[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Kurt Thomas also named Co- captain of the knicks
Author Thread
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/14/2004  9:56 AM
Herb Williams was a captain.......need I say more?

So if you are named captain you all of a sudden should be a man and speak up? I always thought that was BS......

The game of basketball is all about communication. Who cares who is captain? I could not imagine Houston leading anybody.....he doesn't have an aggressive bone in his body. In my opinion they should do away with it and just play ball.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/14/2004  10:03 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

Im Spartacus!

Why not just make him King?

Yeah, King Kurt! Krazy King Kurt. "KKK"? Yeah, Im a marketing genious or what?

Thats three captains now? 25% of the roster will be a captain.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/14/2004  10:20 AM
i think naming him captain is just a sign of gratitude and it'll be a little easier when they tell him sweetney's starting.

that's what i was thinking dj...i think this is just to appease KT & let him know the team still appreciates him, & ease the disappointment over naming Sweetney the starting PF later if it happens...i guess they figure that KT won't make a stink now that he's a "tri-captain" of the team since he needs to set the example for the others to follow now.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/14/2004  1:11 PM
Wilkens almost made Marbury the lone Captain because he said Houston wasn't vocal enough. But instead he named KT the tri captain because other than Marbury KT is probably the most vocal person on the court. This way Houston still maintains captain status and KT offsets Houston.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/14/2004  1:20 PM
I love KT and like this move. KT is great for us... OFF THE BENCH. When all KT has to do is hustle, play D and hit an occasional jumper he's a huge asset. When you ask him to play 40 minutes, start and depend on him he's bad. The more we have depended on KT the last 3-4 years the worse we have become.

STILL... KT has a nice bad of tricks, he's tough and he plays and practices hard. He's not playing for a contract anymore, just for wins. If Sweetney beats him out his commitment should be to make MS the best player he can be. KT of the bench is a great asset for us.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/14/2004  1:44 PM
i agree, he'd be a great asset for us off the bench...thing is, he still sees himself as a starter & has complained about his role off the bench in the past...when he accepts his role off the bench & embraces it, i will get off his case...we need everyone to be on the same page this year & driven towards the common goal of winning games...if it takes KT to play 5 minutes 1 night & 30 minutes the next, that's what it's going to take, & he needs to understand that.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/14/2004  2:00 PM
thats fair... everyone wants to play and all these NBA guys think they are the best. The funny thing with Kurt is his best asset is he has no fear and thinks he can play with anyone. His biggest problem is he thinks he can play with anyone. Bench is perfect. There will be plenty of minutes at the 4/5 if he's playing well. Heck, Ive even seen him effectively guard some 3's when he's on a switch. Also his jumper compliments guys like Nazr, Sweetney and a group of wing players that can penetrate and dish.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
10/14/2004  5:56 PM
i actually think kurt is becoming less sellfish in terms of showing sweets some things he should know. things only a vet like kurt would know. mike said it himself.
we should start kurt and give sweets more minutes, it's not like sweets is that much better than kurt YET anyway. and who starts and who backs up does'nt really matter much considering sweets is only a second year player who we all know won't complain providing he gets sufficient minutes.
i really don't think trading kt now would be such a good idea, due to the fact that we need that power forward starting or backing up (wherever he may play) w/out sacrificing offence. unless we trade him as a tandem w/you know who.
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/14/2004  7:01 PM
Posted by NYK3:

How can Kurt Thomas be named a captain?? this guy has such a short temper and loses his cool a lot when calls dont go his way and gets stupid technical fouls. I mean dont get me wrong I like Kurt Thomas' game but i dont think he should be named captain. I hope he meant it when he said he wasnt going to get as many technicals this year, but im not sure cause he has such a short fuse

I'm with you. Stupid move!
Panos
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #520
10/14/2004  7:04 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Andrew:

This definatly improves his trade value.

My thoughts exactly.

care to explain how?

Sure. By naming KT a co-captain, it sends a signal to other teams, however transparently, that he is highly thought by the Knicks, instead of perhaps the existing perception that KT is someone they are primarily looking to dump. It may also motivate him to play harder and more determinedly. So in effect, it will maximize Kurt's value both to the Knicks and to other teams, as long as he stays healthy and plays reasonably well.

Do you honestly think that other GM's in the league don't
already know what we as Knick's fans already know -- that
"KT is someone they are primarily looking to dump?"
Other GM's are not stupid.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/15/2004  8:42 AM
Posted by Panos:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by TMS:
Posted by Rich:
Posted by Andrew:

This definatly improves his trade value.

My thoughts exactly.

care to explain how?

Sure. By naming KT a co-captain, it sends a signal to other teams, however transparently, that he is highly thought by the Knicks, instead of perhaps the existing perception that KT is someone they are primarily looking to dump. It may also motivate him to play harder and more determinedly. So in effect, it will maximize Kurt's value both to the Knicks and to other teams, as long as he stays healthy and plays reasonably well.

Do you honestly think that other GM's in the league don't
already know what we as Knick's fans already know -- that
"KT is someone they are primarily looking to dump?"
Other GM's are not stupid.

Yet he hasn't been traded yet, has he? Perhaps Isiah is waiting to pull the trigger until another team realizes they have a need for a PF who can approach a double double every night.

Isiah isn't stupid either. A strategy implemented with a patient approach usually pays dividends.
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/15/2004  8:50 AM
the best thing that can happen is kurt average a double double so we can trade him off at the break.
Kurt Thomas also named Co- captain of the knicks

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy