mattinNH
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #695
10/10/2004  5:25 AM
http://www.thejournalnews.com/newsroom/101004/c09w10knicks.html

Knicks' Sweetney makes a push

By MIKE DOUGHERTY
THE JOURNAL NEWS
(Original publication: October 10, 2004)

CHARLESTON, S.C. — In the context of practice, Mike Sweetney is wearing a different uniform.

Kurt Thomas refuses to give any ground, so it can get bumpy under the rim. Their head-to-head battles have been a highlight during training-camp scrimmages, and it's hoped they will bump heads all season long.

"I think it's tremendous," Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens said after yesterday's workout at the College of Charleston. "And I think that's how you get better, if you know every day you step on the court there's a challenge. And that's the way Kurt plays in practice. He doesn't take a day off. He works hard, so I think that's a great challenge to Sweetney."

At stake is the opportunity to open the season in the starting lineup.

Thomas has been first string each of the last three years, but part of that time was spent at center. He returned to power forward last season, averaging 11.1 points and 8.3 rebounds despite playing with a mangled pinkie that required surgery over the summer. When the offensive production began to slip late in the season, a $28 million contract extension signed in March immediately became a focal point.

Shifting offensive responsibilities contributed more to the decline than anything else, though.

The official word is probably a week or two away, but it appears Thomas will maintain his status. It wasn't easy to fend off Sweetney, though, and there's no guarantee the lineup won't change somewhere down the road.

"I don't know, Sweetney's been playing great," Thomas said. "We'll see. It's made me stay on my toes."

And it seems a strong relationship has been forged amid the ear-popping chatter provided by the high-intensity veteran.

"Half the time I don't even hear it, I'm just playing," Sweetney said. "It's elevated my game and my confidence level. He's been teaching me little things, and I appreciate that. He could be the type of person who doesn't care, but he takes me to the side a lot and shows me different things."

If this continues, foul trouble won't haunt the Knicks so much.

Sweetney watched most of last season from the bench until it became apparent the pudgy rookie had a penchant for grabbing rebounds. Not long after, he began to check in on a regular basis, the fans became enamored with him. After spending the summer refining post moves with assistant coaches Mark Aguirre and George Glymph, a spot in the rotation is assured.

He's pretty good at scoring in heavy traffic down there, even when Thomas is pulling in all directions.

"They're teammates, but when you go after it, it's the best guy," Aguirre said. "I think they should have a relationship where they understand each other, but Mike has to push Kurt. There's no other way. He has to push, and Kurt has to fend him off, but in that mix, they have to make the Knicks better. I think Kurt would like to have that faith in Sweetney, and I think Sweetney would like to know Kurt believes in him."

Notes: Feeling that much has been accomplished, Wilkens is breaking camp and heading back to New York this afternoon following practice. ... After a week of scrimmages, Shandon Anderson feels there's no place for him on the Knicks this season. He's been playing third string behind Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza. "You figured something was going to happen by now," Anderson said yesterday. "Would I like to know which direction I'm going in? Yeah. I'm not going to be able to play here. I definitely want to get somewhere where I can play some basketball." ... Knicks assistant trainer Said Hamdan is leaving at the end of the week to become a partner with I.C.E. Sports Health Group in Manhattan.
AUTOADVERT
Knicks' Sweetney Making a Push

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy