[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Mike Woodson over Tom t
Author Thread
PhilinLA
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #696
7/14/2020  12:46 PM
Hard pass on all retreads.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/14/2020  1:33 PM
Chandler wrote:back to the original post:

fishmike brings up some good points on Tom T

having said that,i think the concern with Mike Woodson and Tom T is the same: their best days might be behind them. We have seen this story many times before including from coaches with even better histories.

Now I can't guarantee his best days are behind him, but that would be my number 1 concern if i were calling the shots. As i mentioned in other posts, prior HC experience is far from a must for winning. Nurse, Kerr, Lue, Spolestra, Jackson (back in the day) and others have enjoyed great success on their first gig (sometimes their first year)

If I were boss, I want to know (1) does the candidate seem a step ahead of the competition and (2) hopefully, is he getting better, growing

The young coaches you posted in hindsight had a talented team. Jax got a team that drafted well and was patient. Imagine Kerr instead of Fish? I don’t see great success in that instance.

smackeddog
Member: #883
7/15/2020  2:47 AM

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/15/2020  9:55 AM
Kidd has his character flaws but he is intriguing. As i mentioned in other threads, in some ways he reminds me of a Donnie Nelson or George Karl -- guys who saw things and devised angles and seemed in some ways a step ahead, but at the same time seemed unstable.

We could do a lot worse.

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
7/15/2020  1:46 PM
Daily News has a compelling nice article about Udoka. Nalod has no clear cut favorite in part because I don’t know the metrics by which we are constructing a roster going forward.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/15/2020  2:18 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2020  2:20 PM
Chandler wrote:Kidd has his character flaws but he is intriguing.

His practical ceiling is an assistant coach who runs the defense once he learns to adjust to his personnel( His defensive schemes weren't effective over time, but at least it was aggressive. There's room here for gradual improvement ) Kidd just needed time as an assistant coach first, not jumping right into the head coaching slot.

As for power conflicts, that's pretty much standard in all of professional sports.

Two things

1) The domestic violence thing will follow him like a hungry dog chasing a guy with bacon in his pockets. It makes things exponentially difficult for him even though it was a long time ago.

2) The media has torn Captain Valtrex apart because he crossed the line with a major player in the mass media market. If the media dug deep on ANYONE in the NBA, they could tear them apart. Cal Ripken Jr was pretty notorious but he was a media darling because he played along. As a head coach, you have to play the game with agents, the media, owners, brands, other coaches, etc, etc.

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
7/15/2020  3:34 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:Thibs would be so much better and is so much better than Woodson is laughable. Same with Mike Miller. Folks dont want to chase Lebron because they like David Lee part 2. Thibs took a 500 Bulls team to 60 wins in year one. Minn had their only winning season since KG was there under Thibs. He was instrumental in Boston championship. All he does he work hard and win. Thibs would be a great hire. Reminds of Carlisle going to the Mavs. He was replaced by Larry Brown and Pistons immediately won a title and the knocks on Carlisle were similar to what folks like to regurgitate about Thibs

Thibs would be a great hire. Someone like Jay Wright would be interesting. Woodson is the definition of a retread and he's had more losing seasons than winning ones. Mike Miller is a stop gap.

Thibs checks most of the boxes. Winning record as a coach, won division titles, defensive minded coach, was the coach when Minny made their 1st playoff appearance after missing the previous 13 years and developed a 30th pick in the draft, Jimmy Butler, into an allstar player. His resume looks really good, but I do have some concerns hiring him for This Team.

The Knicks as a franchise are at ground zero which is a place that Thibs has never coached from before. Minny was young and building when he got there, but they were much further along than we are today. In his first year, they won 31 games. It wasn't until he traded for his former Bulls (Butler, Rose, Gibson) and other vets (Teague) that they won 47 games in his second year and made the playoffs. Keep in mind, the T Wolves turned into a **** show the next year under Thibs' watch. My biggest concern with Thibs coming here is that his presence may cause us to skip steps in this rebuild and start reaching for vets and players to help us compete right away and chase the same 8th seed his Timberwolves achieved. We need a coach that is in it for the long haul, will grow with the team and allow us to not skip steps. Thibs strikes me as a coach you hire to finish the deal, not to begin the process.

Rightly or wrongly, perception is reality to a lot of people. And the perception of Thibs that's out there is not a good one. I was watching NBA the Jump, and Paul Pierce who played for Thibs when he was an assistant with the Celts mentioned that Thibs personality and overbearing ways may clash with today's players. He didn't give his former coach a ringing endorsement. If the Knicks are still delusional enough to believe that can attract free agents, even though this has never been a coveted destination, then Thibs would not be the way to go based on his perception.

Lastly, in Boston and Chicago, Thibs was known as a defensive guru. But his defense failed him in Minny. His defense was stellar for more years than it wasn't, but his poor defensive display in Minny also goes on his resume. Did the league catch up to his defensive principles? The league changed and was able to exploit his ICE pick and roll coverage. With that said, Thibs has been coaching for a long time, I'm certain he can adjust to the new pace and space NBA. But to what level?

I think Thibs is a good coach, I'm just not sure he is the right coach for where we are in our process.

good post, I really appreciate this. For me it really boils down to the bold. The one thing I know you get with Thibs is a good coach. He may not be the best fit, he may be perfect and really benefited from prior mistakes and experience. I dont know but we know he's a good coach and as you aptly put checks the boxes. I can work with that. Honest question (not directed at uptown)... what boxes do Woodson and Mike Miller check off?

Can Thibs build a program? Its all guesswork. We know nothing about what this management plans.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
wargames
Member: #6053

7/15/2020  3:46 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/15/2020  3:46 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:Thibs would be so much better and is so much better than Woodson is laughable. Same with Mike Miller. Folks dont want to chase Lebron because they like David Lee part 2. Thibs took a 500 Bulls team to 60 wins in year one. Minn had their only winning season since KG was there under Thibs. He was instrumental in Boston championship. All he does he work hard and win. Thibs would be a great hire. Reminds of Carlisle going to the Mavs. He was replaced by Larry Brown and Pistons immediately won a title and the knocks on Carlisle were similar to what folks like to regurgitate about Thibs

Thibs would be a great hire. Someone like Jay Wright would be interesting. Woodson is the definition of a retread and he's had more losing seasons than winning ones. Mike Miller is a stop gap.

Thibs checks most of the boxes. Winning record as a coach, won division titles, defensive minded coach, was the coach when Minny made their 1st playoff appearance after missing the previous 13 years and developed a 30th pick in the draft, Jimmy Butler, into an allstar player. His resume looks really good, but I do have some concerns hiring him for This Team.

The Knicks as a franchise are at ground zero which is a place that Thibs has never coached from before. Minny was young and building when he got there, but they were much further along than we are today. In his first year, they won 31 games. It wasn't until he traded for his former Bulls (Butler, Rose, Gibson) and other vets (Teague) that they won 47 games in his second year and made the playoffs. Keep in mind, the T Wolves turned into a **** show the next year under Thibs' watch. My biggest concern with Thibs coming here is that his presence may cause us to skip steps in this rebuild and start reaching for vets and players to help us compete right away and chase the same 8th seed his Timberwolves achieved. We need a coach that is in it for the long haul, will grow with the team and allow us to not skip steps. Thibs strikes me as a coach you hire to finish the deal, not to begin the process.

Rightly or wrongly, perception is reality to a lot of people. And the perception of Thibs that's out there is not a good one. I was watching NBA the Jump, and Paul Pierce who played for Thibs when he was an assistant with the Celts mentioned that Thibs personality and overbearing ways may clash with today's players. He didn't give his former coach a ringing endorsement. If the Knicks are still delusional enough to believe that can attract free agents, even though this has never been a coveted destination, then Thibs would not be the way to go based on his perception.

Lastly, in Boston and Chicago, Thibs was known as a defensive guru. But his defense failed him in Minny. His defense was stellar for more years than it wasn't, but his poor defensive display in Minny also goes on his resume. Did the league catch up to his defensive principles? The league changed and was able to exploit his ICE pick and roll coverage. With that said, Thibs has been coaching for a long time, I'm certain he can adjust to the new pace and space NBA. But to what level?

I think Thibs is a good coach, I'm just not sure he is the right coach for where we are in our process.

good post, I really appreciate this. For me it really boils down to the bold. The one thing I know you get with Thibs is a good coach. He may not be the best fit, he may be perfect and really benefited from prior mistakes and experience. I dont know but we know he's a good coach and as you aptly put checks the boxes. I can work with that. Honest question (not directed at uptown)... what boxes do Woodson and Mike Miller check off?

Can Thibs build a program? Its all guesswork. We know nothing about what this management plans.

His defense is outdated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2016/12/05/minnesota-timberwolves-tom-thibodeau-defensive-scheme/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-destruction-1821265024/amp

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Chandler

7/15/2020  6:04 PM
smackeddog wrote:Still maddening we could have had Bud but went for Fiz instead! Is there anyone who wouldn't take Bud over any of our candidates this time round?!

New meaning to "This Bud's for you (Milwaukee)"

(5)(5)
Nalod
USA
7/15/2020  10:28 PM
“Our process”? In the room where it happens is where the process lies. We are outside the room.
How can we judge Thibs as a good fit when we don’t know where we are going or where we are in the process?
There is a chess game being played on a board that now includes massive cash flow hits to the cap and some teams ownerships will be needy. Here is what we know, the league can lend teams money and will have a buyer lined up if they can’t pay. Someone will and the valuation will be protected. Its are sort of cartel our NBA. Sterling lost his team and got a record payday despite the offense.
Back on task..........Thibs is the devil you know vs. the bright assistant you don’t.
What is “The Process”? Don’t know. What is the real view of our youth? Who is legit vs Who gets scrapped? Can any be salvaged?
What coach can World Wide Wes Sell to free agents along with a city that never sleeps and the worlds most famous arena?
I’m rooting for Lakers to win and Anthony Davis get his ring.
Or Giannis. Once done then they can move on.
One part starphuch Free agent signing.
One part draft an all star.
One part trade for an all star. Then there were three.
For now RJ might be our draftee. He’d be no. 1 pick in this draft.
I know a lot, but I don’t know ****. I’m not in the room either.
TripleThreat
Member: #3997

7/15/2020  11:18 PM
Chandler wrote:having said that,i think the concern with Mike Woodson and Tom T is the same: their best days might be behind them. We have seen this story many times before including from coaches with even better histories.

Thibs is 62. Ageism is very real in any aspect of any career, esp professional sports.

Spolestra is close to 50, so his profile against the NBA work grind is a different animal. But Thibs? Also COVID19 does no favors for older coaches either.

Here's the stone cold reality. Whomever the Knicks hire will likely be fired within three years. That's just how it works. This is a losing team and has been a losing team for a while. If you become head coach of the Cleveland Browns, what do you think your chances are of lasting X number of years in that job?

Thibs is at a point where he should have turned his career towards an executive role, to prolong his NBA usefulness.

Knicks don't need a world beater, they need someone who is simply not incompetent. For example, Michelle Obamas brother is incompetent at the NBA level. Rich Kotite was incompetent. Rex Ryan was competent but made bad choices. The difference is the minimum skill set needed to do the job.

Another way to put it, be nice if the Knicks could get a world class surgeon. But the bare minimum is a guy who graduated medical school.

Any coach you hire will likely be gone in three years. The X factor is with COVID19, teams might be hesitant to shake up their front office while so many other uncertainties are afloat.

What Rose is doing right is arming up and overpaying cap guys. The league marketplace and internal economy is going to be totally ****ed up for the next few years. Who you get to do X's and O's doesn't matter if you **** up the money side of the game. If you get the money right and the analytics right, you will lead towards correct market based decisions, which increase your odds to find value in the draft and in FA , which increases the resource/talent base to help your coach win. ANY COACH.

If Rich Kotite had the early 90's Dallas Cowboys roster, he'd have 3-4 SuperBowl rings. Look at the KC Chiefs right now, Andy Reid is competent enough to not **** it up. That they drafted a franchise QB and retained a young valuable core is based on their nerd brain trust working the NFL salary cap.

The coach means nothing unless you get the resource management side of the game down right. That's it. It is that simple.

Be excited about the calculator brigade that Leon Rose is hiring. That's going to make the bottom line difference for this team.

smackeddog
7/16/2020  5:43 AM
Chandler wrote:
smackeddog wrote:Still maddening we could have had Bud but went for Fiz instead! Is there anyone who wouldn't take Bud over any of our candidates this time round?!

New meaning to "This Bud's for you (Milwaukee)"

ha!

fishmike
USA
7/16/2020  2:00 PM
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

His defense is outdated

https://www.google.com/amp/s/fansided.com/2016/12/05/minnesota-timberwolves-tom-thibodeau-defensive-scheme/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/deadspin.com/tom-thibodeau-is-destruction-1821265024/amp

so are your articles
wargames
Member: #6053

7/16/2020  2:11 PM
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

His defense is outdated

so are your articles

Wow I bet you feel witty.... but nope those are called a record of past performance

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Chandler

7/16/2020  5:25 PM
TripleThreat wrote:
Chandler wrote:having said that,i think the concern with Mike Woodson and Tom T is the same: their best days might be behind them. We have seen this story many times before including from coaches with even better histories.

Thibs is 62. Ageism is very real in any aspect of any career, esp professional sports.

Spolestra is close to 50, so his profile against the NBA work grind is a different animal. But Thibs? Also COVID19 does no favors for older coaches either.

Here's the stone cold reality. Whomever the Knicks hire will likely be fired within three years. That's just how it works. This is a losing team and has been a losing team for a while. If you become head coach of the Cleveland Browns, what do you think your chances are of lasting X number of years in that job?

Thibs is at a point where he should have turned his career towards an executive role, to prolong his NBA usefulness.

Knicks don't need a world beater, they need someone who is simply not incompetent. For example, Michelle Obamas brother is incompetent at the NBA level. Rich Kotite was incompetent. Rex Ryan was competent but made bad choices. The difference is the minimum skill set needed to do the job.

Another way to put it, be nice if the Knicks could get a world class surgeon. But the bare minimum is a guy who graduated medical school.

Any coach you hire will likely be gone in three years. The X factor is with COVID19, teams might be hesitant to shake up their front office while so many other uncertainties are afloat.

What Rose is doing right is arming up and overpaying cap guys. The league marketplace and internal economy is going to be totally ****ed up for the next few years. Who you get to do X's and O's doesn't matter if you **** up the money side of the game. If you get the money right and the analytics right, you will lead towards correct market based decisions, which increase your odds to find value in the draft and in FA , which increases the resource/talent base to help your coach win. ANY COACH.

If Rich Kotite had the early 90's Dallas Cowboys roster, he'd have 3-4 SuperBowl rings. Look at the KC Chiefs right now, Andy Reid is competent enough to not **** it up. That they drafted a franchise QB and retained a young valuable core is based on their nerd brain trust working the NFL salary cap.

The coach means nothing unless you get the resource management side of the game down right. That's it. It is that simple.

Be excited about the calculator brigade that Leon Rose is hiring. That's going to make the bottom line difference for this team.

I think you're right. I mentioned before i suspect the ew plan is to at least get mediocre and respectable and then try and figure it out from there. If that is the plan, it suggests we hire Thibs and get vets.

Having said that, that plan itself has problems. a lot of teams can get trapped in mediocrity. You're a lot more likely to get your franchise altering talent picking early in the draft than in the middle.

Maybe they think that if they at least get respectable they can make the next jump by being a more viable jumps for some super FA -- Anthony Davis types

(5)(5)
Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/16/2020  10:29 PM
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Woodson and especially Miller do not check nearly as many boxes as Thibs which is why I don't consider them serious candidates to land the job. I love the potential of Will Hardy, Chris Fleming and Udoka, and the idea of perhaps finding the next young innovative coach like Spolestra or Brad Stevens that can grow with the team, but when you work for an impatient owner, now way can I see Rose's first hire being an assistant coach with zero head coaching experience.

That leaves Kidd, Atkinson and Thibs. They all have their flaws, but of the 3, IMO, Atkinson makes the most sense for our team and where we are in our rebuilding process. As an observer, I have no clue what managements plans are and they may see the Knicks as being closer to competing than I do. Because of the constant drama that surrounds this organization, based on Kidd's past antics, some may see Kidd as bit too risky. That leaves Thibs who already has a long relationship with Rose. Rose mentioned the need for the coach and the front office to be on the same page so who better for Rose to hire than someone he knows well. Also, let's be honest, Thibs is Rose's safest bet based on his record and past success.

Nalod
USA
7/16/2020  10:48 PM
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

His defense is outdated

so are your articles

Wow I bet you feel witty.... but nope those are called a record of past performance

Blogs on DeadSpin and fansided are opinions. Its ok to have them and its ok to not agree with them.
But its not absolute. Thibs has a winning history and some issues with his intensity. All well known.

Nalod
USA
7/16/2020  11:03 PM
Uptown wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

Woodson and especially Miller do not check nearly as many boxes as Thibs which is why I don't consider them serious candidates to land the job. I love the potential of Will Hardy, Chris Fleming and Udoka, and the idea of perhaps finding the next young innovative coach like Spolestra or Brad Stevens that can grow with the team, but when you work for an impatient owner, now way can I see Rose's first hire being an assistant coach with zero head coaching experience.

That leaves Kidd, Atkinson and Thibs. They all have their flaws, but of the 3, IMO, Atkinson makes the most sense for our team and where we are in our rebuilding process. As an observer, I have no clue what managements plans are and they may see the Knicks as being closer to competing than I do. Because of the constant drama that surrounds this organization, based on Kidd's past antics, some may see Kidd as bit too risky. That leaves Thibs who already has a long relationship with Rose. Rose mentioned the need for the coach and the front office to be on the same page so who better for Rose to hire than someone he knows well. Also, let's be honest, Thibs is Rose's safest bet based on his record and past success.

Add Woodson to the experienced. Rose and Thibs might be buds but that don’t mean they are comparable to the task. They might not agree on who goes, who stays, and the process to get there via roster construction. For all we know Thibs might be in line for a rockets or Philly gig and is ok with being a smoke screen as well has being a de-facto consultant to rose in his search. Thats just a guess. More than likely where there is smoke there is Thibs.
With Dolan, despite his stellar record of hiring minorities, the recent backlash on his lack of response might request we hire a black American coach. Dolan is often reactive.
If knicks are making a hire soon a coach still with a team in the hunt might not be available. Woodson, Kidd, Hardy, Udoka, Kidd, (who am I missing?) all are still in their season. Chris Fleming might be the next Bulls coach. In fact Knicks are not the only team looking for a coach!
As for fawning over Spoelstra, lets not forget the key to his longevity is the backing of his boss first and foremost. He stuck with him thru thick and thin. Continuity of the front office is key. Winning don’t hurt either!! But Spo has had seasons other teams would have likley seen as “time to go”.......

smackeddog
7/17/2020  4:25 AM
If this turns out to be true, it will make this thread quite funny:

fishmike
USA
7/17/2020  9:22 AM
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
Uptown wrote:

His defense is outdated

so are your articles

you mean a fan's opinion on past performance... well you didnt mean it but thats what you are presenting.
Mike Woodson over Tom t

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy