[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

About time........................
Author Thread
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/8/2004  7:15 AM
Last season, I pointed out that the reason for the lack of leadership with the Knicks was because Lenny or Isiah failed to realize that promoting Marburry to Captain was important. I took a lot of abuse for voicing that view, because the Houston loyalists couldn't see the reason behind my suggestion. Please read below.....

Trust me folks, I know a thing or two about leadership. 9 of my good years in the Army did teach me a lot.

Wilkens confirmed the meeting but said he was considering naming Marbury captain before the Nov. 3 season opener anyway.

"It wasn't like I didn't expect it," Wilkens told The Post. "It was something I had in mind and thought about this summer. That he's at a point in his career where he's maturing. He needs to step up and be a part of running this show. I felt it's be great to have him as captain. He's going to be more vocal [than Allan]. We already know that."

Marbury believed he needed the title to feel more comfortable in leading the troops. Knicks president Isiah Thomas felt Marbury wasn't able to instill his full "personality" on the group last season since he joined in midseason. Marbury follows in the footsteps of Willis Reed, Earl Monroe and Patrick Ewing.

"To be the captain on this team, and growing up in New York and all the things I've experienced, to be captain, it's kind of everything is conforming into my dreams and that's winning a championship here," Marbury said. "And these are basically all the steps that have been taken to reach that goal."

With the Nets, Marbury was criticized for rubbing some mates the wrong way, with oncourt tongue-lashings. Marbury is not afraid to get into somebody's face but he feels it's better perceived when the club wins.

"When you win, people look at you totally different," Marbury said. "When you lose, people don't value you in the same way. If we're winning and I'm screaming telling somebody what to do, then, 'oh, he's great leader.' If you're losing, it doesn't look as good."

The true Knickabocker..........
AUTOADVERT
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/8/2004  7:37 AM
I'm sorry but I don not see how Marbury is a leader.

then again, neither is Houston
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/8/2004  7:39 AM
Houston was never a team leader. He does not have a strong game or a strong character to lead. No one views Houston as a leader. I doubt he does himself.

The second Marbury was brought in, he became the leader on this team. There is no need to specifically appoint Marbury as the team leader. Marbury has a stronger presence on the court and in the locker room. He is the "leader" of the New York Knicks until someone with a stronger character and more experience is introduced.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
Silverfuel
USA
10/8/2004  7:44 AM
Posted by gunsnewing:

I'm sorry but I don not see how Marbury is a leader.
What about him do u see that does not make him a leader?
diderotn
USA
10/8/2004  8:07 AM
I disagree with some of what you have said. To become the leader, you have to be given the full raign. In some instences, if there is
no leadership present one can walk in and assumes leadership, but that wasn't the case when Marburry arrived. Houston, although he was hurt, but he was still the captain, they even had Kurt as Co-captain. It is very hard to come in and kick everyone aside and assume that position. I lead plenty of troops through combat, I know a thing or two about this.
The second Marbury was brought in, he became the leader on this team. There is no need to specifically appoint Marbury as the team leader. Marbury has a stronger presence on the court and in the locker room. He is the "leader" of the New York Knicks until someone with a stronger character and more experience is introduced.
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/8/2004  8:34 AM
Posted by diderotn:

I disagree with some of what you have said. To become the leader, you have to be given the full raign. In some instences, if there is
no leadership present one can walk in and assumes leadership, but that wasn't the case when Marburry arrived. Houston, although he was hurt, but he was still the captain, they even had Kurt as Co-captain. It is very hard to come in and kick everyone aside and assume that position. I lead plenty of troops through combat, I know a thing or two about this.

You offer a pretty unique take on this. I'd love to hear what you observe in Marbury that makes you think he'd be a good leader. And what do you see that gives you pause or concern? Also, how much of a factor is it that he plays point guard, often a position referred to as the "floor leader?"
diderotn
USA
10/8/2004  8:51 AM
Marburry might have had some learning to do in his early days, but now he is ready. He proved that he is more than capable. Look at it this way, here is a man whom has the ball in his hands 90% of the time, with an excellent court vision believe it or not, has the priviledge to play for two hall-of-fame PGs (Isiah and Lenny), and is finally playing for his hometown. This kid played under numerous coaches and now he is hungry. He made a statement earlier this week that really proved that he is ready, he doesn't just want to win, he wants to win the big dance. Now, that is what I have been looking from Marburry for years. a few years ago, Kidd went through that same thing, look what he did when he finally reached his maturity.

Marburry is now a leader folks

You offer a pretty unique take on this. I'd love to hear what you observe in Marbury that makes you think he'd be a good leader. And what do you see that gives you pause or concern? Also, how much of a factor is it that he plays point guard, often a position referred to as the "floor leader?"
Silverfuel
USA
10/8/2004  9:11 AM
Posted by diderotn:

To become the leader, you have to be given the full raign. In some instences, if there is no leadership present one can walk in and assumes leadership, but that wasn't the case when Marburry arrived. Houston, although he was hurt, but he was still the captain, they even had Kurt as Co-captain.
You might be right. I dont know much about this subject so I cannot argue but I always thought that someone with a strong presence can take over from a weak leader.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/8/2004  9:15 AM
I think he can grow into it, and if it makes him accountable for what goes on if they lose, then Im all for it. If he blames others (immaturity) then he will fail as a leader.

Kurt is not leader, and if Allan is ok with , Im ok with it.

I don't want to smack allan down, nor should especially Isiah, but Allans personality and game is not quite the leadership quality. Nothing wrong there, in fact, Allan when healthy is great, and he is great member of the team.

If Marbury is mature enough, then yeah he should accept it.

bernard
Member: #475
10/8/2004  9:21 AM
Whether Marbury is a good leader today or not, we made our bet on him when we traded so much to get him. We need him to become a great leader if this team is to succeed. So it only makes sense to groom him for what we need him to be. We need him to lift up guys like Sweetney, Craw and Ariza, while making sure the guys w/ more experience like TT, Nazr, Houston and KT don't get lost in the shuffle. Marbury clearly wants this role. I don't think IT or Lenny understimates its importance. They'll help him succeed in it.
diderotn
USA
10/8/2004  11:02 AM
I agree. Marburry's olympic participation was a gift from above. He was exposed to one of the most respected coaches in the league in LB, and we will automatically see the result from the start of the season. He even offer to sacrifice his minutes to accomodate wins for his ball-club, while away he stayed intouch with old and new-comers. All he has said and done so far are attributes of his leadership growth. Leaders lead from the front, and look for Marburry's actions to reflect on all of his team-mates.

Can't wait for the beginning of the season.

Posted by bernard:

Whether Marbury is a good leader today or not, we made our bet on him when we traded so much to get him. We need him to become a great leader if this team is to succeed. So it only makes sense to groom him for what we need him to be. We need him to lift up guys like Sweetney, Craw and Ariza, while making sure the guys w/ more experience like TT, Nazr, Houston and KT don't get lost in the shuffle. Marbury clearly wants this role. I don't think IT or Lenny understimates its importance. They'll help him succeed in it.
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/8/2004  11:33 AM
Im glad Isiah waited until now to make Marbury co-captain.Not because Im a "Houston loyalist" far from it but because Stephon came in during the season and didnt do anything during the playoffs to distinguish himself as a leader.Im glad that Isiah didnt strip Houston of his captaincy in favor of Marbury even though Allan's starting days are probably over.

I agree with the posters that say that he needs to grow into a leader,and about the olympics being a good learning experience.

With a few exceptions this team seems to be alot closer than they were a year ago at this time.Ideal for Marbury to cement his role as team leader but he also has to prove on the court that he deserves it.Im confident that he can this season.
newyorknewyork
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #541
10/8/2004  1:26 PM
I agree that Marbury became the leader of the Knicks as soon as he was traded for. He became the best player the Knicks had since Ewing. And he is the best player the Knicks have on this current team. He is the closest thing to a franchise player that we have. He was traded for because IT wanted him to be the face of NY Knicks.

Houston is a constant professional on and off the court. Is weel respected around the league. Is a proven playoff performer, and has been with the Knicks for yrs so he deserves keep his share of the co-captain role. But face it players will respond to Marbury more than the will respond to Houston. Marbury is a better player and has a bigger name. If Houston didn't play for NY he wouldn't be as known as he is right now.
https://vote.nba.com/en Vote for your Knicks.
diderotn
USA
10/8/2004  1:29 PM
Lenny took his time to evaluate his roster, and I now agree with his decision. However, last season we could have won a lot more games if and when Houston was injured Marb was immediatly promoted to that spot. Anderson and Marb didn't see eye 2 eye, and for sure he would have ensured that Lenny knew about it.

Posted by Kwazimodal:

Im glad Isiah waited until now to make Marbury co-captain.Not because Im a "Houston loyalist" far from it but because Stephon came in during the season and didnt do anything during the playoffs to distinguish himself as a leader.Im glad that Isiah didnt strip Houston of his captaincy in favor of Marbury even though Allan's starting days are probably over.

I agree with the posters that say that he needs to grow into a leader,and about the olympics being a good learning experience.

With a few exceptions this team seems to be alot closer than they were a year ago at this time.Ideal for Marbury to cement his role as team leader but he also has to prove on the court that he deserves it.Im confident that he can this season.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2004  1:46 PM
this is a postseason sport. Thats where real leadership starts. Houston has won us big playoff games. He's dominated in big playoff games, he's hit clutch shots in elimination games.

I love Marbury and his talent but lets see him walk the walk. Lets see him be the engine that takes us for a deep playoff run. Lets see him being the guy laying it all out there when everyone else is spent. Houston was never really that guy, and certainly isnt now, but Marbury isnt either. Sorry, but 2 good games in the Olympics dont change all that.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/8/2004  3:19 PM
This is exactly what I expected...Marbs and Houston as co-captains. But I am also glad Marbs wasn't named co captain last season. He wasn't with us long enough or do anything spectacular in the playoffs to instantly make him a captain. I definately would have objected to naming him captain just to make him feel comfortable. It has to be earned, just like for everyone else.

Ok, so now he has the label, it's time for him to go out and show it was the right call.
About time........................

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy