[ IMAGES: Images ON turn off | ACCOUNT: User Status is LOCKED why? ]

Can we please play RJ at the 3 & Knox at the 4...
Author Thread
TLover
Alba Posts: 0
Member: #381
USA
6/17/2020  12:32 AM
The previous regime was so set on playing these guys out of position. Both guys are continuing to grow and their foot speed translate better at the respective positions I suggest. Knox can be that stretch 4 we need. Barrett is a very good rebounder and would make an excellent point forward.
We need guys who can shoot in the backcourt which we can hopefully draft. Randle should be coming off the bench as backup center to Mitch.
AUTOADVERT
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2020  9:58 AM
TLover wrote:The previous regime was so set on playing these guys out of position. Both guys are continuing to grow and their foot speed translate better at the respective positions I suggest. Knox can be that stretch 4 we need. Barrett is a very good rebounder and would make an excellent point forward.
We need guys who can shoot in the backcourt which we can hopefully draft. Randle should be coming off the bench as backup center to Mitch.

Its a good point and perspective in the narrow view of the roster as it stands. Draft picks, FA, and all plethoras of trade potential all dilute the focus.
Knox with man legs might be that stretch 4 over time. I see RJ as a
At the same time what is the long perspective for Randle? Obviously his turnovers are the focus and we see his 20-10 (near) as empty given he was our no. 1 option but we all know at best he is a 3-4th option with a focus on his strengths he is not as awful as percieved.
Im more attached to our rookies than him. Trading him is not an issue for me other than we are not privy to the what the plan is.
Im ok with going with all yooth and not concerned with the past. I just want the coach and front office to define the plan and stick to it.

wargames
Member: #6053

6/17/2020  10:05 AM
I think Knox is a 4 but I do think RJ is a 2. He doesn’t have the size/length to dominate SF like he does against SG.
The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
knicks1248
Alba Posts: 1
Member: #582
6/17/2020  11:11 AM
Let them learn how to shoot and defend consistently before you figure out what role to put them in..
ES
Nalod
Alba Posts: 154
Member: #508
USA
6/17/2020  1:34 PM
wargames wrote:I think Knox is a 4 but I do think RJ is a 2. He doesn’t have the size/length to dominate SF like he does against SG.

Projecting that at 19 at 6-7 and near elite penetration skills for a young rook he will grow to bet a SF.
The "S" in SG is "Shooting".......and thats yet to be demonstrated. His defense improoved as did his FT%. He gets to the line too!
ALl our young guys, Mitch, RJ, Frank and Knox don't have their man legs yet.

Allanfan20
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #542
USA
6/17/2020  3:37 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Let them learn how to shoot and defend consistently before you figure out what role to put them in..

I can be with you on that except there are always in game adjustments. During the past season, RJ played all of 1, 2 and 3 sometimes in a single game.

I agree he has to work on his shooting and defense as does Knox.

“Whenever I’m about to do something, I think ‘Would an idiot do that?’ and if they would, I do NOT do that thing.”- Dwight Schrute
TLover
USA
6/17/2020  10:40 PM
knicks1248 wrote:Let them learn how to shoot and defend consistently before you figure out what role to put them in..

Regardless they have to shoot & defend more consistently but their body types suggest the positions they will excel best at.
Freak’n Kevin Knox looks like he wears cement shoes!

technomaster
Member: #426
USA
6/17/2020  11:07 PM
I'm hopeful that RJ will follow the development arc of some of the recent Duke wings in Tatum & Ingram. He produced very well as a rookie and his numbers were heading up leading to the stoppage.

Is there really that big a difference between the SG/SF roles, other than who you're matched up against defensively? I think the biggest determining factor lies in who the Knicks next best wing player is and whether that player slots in better at SG/SF.

“That was two, two from the heart.” - John Starks
TLover
USA
6/18/2020  8:46 AM
technomaster wrote:I'm hopeful that RJ will follow the development arc of some of the recent Duke wings in Tatum & Ingram. He produced very well as a rookie and his numbers were heading up leading to the stoppage.

Is there really that big a difference between the SG/SF roles, other than who you're matched up against defensively? I think the biggest determining factor lies in who the Knicks next best wing player is and whether that player slots in better at SG/SF.

There are no great 3’s in the draft or free agency - unless we offer Brandon Ingram the max as a restricted free agent and pelicans don’t match.

technomaster
USA
6/18/2020  5:20 PM
TLover wrote:There are no great 3’s in the draft or free agency - unless we offer Brandon Ingram the max as a restricted free agent and pelicans don’t match.

That is actually a fantastic question... who should the Knicks target in free agency? Considering some of the names we missed on in prior drafts, is Ingram worthy?

Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
6/19/2020  6:51 AM
technomaster wrote:
TLover wrote:There are no great 3’s in the draft or free agency - unless we offer Brandon Ingram the max as a restricted free agent and pelicans don’t match.

That is actually a fantastic question... who should the Knicks target in free agency? Considering some of the names we missed on in prior drafts, is Ingram worthy?

Massive fan of Ingram. Would dearly love to see him in the orange and blue. But we have to be realistic here.. he’s far to young and talented!

23yrs old all star. 24.3 Pts / 6.3 trb / 4.3 ast / 46.6 fg

Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/19/2020  7:20 AM
wargames wrote:I think Knox is a 4 but I do think RJ is a 2. He doesn’t have the size/length to dominate SF like he does against SG.

Yep, he goes from having a physical advantage of the 2 to a disadvantage at the 3. Knox doesn't fit anywhere to slow for the 3 can't match up physically at the 4, we should trade him

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
Jmpasq
Member: #4182

6/19/2020  7:23 AM
TLover wrote:
technomaster wrote:I'm hopeful that RJ will follow the development arc of some of the recent Duke wings in Tatum & Ingram. He produced very well as a rookie and his numbers were heading up leading to the stoppage.

There are no great 3’s in the draft or free agency - unless we offer Brandon Ingram the max as a restricted free agent and pelicans don’t match.

I would do that. They will match though

Check out My NFL Draft Prospect Videos at Youtube User Pages Jmpasq,JPdraftjedi,Jmpasqdraftjedi. www.Draftbreakdown.com
knicks1248
Member: #582
6/19/2020  8:52 AM
TLover wrote:

Regardless they have to shoot & defend more consistently but their body types suggest the positions they will excel best at.
Freak’n Kevin Knox looks like he wears cement shoes!

The NBA seems to be down to 2 positions, your either a GUARD or a FWD. Labron, steph Curry, draymond Green and MDA set the trend for position less basket ball.

So for me RJ should be able to play the 1, 2, and 3, and knox should be able to play the 2, 3 and 4.

ES
jrodmc
Alba Posts: 50
Member: #805
USA
6/19/2020  9:48 AM
Knickfury11 wrote:
technomaster wrote:

Massive fan of Ingram. Would dearly love to see him in the orange and blue. But we have to be realistic here.. he’s far to young and talented!

But he's a defensive liability! Sign him up!

fishmike
Member: #298
USA
6/19/2020  3:44 PM
No. RJ's best ceiling is a bully 2 guard who can slash and dish. I see a lot of Jimmy Butler in him and thats a good thing. Knox is a 3 and can overwhelm 3's with his size and athleticism... that is his value. A SG in a PF's body.

These guys just need to get better, not find new positions. Same with Frank... just get better.

"winning is more fun... then fun is fun" -Thibs
Kemet
Member: #6148

6/19/2020  11:34 PM
fishmike wrote:No. RJ's best ceiling is a bully 2 guard who can slash and dish. I see a lot of Jimmy Butler in him and thats a good thing. Knox is a 3 and can overwhelm 3's with his size and athleticism... that is his value. A SG in a PF's body.

These guys just need to get better, not find new positions. Same with Frank... just get better.

The Knicks had the chance in the 2019 offseason to give veteran leadership players Center Andre Jordan, SF-Morris, and PG-Beverley a 4 yr contract to mentor the Knicks young-core players throughout their rookie contracts. The Knicks now have to hire the right GM/Coach to bring in the right veteran players in the 2020 offseason to improve the growth of their young-core players.

wargames
Member: #6053

6/20/2020  5:33 AM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2020  7:40 AM
Honestly I know there is a 99% chance the Pelicans re-sign him, but the Knicks should throw a Poison Pill Max at Brandon Ingram. I know the odds are really low, but if a small chance it happens, it would be worth it.

In that case

RJ
Ingram
Knox

The algorithm gives and the algorithm takes away
Knickfury11
Member: #8856
United Kingdom
6/20/2020  8:02 AM
wargames wrote:Honestly I know there is a 99% chance the Pelicans re-sign him, but the Knicks should throw a Poison Pill Max at Brandon Ingram. I know the odds are really low, but if a small chance it happens, it would be worth it.

In that case

RJ
Ingram
Knox

I’d endorse that move for Ingram. Like you say not much chance it happens - NO front line of the future, Ingram, Zion and Hayes. That’s serious potential league beware!!

technomaster
USA
6/20/2020  10:30 PM    LAST EDITED: 6/20/2020  10:42 PM
jrodmc wrote:
Knickfury11 wrote:
technomaster wrote:

But he's a defensive liability! Sign him up!

Well, it seems as if Ingram has learned how to shoot - in 2019-2020, Ingram's been an impressive 39% 3pt and an 86% FT. I think when you shoot that well you get forgiven for your defense. He's also come across as a very unselfish player. 4.3apg this year, 3.2apg over his career. Someone like Ingram would probably play well alongside RJ.

As good as Marcus Morris was for the Knicks, he's a bit of a black hole - 1.4apg for the Knicks, 1.5apg for his career, especially if you consider him a wing player and not a PF. Barrett moves well without the ball and wasn't rewarded enough for that skill set this year.

So... acquiring Ingram, sure!

Quick Edit: If the Knicks were interested in Ingram... should the Knicks be willing to include RJ Barrett in a sign & trade to get him? We know Zion and RJ are practically besties and would love to play together again.

RJ's younger and cheaper, but isn't his best case upside basically what Ingram is producing now? Plus you take away the (very likely) chance that the Knicks botch his development, as they have with basically every draft pick since Patrick Ewing - err, David Lee turned out pretty good too. :o

Going back to college stats and earlier, RJ put up bigger #s than Ingram in their single years at Duke...
Barrett: 23.3 PER, 6.5 WS.
Ingram: 22.5 PER, 4.9 WS.

Can we please play RJ at the 3 & Knox at the 4...

©2001-2012 ultimateknicks.comm All rights reserved. About Us.
This site is not affiliated with the NY Knicks or the National Basketball Association in any way.
You may visit the official NY Knicks web site by clicking here.

All times (GMT-05:00) Eastern Time.

Terms of Use and Privacy Policy