Alba Posts: 5
Member: #728
10/6/2004  9:00 AM
http://www.app.com/app/story/0,21625,1071323,00.html

Wilkens mulling over lineup

Published in the Asbury Park Press 10/06/04
By MIKE DOUGHERTY
STAFF WRITER
CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Coming up with five names to fill out the starting lineup doesn't require much imagination.

Stephon Marbury, Allan Houston, Nazr Mohammed, Tim Thomas and Kurt Thomas were easy choices as the Knicks opened training camp yesterday with two sessions at the College of Charleston.

The incumbents have simply been more consistent than any of the challengers.

Filling out the rotation isn't a difficult task, either. Jamal Crawford, Vin Baker, Penny Hardaway and Mike Sweetney are in line to get quality minutes.

"I think it will all be settled in the first five days of camp," Kurt Thomas said. "We don't have that much time. We've got to get right at it."

So why isn't Lenny Wilkens more forthcoming about the roles his guys will be playing?

"I have an idea of who I think is going to be good," he said. "I try to be very open-minded while we're in camp and exhibition to see what works and what doesn't. Nothing's written in stone, it shouldn't be. If I had to open tomorrow I probably would pick a team."

Houston's knee might change the scenario.

There's a decent chance he'll be in the lineup when the season opens in Minnesota on Nov. 3, but the captain won't commit to anything. Rushing back in training camp following knee surgery may have contributed to last season's breakdown, so there's no hurry this time around.

"I know you want a yes or no, likely or unlikely," said Houston, who did shooting drills and walked through plays with teammates before continuing his individual rehab work. "I just can't give you that."

If everything works out as planned, Wilkens will spend the preseason experimenting with different lineups and looks to determine which combinations fill a particular need. This roster has built-in versatility, so that's one area that will be developed even after the exhibition schedule is complete.

"Like I tell players all the time, everybody will know their role by the time we come out of camp," Wilkens said. "And everybody is expected to contribute. I don't care if you're No. 1 or No. 12, you're expected to give us something."
AUTOADVERT
toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
10/6/2004  9:59 AM
I wish JYD would be included in the significant minutes list. Oh well, he'll have to become the #1 flag waver.
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/6/2004  10:07 AM
Why wouldn't he be included? JYD is a must when it comes to getting on the court. One great thing about him is the fact he is not as selfish as Kurt Thomas. However, I do welcome all the challenges. I look forward to hear that Sweetney has outplayed Kurt and Vinny to outplay Naser.
The true Knickabocker..........
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/6/2004  11:24 AM
JYD will get burn if Houston cant play, because JYD can defend the 3 very well. Penny will get the most minutes backing up the 1/2 spot and JYD can get time at the 3.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
diderotn
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #650
USA
10/6/2004  1:14 PM
JYD will get at least 20 MPGs at the expense of Naser, Sweetney, and TT. But look for him to rock the house everytime he's in the game.

Posted by fishmike:

JYD will get burn if Houston cant play, because JYD can defend the 3 very well. Penny will get the most minutes backing up the 1/2 spot and JYD can get time at the 3.
The true Knickabocker..........
Wilkens mulling over lineup

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy