Member: #581
USA
10/13/2004  4:38 PM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1097648196103290.xml

Knicks: Crawford to open at 2 spot
Wednesday, October 13, 2004
BY COLIN STEPHENSON
Star-Ledger Staff
GREENBURGH, N.Y. -- Not that anyone expected anything different, but Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens made it official yesterday that Allan Houston won't play in tomorrow night's preseason game against the Nets in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

Houston, who continues to work on strengthening his surgically repaired right knee, still has not scrimmaged with the rest of the team, limiting himself to running, shooting and other on-court drills since training camp began last week in Charleston, S.C.

Advertisement

So that means the starting shooting guard for the Knicks tomorrow night will no doubt be Jamal Crawford, who was acquired from the Chicago Bulls over the summer, ostensibly to play both point guard and shooting guard, backing up both Houston and Stephon Marbury. Houston's absence, though, has meant Crawford, the Bulls' starting point guard last season, has spent most of his time in camp at shooting guard.

"I'm playing 'two' more than 'one,' for sure," Crawford said after the Knicks' 3 1/2-hour practice at their training facility yesterday.

But Crawford said that's okay. According to him, in the Knicks' offense, there isn't that much difference between the point guard and shooting guard positions, anyway.

"With our 'push' game, and basic (offense), the 'one,' 'two,' and 'three' (small forward) can be anywhere," he said. "Our 'one,' 'two' and 'three' can handle the ball and create, so whoever gets it on the wing, the other two go in the lane."

Wilkens vows Crawford will get enough work at the point to be able to spell Marbury, whose minutes will be carefully monitored during the preseason following his Olympic summer. In what little scrimmaging the media has gotten to see so far, whenever Marbury is not on the floor Moochie Norris, free-agent rookie Andre Barrett, and even Jamison Brewer have played the point more than Crawford.

The main difference between the two guard positions, according to Penny Hardaway, is that in the halfcourt set, the point guard sets up above the foul circle while the shooting guard sets up on the wing, and the small forward sets up on the other wing.

"But at any given time, we (wing players) can take the ball and push it up, and then run the offense from up top," Hardaway said. "It's real easy."

Hardaway, who likely will play some point guard minutes when Marbury and Crawford are out of the game, hasn't played the point much in camp, either. But he's not worried about his skills there.

"In our offense, it just makes (running the point) simple," he said. "I haven't forgotten how to handle the ball."

Notes:

Barrett, the undrafted former Seton Hall star who is trying to win a job somewhere -- if the Knicks can't make room for him -- is looking forward to the game and hopes to play. "To get an opportunity to play in an official exhibition game, that's something good." If he plays, it will be his first game in a Knicks uniform. "Everything is new to me. It's just like going to college when you start, you don't want to miss anything. You want to be able to participate in everything."
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/13/2004  4:52 PM
GL to Barret.

Just out of curiosity, who would you guys rather have on the roster, Barret or Brewer?
Clean
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #743
10/13/2004  5:01 PM
Barret no doubt with the new foul changes. Him and Marcus Banks will both be unstobbable in an uptempo game since you can't put a hand on them.
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
10/13/2004  5:21 PM
i'd probably say barrett, but i can't say for sure because i have'nt seen much of brewer. we certainly could use defence like what i've heard about brewer.(ala bruce bowen)
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/13/2004  5:33 PM
I'm not sure that Houston will ever play again.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/13/2004  6:50 PM
Posted by Rich:

You cannot be serious?
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Rich
USA
10/13/2004  7:11 PM
Posted by OasisBU:
Posted by Rich:

You cannot be serious?

I am. I think he may be done. He has been rehabbing this thing for almost a year.

[Edited by - Rich on 10/13/2004 19:15:17]
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
10/13/2004  7:44 PM
Posted by Rich:
Posted by OasisBU:
Posted by Rich:

You cannot be serious?

I am. I think he may be done. He has been rehabbing this thing for almost a year.

[Edited by - Rich on 10/13/2004 19:15:17]

He'll play again.. They just trying to be cautious and making sure he's 100%.

As you know from last season, he was rushed into playing which led him to get injured.. Once H20 is ready, Lenny will be able to form probably one of the best 3 guard setup in the NBA..
The Future. GO KNICKS!
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/13/2004  7:48 PM
Penny's had 5 surgeries on his knee & he's still effective...Alan Houston isn't done...he's not going to be the same player he was in '99, but he's still got that sweet jumpshot & he can still play a vital role in this team's success.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/13/2004  8:00 PM
Posted by TMS:

Penny's had 5 surgeries on his knee & he's still effective...Alan Houston isn't done...he's not going to be the same player he was in '99, but he's still got that sweet jumpshot & he can still play a vital role in this team's success.
That's about what I expect. I expect him to some day (and it could be much farther than we realize) be a solid 26 mpg type of player with a great shooting touch. I don't know how his defense will be. It wasn't great when he had healthy knees.
WOODMANnYk
Member: #529
USA
10/13/2004  8:03 PM
Posted by TMS:

Good pt TMS!! Also, Penny and H20 are two totally different players.

Despite the fact that Penny had five surgeries, he's still capable of playing 3 different positions with nifty ballhandling skills....

I'll be easy for H20 cause all he'll be required to do is just shoot, shoot and shoot....
The Future. GO KNICKS!
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/13/2004  8:10 PM
he will never be 100%
Rich
USA
10/16/2004  12:20 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/16/sports/basketball/16knicks.html?oref=login

October 16, 2004
Crawford Holds His Own Off Court
By HOWARD BECK

GREENBURGH, N.Y., Oct. 15 - In the minutes that followed his public unveiling as the Knicks' savior, Jamal Crawford wrapped himself in a pair of towels and stood ready for the assembled cameras and notepads. He was more than eager to discuss the thrills of his 19-point debut, so the clothes hanging in his locker could wait another few minutes.

As the Knicks are learning, Crawford is soft spoken, but never shy, and he is not afraid of the criticism that comes hand-in-hand with the lavish praise he is hearing.

The Knicks won their preseason opener Thursday, 92-84 over the Nets on the strength of Crawford's performance, which included seven rebounds, two steals and six assists. But he also missed 9 of his 13 field-goal attempts and committed 4 turnovers, sure signs of a 24-year-old who remains a sometimes impetuous work in progress.

When those blemishes were noted, Crawford, who was obtained in August from the Chicago Bulls, acknowledged them and pledged to do better. Those are characteristics that will endear him to Lenny Wilkens, his old-school coach, and his veteran teammates.

"He'll get better at it,'' Wilkens said of Crawford's shot selection.

Among Crawford's more questionable misses were a pull-up 3-pointer in transition and a straightaway shot from the arc that he set up with a dazzling crossover dribble. The latter play seemed headed for "SportsCenter" before the ball rattled out.

"He took a couple, and I told him right then and there, 'That's not what I want,' and he is a better athlete than that,'' Wilkens said. "Anyone who takes shots like that, I'm going to tell them. And either you learn or you come sit next to me and then we can talk about it more. But he's very receptive, and he wants that. And I'm not hesitant to tell him that that's a bad shot.''

Turnovers were a teamwide problem. Wilkens is asking his players to push the pace and look for easy transition baskets, and that will cause an increase in turnovers. But the Knicks had an unsightly 24 on Thursday, and Wilkens figured 18 were the result of forced passes on the break. Stephon Marbury had four, tying Crawford for the team high.

Wilkens said he expected the turnovers to decrease as the new-look Knicks become more familiar with one another. "It's just the first preseason game,'' Kurt Thomas said. "Those type of turnovers are expected.''

Thomas scored 14 points in Thursday's game, and was a beneficiary of Crawford's playmaking. With Thomas's ability to hit midrange jumpers, the two could be an effective pick-and-roll combination.

"Because when Jamal comes off, he'll give it up if you're open,'' Wilkens said. "He's an unselfish player.''

REBOUNDS

Shandon Anderson, a veteran swingman, did not play a minute Thursday night, but Coach Lenny Wilkens said he remained a viable member of the team. The Knicks are trying to trade him. "I don't treat him any different than any other player,'' Wilkens said. "We've got 18 guys, 17 guys, we can't play them all at once. That's just an impossibility. We still have, what, seven games to go? He'll get an opportunity.'' ... KURT Thomas moved to center for a long stretch in the first half Thursday, allowing him to play alongside his rival at power forward, Mike Sweetney. Although it leaves them undersized, it might be the Knicks' best big-man tandem. "They're very good, let's put it that way,'' Wilkens said.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/16/2004  10:16 AM
Posted by TMS:

I think you are one of the only people that consistently goes back to Houston's 1999 season when he was drving to the hoop, playing defense and getting to the line a lot. That was a good year from him. I dont think he will come close to it. The biggest problem is not only his knees but also the type of offense that Lenny wants to run. Push the ball..

Houston can be effective with Penny at the 3 and Stephon walking the ball up in a half court game. It's going to be all about Crawford and Stephon early in the season. I also think sooner or later we shall get a good offensive front court guy who will really help our team. That's when Houston can and will be effective.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/16/2004  10:40 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by TMS:

I think you are one of the only people that consistently goes back to Houston's 1999 season when he was drving to the hoop, playing defense and getting to the line a lot. That was a good year from him. I dont think he will come close to it. The biggest problem is not only his knees but also the type of offense that Lenny wants to run. Push the ball..

Houston can be effective with Penny at the 3 and Stephon walking the ball up in a half court game. It's going to be all about Crawford and Stephon early in the season. I also think sooner or later we shall get a good offensive front court guy who will really help our team. That's when Houston can and will be effective.

i already said i didn't think he'd be the player he was in '99...but his perimeter shot adds a dimension that can open up alot of things for the other guys on this team...they have some good complementary parts here right now w/Stephon & JC penetrating, KT & Houston spotting up for perimeter shots, Sweets, Baker, Nazr & JYD fighting inside for rebounds & tip ins...that's what i mean...Houston's role on this team can still be very important even though his athleticism isn't nearly what it once was.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Crawford to open at 2 spot

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy