[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Zach wants a max contract

Author Poll
Bonn1997
Member: #581
USA
Would you give Zach Randolph the max contract he's asking for?
Yes
No
View Results

Author Thread
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/12/2004  12:07 AM
http://www.columbian.com/10092004/sports/198035.html

Randolph waiting for maximum contract offer from Blazers

Saturday, October 9, 2004
By ANDREW SELIGMAN, Columbian staff writer

It is as clear as an open lane, an unobstructed shot, and Zach Randolph is doing jumping jacks while calling for the ball.

At the moment, he and his agent believe, Trail Blazers management has it.

Randolph isn't hiding the fact that he wants to remain in Portland, and he wants a maximum contract preferably before Oct. 31. That's the NBA's deadline for signing extensions.

"That's what I would like, or something close to it," Randolph said. "I want to be here. If they're going to embrace me as the leader of this team and the franchise player, that's what I want to be. This is where I want to finish my career."

"I have no response," general manager John Nash said when asked about the possibility of a maximum contract for Randolph.

Randolph is coming off a season in which he averaged 20.1 points and 10.5 rebounds, numbers that made him the league's Most Improved Player. He is due $1.8 million. Then, he will probably get a major boost in pay.

How big, though, remains to be determined.

The Blazers could offer a six-year extension worth approximately $90 million at the moment.

After this season, they could offer approximately $110 million over seven years.

A few months ago, an extension seemed almost a formality.

And a maximum deal, or something close to it, seemed likely.

Then, Randolph decided to go to a notorious nightclub near his hometown of Marion, Ind., with his brother Roger on Aug. 22. Roger Randolph allegedly shot three men who survived on the dance floor, and the prosecutor in Madison County, Ind., was ready to press charges against Zach Randolph for misleading police. That didn't happen because he eventually cleared up the inconsistencies between his account and those of other witnesses.

"Wrong place at the wrong time," Randolph said. "I can't control (somebody's) actions. I'm just going to do what I do on the basketball court: focus on winning and leading this team."

Randolph said he learned from that incident "who your friends are, the people who stick by you and the people who turn your back on you."

He said Roger, who pleaded innocent, is "my best friend," and that he would not have second thoughts about going out with his brother in the future.

"I can't talk about the situation," Zach Randolph said. "It's going to come out in court."

The incident clearly tested the Blazers' patience.

As a youngster, Zach Randolph served time in juvenile detention for shoplifting, battery and possession of stolen guns. He was cited for underage drinking in Marion two years ago and sucker-punched Ruben Patterson in practice in the spring of 2003.

Last season the first for Nash and president Steve Patterson Randolph was cited for driving under the influence of marijuana in Portland.

"I didn't get charged with that," he said.

The Blazers sent a message when they signed center Theo Ratliff to a three-year, $34.8 million contract extension less than two weeks ago. They were rewarding his contributions on the court, his shot-blocking ability. But they were also rewarding a good citizen, someone with no history of trouble and a long history of charitable work.

"I think any time you extend a player, you consider all aspects of that player," Nash said.

And the Blazers have been weighing Randolph's negatives and positives.

He has gotten into trouble, but Randolph is affable, likeable. He wants to be a leader, a team captain, and his work ethic is strong.

On the court, he has improved every year. During the summer, he worked with former Blazers assistant coach Herb Brown, developing a right-handed hook shot to go with his left. He also worked on his jump shot and passing ability.

"The ball is in Portland's court," said Raymond Brothers, Randolph's agent. "They can sign an extension now, or wait until next summer and see what option Zach will decide to (choose)."

"The only way we would make a deal is if it was in our lt best interests, and if can do that, we will," Nash said.

Brothers has been in Portland this week advising another client, Qyntel Woods, who is being investigated for abandoning one of his pit bulls. There have also been discussions with the Blazers about an extension for Randolph.

"I feel like I'm a max player," Randolph said. "I've got a lot to (improve) on. I'm 23 years old, I've a lot to learn, but I want to get like a Tim Duncan, a Kevin Garnett. I've just got to work on a couple things. I'm going to get there."

If the deadline passes, things could get interesting.

Assuming Randolph is not traded, the Blazers almost certainly would make the minimum qualifying offer at the end of the season.

By signing that offer, Randolph would remain a Blazer in 2005-06 and then be eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Not signing the qualifying offer would mean Randolph becomes a restricted free agent. The Blazers would have the right to match any offer sheet he signs with another team.

"Zach is 10 months away from signing a tender, which means he could become an unrestricted free agent and walk away (after the 2005-06 season)," Brothers said. "The goal is to get a deal done now. And if that doesn't happen, he's going to explore his options."
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/12/2004  10:00 AM
I don't know his trading value, but I would not bank on this kid.

Bottom line is he does not act professional and take care of himself off the court. Portland has policy of not putting up with crap like this. If they can get some nice pieces for him, then I would move him.

Rahim has demonstrated a professional attitude in his life. Zach is asking, but it time that teams demand that for that kind of money they get complete human beings that are willing to maintiain themselves, or from the teams standpoint, do the best to protect their investment.

This kid is like a FEW in the NBA that just don't get it.

Shame on the owners also. Banking on these kids is stupid. If Zach wants to act his age, thats cool, but with the riches comes responsabilities. I hope that in the future they have shorter contracts and ones that drop in value if certain incentives are not made, or decline with a rap sheet. In a perfect world, they can become restricted free agents if they break a certain level of civil laws, and not stay in shape. Sounds rough, but yeah, teams need to protect their investments at some level.
Zach wants a max contract

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy