[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Stars, Ewing, Oak
Author Thread
LongIslandKnicksFan
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #496
USA
10/5/2004  5:13 PM
It makes me very, very upset to look back on the days of the Knicks of the 90's, and how many times we have cried, and cheered, and laughed, and loved our beloved Knicks. From John Starks to Patrick Ewing, and from Derek Harper, to Charles Oakley, the Knicks of the early to mid 90's had a chance to win it all, especially when MJ was outi in 1994. If Stark's shots went down, we would of won the Game 7 against the tough Houston Rockets... We need players like that. Crawford is a good start, a young John Starks type player, and Tim Thomas, if he can break out of his shell, can be a really good player. Then we have Vin Baker, coming back from his heart surgery, and things sound very good with him and how he is doing. And then we have Allan Houston, whom I think is pretty much done..If the Knicks got Dampier in the offseason, they would have been a really, really, good team with a chance to contend. Michael Sweetney is coming into his own, and might even have a breakout year this season! Who knows what the future will hold, but the Knicks of the 90's were so gritty, and fun to watch, especially with the wars in the playoffs with the Pacers, Bulls, and other teams, that it made them one of the best era's in Knicks franchise besides the 1969 and 1972 championship teams. It is very sad to even talk about it, because the Knicks of today are not even like the Knicks of 1994... Isiah is not done...We will hopefully get to there very soon.
AUTOADVERT
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/5/2004  6:41 PM
Too bad we still didn't have that team. Those Knicks in today's NBA would have had a VERY good chance to take home the hardware.
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
10/5/2004  7:18 PM
That team would be a little old by now!

Its nice to remember when. 10 years ago, been so long!

Too bad we traded all those draft picks for guys at the end of their career. Too bad Bianchi sucked, and checkets never kept any youth!

It almost worked. But it did not.
MaTT4281
Alba Posts: 4
Member: #538
USA
10/5/2004  7:24 PM
That team would be a little old by now!

Heh, not exactly what I meant, but my posts are up for interpretation.
Nalod
USA
10/5/2004  7:33 PM
I know dude, just having a chuckle

Hey, I would rather reach back and pine for Earl "black Jesus" Monroe and Clyde to play again! Clyde was so freaking good, but Earl had a magic about him that was all 1970's cool! They had a guy "dancing harry" whom followed earl up from baltimore and did this funky dance thing during time outs and always ended it with a "whammy" move on the visiting team. it was a hoot!

No cheerleaders, no pumped up crowd noise, no van halen songs, just some cool organ tunes, and the roar of the garden. No cheerleaders either. Ok, that sucked!

Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/5/2004  7:54 PM
Posted by Nalod:

I know dude, just having a chuckle

Hey, I would rather reach back and pine for Earl "black Jesus" Monroe and Clyde to play again! Clyde was so freaking good, but Earl had a magic about him that was all 1970's cool! They had a guy "dancing harry" whom followed earl up from baltimore and did this funky dance thing during time outs and always ended it with a "whammy" move on the visiting team. it was a hoot!

No cheerleaders, no pumped up crowd noise, no van halen songs, just some cool organ tunes, and the roar of the garden. No cheerleaders either. Ok, that sucked!

Damn Nalod I feel bad for you - I think you're as old as me!!! Remember this one from the playgrounds - "Jesus - Black Jesus. Jesus - Black Jesus." Kept it up the entire time Earl was on the court. Everyone would come out and stay all night to see him play and they wouldn't stop chanting. Now no disrespect to old-time NY fans, but Nalod I know you know the Bullets were a much badder team. Gus Johnson held the torch with Connie Hawkins from Elgin Baylor before they passed it on to the Doctor. Was he too freaking much? EVERYBODY was afraid of him. Wilt got out of his freakin' way! And Jack Marin, with that sick outside shot and that sicker raspberry all over his body! Loughery, how tough was he at guard? Like one of the Westies. Only guard in the league except Attles that actually scared Sloan and Van Lier!! And Big Wes - good lord, what a load. Guy out-Sapped Warren. See that, now I'm droolin' on my sweater - i'm gonna have to take the teeth out and get put to bed! And damn right I remember Dancin' Harry!
Nalod
USA
10/5/2004  11:15 PM
Marv, I think you got me a few years. Bullets-knicks were hotter than knicks-celts. In 71 I think the Bullets elliminated the knicks. earl was sick on Clyde and the knicks. Gus-Debussure, Bradley-marin (Strawberry! HA!) Wes-Willis. I can't remember whom Barnnet played against? Too early for Chenier (clyde clone) and terry porter was after. They were great matchups. When Mike riorden was on the team, he gave bradley fits. I think the knicks got earl cuz clyde could not guard him. Then also did not want Earl going to the ABA, so the knicks got him cheap. Was it Mike Riorden, John Stallworth, and a pick? Oh, and Frank Williams of course!

I don't remember the chants of "black Jesus". I read about how Winston salem state would pack gyms all over to see him perform. THis guy was a big time talent playing in a little "Black" college just killing everybody. He had groupies and a following like very few. Also in that region you had ML Carr and Lloyd Free just tearing it up at Guilford COllege in Greensboro a few years later. Guilford was a little NAIA liberal arts private school run by the Quakers (Friends). They just tore it up. Remember these little teams played in the shadows of UNC, NC state, Duke and Wake Forest. All powerhouse ACC teams!

I got to see Connie hawkins on the suns play in 1971-72 when I was real young and recall he was past his prime, but was just so long and had the biggest hands back then. HIs story is legend, and his talent obscure in the early ABA. He was the first DR. J. Elgin being in the NBA inhibited his showmanship, but Connie from what I read was the show back then. I am sure the Stodgy NBA would have thwarted his flair also.

I loved the ABA, and my first games were net games when rick barry was playing.

Golden days for me. Between 1970-1976 the Knicks won 2 of 3 finals trips, and the Nets won 2 of 2. It was norm in my world that my two favorite teams were gonna be in the thick of it. By 1977 they traded Clyde to Cleveland, and DR J was sold to the Sixers. THe nets had one year on Long Island with Nate Arhcibald, but early int he year he tore up his knee and was never the same. Imagine the hype of the ABA champion Nets, with a in prime Tiny coming to the NBA! Never happened.

The ABA Nets were great teams, and we went often. Guys like Billy Paultz, Larry Keenon, Billy Taylor, Super John, John Roche, Bill Melcionni, Jim Chones, agaist some of the toughest ABA badazz characters so beligerent it would make Spree look like a cheerleader!

There have been a few books and websites kept with great throw back jerseys about the ABA. Hbo Ran a documentary on it a few years back about the ABA. I have a copy on VHS. Big afros, tacky clothes, lose hoops, lots of blow........those were the days.

Great times for ny hoops!

raven
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #316
Canada
10/6/2004  3:36 AM
Hey guys, just out of curiosity, could you please tell us which old people's homes do you currently live in ?
Marv
Alba Posts: 69
Member: #315
10/6/2004  7:50 AM
Posted by raven:

Hey guys, just out of curiosity, could you please tell us which old people's homes do you currently live in ?

You know the one - it's at 33rd and 7th. They feed us the leftover popcorn now that Lampe's gone!

Great great post, Nalod. Btw, for anyone who hasn't read it, "Loose Balls" by Terry Pluto is an hysterical accounting of the ABA days. I'll tell you one thing - Larry Brown could ball!
Nalod
USA
10/6/2004  9:33 AM
Lose balls, thats it, I got a copy. Lots of fun!

Old people's homes?

Raven thats cold. I stood up against french bashing many a time last year and you hit me with that! LOL!

No sweat man, we old folk just see there is more to compare than 1990s knicks. We remember the 80's and it was a bad place for our teams. A few bright spots of course, but mostly Starphuching for many a year.

toodarkmark
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #515
USA
10/6/2004  10:00 AM
Posted by raven:

Hahahah!
I don't care what people think. People are stupid. - Charles Barkley
Stars, Ewing, Oak

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy