[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Bskball.com 1/19
Author Thread
scylla
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #97
1/19/2002  4:37 PM
From a list on Hoopsworld handicapping the odds of various players being shipped out before the deadline:
LATRELL SPREWELL:| 75% | If the Knicks can land a serious player in return, Spree is gone. Knicks fans won't like that, but Scott Layden's hands are tied, and no one wants Allan Houston's contract. I have been told the Knicks want a possible top 3 pick included in any deal sending out Spree, and that want proven "marquee" talent in return. If the Knicks make a deal with Spree involved, its going to have to go through Chicago, Miami or Memphis
This is the first report involving a trade for Spree that doesn't infuriate me. If we could get our hands on a top three pick, plus one the afore-mentioned teams' young talent, I'd be all for it. Not that it still wouldn't leave a bad taste in my mouth if Sprewell had to be sacrificed to a crap team in order to save the Knicks from the Allan Houston / Scott Layden Experience--that remains unforgivable. But I do think high draft picks are the one ray of hope on the horizon, as long as the current braintrust is no longer in a position to squander them when the time comes.

At the same time, I'm not sure exactly who qualifies as 'marquee talent' on the Grizzlies, Bulls or Heat (unless they would just be used as brokers in a three-way). Unless it's young players with promise--like Artest, Crawford, Gasol or Battier--I can't think of anyone I would want from those teams, including Brian Grant or Eddie Jones. Bringing in highly-paid players who are in or slightly past their prime would screw up the timing of the serious long-term rebuilding plan that the Knicks' front office has to commit to.
AUTOADVERT
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
1/19/2002  5:44 PM
I didn't quite understand the whole text of the bskball.com report. Do the Knicks want a marquee player and a possible top 3 pick? I would think it would be either one or the other, but not both; man, and if it is both, I can only image the laughter generated by GMs around the league.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
VG
Member: #68
Australia
1/19/2002  10:06 PM
Posted by martin:

I didn't quite understand the whole text of the bskball.com report. Do the Knicks want a marquee player and a possible top 3 pick? I would think it would be either one or the other, but not both; man, and if it is both, I can only image the laughter generated by GMs around the league.

Yes I highly doubt the Knicks could land a high Draft pick and a marquee player unless we package Camby with Sprewell.
Knixkik
Member: #11
USA
1/20/2002  10:11 AM
After watching last night's game, i realized that Sprewell and Houston are still producing all-star-like numbers as well as Camby on most nights, but the supporting cast is horrible. I would love to package Sprewell and baggage for an all-star big man or top 3 pick, but i think we would be in just as good of shape getting rid a couple of our role players and draft pick, depending on where it is, for a higher draft pick. The draft looks to be pretty deep this year and hopefully we can add a fourth member to the top 3 and maybe even a fifth if we keep our original pick.
Bskball.com 1/19

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy