same again.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
Welpee
Member: #6239

8/30/2020  8:56 PM
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Depends on the injury. Believe it or not, my friend tore AND flipped his meniscus. He was never the same again.

Yep. And not that I'm a world class athlete, but I'd been walking about with a torn meniscus for over 20 years before it got diagnosed. So yeah, it depends.
KnickDanger
Member: #7578

8/30/2020  9:15 PM
Welpee wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Yep. And not that I'm a world class athlete, but I'd been walking about with a torn meniscus for over 20 years before it got diagnosed. So yeah, it depends.

Normally if a player had a meniscus tear there might be a sense of relief that was all it was. The thing here is KP's overall inability to stay in play. This is just another episode.

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/30/2020  10:33 PM
KnickDanger wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

Normally if a player had a meniscus tear there might be a sense of relief that was all it was. The thing here is KP's overall inability to stay in play. This is just another episode.

I think it's more worrisome that this happened on the other knee just months after he was cleared. I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that the load management he was already under still wasn't sufficient. At his height and style of plus it's only going to get worse.

Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

8/30/2020  11:03 PM
BigDaddyG wrote:
KnickDanger wrote:
Welpee wrote:
Allanfan20 wrote:
Welpee wrote:

I think it's more worrisome that this happened on the other knee just months after he was cleared. I'm not a doctor, but I'm guessing that the load management he was already under still wasn't sufficient. At his height and style of plus it's only going to get worse.

Imagine if KP was the number one option.

smackeddog
Member: #883
8/31/2020  3:27 AM    LAST EDITED: 8/31/2020  12:21 PM
From what I remember from Lin, it depends on the type and size of the tear and how it's repaired. Quickest recovery is if meniscus is removed entirely (if the damage is too extensive - very rare), however longer term prognosis is bad as after a few years it leads to arthritis.

Second option is cutting away the torn part (if its small),

Third option is if its stitched up- longest recovery time (a few months) but probably best longer term outlook.

jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
8/31/2020  10:03 AM
I've had both knees done with option two, paring away the damaged part. It sucks and not only leads to worsened arthritis, but the knee's stability is never the same.
At 7'3, his lateral movement is going to be decreasing now even at this age.

Pity. Too bad Cuban's not going to manage to get that lightning-in-a-bottle chip again.

Still sucks for our draft pick, because Luka will drag them to the playoffs every year by his lonesome, anyway.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
8/31/2020  10:40 AM
jrodmc wrote:I've had both knees done with option two, paring away the damaged part. It sucks and not only leads to worsened arthritis, but the knee's stability is never the same.

Pity. Too bad Cuban's not going to manage to get that lightning-in-a-bottle chip again.

Still sucks for our draft pick, because Luka will drag them to the playoffs every year by his lonesome, anyway.

You would hope that by the time those picks come around we would already be a EC contender.

None of those picks were going to ever be as high as the (#4=KP) pick we gave up.

Thats why I could never be upset with KP, it's was like they traded a Porche for Honda just because the Porche wasn't running right and you couldn't figure out how to fix it, and to make matters worse, the Honda has its on set of problems and barely runs.

ES
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
8/31/2020  10:44 AM
knicks1248 wrote:
jrodmc wrote:I've had both knees done with option two, paring away the damaged part. It sucks and not only leads to worsened arthritis, but the knee's stability is never the same.

You would hope that by the time those picks come around we would already be a EC contender.

None of those picks were going to ever be as high as the (#4=KP) pick we gave up.

Thats why I could never be upset with KP, it's was like they traded a Porche for Honda just because the Porche wasn't running right and you couldn't figure out how to fix it, and to make matters worse, the Honda has its on set of problems and barely runs.

if it wasnt for the Porche/Honda comparison I would have no idea whats happening with this. Thanks bud
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/31/2020  11:54 AM
smackeddog wrote:From what I remember from Lin, it depends on the type and size of the tear and how it's repaired. Quickest recovery is if meniscus is removed entirely (if the dame is too extensive - very rare), however longer term prognosis is bad as after a few years it leads to arthritis.

Third option is if its stitched up- longest recovery time (a few months) but probably best longer term outlook.

So as an athlete you never remove meniscus entirely, I think you just read that wrong. No meniscus, no way you can do pro sports period.

Different types of injections you can do to help with torn meniscus, from cortisone for swelling to some sort of artificial padding (if meniscus is worn or just not there).

Either option #2 (2-4 weeks) or #3 (6-8 weeks) above would have most likely been end of season for KP unless they made finals or something like that.

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
jrodmc
Member: #805
USA
8/31/2020  12:16 PM
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

if it wasnt for the Porche/Honda comparison I would have no idea whats happening with this. Thanks bud

Yup yup, a Porche up on blocks without tires in the garage is always worth more that at least 5 broken down Hondas with electrical wiring problems. Or something like that, right? Unless of course, you factor in lease value or buy back allotments, or German taxes, or gas prices in Oklahoma...

It's all so clear to me now...

smackeddog
8/31/2020  12:25 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:From what I remember from Lin, it depends on the type and size of the tear and how it's repaired. Quickest recovery is if meniscus is removed entirely (if the dame is too extensive - very rare), however longer term prognosis is bad as after a few years it leads to arthritis.

So as an athlete you never remove meniscus entirely, I think you just read that wrong. No meniscus, no way you can do pro sports period.

Different types of injections you can do to help with torn meniscus, from cortisone for swelling to some sort of artificial padding (if meniscus is worn or just not there).

Either option #2 (2-4 weeks) or #3 (6-8 weeks) above would have most likely been end of season for KP unless they made finals or something like that.

You'd think, but believe it or not I think D-Wade had his meniscus removed:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/25/8105845/derrick-rose-injury-knee-surgery-bulls-meniscus-repaired-removed

Repairing the meniscus

This is the preferred option among younger players because it provides the best chance to elongate their careers. While the meniscus is not essential for living or even walking, having one sure helps deal with the day-to-day stress that comes with running, jumping and cutting for 82 games (plus playoffs, practices, workouts, summer hoops and more) a year. The meniscus acts as a cushion between knee bones; not having it puts more stress on the rest of a player's knee.

Repairing the meniscus is a difficult surgical process that takes time to heal. Should Rose elect to try to repair the meniscus, he will be out for the season and could be in jeopardy of missing the beginning of next season as well. That's how much time is needed for the tissue to reform. It certainly guarantees nothing -- Rose himself elected to repair the meniscus last time and look what happened -- but it provides the best chance for a long career.

That said, if the meniscus is already heavily damaged, repairing it is impossible using current technology. It's not clear yet if Rose's knee has reached that point.
Russell Westbrook is the other notable player to repair a torn meniscus recently. After a couple setbacks, he's back and better than ever.

Removing the meniscus
As noted earlier, menisci aren't essential for normal, everyday life. They actually degenerate over time; one reason we feel pain when we try to exercise as we get older is that there's less cushion in the knee to absorb pressure. Removing the meniscus only accelerates that process. It is done often when it is unrepairable due to repeated trauma or deterioration. What good is trying to fix knee tissue that is already heavily damaged?

Removing the meniscus entirely would actually give Rose the best chance of returning to the court soonest. Depending on the severity of this tear, he could return in six to eight weeks, allowing him to play in the postseason if he so desires. But it also comes with major long-term consequences: he will play in pain for the rest of his career and that career will be significantly shorter than it would have been if the repaired meniscus held up.

Dwyane Wade is a famous example of a player that removed his meniscus rather than repairing it. He did that in college at Marquette and said 11 years later that he regretted his decision.

"My knee problems and the things I've dealt with started from that," Wade said. "That was [11] years ago and technology was different and the way you approach things was different.

"At that moment, if everyone looked ahead and said, 'Dwyane's going to have a 20-year career, maybe we should do something different,' maybe I wouldn't have [knee issues]. At that time it was to get me back on the basketball court and do what is best."
Wade has ultimately put together a Hall of Fame career, but his knees have broken down over the past few years.

Wild that someone gave him that medical advice, and wild the career he managed to have despite it.

KnickDanger
Member: #7578

8/31/2020  12:27 PM
jrodmc wrote:
fishmike wrote:
knicks1248 wrote:

Yup yup, a Porche up on blocks without tires in the garage is always worth more that at least 5 broken down Hondas with electrical wiring problems. Or something like that, right? Unless of course, you factor in lease value or buy back allotments, or German taxes, or gas prices in Oklahoma...

It's all so clear to me now...

Honda makes good cars. If I were driving cross country I'd like my chances in one of them rather than a Porsche.

martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
8/31/2020  12:37 PM
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

https://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/2/25/8105845/derrick-rose-injury-knee-surgery-bulls-meniscus-repaired-removed

Repairing the meniscus

This is the preferred option among younger players because it provides the best chance to elongate their careers. While the meniscus is not essential for living or even walking, having one sure helps deal with the day-to-day stress that comes with running, jumping and cutting for 82 games (plus playoffs, practices, workouts, summer hoops and more) a year. The meniscus acts as a cushion between knee bones; not having it puts more stress on the rest of a player's knee.

Repairing the meniscus is a difficult surgical process that takes time to heal. Should Rose elect to try to repair the meniscus, he will be out for the season and could be in jeopardy of missing the beginning of next season as well. That's how much time is needed for the tissue to reform. It certainly guarantees nothing -- Rose himself elected to repair the meniscus last time and look what happened -- but it provides the best chance for a long career.

That said, if the meniscus is already heavily damaged, repairing it is impossible using current technology. It's not clear yet if Rose's knee has reached that point.
Russell Westbrook is the other notable player to repair a torn meniscus recently. After a couple setbacks, he's back and better than ever.

Removing the meniscus
As noted earlier, menisci aren't essential for normal, everyday life. They actually degenerate over time; one reason we feel pain when we try to exercise as we get older is that there's less cushion in the knee to absorb pressure. Removing the meniscus only accelerates that process. It is done often when it is unrepairable due to repeated trauma or deterioration. What good is trying to fix knee tissue that is already heavily damaged?

Removing the meniscus entirely would actually give Rose the best chance of returning to the court soonest. Depending on the severity of this tear, he could return in six to eight weeks, allowing him to play in the postseason if he so desires. But it also comes with major long-term consequences: he will play in pain for the rest of his career and that career will be significantly shorter than it would have been if the repaired meniscus held up.

Dwyane Wade is a famous example of a player that removed his meniscus rather than repairing it. He did that in college at Marquette and said 11 years later that he regretted his decision.

"My knee problems and the things I've dealt with started from that," Wade said. "That was [11] years ago and technology was different and the way you approach things was different.

"At that moment, if everyone looked ahead and said, 'Dwyane's going to have a 20-year career, maybe we should do something different,' maybe I wouldn't have [knee issues]. At that time it was to get me back on the basketball court and do what is best."
Wade has ultimately put together a Hall of Fame career, but his knees have broken down over the past few years.

Wild that someone gave him that medical advice, and wild the career he managed to have despite it.

This is actually Option #2, removing the damaged part, not removing the entire meniscus

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
stanleybostitch
Member: #1071

8/31/2020  12:38 PM
Welpee wrote:

He won't, but he'll tear something else a month into the season. And the media will _still_ be all "LOLKnicks" and not "LOLMavs".

The new new core: Randle, RJ, IQ. Maybe Mitch. Future pick. Future trade. Future FA.
smackeddog
8/31/2020  1:01 PM
martin wrote:
smackeddog wrote:
martin wrote:

Repairing the meniscus

Removing the meniscus

This is actually Option #2, removing the damaged part, not removing the entire meniscus

Oh man, all these years I've thought Wade was doing all that with no meniscus- you've ruined the legend for me!

BigDaddyG
Alba Posts: 9
Member: #3049

8/31/2020  1:09 PM
smackeddog wrote:Oh man, all these years I've thought Wade was doing all that with no meniscus- you've ruined the legend for me!

You still have the legend of Dejuan Blair.
https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2009/11/how-can-dejuan-blair-play-without-an-anterior-cruciate-ligament-in-either-knee.html

Blair is now thought to face a higher risk of damaging his knees (especially his meniscus) than athletes with repaired ACLs—and he may end up with osteoarthritis. Another athlete with Blair's deficiency wouldn't necessarily be capable of operating at such a high level.Nov 3, 2009
Always... always remember: Less is less. More is more. More is better and twice as much is good too. Not enough is bad, and too much is never enough except when it's just about right. - The Tick
Kristaps Porzingis Tore Up His Knee Again.

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy