[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Having a Clue
Author Thread
Andrew
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #1
USA
1/18/2002  10:13 AM
This from A Dave D. article...please say it aint so!

http://www.njo.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/sports/ledger/159bd00.html
The media's obsession with the Weis draft in '99 is both fascinating and absurd, considering that it overlooks pertinent facts and misplaces blame. To begin with, the Knicks were prepared to trade up that summer, sending the No. 15 pick and Childs to Toronto for the No. 5 pick, where their intent was to take point guard Andre Miller of Utah at No. 5.

But before the trade, interim GM Ed Tapscott asked Van Gundy to call Rick Majerus to learn more about Majerus' prize pupil. Van Gundy reported back that Majerus was "lukewarm" about Miller. So Van Gundy nixed the deal with Toronto, which instead traded the No. 5 pick (Jonathan Bender) to Indiana for Antonio Davis.

Shortly thereafter, Knicks scout Dick McGuire spoke to Majerus. He reported that Majerus had "raved" about Miller, and that the Knicks would forever regret not drafting him. Indeed, Miller, who fell to Cleveland at No. 8, is one of the top point guards in the NBA.
PURE KNICKS LOVE
AUTOADVERT
Caseloads
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #41
1/18/2002  10:18 AM
Posted by Andrew:

This from A Dave D. article...please say it aint so!

http://www.njo.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/sports/ledger/159bd00.html
The media's obsession with the Weis draft in '99 is both fascinating and absurd, considering that it overlooks pertinent facts and misplaces blame. To begin with, the Knicks were prepared to trade up that summer, sending the No. 15 pick and Childs to Toronto for the No. 5 pick, where their intent was to take point guard Andre Miller of Utah at No. 5.

But before the trade, interim GM Ed Tapscott asked Van Gundy to call Rick Majerus to learn more about Majerus' prize pupil. Van Gundy reported back that Majerus was "lukewarm" about Miller. So Van Gundy nixed the deal with Toronto, which instead traded the No. 5 pick (Jonathan Bender) to Indiana for Antonio Davis.

Shortly thereafter, Knicks scout Dick McGuire spoke to Majerus. He reported that Majerus had "raved" about Miller, and that the Knicks would forever regret not drafting him. Indeed, Miller, who fell to Cleveland at No. 8, is one of the top point guards in the NBA.
It's true.
BigSm00th
Member: #178
USA
1/18/2002  6:48 PM
Well, after reading that message and throwing up my dinner, I read it again and pissed my pants. That's going to cost them for YEARS. YEARS.
#Knickstaps
kubie1084
Member: #19
USA
1/18/2002  8:09 PM
When i read that today in the ledger i said that they were better off keeping it a secret and not telling anyone. it only adds to the agony. even if miller wasn't suppose to be all that great, who said weis would be a guarentee? anyway it seems that screw up was van gundy's fault, not out gm, though picking weis over artest was out gm's fault, as was chenowith and wright over woods, which is still baffling me. that article is an excelent article chronocling the decline of the knicks.
killacross
Member: #58
USA
1/19/2002  12:34 AM
dont worry about what we could have and start to look at what we do have and what we can and should do to improve. It's gona have to start with a coach. I think to truly judge chaney he needs an offseason to install a new system, im not a huge chaney supporter but i dont really think there is anyone that great out there right now.
ya cant stop me, you can only hope to contain me
john44
Member: #115
USA
1/19/2002  2:39 AM
yes passing up on miller was a horrible move, but we still got nothing at the 15th pick. utah who has had a good team for 10 years have young players that can start for them in a year or two. they have stevenson, collins, and that russian whos is really good. y the hell cant the knicks ever draft these guys. And it was Layden who drafted half of those guys at Utah y cant he do that for the knicks.
Matt
Having a Clue

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy