[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Finally a shooting guard that fills up the box score!
Author Thread
MS
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #724
10/15/2004  11:30 AM
I like Allan Houston I really do, but the man is hard pressed for a three rebound assist night, and rarely ever does his box score look like Craws, but we still need his steady influence.

Things to take away from the game:

1. Naz under non circumstances can be a starting center in this league. He is not the key to any deal, nor should he be playing up front. Baker is a much better alternative especially establishing a post game.

2. The Knicks need to emphasize weight training and make it mandatory that Crawford puts on 10 pounds, and Ariza needs close to 20.

3. This team is fun to watch, but they are going to have a tough time finding cohesion. Crawford is very exciting, but he plays a little wild and his shot selection needs a lot of work...

4. Ariza in time is going to be a very good player, which means that when the time comes TT should not be resigned he is too expensive and upside stops after 7 years in the NBA.

5. In two years Sweetney will lead the NBA in rebounds.

6. Stop hating on Kurt Thomas he is a good player, who plays hard shoots the open jumper, and brings leadership and toughness. Without veterans we are the Chicago Bulls

7. It was the NETS.

It was the first exhibition game, and teams need time together, but does anyone feel that Marbury and Crawford can play in the same backcourt. Realistically in the long run it has Team USA backcourt written all over it...They styles are very similiar and sooner or later someone always starts trouble

AUTOADVERT
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/15/2004  11:43 AM
"The Knicks need to emphasize weight training and make it mandatory that Crawford puts on 10 pounds, and Ariza needs close to 20."

Why? This is basketball... Yes, there are some great players that do things because of their strength, and there are others that do things because they are fast and quick.

What impressed me about Crawford wasnt the 7 rebounds, it was his ability to turn every one into a fast break.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MS
10/15/2004  12:00 PM
Do either of them weigh 200 pounds, the only player in the league at a guard/foward position that isn't really well put together is iverson.

Ariza is an athlete and you like how he moves and weight isn't going to affect that. Its going to make them more complete players better able to handle contact, and be less injury prone

TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/15/2004  12:01 PM
Tayshaun Prince is as skinny as they come, but he effects the game w/his length & athleticism.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/15/2004  12:03 PM
Posted by TMS:

Tayshaun Prince is as skinny as they come, but he effects the game w/his length & athleticism.

same with RIP H
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
MS
10/15/2004  12:30 PM
Prince hasn't been able to put on weight from High School, no matter how hard he works out nothing happens. Rip is a good example I agree, but to often players just rely to much on their natural ability, and that doesn't get them where it should and makes the difference between great players and athletes...

Ariza has a pass he is very young, but by 22 he should be transformed, Kobe did it, McGrady, Marbury, Baron Davis, all the top guards/athletes do it. And the ones that don't never become complete players...maybe saying weight throws everyone off, put the jerseys are practically falling off these kids
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/15/2004  1:07 PM
how about everyone's favorite Sprewell? There's TONS of guys that are light. Reggie Miller is toothpick. We could go on for days. Briggs is right about one thing... length and athleticism have a big impact. Craw's got both
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/15/2004  1:15 PM
Posted by MS:

Prince hasn't been able to put on weight from High School, no matter how hard he works out nothing happens. Rip is a good example I agree, but to often players just rely to much on their natural ability, and that doesn't get them where it should and makes the difference between great players and athletes...
I disagree with your statement slightly. Yes it is important to not only rely on your natural ability but that doesn't mean the only thing he has to do is get bigger. The position he plays allows Crawford the luxury of not needing to put on weight. Just like Iverson, I think Craw with his game, his height and his speed does not need to get bigger.
Ariza has a pass he is very young, but by 22 he should be transformed, Kobe did it, McGrady, Marbury, Baron Davis, all the top guards/athletes do it. And the ones that don't never become complete players...maybe saying weight throws everyone off, put the jerseys are practically falling off these kids
Yea. Ariza needs build more muscle. The type of game he plays, he will be extremely injury prone if he stays that thin.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/15/2004  1:26 PM
good point. I think Ariza has a body that can get stronger much like Spree's. He just has to work on it. Crawford definitely doesn't I think but it does matter since he's a guard. Silver mad another good point lastnight when I commented on Crawford's dribble and how amazing it was. It is useless if you do all that dribbling and wind up taking a 3pointer with the man still in your face, as often happens with crawford because he not strong enough to penetrate like Marbury.
MS
10/15/2004  2:24 PM
Most of the guys you will mention that are light, are jump shooters that have to rely on quickness to get open shots, the millers the hamiltons of the world, but Craw is not a jump shooter, he is a pull up and try to beat you off the dribble guard, and those players need muscle on their bodies because they get hit a great deal.

Last time i checked there isn't a big man out there that wears the orange and blue. There is a reason Kobe is up to 230, and added more muscle in the offseason....
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/15/2004  2:47 PM
They don't need to gain weight.....

Jordans playing weight when he was Air Jordan was 195lbs at 6'6"....Did anyone say he needed to gain weight? He was killing the league and drawing all kinds of contact back when the NBA was a real mans league.

Jordan gained weight when he came back off of retirement cuz he wasn't as explosive.

Crawford makes the team better....Houston is now the 6th man whenever he comes back a la Starks.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
MS
10/15/2004  3:23 PM
Wrong Jordan, could get by on his superior athleticism for only so long..Jordans playing weight was 210 for his championship runs. If you remember Jordan began working out because of teams like Detriot. They were being very physical with him and it was taking its tole...so he added muscle in order to absorb the beating

MS
10/15/2004  3:33 PM
TMAC 6'8 210
Paul Pierce 6'6 230
Baron Davis 6'3 223
Steph 6'2 205
Ray Allen 6'5 205
Billups 6'3 202

Those are just a few,guards that like to get into the lane. You can name a few exceptions but the majority of all-stars are filled out, and have added a great deal of mass to their frames

EnySpree

10/15/2004  4:57 PM
Posted by MS:

TMAC 6'8 210
Paul Pierce 6'6 230
Baron Davis 6'3 223
Steph 6'2 205
Ray Allen 6'5 205
Billups 6'3 202

Those are just a few,guards that like to get into the lane. You can name a few exceptions but the majority of all-stars are filled out, and have added a great deal of mass to their frames

Paul Pierce came into the league 230
Billups was always big too.
Baron Davis also came into the league big.

Ariza is 200lbs.......T-Mac is 210? 10 lbs difference?

He'll get bigger obviously because he now has the money and the facilities to do it.....

Let's not say that these dudes didn't or won't sucseed until they got bigger....that's BS.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
EnySpree

10/15/2004  5:05 PM
Posted by MS:

Wrong Jordan, could get by on his superior athleticism for only so long..Jordans playing weight was 210 for his championship runs. If you remember Jordan began working out because of teams like Detriot. They were being very physical with him and it was taking its tole...so he added muscle in order to absorb the beating

Ok so are you saying Jordan won those championships cuz he gained 15lbs?

Crawford at 195 is fine with me.....Rip Hamilton is 193 and he's 6'7".....he's already helped carry a team to a championship. Think he needs to gain weight? What about Reggie Miller?

It all depends on the player. No one needs to do anything. All they need to do is stay in shape.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/15/2004  8:27 PM
Posted by EnySpree:

It all depends on the player. No one needs to do anything. All they need to do is stay in shape.
Yep. The most important thing is getting Stronger, not getting bigger. @ completely different things.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Finally a shooting guard that fills up the box score!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy