[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

NY Post: Sweetney's Pushing Kurt
Author Thread
daddynel
Alba Posts: 12
Member: #505
10/13/2004  6:09 PM
i hate to make this comparison, but in college he would remind me of shaq. not in a bully you, "no it's not an offensive foul" type of way. but in a "you better double team me or i'll score on who ever you put on me" type of way. even some double teams were'nt enough, and they'd have to foul him (hack the shyt out of him is more like it). ofcourse when you fouled him he was a better foul shooter than shaq could ever be, and has a decent inside jumper.
obviously it's a different league now, and i think he's adjusting well to his new position. my oppinion, top 10 pf in 2 yrs.
i also don't think it's at all that important to trade kt. who ever starts, has to have a quality backup without a powerhouse center.
AUTOADVERT
lrluis
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #306
10/13/2004  11:28 PM
i also don't think it's at all that important to trade kt. who ever starts, has to have a quality backup without a powerhouse center.

Furthermore, if we trade KT for a center straight-up (equal contract, equal talent), it's a lateral move---no real upgrade or downgrade at Center. Vin rotates to PF while the new center (whoever he is, it doesn't matter) will back up Nazr.

Of course this means Sweets will start and maybe he is an upgrade at PF. But if that were the desired effect, then why create a superfluous transaction in the first place? Why not simply tell the coach to start Sweets? Duh?!

It costs a lot of money (contracts, logistics, etc.) to do these trades you know---even for rich-boy Dolan.
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
10/14/2004  12:35 AM
Bonn, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't even read this thread until you responded to another post of mine telling me about this.

Sweetney came into his first NBA camp overweight and didn't exactly deserve playing time at the start of the season. Layden and Chaney never had the chance to let him work his way into playing time because they were fired early in the season. Rookies, unless they're coming in as big time players, have to work their way into the lineup, that's just the way it is and coming in out of shape didn't help matters. I'm not sure why some of you are having trouble understanding this.

Ok, now you can keep pretending that I'm avoiding these discussions.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/14/2004  4:42 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/30288.htm

Sweetney appears to be the early favorite to unseat Thomas and got a strong plug from Marbury yesterday. The Knicks All-Star point guard said the two surprises of camp are Sweetney and Jamal Crawford.

"Sweetney's been dominating in the paint," Marbury said, "showing he's that guy who can fill that void of playing the post position."
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/14/2004  10:25 AM
Posted by Rich:

http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/30288.htm

Sweetney appears to be the early favorite to unseat Thomas and got a strong plug from Marbury yesterday. The Knicks All-Star point guard said the two surprises of camp are Sweetney and Jamal Crawford.

"Sweetney's been dominating in the paint," Marbury said, "showing he's that guy who can fill that void of playing the post position."
That's good news!
firefly
Alba Posts: 17
Member: #721
United Kingdom
10/14/2004  11:17 AM
Hey, did you notice that he averaged 1.5 more boards then TT in less then half the minutes?

Thank god Laydog's not still here or hed have already given him at least a 12mm contract extension.
Some men see things as they are and ask why. I dream things that never were and ask why not?
PhilinLA
Member: #696
10/14/2004  9:50 PM
Sweetney looked pretty good tonignt. He reminds me of a cross between Mark Aguirre and Lonnie Shelton.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/15/2004  9:20 AM
Posted by PhilinLA:

Sweetney looked pretty good tonignt. He reminds me of a cross between Mark Aguirre and Lonnie Shelton.

Lonnie! You taking it back now! Lonnie was "little Willis" and had some mad dunks thru traffic. He was a big dude!

Too bad the injury bug hit him.

Remember Toby Knight from Notre Dame?
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/16/2004  4:02 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1097907027116530.xml

But what also emerged in Thursday's game is that Wilkens seemed to like what he got out of the duo of Kurt Thomas and Mike Sweetney -- both of whom are battling for minutes at power forward -- on the floor together. And though using the 6-9 Thomas at center and the 6-8 Sweetney at power forward makes the Knicks relatively small up front, Thomas (7-for-7 shooting Thursday) was the Knicks' starting center for most of two seasons before last year. And even Mohammed acknowledged yesterday that Sweetney (game-high 11 rebounds Thursday) has played so well in training camp that the Knicks are trying to find minutes for him.

"'Sweet' has to get out there," Mohammed said. "He's playing great."

If Mohammed isn't careful, Sweetney's minutes could come at his expense. In his six seasons in the league, Mohammed was a starter for 1 1/2 seasons with Atlanta. He has a decent chance to be the Knicks' starter this season, but if Wilkens finds he likes the Thomas-Sweetney tandem, he might have a quick hook for Mohammed.
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/16/2004  10:34 AM
i could deal w/KT starting at C & Sweetney at PF...we'd be very small upfront, but i think the combination of KT's midrange game along w/Sweetney's tenacious rebounding inside would be a good match.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/16/2004  12:08 PM
Posted by islesfan:

Bonn, thanks for bringing this to my attention. I hadn't even read this thread until you responded to another post of mine telling me about this.

Sweetney came into his first NBA camp overweight and didn't exactly deserve playing time at the start of the season. Layden and Chaney never had the chance to let him work his way into playing time because they were fired early in the season. Rookies, unless they're coming in as big time players, have to work their way into the lineup, that's just the way it is and coming in out of shape didn't help matters. I'm not sure why some of you are having trouble understanding this.

Sweetney was still out of shape when Zeke took over. Zeke traded Spoon for Norris to give Sweetney more time. Zeke hired Aguirre(Spell) to work with Sweetney. Wilkins gave Sweetney a role. All of this boosted his confidence and brought out the work ethic that was there. Sweetney said he was lost and didn't know his role under Layden & Chaney. I'm not sure why your having a hard time understanding this.

U sure do make a lot of a excuses for a GM that failed 4yrs in a row. And u call us Kool-aid drinkers.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/16/2004  12:20 PM
There was nothing normal about last year.

Bottom line, the kid got into shape, got his head together and we move the kid along.

Who knows what coulda woulda shoulda, but it happened, lets move on!

"Sip Sip yum yum"
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/16/2004  12:35 PM
Posted by newyorknewyork:
Posted by islesfan:

Sweetney was still out of shape when Zeke took over. Zeke traded Spoon for Norris to give Sweetney more time. Zeke hired Aguirre(Spell) to work with Sweetney. Wilkins gave Sweetney a role. All of this boosted his confidence and brought out the work ethic that was there. Sweetney said he was lost and didn't know his role under Layden & Chaney. I'm not sure why your having a hard time understanding this.

U sure do make a lot of a excuses for a GM that failed 4yrs in a row. And u call us Kool-aid drinkers.

islesfan is sippin' on the Layden-Latte.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/16/2004  1:22 PM
Posted by TMS:
Posted by newyorknewyork:
Posted by islesfan:

islesfan is sippin' on the Layden-Latte.
I thought he was drinking Isiah hatorade. Or are they both actually the same drink?
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/16/2004  2:01 PM
The brand name is actually Layden-Latte. But it automatically makes you hate Isiah. So that's why, on the streets, people call it Isiah Hatorade.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
NY Post: Sweetney's Pushing Kurt

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy