NY Post - "Penny's Polished"
Author Thread
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
10/13/2004  4:38 AM
By EVAN GROSSMAN

October 13, 2004 -- Anfernee Hardaway could go crazy thinking about what his NBA life might have been like, if not for the countless injuries and chronic setbacks that plagued him after he entered the league with worlds of potential as the No. 3 pick in the 1993 draft.

What if he hadn't gotten hurt all those times? What if he'd continued along the path of basketball greatness?

"I always wonder, 'What if?' " Penny said yesterday.

One thing's for certain: If not for the hard times he had to fight through, the 33-year-old probably wouldn't be with the Knicks right now and most certainly would not have been part of the trade that brought Stephon Marbury here in January for Antonio McDyess, Charlie Ward and several others.

More likely he would still be a franchise player somewhere, rather than the bench and role player he figures to be this season.

"I think he looks good," coach Lenny Wilkens said.

Hardaway may look good, but he is a different kind of player than he used to be.

"The biggest thing was, I don't have the athleticism," Hardaway said. "I'm not 21 years old anymore. I've gone through five knee surgeries, but I've regained a lot of what I used to have as far as just playing basketball on the floor, quick moves, first step and all that. Leaping ability is the only thing I don't have consistently, but everything else is legit."

Hardaway may not be the leaping, dynamic youngster he once was. But after going through the Charleston portion of camp without a hitch, after putting himself through a grueling off-season conditioning program, Penny's pumped to get the exhibition schedule underway tomorrow against the Nets in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.

"I can't wait to see how I perform in a game-like situation against guys who, last year, I was way slower than," Hardaway said. "I couldn't move as fluidly as I can now. All the hard work I put in this off-season, we'll see how it pays off."

You could say that until the playoff series last year against the Nets, Hardaway was an unknown commodity to the Knicks. Before injuries took Allan Houston and Tim Thomas from the lineup, Penny was pretty much an intriguing throw-in to the Marbury deal, nothing more and nothing less. But during that series against the Nets, Penny averaged 16.5 points per game and provided stability on the floor.

"It gave me the opportunity to show the coaching staff and my teammates that I can still play and I can still help," Hardaway said.

It hasn't been an easy ride, but Hardaway is here and he can help the Knicks.

And what he's gone through in his sweet and sour NBA career is not lost on the coach.

"I think you got to give Penny a lot of credit for that," Wilkens said. "Nobody can control injuries. He's very strong-minded. He's worked through it. He's still an effective player, he can still contribute, and I think those are the things he focuses on."

AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/13/2004  8:36 AM
i said at the time of the trade that Penny would be the X factor that makes that deal a steal for the Knicks...i'm banking on him to prove it this season...i think he's going to.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/13/2004  9:21 AM
Personally I love Penny and I am glad he was included in the trade.

I look forward to seeing him on the court and he will definitely contribute an important role for this team.

The only thing I have reservations about is that this is the pre-season and every year there are a flood of stories on players who have been injured - each article takling about how they are closer to being their old selves then ever before - Grant Hill, Dyess, Penny etc.

I dont doubt Penny is doing better and he will be an asset to the team, I just don't want to drink too much kool aid and be disappointed with the Knicks this year - they still have a long way to go.
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/13/2004  10:42 AM
Penny is talking it up, but we need to see actions behind the words.

He is a pro, and he wants to play. He can't jump anymore, but he'll do just fine as our 3rd and 4th guard when Allan decides to join the dance.

But really, how many knew his off season training were going to restore his powers?

toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
10/13/2004  12:40 PM
Will Penny get enough minutes to prove himself? Let's say Houston, Marbury, Crawford, T Thomas, J Williams all stay healthy. WHere would he minutes at the 1, 2 and 3 comes from? Personally I hope he produces well, and is a hot commodity next summer as a large expiring contract and a strong veteran leader who can do many things.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/13/2004  12:52 PM
I really don't like to read all these articles that most likely are misleading. They hype everyone on the Knicks up. Then the season starts and we're around .500 and disappointed and someone that looked "great" in camp is shooting 29% from the field off the bat. I just hope Sweetney outplays Kurt in preseason and gets to start.
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
10/13/2004  1:39 PM
I agree with all, Last year it was painful watching this guy shoot, I belive it was at a 29% clip ( as a knick in the regular season). He was almost as bad as shannon, missing countless wide open shots. Although he was pretty solid defensively, his offense was just short of horrific.
ES
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/13/2004  2:17 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

I agree with all, Last year it was painful watching this guy shoot, I belive it was at a 29% clip ( as a knick in the regular season). He was almost as bad as shannon, missing countless wide open shots. Although he was pretty solid defensively, his offense was just short of horrific.
He shot 39% (not 29%). It's about the same percentage as guys like Iverson, Crawford, Q-Rich, Sprewell in his last season as a Knick. If you obsess over that one statistic, you miss the bigger picture about all these players' impact.
OasisBU
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #257
USA
10/13/2004  2:50 PM
Bottom line is this is just more preaseason hype

But I like Penny anyway
"If at first you don't succeed, then maybe you just SUCK." Kenny Powers
jaydh
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #96
10/13/2004  2:59 PM
Penny and his talent-hurting injuries remind me a lot of LJ and his back problems which made him have to recreate his game. LJ was a smart player as is Penny and they know how to make up for their lack of athleticism, i do believe he could prove valuable. hes had to change his game and maybe now he is finally where he wants it to be.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/13/2004  3:12 PM
In my opinion, Penny is still valuable. He has the intangibles that resembles maybe Magic Johnson. Remember that Magic wasn't all that athletic, but his court vision and abilities to be a magician on the court propelled him to be one of the greatest PGs that ever played the game of basketball. Penny can still shoot the ball, defend, orchestrate, etc. He may no longer be able to play above the rim, but I will take everything that he possesses now. Penny can be the backup PG. He can actually run the show when Marburry needs a breather.
The true Knickabocker..........
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
10/13/2004  6:37 PM
penny is more valueable than most think. not just due to the fact that he can do so much to back up three positions, but his ending contract could 'and probably will' yield us something nice. maybe in the form of a center.
technomaster
Member: #426
USA
10/14/2004  1:35 AM
We have such strange talent issues on our team... lots of solid-very good players.

Our only all-star level player is Marbury. Penny looks like he could be a nice combo guard on a .500+ team.

His biggest weakest (overall) has always been his erratic outside touch--- he doesn't consistently get good arc on his shot... and without the extreme athleticism he had earlier in his career, he can definitely be contained offensively.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/14/2004  7:53 AM
Penny IMO has to pull all of Magic Johnson's old tapes and try to model his game after him. Magic couldn't dunk mainly because of an achilles tendon injury that he suffered, Penny can be just as good. He has to forget about what he could do in the past, ne needs to utilize his current abilities. Jordan did the same thing in his couple of years with the Wizzards, he couldn't play above the rims either, but managed to be effective in other areas.

Lenny is going to try to use Lenny's full abilities. When we need ofense, look for a combo of either Marburry, Penny, TT, Sweetney, and Vinny

When we need defense, specially if the opposing team's PG or SG is dominant, look for Brewer, either Marburry or Crawff, TT, Kurt if he is still here, Naser.
The true Knickabocker..........
NY Post - "Penny's Polished"

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy