Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/10/2004  3:01 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/30020.htm

SWEETNEY'S PUSHING KURT

By MARC BERMAN

October 10, 2004 --
CHARLESTON, S.C. — Knicks assistant coach Mark Aguirre, who's made Michael Sweetney his pet project, proclaimed the rugged power forward is an All-Star in the making.

After five days of training camp here, Sweetney appears to have the edge over veteran Kurt Thomas for the starting power forward job, but that ferocious battle will be decided during the eight-game preseason schedule.

"Sweetney's going to be one of the best power forwards in our conference," Aguirre told The Post. "There's no doubt in my mind. There's no stopping Sweetney. You can't stop Sweetney form turning into what he's ready to turn into."

When camp opened Tuesday, Thomas was supremely confident he would repel Sweetney's bid. But after Sweetney's dogged rebounding in scrimmages and Thomas' wayward jump shot, Thomas admitted he's in for a dogfight.

Two days ago, Sweetney made one spin move off the post for a reverse layup that Thomas couldn't even do when he was the NCAA scoring champion at TCU.

"I don't feel I had that great a camp," Thomas said. "Sweetney's playing great. We'll see. [The camp] was not up to my standards. I'm in great shape but not as far as shooting the ball."

Thomas' deft mid-range jumper is his biggest edge over Sweetney. But if he's erratic during the exhibition season, Sweetney will crack the starting lineup in his second year, completing a stunning turnaround.

Sweetney was selected ninth in the 2003 NBA Draft by former GM Scott Layden, but incomprehensibly, the old regime had him on and off the injured list.

When Isiah Thomas came aboard, one of his first moves was to activate Sweetney. The Knicks president was stunned a lottery pick on a substandard club hadn't been activated.

Aguirre and George Glymph were brought in by Isiah Thomas as developmental coaches last January and their chief assignment was Sweetney, who became a vital role player over the final 21/2 months.

"I'd like to see how he pushes Kurt," Aguirre said. "In our situation, we need them both. Eventually Sweetney is going to be that power forward. No question. But I'd like to see him get more established. He can take the position if that's what happens. But Kurt is very valuable to us."

Aguirre worked with Sweetney all summer and the former Georgetown star shined at the Long Beach summer league, scoring 20.3 points on 57-percent shooting, hauling in 10.8 rebounds. Banging with Sweetney this summer, Aguirre developed a herniated disk, and actually was bed-ridden here until yesterday.

"What Mark and George did with Sweetney, you should bottle it," Isiah Thomas said.

Long Island's Wally Szczerbiak is still hopeful Isiah Thomas can pull off a blockbuster trade with the Wolves that involves Kurt Thomas. Talks broke down because Wolves ownership didn't want to take on about $3 million in future payroll (double with the luxury tax).

Szczerbiak spends the offseason at his new house in Cold Spring Harbor and his wife prefers New York.

"If I'm going to go, that's the only place I would want to go," Szczerbiak told a Minnesota writer. "I love it here, we have a chance to win a title, but New York always raises my eyebrows because that's home, and it will always be nice to have one house and settle the family."

Knicks' longtime assistant trainer Said Hamdan resigned yesterday to open a physical therapy business that caters to athletes and celebrities, including Broadway set.

Knicks break camp today, two days early.

AUTOADVERT
SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
10/10/2004  4:39 AM
great news!

sweet & ariza, the knicks future!
mattinNH
Member: #695
10/10/2004  5:09 AM
awesome =)

First preseason game is less than a week away, and for all your fans who are starving for any basketball at all like me, first preseason games for any team starts tomorrow!

Also, I think a couple of Houston preseason games are gonna be on espn!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/10/2004  8:30 AM
Posted by SKY:

great news!

sweet & ariza, the knicks future!

I know! I am extremely excited about our young guys, but that also includes Crawford, Marbury, and Thomas.
I'm still schocked that Isiah was able to help flip over our roster like this.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/10/2004  11:05 AM
http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1074977,00.html

Its says Kurt is helping out Sweetney which is a classy thing to do considering he may take his job from him.

Sweetney adds front-line depth

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/10/04
By MIKE DOUGHERTY
STAFF WRITER
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- In the context of practice, Mike Sweetney is wearing a different uniform.

Kurt Thomas refuses to give any ground so it can get bumpy down under the rim. Their head-to-head battles have been a highlight during training-camp scrimmages and it's hoped they will bump heads all season long.

"I think it's tremendous," Knicks coach Lenny Wilkens said after yesterday's workout at the College of Charleston ended. "And I think that's how you get better, if you know every day you step on the court there's a challenge. And that's the way Kurt plays in practice. He doesn't take a day off. He works hard so I think that's a great challenge to Sweetney."

At stake is the opportunity to open the season in the starting lineup.

Thomas has been first string each of the last three years, but part of that time was spent at center. He he returned to power forward last season, averaging 11.1 points and 8.3 rebounds despite playing with a mangled little finger that required surgery over the summer. When the offensive production began to slip late in the season, a $28 million contract extension signed in March immediately became a focal point.

Shifting offensive responsibilities contributed more to the decline than anything else, though.

The official word is probably a week or two away, but it appears Thomas will maintain his status. It wasn't easy to fend off Sweetney, though, and there's no guarantee the lineup won't change somewhere down the road.

"I don't know, Sweetney's been playing great," Thomas said. "We'll see. It's made me stay on my toes."

And it seems a strong relationship has been forged amid the ear-popping chatter provided by the high-intensity veteran.

"Half the time I don't even hear it, I'm just playing," Sweetney said. "It's elevated my game and my confidence level. He's been teaching me little things and I appreciate that. He could be the type of person who doesn't care, but he takes me to the side a lot and shows me different things."

If this continues, foul trouble won't haunt the Knicks so much.

Sweetney watched most of last season from the bench until it became apparent the pudgy rookie had a penchant for grabbing rebounds. Not long after he began to check in on a regular basis, the fans became enamored. After spending the summer refining post moves with assistant coaches Mark Aguirre and George Glymph, a spot in the rotation is assured.

Knicks notes:

Feeling that much has been accomplished, Wilkens is breaking camp and heading back to New York this afternoon following practice. . . . After a week of scrimmages, Shandon Anderson feels there's no place for him on the Knicks this season. He's been playing third string behind Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza. "You figured something was going to happen by now," Anderson said yesterday. "Would I like to know which direction I'm going in? Yeah. I'm not going to be able to play here. I definitely want to get somewhere where I can play some basketball."

gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
10/10/2004  11:10 AM
we just gotta hope Sweetney outplays Kurt in preseason
gunsnewing
Member: #215
USA
10/10/2004  11:15 AM
can't Shandon restructure his contract? if he wants to play thats all it will take or what is the least the league allows for the Knicks to buy him out?
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/10/2004  2:11 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

can't Shandon restructure his contract? if he wants to play thats all it will take or what is the least the league allows for the Knicks to buy him out?
I don't think the contract is what's preventing him from playing; it's his awful play that's preventing him. No team will want him even if he's taking a paycut, unless the cut is so large that he's making the league min.
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/10/2004  4:15 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by gunsnewing:

I don't think the contract is what's preventing him from playing; it's his awful play that's preventing him. No team will want him even if he's taking a paycut, unless the cut is so large that he's making the league min.

If we buy out Shandon another team will snatch him up immediately for around $1 million. The problem is everyone knows that if they trade for Shan they owe him $24 million so no one in the world wants him...

the only possible trading partner I could imagine would be Portland for Patterson, but Patterson doesn't really fit here if Ariza is going to get time...
¿ △ ?
Kwazimodal
Member: #728
10/12/2004  9:12 AM
http://www.nj.com/sports/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-0/1097561518262390.xml

More | Subscribe | 14-Day Archives (Free) | Long-Term Archives (Paid)
Knicks: Refined Sweetney poised to make a contribution
Tuesday, October 12, 2004
BY COLIN STEPHENSON
Star-Ledger Staff
The only evidence anyone can offer is six games in the Summer Pro League in Long Beach, Calif., and five days of scrimmaging at the College of Charleston, in the Knicks' training camp. And that wasn't enough to get Mike Sweetney out of having to fetch Moochie Norris' suit and shoes for the Knicks' flight home Sunday.

According to his teammates, Sweetney, the Knicks' first-round draft pick in 2003, is still a rookie until the first game of the season, and therefore, he remains subject to toting ball bags and whatever other hazing rituals NBA rookies have to put up with.

But to hear Knicks management tell the story, the 6-8, 260-pound power forward is poised to make a huge leap from wide-eyed rookie to legitimate contributor this season. And maybe more than that.

"Right now Sweetney's on the verge of being something pretty special," assistant coach Mark Aguirre said of the Georgetown product, who the Knicks are saying is ready to join coach Lenny Wilkens' playing rotation.

It was his work in the summer league, where he averaged 20.3 points and 10.8 rebounds, and shot 56.9 percent from the field, that started the hype. But he has followed that up with, by all accounts, a solid first week of practice as he tries to push starter Kurt Thomas for playing time.

Sweetney said his turnaround actually began last season, after Isiah Thomas took over as general manager and later hired Wilkens as coach. After playing in only 17 of the first 57 games last season (1.9 points, 1.2 rebounds per game) Sweetney played in each of the final 25 games, averaging 15.8 minutes, 5.8 points and 5.5 rebounds.

"Lenny came in and Isiah, and they made me confident when they gave me a chance to really get out there -- even if it was 3-4 minutes -- they gave me a chance to get out there," Sweetney said.

Then, over the summer, assistant coaches Aguirre and George Glymph made Sweetney their project, meeting him in Washington D.C., where he lives in the off-season, or having him come to New York to meet them, so they could put him through footwork drills, shooting drills, rebounding drills. Those drills, Sweetney said, "made me a better player."

He also has lost about 15 pounds, he said. He hasn't lost any strength, but he's gotten quicker and gained endurance because of his new, trimmer physique.

"My moves are quicker and everything," he said.

Throughout the week in Charleston, Sweetney, along with newcomers Jamal Crawford and rookie Trevor Ariza drew most of the praise from Wilkens and Isiah Thomas for players who stood out in the scrimmages. Kurt Thomas admits to not having a great first week, but says: "Sweetney's been playing great."

Wilkens said the work in camp so far is an indicator of what to expect, but warned observers not to put too much stock in anything that happens before the regular season starts next month. That's when the games count for real. And when Sweetney won't be a rookie anymore.

Notes:

MSG Network announced it will televise 76 games this season, including the final three preseason games against Dallas (Oct. 24), at Nets (Oct. 26) and against Utah (Oct. 28). ... Fans will be able to attend an open practice at Madison Square Garden at noon on Sunday. Tickets are required and are available through www.knicks.com.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/12/2004  9:39 AM
Sweetney said his turnaround actually began last season, after Isiah Thomas took over as general manager and later hired Wilkens as coach. After playing in only 17 of the first 57 games last season (1.9 points, 1.2 rebounds per game) Sweetney played in each of the final 25 games, averaging 15.8 minutes, 5.8 points and 5.5 rebounds.

"Lenny came in and Isiah, and they made me confident when they gave me a chance to really get out there -- even if it was 3-4 minutes -- they gave me a chance to get out there," Sweetney said.

Then, over the summer, assistant coaches Aguirre and George Glymph made Sweetney their project, meeting him in Washington D.C., where he lives in the off-season, or having him come to New York to meet them, so they could put him through footwork drills, shooting drills, rebounding drills. Those drills, Sweetney said, "made me a better player."

He also has lost about 15 pounds, he said. He hasn't lost any strength, but he's gotten quicker and gained endurance because of his new, trimmer physique.

Hey Isles... <ahem>
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
djsunyc
Alba Posts: 42
Member: #536
10/12/2004  10:24 AM
man...EVERYTHING you read and hear about this guy says he'll be better than we all think. when was the last time a player drafted by the knicks had this much hype and promise? mark jackson? rod strickland? we're talking over 15 years.

i thought 10 & 7 were realistic #'s from sweets this season but he may break through with even more, ESPECIALLY if he's starting.

he's already my favorite player (sorry h20) and pretty soon, i think he's going to be everybody else's as well.
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/12/2004  10:31 AM
the best part is its not even hype. When we drafted him it was a total Layden ho-hum who cares he's the 11th PF on the roster. I think Isiah and staff were just evaluating their roster/assets when they uncovered a beast in the making. If Aguire is saying these things I am dying to see him play. Aguire was some tough player.. this should be interesting.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
nykdunk
Member: #570
USA
10/12/2004  11:17 AM
All news on this front seem to be encouraging, but I just hope we aren't putting too much pressure on the lad. Isiah is talking about establishing a winning environment which is a good thing. But I do hope he is fully prepared to live through some growing pains along the way to establishing that.
Bonn1997
USA
10/12/2004  11:55 AM
Posted by fishmike:

Hey Isles... <ahem>
I had the same reaction
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/12/2004  3:00 PM

"My moves are quicker and everything," he said.

I'm starting to remember some very nice moves he had last year. A quicker and thinner Sweetney could be very dangerous.
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/12/2004  3:29 PM
Posted by Bonn1997:
Posted by fishmike:

Hey Isles... <ahem>
I had the same reaction

Islesfan will NOT respond to this b/c all it does is prove us right. And these are Sweetney's words. Straight from the horses mouth lol. Listen, Islesfan only shows up in threads that are of a negative nature. But if he does reply to these messages, it will be to argue with US.....not admit that the article proves him wrong ON SOOOO MANY LEVELS. My bet is that he reads this, tucks this thread away and try not to admit he even read this lol.

Hey, to each his own I guess.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
MaRbUrYiSaKnIcK
Member: #737
USA
10/12/2004  9:16 PM
cmon sweets you almost pushed kurt all the way to the starting lineup, TRY HARDER!
Marbury is finally home at MSG!
knicks1248
Member: #582
10/13/2004  1:49 PM
I've been saying since day one that he's going to be as good as Charles B. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we will have one of the best PF's in the league come next season.
ES
Bonn1997
USA
10/13/2004  2:22 PM
Posted by knicks1248:

I've been saying since day one that he's going to be as good as Charles B. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that we will have one of the best PF's in the league come next season.
Sweetney can really good, but he's not athletic or quick enough to be anything close to Charles Barkley. In his younger days, Barkley used to grab defensive rebounds, dribble the ball all the way downcourt, and finish with a dunk. He was unbelievably fast and strong and had great ball-handling for a PF.
NY Post: Sweetney's Pushing Kurt

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy