[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

These Knicks should enforce the "no layup" rule!
Author Thread
TheloniusMonk
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #705
USA
10/14/2004  4:31 AM
We have enough players in our front court to start really going after opposing players who drive the lane and still not worry about foul trouble. We're deep enough. We have 4 players who can play the center spot (Mohammad, Thomas, Baker and our 4th stringer Bateer or Sundov). We've got 5 players who can man the pf spot (Sweetney, Thomas, Baker, JYD and Tim Thomas for stretches). We've got 5 guys who can play the 3 (Tim Thomas, Ariza, , JYD, Penny and....what's that dude's name again? Oh yes, Shandon Brickerson). This year, if an incident goes down and the team doesn't get up in someone's face Zeke is gonna hit the roof. Guys like him HATE to see opposing teams come in and beat up the home team. At least let the opposing team know that those types of things won't be tolerated. No punches have to be thrown and no cheap shots have to be landed but someone has to let it be known that "this means war".

Hopefully, this group of guys can band together and get each other's backs. I can't wait for us to have some tough, close battles this season to help us build character in tight situations. New York/New Jersey, New York/Indy, New York/Detroit and New York/Miami will be our most heated battles this season the way I see it. I can't wait for those types of emotional games that's going to take place in a few week's time. Oh yeah, and I can't forget Denver lol
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
AUTOADVERT
matt
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #487
USA
10/14/2004  6:39 AM
Brickerson ha.... :|

anyway, I think the no lay-up rule should start. Even though the Knicks don't have a true enforcer, they have a lot of PF's and centers to get in foul trouble
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/14/2004  8:41 AM
in basketball you don't want guys driving in for lay-ups anyway......

All the Knicks have to do is communicate and put bodies on guys. Protecting the basket doesn't always have to be done by shot blockers. And shot blocker doesn't mean enforcer.

Knicks will be alright.....

It seems that the defense and offense are clicking in camp.

We'll see tonight.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/14/2004  10:08 AM
KT used to think of himself as an enforcer in his younger days, but that was when he had guys like Larry Johnson & Patrick Ewing here to back him up...lately he's gone away from that...i'd like to see that attitude come back to him this year...not the bonehead technicals, but the fearless attitude.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/14/2004  10:16 AM
Posted by TMS:

KT used to think of himself as an enforcer in his younger days, but that was when he had guys like Larry Johnson & Patrick Ewing here to back him up...lately he's gone away from that...i'd like to see that attitude come back to him this year...not the bonehead technicals, but the fearless attitude.

KT thinks he is KArl Malone. He's not even better than the LAker Malone.

I personally would like him to get back to the "Dirty Kurty" days.....if KT is not in the game because he is doing his thing....so be it. The Knicks have great depth.....if KT gets into foul trouble because he is butching up someone GREAT!!!! Sweets will be there and if not Sweets then Vin, if not Vin then JYD.....

KT needs to get a few pick and rolls, get his rebs and foul the heck out of everyone a la Bill Laimbeer(sp?). If he can't do that then trade him.....that's what NY needs from KT.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/14/2004  10:33 AM
The days when the Knicks could put the hurt on anyone that got near the rim are pretty much over.What used to be a hard foul is a flagrant now.Some of those calls get missed but overall refs wont allow anymore what the Riley Knicks used to do on a nightly basis.Doesnt mean they cant get physical,they just cant get as physical.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/14/2004  10:49 AM
I disagree, Teams can still be physical. Indy and Detroit proved it. All it takes is a player to develop a no nonsense personality. One that will put his career on the line everynight a la Ben Wallace. I do believe that we have a couple of guys on our squad right now with those qualities: JYD, AND BREWER. I am telling you all, tonight you will have a preview of what to expect this season. Look for this squad to be physical all over. Marburry will set the tone a la Zeke style

Posted by Kwazimodal:

The days when the Knicks could put the hurt on anyone that got near the rim are pretty much over.What used to be a hard foul is a flagrant now.Some of those calls get missed but overall refs wont allow anymore what the Riley Knicks used to do on a nightly basis.Doesnt mean they cant get physical,they just cant get as physical.
The true Knickabocker..........
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/14/2004  11:11 AM
Winning teams develope their own personality.

If they are to do well, they will find whom they are and foster that personality thu time. The preseason is for that purpose.

I don't see our team as being so confrontational. Tough Defense is learned, then it becomes the culture. Its an unselfish act, and unifies a team.

Other than JYD, our team does not have this background.

But it can try going forward.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/14/2004  11:53 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I disagree, Teams can still be physical. Indy and Detroit proved it. All it takes is a player to develop a no nonsense personality. One that will put his career on the line everynight a la Ben Wallace. I do believe that we have a couple of guys on our squad right now with those qualities: JYD, AND BREWER. I am telling you all, tonight you will have a preview of what to expect this season. Look for this squad to be physical all over. Marburry will set the tone a la Zeke style

If you read that last line of my post you will see that I wrote that teams can still be physical but not as physical as they were back then.The refs wont allow it and the league wont allow it,its just a fact.They saw that the "bad boys" then the Riley Knicks were starting to hurt the league's reputation and they cracked down on that level of physical play.

diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/14/2004  2:13 PM
That is why the game is as freaking borring as it is right now. Detroit dared anyone to come on their turf and tried to be pretty, we can do the same out here in N.Y. My defensive team will be as follow:
Brewer, Marburry, TT, JYD, Naser
Marburry, Crawf, JYD, Sweetney, TT: we will need scorrers on the court
Put TT on the low-post with JYD AND Sweetney on the court for rebounds

Posted by Kwazimodal:
Posted by diderotn:

If you read that last line of my post you will see that I wrote that teams can still be physical but not as physical as they were back then.The refs wont allow it and the league wont allow it,its just a fact.They saw that the "bad boys" then the Riley Knicks were starting to hurt the league's reputation and they cracked down on that level of physical play.
The true Knickabocker..........
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
10/14/2004  9:59 PM
Posted by diderotn:

That is why the game is as freaking borring as it is right now. Detroit dared anyone to come on their turf and tried to be pretty, we can do the same out here in N.Y. My defensive team will be as follow:
Brewer, Marburry, TT, JYD, Naser
Marburry, Crawf, JYD, Sweetney, TT: we will need scorrers on the court
Put TT on the low-post with JYD AND Sweetney on the court for rebounds

Our best defensive squad would be Brewer, Crawford, Ariza/Penny, JYD, and KT, but they won't score much. But I think at least 1, if not 2 of those 6 ought to be in the lineup at any given instant of a game.

[Edited by - nykdunk on 10/14/2004 22:01:05]
These Knicks should enforce the "no layup" rule!

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy