[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Knicks extending their coaching search...
Author Thread
wargames
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #6053

7/17/2020  12:33 AM
Nalod wrote:
wargames wrote:
fishmike wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Hardy's the only decent candidate. If the Knicks still go with a retread it is same old Knicks.

Really? Same old Knicks because they hired someone with coaching experience?

All Thibs has done in this league is win at every level.... but he's a retread? Or according to wargames its nepotism.

You know Doc Rivers was retread before he won in Boston? Did you know Rick Carlisle was retread before winning a title in Dallas?

Literally I have no idea what you guys are looking at.

How did Derrick Fisher work out? Fizdale? Imagine NOT hiring a guy because he checks all the boxes.. same old Knick fans!

I’ll be honest if it wasn’t for the fact Thibs was celebrating like he got his job because his buddy was made the POBO I wouldn’t look at him with as much disgust...... add to that his offensive/defensive flaws, his history of winning games by playing his starters to long, and the fact he completely crapped the bed with the Wolves and Nah I don’t expect him to make the Knicks a winner. This feels like a Larry Brown redux

Thibs is celebrating? Shyt, I was not at that party!!! damn.
Or, you just all upset that media keep saying he a lock despite the 11 interviews?
Let me say that no reporter is in on the interview so its all hearsay. In fact I hope Thibs did a great job but someone else blew the knicks away thats even better!!!! If we listened to media reagarding sports rumors we’d be all about KD’s health about now. There was a “lock” if we ever read one.
I read Giannis parents from Nigeria as is Udoka, so there might be a connection. seems like a stretch.
I don’t hear Steph curry pining anymore about missing mark Jax after he was fired. He gives him respect which is no doubt deserved. Knicks had Kerr on verbal at the time! Bottom line is talent. Kerr’s spinal issue and Melo would have likely been too much fo him to continue as knicks struggle for talent would have been.

End of the day if Knicks success will be mostly because of talent gains and not from who is the coach.

I don’t believe that Giannis rumor and think Atkinson and Kidd both make way more sense with a young team than Thibs.

It could all be rumors, but everybody is running with that Thibs favoritism rumor so let’s see what they say.

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
AUTOADVERT
smackeddog
Member: #883
7/17/2020  4:47 AM
Scoop B was hinting we're hiring Thibs with Woody and Mike Miller as assistant- no idea how reliable he is:

PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/17/2020  11:59 AM
Nalod wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Okay, guys, keep doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. We've only won with Holzman.

Holzman prior record was not predictor of what was to come. Certainly we had no winning culture. It was formula and a chemistry that developed. Red came back after a failed Willis reed experiment and could not replicate the magic. It takes talent to win!1

Grew up watching Holzman.None of these retreads is Holzman.

http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
GustavBahler
Alba Posts: 15
Member: #3186

7/17/2020  12:45 PM
PhilinLA wrote:
Nalod wrote:
PhilinLA wrote:Okay, guys, keep doing the same things over and over again and expecting different results. We've only won with Holzman.

Holzman prior record was not predictor of what was to come. Certainly we had no winning culture. It was formula and a chemistry that developed. Red came back after a failed Willis reed experiment and could not replicate the magic. It takes talent to win!1

Grew up watching Holzman.None of these retreads is Holzman.

+1

Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
7/17/2020  2:25 PM
Of course not.
You don't have the benefit of hindsight. after Belechek in Cleveland did anyone think he'd be the NFL GOAT?
No, of course not.
Red is golden. That was then. That team had men of character. Willis and Dave were respected leaders and worked in the game for years. Bradley, a Rhodes scholar and US senator who if the card fell might have been president of the U.S.A, Lucas could read a phone book and memorize it, Dr. Dick Barnett, Earl a Broadway producer, clyde a busines owner and broadcaster, Role player Phil Jax, the most decorated coach in the history of the game!
We got IsoZo.......

If Thibs wins two chips in NYC he is golden also!!!

PhilinLA
Member: #696
7/18/2020  9:20 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/18/2020  9:25 PM
Thibs can't win in NYC. I wonder why people think that some guys, who have been Knicks assistants before, didn't get asked to stay the first time,if future greatness was there. And the Knicks probably won't get another shot at Hardy if they don't hire him now.
http://amonthhoffundays.blogspot.com/ We got a ringer.
Nalod
USA
7/18/2020  11:42 PM
PhilinLA wrote:Thibs can't win in NYC. I wonder why people think that some guys, who have been Knicks assistants before, didn't get asked to stay the first time,if future greatness was there. And the Knicks probably won't get another shot at Hardy if they don't hire him now.

Why can’t Thibs win in NYC? You saying Knicks even with a fresh staff can’t draft or develop talent? Sure mistakes are made by every organization, but why can’t any coach regardless of past affiliations be a factor?

Uptown
Alba Posts: 3
Member: #1883

7/21/2020  10:49 AM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2020  1:50 PM
https://dailyknicks.com/2020/07/21/new-york-knicks-kenny-atkinson-third-interview/

For months, almost every report related to the New York Knicks‘ head coaching search has put Tom Thibodeau in the lead to land the position under new president Leon Rose. However, former Brooklyn Nets coach Kenny Atkinson might be making a late push for the job. According to Jonathan Macri of Sports Illustrated, Atkinson was interviewed by the Knicks on Monday, which appears to be his third interview with the team.

SNY has reported numerous times that Atkinson has internal support within the Knicks organization. He is one of 11 candidates, including interim coach Mike Miller, to be considered for the lead role. The New York Post reported that each candidate received two interviews: a short, introductory Zoom call followed by a more in-depth meeting.

While New York has met with a long list of potential hires, it’s believed to be a three-man race between Thibodeau, Atkinson, and Hall-of-Fame point guard Jason Kidd, who reportedly “wowed” Knicks brass during his interview. The New York Post has reported that Kidd is the lone “long-shot threat” to Thibs.

Is Kenny Atkinson a real contender for the Knicks job?
It’s unclear what this latest news about Atkinson means. The interview was later confirmed by Marc Berman of the New York Post. SNY’s Ian Begley recently spoke on ESPN radio in New York about the final hurdles remaining for a front-runner candidate, like Thibodeau, to clear: a contract must be negotiated and final sign-off is needed from owner James Dolan.

All indications have suggested the Knicks had completed their round of interviews and were simply finalizing their decision by the end of this month, which makes the timing of the Atkinson interview interesting. It’s possible he could be in consideration for an assistant role, but it would seem strange to bring him in for another interview before the head coach decision was announced.

knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
7/21/2020  11:38 AM
Uptown wrote:https://dailyknicks.com/2020/07/21/new-york-knicks-kenny-atkinson-third-interview/

I think it's more about

It’s possible he could be in consideration for an assistant role, but it would seem strange to bring him in for another interview before the head coach decision was announced.
ES
Uptown

7/21/2020  1:55 PM
I think Atkinson is looking to be a HC. If not here, there may be a few more opportunities when the season ends. There were reports that Atkinson has some strong internal support to get the head coaching job. I only hope those voices are loud and have pull. I think Atkinson is better suited for this current roster.
martin
Alba Posts: 108
Member: #2
USA
7/21/2020  2:01 PM
Uptown wrote:I think Atkinson is looking to be a HC. If not here, there may be a few more opportunities when the season ends. There were reports that Atkinson has some strong internal support to get the head coaching job. I only hope those voices are loud and have pull. I think Atkinson is better suited for this current roster.

Same

Official sponsor of the PURE KNICKS LOVE Program
smackeddog
7/21/2020  4:21 PM
Uptown wrote:I think Atkinson is looking to be a HC. If not here, there may be a few more opportunities when the season ends. There were reports that Atkinson has some strong internal support to get the head coaching job. I only hope those voices are loud and have pull. I think Atkinson is better suited for this current roster.

Honestly, after decades of this, I can successfully talk myself into ANY move the Knicks make- even managed it a few days after the Bargs trade!

Nalod
USA
7/21/2020  6:02 PM
smackeddog wrote:

Honestly, after decades of this, I can successfully talk myself into ANY move the Knicks make- even managed it a few days after the Bargs trade!

LOL!! and why not! How manay "They don't hire XXX im done, I swear it!"

"Atkinson better suited for this roster"........We hiring for this roster?

Uptown

7/21/2020  6:41 PM    LAST EDITED: 7/21/2020  7:01 PM
Nalod wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Knicks are at ground zero in the rebuild. In Brooklyn, Atkinson did a really good job of building a culture and developing a team that was worse off than we were, into a playoff team in 3 years. Atkinson, imo, is the better coach for where we are in the rebuilding process. Is that better?

wargames
Member: #6053

7/21/2020  6:59 PM
I really hope they hire Atkinson. He’s the only candidate I like based on past performance and I think the fan base mostly likes too.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Nalod
USA
7/21/2020  10:42 PM
Uptown wrote:
Nalod wrote:
smackeddog wrote:

Knicks are at ground zero in the rebuild. In Brooklyn, Atkinson did a really good job of building a culture and developing a team that was worse off than we were, into a playoff team in 3 years. Atkinson, imo, is the better coach for where we are in the rebuilding process. Is that better?

Sean Marks built the team, Atkinson coached it well. I get it. My point is does Leon build this roster out or are big changes a comin’?
Is one better then the other, both reached good levels of success with different paths. Can’t say there is a bad choice of the 11. Reservations about Kidd perhaps but thats more of his personality.
TripleThreat
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #3997

7/22/2020  12:17 AM
Nalod wrote:Is one better then the other, both reached good levels of success with different paths.

Atkinson has

1) Previous history with the current Knicks regime. He's a known quantity.

2) A record of working with fringe rotation guys and getting them to be productive ( The elite coaches in the league are known for this - Spolestra, Carlisle, Popovich)

3) A good reputation around the league. His teams play hard for him, win or lose.

4) His teams play smart and efficient basketball. They didn't have the talent base to push over the top so more talented teams could bully them down in tight matchups.

He's a decade younger than Thibs.

Do you want to know what one of the factors working against him is all about? Dolan doesn't want to lend the perception that he has to take scraps from the other local team.

Another argument is since Durant/Irving drove him out, if a team ups it's talent base, those guys won't want to play with Atkinson

Letting Atkinson walk away the first time was a really stupid decision by the Knicks. If they let him walk away again, it has to be asked if this franchise is doomed. He literally checks all the boxes you want for a coaching candidate. The Nets ****ed up pretty bad here. This is a top 5 coach in the entire league. He's not going to mesh well with lots of elite players, mostly because he won't have a problem benching them for slacking off and telling them to go **** themselves behind closed doors.

I hear people clamoring all the time about coaches who players will respect and will hold them accountable, without touching the clearly sensitive issues that a painfully large majority of NBA players are a bunch of entitled ****suckers. A lot of coaches won't do that because they know it will get them fired even if they are good coaches and get results ( which is what happened with Atkinson and the Nets), clearly Atkinson just doesn't give a **** what anyone feels if it doesn't produce wins.

Sounds like the right kind of coach to me.

The coach you hire is the one you will dread the most if you have to face them coaching some other team.

smackeddog
7/22/2020  3:12 AM

Wonder if this is pushing back on assistant coaches so Rose is considering going with Atkinson instead

Nalod
USA
7/22/2020  7:23 AM
smackeddog wrote:

Wonder if this is pushing back on assistant coaches so Rose is considering going with Atkinson instead

Good point. Also if Thibs is not seen in good light by “stars” and would inhibit free agents might be an issue. You got a lot of personalities with WWW in the mix and Perrin. My point is this is a new front office and they too have to create a chemistry and a unified culture. Not everyone will agree on everything nor should they. Its. Quite possible they are split on whom they want? We just guessing as good as anyone.

Chandler
Member: #6197

7/22/2020  9:45 AM
smackeddog wrote:

decoder ring says, there goes Kidd

(5)(5)
Knicks extending their coaching search...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy