[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks training camp
Author Thread
manilaballer
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #521
Philippines
10/6/2004  12:51 AM
Any news? Who's looking good? Who's out of shape? Who's playing well? I simply CANNOT wait 'til the pre-season starts!
KNICKS 2006
AUTOADVERT
mintyfreshness33
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #586
USA
10/6/2004  1:25 AM
vinny is skinny

in the media day picture he looked like kevin garnett with a big head. Im realli excited about the season, vin is in shape, nazr is stronger, so is tim, and allan is feeling better.
Rich
Alba Posts: 6
Member: #511
USA
10/6/2004  2:07 AM
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/10/06/sports/basketball/06knicks.html

October 6, 2004
Houston Watches as Knicks Open Camp
By HOWARD BECK

CHARLESTON, S.C., Oct. 5 - - The Knicks' future, presumed to be a brighter, more enjoyable ride than the recent past, began to take shape Tuesday in a nondescript gymnasium tucked into a modest liberal arts college.

Stephon Marbury, Jamal Crawford and Mike Sweetney, embodying the hope of a new era and carrying the expectations of a swagger-prone general manager, took the court together for the first time.

The scrimmage at the College of Charleston was closed to the news media, but it is presumed that Isiah Thomas smiled approvingly at his creation.

These are, in relative terms, high times for the franchise, coming off its first playoff appearance in three years, bursting with the intrigue of young talent and emboldened by a realignment that makes the Knicks a threat to win their division. That would make them no worse than a No. 3-seeded team, and there are even murmurs that the Knicks could be - seriously - the fourth-best team in the ever-shaky Eastern Conference of the N.B.A.

None of this is unreasonable, except to the extent that it all depends greatly on the one Knick who spent exactly zero minutes scrimmaging on the first day of training camp. While his teammates ran the court, Allan Houston worked on agility drills with the strength coach Greg Brittenham.

Houston, the Knicks' best shooter, their only proven playoff performer, their longtime go-to scorer and their locker-room leader, is a man with suspect knees and no timetable for returning. He is not expected to scrimmage Wednesday, either, and it seems no one - Houston, Coach Lenny Wilkens, Thomas or anyone else - can say, or is willing to say, when he might be ready for action.

Indeed, nearly everything concerning Houston's health - his training regimen, his schedule for beginning on-court activity, his availability for the Nov. 3 season opener - is a mystery.

"I don't want to think about tomorrow or Nov. 3,'' Houston said after the team's morning session. "I'm thinking about today and making progress every day.''

So goes the official, pointedly ambiguous Houston mantra, which is generally repeated by every member of the Knicks' hierarchy. Caution remains the standing order, lest the Knicks have a repeat of last season, when Houston missed 32 games, or of two seasons ago, when Antonio McDyess returned too quickly from knee surgery and sustained a season-ending injury in a preseason game.

Thomas has said that Houston could play, if needed, right now. The stated goal, however, is to ensure that his troublesome knees can last through an entire season and, the Knicks hope, a long playoff run. That said, it is not clear what Houston has to do to prove his readiness, to himself or to Knicks officials.

"Not only does he have to come to me, but the trainer and the doctors,'' Wilkens said. "Everybody's got to tell me, so that I'm comfortable, too. But he's working real hard in his therapy and stuff like that. He's able to run, he's feeling better all the time. But I think we need to wait. I don't think there's any reason to rush. Not after seeing what happened last year.''

While Houston plays the part of the frustrated spectator, the Knicks are trying to sort out a roster similarly steeped in uncertainty.

At the moment, only Marbury and Tim Thomas, at small forward, appear to be locks for the starting lineup.

Crawford could be the answer at shooting guard if Houston is not ready for opening night, but he is only 24 years old and not yet a consistent performer. Kurt Thomas is the sturdy incumbent at power forward, but his name surfaces in trade rumors almost weekly, and Knicks officials are giddy over the progress of Sweetney, entering his second pro season.

"Sweetney has made a huge jump," Wilkens said. "So I feel real comfortable sticking him in there now.''

Only four Knicks remain from last October, and two of them, Kurt Thomas and Shandon Anderson, are perpetual trade bait, making it ever more difficult to gauge team chemistry, or forecast the team's chances.

"It's definitely different,'' Kurt Thomas said of the new-look Knicks. "But hopefully everything will be for the good.''

REBOUNDS

The Knicks have hired MATT DOHERTY, the former Notre Dame and North Carolina coach, as a part-time scout. ... Four free agents in search of a roster spot have joined the Knicks in camp: center MENGKE BATEER, guard ANDRE BARRETT and forwards TRACY MURRAY and BRENT WRIGHT. ...Knicks Coach LENNY WILKENS said that SHANDON ANDERSON's feud with the front office would not affect their player-coach relationship, and that Anderson would be given every chance to earn a rotation spot.

Copyright 2004 The New York Times Company
Mac
Member: #470
Japan
10/6/2004  2:26 AM
"Sweetney has made a huge jump," Wilkens said. "So I feel real comfortable sticking him in there now.''

Good read.
EnySpree
Alba Posts: 138
Member: #397

10/6/2004  7:22 PM
Posted by Mac:

Good read.

That's not the first person to give Sweetney some praise. I can't freakin wait till the season starts.
Subscribe to my Podcast https://youtube.com/c/DiehardknicksPodcast https://twitter.com/DiehardknicksPC?t=z5pqPMhdiAZNwzcCGMkiFw&s=09
gunsnewing
Alba Posts: 5
Member: #215
USA
10/6/2004  7:46 PM
Hell Yeah...Mr. Sweetney will lead us to the promise land!
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/6/2004  7:52 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

With a little help from Craw, TT, and some guy named Stephon (Anyone heard of him?)
TRU
Member: #196
USA
10/6/2004  8:49 PM
Posted by gunsnewing:

Stop smokin' them "tweeds" for cry-sake.

Wait for him to do something outside of summer league play before you crown him MVP.
Let it be known: I believe in the Knicks this year-- deep into the playoffs, I swear to you my brothers...
manilaballer
Member: #521
Philippines
10/8/2004  7:26 PM
SWEETS!!!

I'm also excited at what Vin can do if he can put his act together.
KNICKS 2006
Knicks training camp

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy