FOR ALLAN, ISIAH SEES LESSER ROLE
Author Thread
Kwazimodal
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/8/2004  1:04 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/20089.htm

By MARC BERMAN

October 8, 2004 -- CHARLESTON — Isiah Thomas gave strong indications that Allan Houston's role this season, even when healthy, will be diminished.
The Knicks president fed the notion Houston won't be ready for the season opener Nov. 3 and. even if he suits up, it will be in a bit role. Thomas also said Houston's old role as their No. 1 go-to guy is likely over.

Thomas said if Houston plays any exhibition games, which seems unlikely, it'll be a cameo. It's become clear that on opening night — and possibly beyond — that Jamal Crawford, who's impressed Thomas with his flashy ballhandling skills, will start at shooting guard alongside Stephon Marbury.

"The worst thing that could happen is if somebody accidently runs into [Houston's] knee," Thomas said. "In preseason, we'll take the football approach with him. If he does play in any exhibition games, it will be five, six minutes, then he's out. We want him around for the real show."

With scant October playing time, it's unrealistic Houston can play any significant minutes until December. Thomas admitted Houston no longer has to carry the scoring load. Thomas views Houston as strictly a jump-shooter now, which could interfere with Thomas' and Lenny Wilkens' vision of uptempo athleticism.

"The days when Allan has to play 50 minutes and score 40 points for us to be close, it's over," Thomas said. "He is what he is. He's perfect for the role."

Houston spends the morning sessions away from the team, on the College of Charleston outdoor track doing running drills with a harness. He has yet to scrimmage.

Knicks officially announced hiring of John Starks as alumni relations advisor, with no basketball responsibilities . . . Interestingly, rookie Trevor Ariza was wearing jersey of first team while Tim Thomas was second team . . . Isiah said of buying out Shandon Anderson, "Right now that's not an option." He will continue to shop Anderson.

On naming of new team physician in Dr. Lisa Callahan, whose title is director of player care, Isiah said, "I felt we needed a little bit more with what's happening in sports medicine. We need a person to sit in a position and assess everything."

Knicks had sticky issues with knee surgeries for Marcus Camby, Antonio McDyess and Houston. Isiah said it was no reflection on Dr. Norman Scott, who remains team orthopedist.

AUTOADVERT
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/8/2004  2:55 AM
I'm not surprised that Houston likely won't be ready for the opener. Consequently, there will be plenty of minutes for Penny too.

The best part of the article is that "Dr." Scott has finally been fired.
Silverfuel
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #268
USA
10/8/2004  7:36 AM
Posted by Kwazimodal:

By MARC BERMAN
Thomas views Houston as strictly a jump-shooter now
MARC BERMAN is a funny gunny guy.
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/8/2004  7:40 AM
hahaha thats awesome
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/8/2004  9:20 AM
Posted by Rich:

I'm not surprised that Houston likely won't be ready for the opener. Consequently, there will be plenty of minutes for Penny too.

The best part of the article is that "Dr." Scott has finally been fired.

"Isiah said it was no reflection on Dr. Norman Scott, who remains team orthopedist."

mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
10/8/2004  10:04 AM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

By MARC BERMAN

EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/8/2004  12:49 PM
Posted by Silverfuel:
Posted by Kwazimodal:

By MARC BERMAN

Yeah man he always says stupid stuff like that. I bet he does it just for us..... you know the diehards.....at least I hope that's what it is. There is a thin line between sarcastic and stupid, lol.

I always viewed Houston as a glorified role player. He is only good if he is hitting his jumper if he is off he's not even a factor in any aspect of the game. He doesn't even shoot in the action of the game. It's usually clear outs.

Bottom line Houston is hurt and if he doesn't practice or play preseason why should he automatically start? He's got to learn the plays and get involved into what the team developed the whole month of October.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
Nalod
USA
10/8/2004  1:55 PM
"Isiah SEES lessor role"

What next,

"Isiah SEES dead people?"
BRIGGS
Alba Posts: 7
Member: #303
10/8/2004  2:35 PM
hmmmmmmm.... an unreliable H2O=less wins makes the knicks shaky. cant use h2o as an excuse
RIP Crushalot😞
fishmike
Member: #298
USA
10/8/2004  2:42 PM
they are 100% right to do what they are doing. Allan is doing all strength training. You dont jog towing weights dragging behind you if your knee isnt stable.

What they want to avoid at all costs is a collision. Imagine if Houston is 90% but has a set back because he collides w/ Shandon in practice? There is no upside. H20 can get almost instantly integrated into any system. He's a shooter, and its one guy.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Nalod
USA
10/8/2004  7:32 PM
Shandon collides with allan, he will disapear like the guy who hit Gotti's kid with his car.

He went away good.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/8/2004  7:53 PM
Posted by fishmike:

they are 100% right to do what they are doing. Allan is doing all strength training. You dont jog towing weights dragging behind you if your knee isnt stable.

What they want to avoid at all costs is a collision. Imagine if Houston is 90% but has a set back because he collides w/ Shandon in practice? There is no upside. H20 can get almost instantly integrated into any system. He's a shooter, and its one guy.
Houston needs to wait until he's ready to come back, whether it's opening day, 1 week after opening day, or 1 or more years from now. He shouldn't come back a day too soon.
mintyfreshness33
Member: #586
USA
10/8/2004  10:55 PM
Posted by Nalod:

Shandon collides with allan, he will disapear like the guy who hit Gotti's kid with his car.

He went away good.

rofl, that got me laughin for a while.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/9/2004  3:36 AM
http://www.nypost.com/sports/knicks/29986.htm

HOUSTON BELIEVES HE'S STILL GOT GAME

By MARC BERMAN

October 9, 2004 -- CHARLESTON — If Allan Houston's days as the Knicks' premier go-to guy have come to an end — as has been implied by team president Isiah Thomas — the former All-Star shooting guard hasn't yet signed off on that memo.

Houston had his best season in 2002-2003, notching two 50-point games and carrying the team on his shoulders before his knees gave out last season.

"I'm just looking forward to being strong and healthy, and we'll cross that bridge when we get there," Houston said of a potential transition into a limited role. "I wouldn't be working as hard as I am if I didn't think [I'd be the same player]. If I didn't see myself that way, I wouldn't be working this hard."

Houston, who watched yesterday's scrimmage, wouldn't give a straight answer when asked if he could make his scrimmage debut today. He admitted Stephon Marbury's promotion as the team's lead captain was the right thing to do. Houston will still be a co-captain.

"Steph didn't need a title," Houston said. "The reality is, the person he is on the team, on the court, off the court, the respect people have for your captain, if you're taking that role, people see it. Being named captain is something that backs it up. He's definitely taken on a leadership role anyway, even before he was named that. He deserved it. He's learned a lot from the Olympics. He's definitely matured a lot. He definitely deserved a leadership role."

Lenny Wilkens kept Marbury out of yesterday's scrimmage, feeling he needs the occasional break after his Olympic stint.

"I'll pick my spots," Wilkens said. "I know he's had a rough, long summer. I'm going to err on the safe side. . . . "

Marbury says he feels great, but Houston knows the wear from the 2000 Olympics. "It takes a toll on you," Houston said.

Marbury can't believe rookie swingman Trevor Ariza dropped to No. 43 in the draft. "I don't know what teams were thinking about when they passed up that kid," Marbury said. "I don't think they look at basketball players anymore. They look at athletes. But that kid knows how to play the game." Ariza continues to impress during scrimmages. He had three fast-break dunks during one short stretch. Not only will he make the active roster, but this up-tempo, athletic player is in contention for playing time.

"I feel I'm fitting in well," said Ariza, the UCLA product. "Guys are embracing me; I'm just having fun. Everyone's looking for everyone. I'm just always running the floor. I always seem to be open."

Said Wilkens: "I love him. I think he'll contribute mightily to us."

More from Marbury on his new captaincy: "To be he captain of a team I always wanted to play for and grew up idolizing, it's significant.

"You got to do everything, set the tone. You can do it without the title but you look at it a little bit different. I wanted to be the person to set the tone, to be the voice after [Wilkens]."

MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/9/2004  8:57 AM
Marbury can't believe rookie swingman Trevor Ariza dropped to No. 43 in the draft. "I don't know what teams were thinking about when they passed up that kid," Marbury said. "I don't think they look at basketball players anymore. They look at athletes. But that kid knows how to play the game." Ariza continues to impress during scrimmages. He had three fast-break dunks during one short stretch. Not only will he make the active roster, but this up-tempo, athletic player is in contention for playing time.

"I feel I'm fitting in well," said Ariza, the UCLA product. "Guys are embracing me; I'm just having fun. Everyone's looking for everyone. I'm just always running the floor. I always seem to be open."

Said Wilkens: "I love him. I think he'll contribute mightily to us."

I love it, I feel like we got a lottery pick.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/9/2004  8:58 AM
Houston: I'm not shot

Takes aim at cynics

BY FRANK ISOLA
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Knicks guard Allan Houston says when he finally does return, he'll be as good as ever.

CHARLESTON, S.C. - There is uncertainty over Allan Houston's health and questions about whether he can be a productive player again. And while the Knicks say they have confidence in Houston returning stronger than ever, the team was busy outsourcing his job over the summer, signing Jamal Crawford after drafting another shooting guard, Trevor Ariza.

"I know people are wondering about me and doubting if I can still do it," Houston says. "And that's what drives me every day."

Houston, who is growing weary about having to constantly discuss his health and future, added that anyone who doubts his ability to play at a high level is in for a surprise.

"I don't like to talk about it but when I step on the court people will see," Houston said yesterday after watching his teammates scrimmage at the College of Charleston. "My thing is, just wait. You'll see. That's all that is in my head."

Houston hasn't played since March 26 due to soreness in both knees and is not even participating in contact drills. There is a possibility that Houston will not play in the preseason and that he will not be ready for the Knicks' Nov. 3 season opener against Minnesota.

The only promise Houston can provide is that when he does return, he will be every bit the player who averaged 22 points per game just two years ago. Saying that he still has plenty of good basketball left in him, Houston added: "There is no doubt in my mind. No doubt whatsoever that I will be the player I was a few years ago."

Houston's presence on the floor and in the locker room is necessary for the Knicks to be a serious contender in the Eastern Conference. He remains the team's best perimeter shooter, one who is capable of stretching defenses and giving the Knicks a consistent three-point scorer.

No one on the roster has made bigger shots or appeared in as many big games as the 33-year-old Houston, a veteran of one NBA Finals and two conference finals. Houston has appeared in 63 playoffs games - or one fewer than the combined total of Stephon Marbury, Vin Baker, Tim Thomas, Nazr Mohammad and Crawford, who has zero postseason experience.

Crawford represents Isiah Thomas' biggest offseason addition and he is clearly the future at shooting guard. With Houston missing 32 games last season plus the playoffs, Thomas wisely went out to find Houston's possible successor. Crawford has looked strong in training camp, as has Ariza, the 19-year-old rookie from UCLA.

Thomas said his mission during the offseason was to find good players, not just players to replace Houston. But while Thomas also believes that Houston can return to All-Star form, he hinted that his role will be reduced somewhat.

"The days when Allan Houston had to play 50 minutes and score 40 points (for the Knicks) to be close in a game, that's not how it is anymore," he said. "Can Allan Houston score 20 to 25 points a night if we went to him every single time? Without question. But will we make him carry that type of workload? No, we won't."

Houston views both Crawford and Ariza as teammates, not threats. And he says their arrivals have "nothing to do with my motivation. My motivation is that I have a whole lot left and I'm doing whatever I can to get back there."

Originally published on October 9, 2004

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/story/240136p-206009c.html
FOR ALLAN, ISIAH SEES LESSER ROLE

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy