SKY
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #687
USA
10/6/2004  8:57 AM
NY Post

By MARC BERMAN

October 6, 2004 -- KNICK NOTES

CHARLESTON — In a groundbreaking move, Knicks president Isiah Thomas has hired Dr. Lisa Callahan, who diagnosed Vin Baker's irregular heartbeat, to be the club's No. 1 medical decision-maker, The Post has learned.

Callahan, who served two years with the football Giants, joined the Knicks last week as the team's director of player care, responsible for all aspects of players' health, a team source said.

Callahan will oversee issues from minor dental work to the messy complexities of Allan Houston's knee rehab and, of course, Baker's heart condition. No other NBA team has created such a high-ranking medical position. Dr. Norman Scott remains as the club's orthopedist, but Dr. Callahan, who's here with the team, is in charge of recommending all courses of action.

Callahan's hiring is said to be unrelated to her discovery of Baker's life-threatening irregular heartbeat — which went undetected, Baker believes, for nine years. The Player's Association used Callahan last spring to examine Baker during his hearing against the Celtics, and she recommended heart surgery.

"She got into it and found out what was going on," Baker told The Post. "I feel totally different. The energy is there. The energy level is back up high. My weight is down. It's neat to feel your body changing, especially at my age of 33. The first day, I felt like the bionic man."

PF Kurt Thomas is in a snarly mood regarding Lenny Wilkens' edict that starting jobs are up for grabs. Michael Sweetney is in contention.

"We'll see how long it lasts," Thomas said, predicting he'll have the job sewn up in five days. Asked if he'd be shocked if he lost his starting job, Thomas snapped, "You would be, too." On Wilkens' saying last April that the club could use a more athletic power forward, Thomas said, "I'm just as athletic as any big man out here. And I can outshoot them, too. Hands down."
AUTOADVERT
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/6/2004  9:08 AM
"We'll see how long it lasts," Thomas said, predicting he'll have the job sewn up in five days. Asked if he'd be shocked if he lost his starting job, Thomas snapped, "You would be, too." On Wilkens' saying last April that the club could use a more athletic power forward, Thomas said, "I'm just as athletic as any big man out here. And I can outshoot them, too. Hands down."

that's fine Kurt...now go out there & do that, & while your at it, outwork, outrebound & outhustle them too, & you should have that starting spot sewn up like you're saying you will i'm sure.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #298
USA
10/6/2004  9:47 AM
exactly!!!! this is great. Lets see Kurt go and do it. I want Sweetney to win the job but mostly because KT was so lame last year and got schooled by KMart (who's he's just as athletic as).

But we need help up front. There were stretches last year when KT played very well. Then he hurt his pinky I forgot he could play at all.
"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/6/2004  9:51 AM
If his pinky is fully healed, I assume he can be the 13/8/1 player he used to be, but I think Sweetney can be better than that and add a nice low-post presence. So, if Sweetney's ready to start and at least close to the level Kurt is at, I'd rather have him start.
BrilliantTruth
Member: #622
10/6/2004  11:06 AM
This is why I hate Kurt. The friggin guy thinks he's an All-Star... tries to make plays like an All-Star, and ruins **** with his stupidity. TCU was a long time ago, buttwipe. You're a wackass, poor version of Oakley... but he was GREAT because he knew his role. Go Get traded KT40.
Wanted: Patience and Brilliance
islesfan
Alba Posts: 37
Member: #712
10/6/2004  11:07 AM
What is Dr Callahan's specialty? If she's not an orthopedist or dentist then why would she have final say on things like Houston's knee rehab and dental work? It seems pretty odd that one person would be the No. 1 decision maker for cases in which they don't specialize in.

Callahan's hiring is said to be unrelated to her discovery of Baker's life-threatening irregular heartbeat — which went undetected, Baker believes, for nine years.

If Baker had the irregular heartbeat for the last 9 years, including when he was at the top of his game and an all star, then why did some people insist that it was a major cause for his game to deteriorate the past year? Why do some people think that all of a sudden, having it fixed it going to make him the kind of player that isn't on the downside of his career?

So much for the wannabe cardiologists on this board who shall remain nameless, Bonn, who claimed that the heart surgery would make him a more productive player when he had the heart condition in his all star days. Gee, maybe it was his alcohol dependency and the fact that he's 33 that caused his game to decline.

If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
fishmike
USA
10/6/2004  11:18 AM
maybe it was progressive? Like you, I'm not a cardiologist, but most heart problems and issues are progressive. The longer an issue goes untreated the more symptoms and the greater risk of complications. Thus the whole early detection idea.

I dont think anyone will Say Baker's decline wasnt related to him boozing and getting fat. However the main reason the Celtics played so well was Baker's start last year. Look at his game log. He had some monster games and the Celtics were winning. Vin was in great shape and ran out of gas. Maybe thats why he started drinking again... who knows? The point is he was effective for stretches last year, dominating for other stretches and he wasnt healthy. Now he is. He could be a great value off the bench.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=1279
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/6/2004  11:26 AM
Isles,

She specialize in "Happy Ending"

On the dark side, why take such a negative view. Your professing the same thing you slaming. You have no idea either to his health.

Bodies change dude, one day your good, then next you are not. In a condition like Vins, he was able to function, but little by little it gets worse. He was getting depressed and drank. A bad spiral.

More oxygen in the bloodstream is always a good thing if your deprived of it. Sure the relapse to booze hurt. Putting toxins in you body is never good and futher deprives the body of oxygen and nutrients from foods.

Imagine if how good that would have sounded if I stayed in a holiday inn last night?

[Edited by - nalod on 10/06/2004 11:38:12]
islesfan
10/6/2004  11:33 AM
You don't need to specialize in cardiology to detect an irregular heartbeat. An internist or family doctor could but that's not the point. Why give a single doctor the final say on treating cases in which they don't specialize in? It just doesn't make any sense.

I'm not saying that Baker can't be effective in stretches. You can basically say that for most NBA players. I'm just saying that those people who insinuated that his heart condition was a cause for his decline in play last year didn't take into account that he had the same condition for a longer period of time, including a period when Baker was an all star. As you pointed out, he had some "monster" games last season with the irregular heartbeat.
If it didn’t work in Phoenix with Nash and Stoutamire... it’s just not a winning formula. It’s an entertaining formula, but not a winning one. - Derek Harper talking about D'Antoni's System
crzymdups
Member: #671
USA
10/6/2004  11:34 AM
Posted by islesfan:

What is Dr Callahan's specialty? If she's not an orthopedist or dentist then why would she have final say on things like Houston's knee rehab and dental work? It seems pretty odd that one person would be the No. 1 decision maker for cases in which they don't specialize in.

Callahan's hiring is said to be unrelated to her discovery of Baker's life-threatening irregular heartbeat — which went undetected, Baker believes, for nine years.

If Baker had the irregular heartbeat for the last 9 years, including when he was at the top of his game and an all star, then why did some people insist that it was a major cause for his game to deteriorate the past year? Why do some people think that all of a sudden, having it fixed it going to make him the kind of player that isn't on the downside of his career?

So much for the wannabe cardiologists on this board who shall remain nameless, Bonn, who claimed that the heart surgery would make him a more productive player when he had the heart condition in his all star days. Gee, maybe it was his alcohol dependency and the fact that he's 33 that caused his game to decline.

Isles, Baker's decline started a long time ago. He initially went downhill when traded to Seattle, then WAAAY downhill after the lockout. He never truly recaptured his game. I can find it feasible that the heart thing impacted his game, but it was also clearly the alcohol. Also, I think for someone as sensitive as him, being in Seattle where it rains 200 days a year and his family is 3500 miles away didn't help. Now, he's sober, heart's healthy and he's close to his family. It'd be nice if he could come back and contribute. I don't expect much, but I won't root against him either.

But the important news here is that Norman "the scapel" Scott isn't in charge anymore. This is HUGE. This guy destroyed Allan, Dyess, Camby and countless others (Ewing?) by mistimed surgeries, misdiagonosis, telling players they were cleared to play before they were and bad judgement in general. Seriously, look at the way the Camby, Ewing, Dyess and Houston injuries and rehabs were handled in prior years. Some of it you can blame on pressure from the Garden to rush a guy back, but you need a doctor who will say, "No, this player is not ready," or, "This player does need surgery." Etc. Hopefully, this person will finally be able to read injuries correctly. Norman Scott did a bad job handling our major injuries of the last 6 years, I was hoping this day would come.
¿ △ ?
islesfan
10/6/2004  11:39 AM
Nalod, how am I being negative? I'm just taking Vin's word on his own body that suggested that he's had this condition for some time and not just last year when his game deteriorated.

The "Happy Ending" and Holiday Inn lines were pretty funny BTW.
islesfan
10/6/2004  11:45 AM
Posted by crzymdups:

But the important news here is that Norman "the scapel" Scott isn't in charge anymore. This is HUGE. This guy destroyed Allan, Dyess, Camby and countless others (Ewing?) by mistimed surgeries, misdiagonosis, telling players they were cleared to play before they were and bad judgement in general. Seriously, look at the way the Camby, Ewing, Dyess and Houston injuries and rehabs were handled in prior years. Some of it you can blame on pressure from the Garden to rush a guy back, but you need a doctor who will say, "No, this player is not ready," or, "This player does need surgery." Etc. Hopefully, this person will finally be able to read injuries correctly. Norman Scott did a bad job handling our major injuries of the last 6 years, I was hoping this day would come.

I still blame Norman Scott for Bernard King so I'm not sad to see someone rank ahead of him when it comes to the medical treatment of the players but unless Dr Callahan is an orthopedist, I don't understand why she would have final say concerning their treatment. If you guys tore up a knee, would you go looking for the best internist or the best orthopedist?
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/6/2004  11:46 AM
Drink the bug juice! Drink the Red if you want the truth, blue if you want to beleive.

THE Father will embrace you. Salvation awaits...........(angels sing)

The love, its all around.................Love is all you need
TheloniusMonk
Member: #705
USA
10/6/2004  11:55 AM
Islesfan, what you're saying is pathetic man. You're argument is soooooo weak. What was said is "the heart condition THAT VIN BELIEVES WENT UNDETECTED FOR 9 YEARS". Is Vin Baker a doctor? No. Is this what a pro told him? No. Your argument is that everyone else was wrong about the condition possibly changing his play. Your argument is that HE DEFINITELY HAD THE CONDITION DURING HIS ALLSTAR DAYS. Who said that?....besides the line in the article that said "which Vin believes went undetetcted for 9 years"? Who knows why he could have thought he's had it for 9 years? Maybe he was short of breath for years but got progressively worse. Or maybe he did NOT have the condition at all. So you see, you're trying to find something to be negative about but unless a doctor says that this is the case you have no definitive ground to stand on. Case closed.
'You can catch me in Hollis at the hero shop!' -Tony Yayo
fishmike
USA
10/6/2004  11:59 AM
I don't understand why she would have final say concerning their treatment. If you guys tore up a knee, would you go looking for the best internist or the best orthopedist?
Depends on her qualifiations. Its one thing to make decisions based on information and data. Thats what she's being asked to do. Its another thing to actually perform the surgery.

I work in IT. My specialty is integrating multiple platforms. I'm good at making things work together. I can tell when a database query is performing poorly and needs to be changed. I'm not the best to actually do that job however, but I could oversee it and make sure its done and tested properly.

This team has a bad medical track record with its players. Getting someone in here with say makes a lot of sense. Just because she's not an orthopedic surgeon doesnt mean she cant decide whats good practice and what isnt.

Your reading too much into a decision w/ Isiah's name on it. Supposedly this lady is world renowned.
diderotn
Member: #650
USA
10/6/2004  12:03 PM
Au contraire my friends, Kurt definitely doesn't fit in this system. When you have a running team, you can't have a slow PF/C like Kurt Thomas on the court to slow the game down. I like Kurt, but Sweetney and JYD fit better than he does right now. Lenny will not be obligated to run that lazzy pick & roll that some of you claimed very effective. To me, P&roll is very defendable. Didn't you all see what the triangle defense do to the P&roll?

My starting lineup

Vinny
Sweetney
TT
Crawff
Marb

Second string

Brewer
HOuston
Penny
JYD
NASER.
The true Knickabocker..........
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
10/6/2004  12:06 PM
Posted by fishmike:

However the main reason the Celtics played so well was Baker's start last year. Look at his game log. He had some monster games and the Celtics were winning. Vin was in great shape and ran out of gas. Maybe thats why he started drinking again... who knows? The point is he was effective for stretches last year, dominating for other stretches and he wasnt healthy. Now he is. He could be a great value off the bench.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?statsId=1279

wow, is anyone else checking out this link?

Vin had some really good games at the beginning of the year. If he is even close to being able to perform that way they Knicks will be on their way to a good season.
Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
TMS
Alba Posts: 617
Member: #674
USA
10/6/2004  12:12 PM
i think anyone here w/o a doctorate in medical sciences needs to shut up about this, because it's really a non-issue...they could name Donald Duck as head medical decision maker or whatever other new job they want to create...

fans should care about WHO's on the TEAM & how they're performing, not what doctor is diagnosing & treating their stubbed toes & ingrown toenails, much less complicated internal medicine issues that none of us have zero knowledge on in all probability.
After 7 years & 40K+ posts, banned by martin for calling Nalod a 'moron'. Awesome.
fishmike
USA
10/6/2004  12:14 PM
everyone like to mention what can go wrong with the Knicks, but there are an awfull lot of things that can go right also... Maybe Houston doesnt play much early, but what if Vin has games like he had start of last year? There's upside here, and not just with the young guys.

The good thing about Vin is his physical problems arent athletic ones. You saw he could still really move last year and 33 isnt young but its not totally washed up either. We are talking about a stop gap 2 year center here.
Bonn1997
Alba Posts: 2
Member: #581
USA
10/6/2004  12:19 PM
maybe it was progressive? Like you, I'm not a cardiologist, but most heart problems and issues are progressive.
I was gonna say the exact same thing in response to Isles comment, but you beat me to it.
ISIAH GIVES TEAM A NEW HEALTH PLAN

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy